Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on the new Skeletool and Juice line

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
on: June 21, 2017, 07:22:56 PM
Just wondering what you all think about the new tools from Leatherman. I really want a Skeletool KB but every time I go to order one I second guess it. I'm not sure what it is but it just seems like a possible waste of money. It could just be my thoughts on Leatherman stealing MTO members idea on these. It cannot be proven but MTO members have been modifying their full size into half size Leathermans for some time now and it appears they directly stole the idea from us without even a thank you. Maybe that's what is holding me back. Not sure.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Thoughts on the new Skeletool and Juice line
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 08:20:04 PM
Well only one way to find out. Mustered up the strength to order a Skeletool KB. Initial impressions once it gets here.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 09:10:16 PM
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it Cap :salute: :like:

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 12:37:59 AM
Mine came in yesterday  :D I ordered a KB and a KBX. The reason I ordered both, (besides just for the heck of it), was I thought I really loved the green one, but liked the plain edge better than the combo. Turns out, the green doesn't wow me in person as much as I thought it might so my favorite is the KB. The black looks pretty good to me actually, along with the polished steel.
Make no mistake, the KB is very light. I think 1.3 oz or somewhere near there. It almost seems to be more blade than handle but seems balanced pretty well. Size wise it's definitely more akin to a pairing knife then a larger folder but the grip is actually quite comfortable to me. In my medium sized hands, just a portion of my pinky contacts the end tip of the handle. Obviously it's not as secure in my grip as say my Kershaw Skyline, but it's decent for sure.
The blade itself is my favorite part, I really like the shape for some reason and though it came pretty sharp it really took a nice edge. So much so that I'm kind of afraid of practicing OHO for fear of slicing my finger. It can be done but the smaller handle makes it dicey IMHO. (Same with closing one handed). The blade lock clicks right into center with a nice audible snap. Strange I didn't notice before, (I don't own a skeletool), but the last 1/2" or so of the handle, or scales are open. I mean the blade is sandwiched in between but the scales if you can call them that are not connected. Seems like there is the potential for part of it to bend in and sort of pinch the blade but when I squeeze it hard it does seem very solid.
Anyhow, I  :like: it. I'm going to try just carrying it with my micra for EDC and see how that works out.
First time trying to post a pic, let's see if this works ....
IMG_0766.JPG
* IMG_0766.JPG (Filesize: 214.35 KB)
IMG_0767.JPG
* IMG_0767.JPG (Filesize: 182.45 KB)

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 12:42:28 AM
And yes, that's a pretty big strawberry  :) (I probably should have pointed that out in the previous post, ha ha)

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 12:49:21 AM
I bought on from a local store here. It was more curiosity than anything. After handling it, I felt I had a place. I mean it's the same blade as the Skeletool except without the other weight.
I carry a mini paraframe from time to time as a lightweight backup knife. I find this to be very similar. The KB being one hand open was a big plus for me. I found that to be the one disadvantages for the mini paraframe.

To call the KB a multitool would be a stretch. It's a knife with a bottle open on the clip. Hardly noteworthy in my opinion.  As a knife it does what it's supposed to. A decent utility type blade.
Is it worth $25? Well it is made in the USA. So that a plus for me personally. Secondly it has a 25yr warranty.
I'd personally like to see it in the $15 price point. I bought it because I enjoy the blade on my Skeletool. It was the first leatherman that ever peaked my interest. But the name on the side of the knife really means very little to me compared to the qualities it offers in a lightweight knife.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 12:51:37 AM by 4everYoung »

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 01:04:39 AM
Another perspective or comparison on size.

Here is the KB next to a Kershaw scallion:

IMG_0769.JPG
* IMG_0769.JPG (Filesize: 216.43 KB)

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 01:07:40 AM
4everyoung, That set up you are holding is about what I like for EDC  :) Though I think I prefer the micra, the styles are awesome as well. That combo actually gives a pretty decent set of small tools with really negligible weight.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 01:38:05 AM
Thanks for all the great info guys!
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:26:19 AM
Any chance of a pic that shows the thickness?
Are there two screws fixing the liner lock to the scale (which are otherwise some sort of flush pin in the standard Skeletool)?

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 01:41:25 PM
Any chance of a pic that shows the thickness?
Are there two screws fixing the liner lock to the scale (which are otherwise some sort of flush pin in the standard Skeletool)?

Here's some of it compared to the min paraframe and a tube of chapstick. The Skeletool is actually thinner than the Gerber except at the upper part of the clip (where the bottle opener is).
And yes there is 2 screw holding the liner lock in place instead of the pins.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 03:51:10 PM
Great pictures.  I think these would be a no brainer for LM fans at $15.  With so many really great knives at that price I can understand hesitance.  At $15 is skipping take out or a pizza to try it out. 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 10:48:41 PM
Thanks!  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31