Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Humble Utility Knife.

Chako · 167 · 8592

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: The Humble Utility Knife.
Reply #60 on: June 23, 2017, 12:27:13 PM
Husky Sliding Utility Knife.

Another Husky branded Utility knife, but this time featuring a sliding blade mechanism. The folding design does make this one compact, but at the cost of deployment speed. You first have to unfold the knife carrier which locks via a liner lock. Then you have to slide the blade out for use. The blade exchange locking mechanism is simple and well designed, as is the included pocket clip.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- well designed pocket clip
- compact
- lock back

Cons:
- design means an extra step to use the knife

Overall, this one is really nice for this type of design. The pocket clip is a winner as is the simple blade locking mechanism. I always prefer a lock back to a liner lock most days.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #61 on: June 23, 2017, 12:30:52 PM
Husky Utility Knife.

Another Husky utility knife, but his one is more conventional in shape. Featuring that killer pocket clip, an all metal construction, and that easy to use blade locking mechanism, this one is a good all around design.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- good pocket clip
- easy to use blade swapping system
- lock back

Cons:
- Can't think of any

Overall, this one is a good all around design with the right features that make this knife easy to use, and comfortable for long usage.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: June 23, 2017, 12:34:58 PM
SHOPRO Professional Utility Knife.

I have a pair of these because they came in a 2 pack. The liner lock is positive in use, which is a good thing. The blade retention mechanism is also simple and elegant. Just pull up on a metal tab to disengage the internal blade lock. Narrow pocket clip is a slight detraction from an overall good knife.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- simple blade swap mechanism

Cons:
- narrow style pocket clip

Overall, a nice little folder slightly let down by a narrow pocket clip.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #63 on: June 23, 2017, 12:40:58 PM
Super Knife Utility Knife.

This Super Knife branded utility knife is a no frills knife in that you need a screw driver to swap the blade. The pocket clip is also of the less desired narrow type (in my opinion). On the plus side, the handle is very ergonomic. Because of that screw, the blade is also very solid and exhibits no side to side rattle.

Pros:
- Blade is locked on with no wiggle
- liner lock is positive and sure

Cons:
- No quick blade exchange system
- narrow type pocket clip

Overall, the Super Knife is a sturdy and simple utility knife. I like that the blade does not wiggle, but I would much rather have a convenient way of exchanging a blade on a job site, or out in the field.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: June 23, 2017, 12:46:34 PM
Unknown Brand Utility Knife.

Here is another plastic handled utility knife, that at least gives you a metal blade carrier. The really cheap ones out here are all plastic. That plastic handle is sculpted in such a way that it really fits my big paws making this one feel just right. Much like most plastic handled utility knifes, this knife does have some bend to it. Nothing much, but there is that small amount of flex to the handles. At least there are no creaks when the handles do flex sightly. The quick change blade mechanism is of a good design and won't bind on you. The biggest flaw whit this one is the lack of a pocket clip. With that said, it is a very light knife and won't feel like a brick in your pocket.

Pros:
- ergonomic design
- good blade swapping mechanism

Cons:
- plastic handle
- no pocket clip

Overall, not a bad little utility knife. A pocket clip would have been a good addition.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: June 23, 2017, 12:56:55 PM
DeWALT Sliding Utility Knife.

I have a few DeWALT banded utility knives in my collection, and I tend to find them as always being very compact but fat knives. This one is no exception. This folding slider suffers from that extra step needed to deploy the blade. Not an issue once you get used to it. The width of this knife would suggest there is extra blade storage somewhere, and there is. The back hinges open via a small plastic push tab on the bottom rear of the knife. The sliding thumb button does stick out on this model when closed, meaning it can get caught in things. The included pocket clip is narrow which I do not like as much as a wider pocket clip. The blade swapping mechanism is a bit poorly implemented on this knife. It involves pressing down on a poorly designed and sculpted oval black button which didn't offer a positive action. This makes a simple operation into something that may involve cursing.

Pros:
- compact and fat which makes it quite ergonomic
- included wire cutting function
- extra blade storage

Cons:
- folding slider means it takes one extra step to deploy and store away
- pocket clip is not the best design out there
- thumb slider hangs out there and will get caught on something sooner or later
- extra blade storage compartment is accessed via a terrible little plastic clip

Overall, not a bad little knife offering a few extra blades hidden in the handle.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:15:10 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #66 on: June 23, 2017, 01:06:04 PM
DeWALT Sliding Utility Knife.

This more angular and less ergonomic cousin to the above knife offers most of what the other knife did, but with a better extra blade storage compartment. Both knives are of similar size and width. This model features a slightly wider pocket clip, but what I really would like to see is that tip to be wider. I just find those to be very easy to clip on and off compared to the narrower designs. Improved on this knife is the larger blade swapping mechanism button. Still a slight PITA to use however as sometimes it does not engage properly leaving you with a slight struggle to release the blade.

Pros:
- compact and fat, which makes it quite ergonomic
- included extra blade storage compartment that is easier to access compared to the above DeWALT model mentioned in the previous post
- liner lock is a good one

Cons:
- pocket clip
- no include wire cutting function
- sliding thumb button hangs a good distance from the body meaning it will get caught up in something
- overall shape when closed does get caught up on pockets, especially that flat surface of the knife carrier

Overall, another not bad knife. At least this one offers extra blade storage, so I do not feel all that bad for the fatness of this tool.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 01:17:15 PM by Chako »

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: June 24, 2017, 03:36:39 AM
Skil Utility Knife.

I do not have much to say about this one. Another plastic bodied utility knife with no pocket clip. It does have a good design for the blade swapping mechanism.

Pros:
- ergonomic
- good design blade locking mechanism
- lock back

Cons:
- Plastic body
- no pocket clip

Overall, this is an average utility knife with a few good features thrown in for good measure.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: June 24, 2017, 03:49:54 AM
Stanley FATMAX Sliding Utility Knife.

If ever there was a tool happily named, this is it. This utility knife is indeed fat. It also features a folding slider design. Surprisingly there is no extra blade storage. I did  indeed pull of that black textured plastic upper plate to see if there was a hidden compartment. Sadly no, and I was able to re-attach the plate to the knife with no ill effects. Changing the blade on this one is a bit different. The user has to push the thumb stud all the way forward. This exposed enough of the blade to do an easy blade swap.

Pros:
- fat design does add comfort to the end user
- A longer knife then usual

Cons:
- narrow pocket clip
- blade exchanger is difficult to get to via the sliding thumb button
- criminal to not use that added space for extra blade storage
- thumb button sticks out, making it easy to catch in things

Overall, this is one long knife that I do not much care for design wise. it is comfortable to use, but there are things I am not overly fond of. Greatest of all is the way to remove a blade. Quite often, it is a struggle to get the thumb button past the stop into blade exchanging territory.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #70 on: June 24, 2017, 08:14:00 AM

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #71 on: June 24, 2017, 12:16:24 PM
Husky Utility Knife Set.

Here is a nice set of two larger knives packaged with a smaller key chain knife. All feature all metal construction in a tasteful gray. I like how the smaller key chain knife is a miniature of the smaller knife. This set features a lock back with an easy to use blade exchange mechanism of the variety where you press down on a metal stud, lifting a bar which moves out of the way to easily slide in and out an old or new blade. A pocket clip is not included.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- easy blade swapping
- includes a smaller as well as 2 larger utility knives

Cons:
- smaller blades for the key chain utility knife are harder to source
- lack of  a pocket clip

Overall, a nice set that is well made but let down with the absence of a pocket clip.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: June 24, 2017, 12:25:10 PM
Grip Utility Knife.

Meet the Grip, This utility knife's shape not only features a very grippy rubber insert, but the shape of the metallic bodied knife also prevents the hand from slipping upwards onto the blade section. This knife is a slider, and the thumb button is a very good design that won't get caught on other objects. What I really like about this knife however is the wheel mechanism to swap blades. Roll the wheel, thereby removing the locking mechanism for simple and easy blade swapping. This rolling mechanism is a winner in my books.

Pros:
- all metal construction with good rubber grips
- sliding button is well designed
- wheel mechanism is simply brilliant making blade changes easy and quick

Cons:
- pocket clip could be improved, even though it is not at all bad compared to many more narrower examples out there

Overall, the Grip is a good utility knife.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #73 on: June 24, 2017, 12:31:15 PM
Turboknife X Utility Knife.

This trio pretty much started my collection, so these were some of the first purchases. What caught my eye first was the design. Those stylistic metal folds just caught the light and drew me. I had to buy one of each colour at that point. Going beyond the flash, these sliding type utility knives offer a lot in the design department as well. Much like the Grip above, these offer the wonderful wheel style blade exchange mechanism that I really like. The only let down, much like the Grip, but only slightly more so, is the narrower style pocket clip.

Pros:
- eye catching aesthetics
- Sliding mechanism is silky smooth and the thumb button won't catch on things
- wheel blade exchange mechanism

Cons:
- pocket clip could be wider and thus easier to use

Overall, much like the Grip, but only sexier, the Turboknife X is a good design overall.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: June 24, 2017, 12:40:22 PM
Mastercraft Combo Utility Knife.

Here is another example sold from Canadian Tire, a big store chain found in Canada. This one is a bit of an odd duck in that no pocket clip is offered, and you get a nice plain edge knife along with the utility knife. This handle style is still sold in Canadian Tire unlike the nicer looking textured metal utility knives I will be showing you further down this parade. The utility knife part is a typical slider, with one unique exception. To remove a used blade and insert a new one, you have to press a fixed button on the body (white) while having the blade sliding mechanism at a specific spot that aligns that button with a part found on the metal blade carrier.

Pros:
- both a plain edge blade and a utility knife
- sliding thumb button won't get caught on other stuff
- blade exchange mechanism works good and will not jam or hinder  you during a blade swap

Cons:
- no pocket clip

Overall, this is a good knife combo that could only have gotten better with the addition of a pocket clip. At lest the blade does not have any serrations...for those who do not like them.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 12:50:43 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #75 on: June 24, 2017, 12:50:00 PM
Mastercraft Maximum Utility Knife.

Another Canadian Tire utility knife, this time from their higher up Maximum tool line, this one is super ergonomic and excels for delicate jobs that require top notch knife control. It does this by allowing you to put your index finger through the blades pivot point. The design is neat and really works, but not all is good. The blade exchange mechanism is a sculpted button that you must push in while removing and adding a blade. I found this to not disengage well at times, meaning it can be an unnecessary struggle. The pocket clip is super narrow. If you have read up to this point, you may have noted I like wider pocket clips that feature spatula tips. I find these will slide onto a pocket easier than narrow variants.

Pros:
- It is all about that hole
- metal blade holder cut away to give you more cutting surface compared to the standard style blade holder

Cons:
- lackluster pocket clip design
- swapping blades can be a struggle...and it never needs to be such with the proper locking mechanism

Overall, this utility knife is somewhat unique in that it allows you to place your index finger through the knife pivot point. This offers you increased control for those jobs that require maximum control.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: June 24, 2017, 01:02:22 PM
Mastercraft Combo Utility Knife.

Another Canadian Tire utility knife. I have a series of these that will be posted here this morning. These are now not sold at Canadian Tire, replaced by the above knife style mentioned on the previous post. That is a shame as I really like the metal grip pattern on these now discontinued utility knives. This one is a combo utility knife in that it not only offers the usual utility functions, but also a half serrated knife blade, along with a folding carabiner. This knife is of the sliding type, and I will say, the thumb button does not stick out from the body of the knife, ensuring that you shouldn't get hung up on it. Look at that lovely wheel blade locking mechanism. This is what frustrates me a little. Here is an older knife with a better blade exchange mechanism far superior to the newer Maximum knife above with a crappy exchange mechanism. Mind you, Canadian Tire does not produce these for their Mastercraft label. In fact, I am certain you will find these knives with different labels elsewhere. Still, at least be consistent with better features.

Pros:
- all metal textured body
- wheel blade exchanging mechanism
- included knife blade plus a carabiner
- sliding mechanism is silky smooth and the thumb button is designed well

Cons:
- lack of a pocket clip (at least you do get a carabiner)

Overall, this is a good knife with a good set of features.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:10:38 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #77 on: June 24, 2017, 01:09:34 PM
Mastercraft Utility Knife.

Another Canadian Tire discontinued utility knife. This one differs in having extra blade storage in the body. This is accessed via a small discreet black slider button found on the side of the handle.

Pros:
- included extra blade storage in the handle
- sliding mechanism is silky smooth and the thumb button should not get hung up on things

Cons:
- narrow style pocket clip

Overall, a good utility knife let down slightly by a narrow pocket clip. The extra blade storage is compact and works great.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #78 on: June 24, 2017, 01:16:36 PM
Mastercraft Utility Knife

Another Canadian Tire branded utility knife with a very different feature, much like the others in this series. This one is very unique in having a ratchet mechanism controlled by a sliding button. One way for forward movement, center to lock, and the other for backward movement. Like a real ratchet, you can lock the blade in many degrees. The annoying thing about this mechanism however, is that you have to constantly play with the sliding master button...but once you get used to this, there is no going back.

Pros:
- ratchet mechanism
- included carabiner

Cons:
- no pocket clip
- ratchet mechanism

Overall, another good utility knife with a unique twist. The ratchet mechanism isn't as simple to use as most others, but it offers you blade angle locking flexibility that no other utility knife on the market can.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #79 on: June 24, 2017, 01:26:34 PM
Stanley Fat Max Utility Knife.

Stanley's folder in the Fat Max lineup, this utility knife is fat for its size. This makes the knife comfortable for my big paws. Hidden inside is an extra blade storage compartment. This is good. What isn't so good however is the open design of said storage compartment. This is problematic seeing that these blades usually have a thin coating of oil which if you are cutting chip rock, will gunk up these blades before you can use them. On the other hand, you can tell how many you have stored away with a quick glance. There is an added feature to this knife...and that is the included flat driver/bottle opener seen pocking out of the blade pivot point when the knife is closed. Pocket clip is narrow...argh!

Pros:
- extra blade storage
- bottle opener/flat driver
- positive liner lock
- fat ergonomics

Cons:
- pocket clip is of the narrow variant
- extra blade storage compartment open to the environment

Overall, a nice folder with a few design flaws.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: June 24, 2017, 01:32:42 PM
Irwin Utility Knife.

Here is a nice compact utility knife from Irwin which is owned by Stanley Black & Decker. The liner lock is a good one with a positive lock. There is an included wire cutter feature, the pocket clip, although has a narrow tip, splays out nice and wide to better hold the knife in place. The one let down of this knife is the blade retention mechanism. It is a bit fiddly to press the button to disengage the blade retention mechanism. I really like the shape of this knife...but for me, if I have to struggle to exchange a blade, it sort of ruins it for me. The Irwin Utility knife does this for me.

Pros:
- ergonomic and compact shape
- pocket clip does a good job of keeping the knife in place
- positive liner lock done right

Cons:
- blade exchange mechanism

Overall, a great little knife with a poorly designed blade exchanging mechanism.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #81 on: June 24, 2017, 01:38:56 PM

Here is another unknown brand utility knife. The rounded shape of this knife makes it very comfortable for extended use. The paint is bright and makes the tool easy to find. The blade exchange mechanism is one of the good designs. Press down on the metal stud lifts a bar which disengages with the grooves on the utility blade. Simple and positive every time. The pocket clip is narrow, which is a common lament of mine.

Pros:
- all metal construction with ergonomic rounded edges
- excellent blade swapping mechanism
- easy to find paint colour

Cons:
- Paint won't last hard use
- pocket clip is narrow

Overall, a nice little utility knife that is fairly well thought out. The blade exchange system is a winner, as is the body shape of this knife.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: June 24, 2017, 01:44:43 PM

If I thought the above knife offers ergonomics, this one is so much better. That body shape fits my pawns to perfection with its rounded edges. Furthermore, there is a sliding button locking mechanism that will prevent the blade from opening in your pocket. This sliding button is silky smooth and give me more feedback than a button seen on many other utility knives. In other aspects, this knife is very similar to the one mentioned in the previous post. Both have that winner type blade swapping mechanism. Both are painted a bright reddish colour. Both offer the same type of pocket clip.

Pros:
- all metal construction with ergonomic rounded edges
- excellent blade swapping mechanism
- easy to find paint colour

Cons:
- Paint won't last hard use
- pocket clip is narrow

Overall, I like this one a little better than the previous utility knife for its rounded shape and locking mechanism.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #83 on: June 24, 2017, 01:57:37 PM
COAST Utility Knife.

I must say, this is a rather largish utility knife that does offer extra blade storage in the handle. How it gets there is problematic. Much like that slider utility knife that hinged and made the whole knife rather a hand full, this one does the same. The handle hinges, making the knife awkward to juggle. I have dumped all those blades on the floor twice...not a good thing especially when bare foot. Mind you, on the job site with proper footwear, this won't be as dangerous, but still annoying as all get out. The handles are of a textured plastic which is ok. It does make the knife feel super cheap however. The pocket clip is of the worst design being all narrow. There is a liner lock for the main blade section. Interestingly enough, there is also a small lever found on the upper section of the knife pivot point that will double lock the knife blade open...for those that feel a liner lock can be easily disengaged...so that is an added safety feature. There is an include Thumb ring for added control of the knife.

Pros:
- extra blade storage
- grippy textured plastic
- extra safety lock
- blade exchange mechanism works very good for this type of design

Cons:
- hinged access door to blade storage
- bad pocket clip design

Overall, this utility knife offers both good and bad design elements. That hinged door is an accident causer in my opinion. Worst pocket clip design I have see. Oh it will keep the knife there, but it will travel around with any movement of the user.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: June 24, 2017, 02:03:19 PM
Foldable Knife Utility Knife.

Umm, where do I start with this one. Let's just say, when I saw this hanging on some store's peg board, I just had to have it for the name. This is like selling a knife with "knife" written on it. With that said, this knife follows the generic utility knife formula...which is oddly superior to many name branded and more expensive utility knives. You get a lock back combined with a good blade exchanging mechanism. Once again a crappy second thought pocket clip, but the body on these tend to be comfortable.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- blade swapping mechanism
- lock back

Cons:
- pocket clip could be better

Overall, a good generic utility knife. I have to wonder why more expensive branded knives do not use this type of easy blade exchange mechanism. It seems most of the cheap generic knives use them, meaning there should't be big royalties in its implementation. Just food for thought.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: June 24, 2017, 02:10:04 PM
Sears Craftsman Utility Knife.

Here is another Sears branded utility knife. Much like Canadian Tire, sears never makes their own products other than just branding them from the OEM. This folding knife offers a nicely textured all metal construction with a kick ass pocket clip featured that wide spatula tip I like so much. The let down with this knife is the sub par blade exchanging mechanism.

Pros:
- pocket clip done right
- lock back

Cons:
- blade swapping mechanism

Overall, this is a rather nice knife let down with a blade exchanging mechanism that isn't the smoothest and easiest to use.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: June 24, 2017, 03:17:00 PM

Here is another utility knife that features an ergonomic rubber/plastic grip. At least there is a metal foundation underneath which is better than an all plastic construction. The blade exchange mechanism works good, but the shape of the button allows the fingers to slip off of it.

Pros:
- good grip and ergonomics
- blade exchange mechanism works good and is consistent

Cons:
- no pocket clip
- blade exchange button shape allows the fingers to slip off of it at times.

Overall, an average utility knife that lacks a pocket clip.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #87 on: June 24, 2017, 03:20:18 PM
Mastercraft Utility Knife Set.

These came in pairs and are made for Canadian Tire. I really like these because they are very slim. Combine that with a great pocket clip, a good blade exchange system, and a lock back, makes this one a great utility knife.

Pros:
- slim and ergonomic
- lock back
- pocket clip

Cons:
- I can't think of any

Overall, this is one sleek thin pocket knife with all the right features.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #88 on: June 24, 2017, 03:27:07 PM
Mastercraft Safety Utility Knife.

This atrocity is what happens when folks take the safety thing to extremes. You get something that is less than ideal and a major PITA to use. The idea behind this travesty is that management can't trust their employees ending up in accidents which results in the invariable time off and possible compensation down the road. So someone somewhere decided to make an idiot proof knife. This knife has the whole blade covered up. To pop it out, you have to press down and make that angled front straight. This will automatically show some sharp blade. However, the amount that is shown is laughable. To change a blade, you have to pop up a small hatch door using a screwdriver, as my nails weren't strong enough to open it. The body is shaped like a mouse, and the whole thing is bonkers crazy. I just had to have it for the collection though because it is nuts.

Pros:
- I can't think of any

Cons:
- everything

Overall, a knife designed to take safety to its extremes where the safety features get in the way ending up with something that has no soul, and can barely do the job of cutting boxes.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 03:28:27 PM by Chako »

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: June 24, 2017, 03:34:03 PM
Stanley 99E Sliding Utility Knife.

Here is something for the more traditional user. The Stanley 99E has been around for ages, and is the type of knife many people think of when they think of a utility knife. Made from all metal construction with room to store extra blades in the handle, this knife is heavy duty. The sliding mechanism is smooth and the thumb button won't snag because it doesn't stick out from the body much. The biggest issue with this knife, is you will need a screw driver to do blade exchanges as the body is held together by a single screw.

Pros:
- all metal construction
- heavy duty

Cons:
- need a screw driver to open the knife up

Overall, it is knives like the Stanley 99E that has been around forever that are the foundations for many people calling a utility knife, a "Stanley". You can't go wrong with this knife. It doesn't offer many fancy features, but what it does offer is rock solid.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69