Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave or Rebar? If you had to choose only 1

kaput · 56 · 11685

Poll

For people who own both the Leatherman Wave and Leatherman Rebar, which do you prefer and why?

Wave
28 (63.6%)
Rebar
16 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 41

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Wave or Rebar? If you had to choose only 1
on: June 22, 2017, 06:19:44 AM
So the rebar has an awl and the wave has scissors... with some other differences like replaceable wire cutters or outside opening tools. (Not talking about modded tools here)

Just curious if you have owned and spent time with both what would you choose and why?

Thanks
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Wave or Rebar? If you had to choose only 1
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 06:26:03 AM
Own and use both extensively and if I could only have one it would be the Wave. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the rebar and it actually gets more use but if it came down to it, it would get the boot.
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:44:23 AM
The Wave feels like a higher quality tool to me then my Rebar.
I'd pick it over the other any day.
+ OHO, some outside tools, ...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 07:22:23 AM
No shocker here, Wave. 

I've beat my reasons to death throughout this forum.  The Wave ticks so many boxes for me personally. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 07:56:49 AM
So, is the rebar pointless if your edc'ing a Wave then? Rebar best for backup duties then?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 08:05:24 AM
Rebar makes a great carry no doubt.  As compared to the Wave IMO falls short for what I need a MT for. 

Hell I have Surges, ST300s, MUTs, so I think all tools have their place.  I just prefer to carry the Wave as it ticks so many boxes for me.  I can tell you carrying the Wave without bit cards for me is pointless.   
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Padre

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:32:59 AM
Wave. Rebar takes more abuse (not counting the cutters), but other than that Wave wins.
Leatherman:
Charge TTi, AL, Squirt PS4, Surge, Juice XE6, CS4, S2, ST300, Crunch, OHT, MUT, Rebar, Brewzer, Signal, Raptor, Tool Adapter, Croc, Wave, Style CS, Freestyle, Skeletool RX, Micra, Wingman
SOG:
PPP, PowerLock, SwitchPlier 2.0, Paratool, PowerAssist, Reactor, CrossCut, PowerPlay
Gerber:
FliK, MP600 ProScout, MP600 blunt, Dime, MP-1, Diesel, MP400
Bahco:
MTT151, MTT051, MTT121
Knives:
Spyderco PM2, Tatanka, Bug, ZT 0452CF, CS Recon1XL, Benchmade 940-1 and 482
SAKs:
Too many to list here...

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 09:49:34 AM
Wave every time. No love here for the Rebar,just plan don't like it.

Mind you,I'd still rather have a Spirit :whistle:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 10:31:36 AM
Out those two I'd have the wave, modded with a rebar plier head  :D

I'll just leave this here

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 11:26:08 AM
Wave! There's so much to like about this tool. The flexibility in carry options, outboard knives and saws are always superior to inboard, diamond file, versatile drivers, and adaptors to make them even more versatile.... all in all, a bloody good tool. It might not suit every task, such as recessed screws, but overall it's a winner.

The Rebar has inferior internal knives and saws, and I also consider the knives to be a little too thin. Horrible plier head, the awl is a joke - might as well use the can opener, the perpetual handle splay issues, absolutely covered in hotspots when using pliers and the internal tools. The driver that would otherwise be great for terminal blocks has a taper on it which renders it useless in some settings. Total fail in my opinion. I've tried this tool twice, and moved it on quickly both times. First time I left it standard, second time I modded it and still hated it.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 11:54:13 AM
I am going to add a vote for the Rebar ::) I am more of a fan of inside tools, in my line of work mortar and sand gets everywhere and in everything  :ahhh :ahhh The box style keeps more crud out :D I love my Wave but it sees very little time because others tools always seem to get carried over it :shrug:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 11:57:20 AM
Out those two I'd have the wave, modded with a rebar plier head  :D

I'll just leave this here

:dd: Very nice MT you have there Kevin :D :like:

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 12:11:09 PM
With OHO, you can easily ditch your dedicated folder for the day and not stress with the Wave by your side. That's if you don't mind the extra 25% percent in weight compared with the Rebar.

I think it's also important to establish what is your carry for?Work or outdoors/survival or around the house and out and about?
Unless your collecting that is :tu:
Then get both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 01:42:31 PM
My vote goes to the Rebar  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: June 22, 2017, 03:46:58 PM
I am going to add a vote for the Rebar ::) I am more of a fan of inside tools, in my line of work mortar and sand gets everywhere and in everything  :ahhh :ahhh The box style keeps more crud out :D I love my Wave but it sees very little time because others tools always seem to get carried over it :shrug:

This forum is great for this exact reason.  While the Wave seem the better choice clearly the choice is best made factoring in work environment. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 04:11:46 PM

This forum is great for this exact reason.  While the Wave seem the better choice clearly the choice is best made factoring in work environment.

Even the otherwise superb Spirit has issues with those kinds of working conditions. Neither it nor the Wave would be my choice for work where there's a good chance they'll be muddied or otherwise gunked up. The interior tool type MT definitely has an advantage there.

Show content
Although I'd probably take an MP600 over my Rebar  ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: June 22, 2017, 04:18:30 PM
Yet another tool we hear (Spirit) wouldn't be the tool of choice for those who work in certain environments.  I don't honestly think I can remember hearing this particular reasoning.  It makes perfect sense and since I don't work in those environments didn't give it much thought. 

Thanks guys. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 22, 2017, 04:46:51 PM
Everyone's opinions are well received. And although the wave is out to a resounding lead in the poll, I like the points and perspective given to carrying the rebar as well.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: June 22, 2017, 05:12:44 PM
I like seeing different perspectives as well :tu: I carried a Supertool in one form or the other until the Rebar came out and since I love the toolset and form of the ST so much then the Rebar seemed a no brainer to me :salute: I have been carrying a ST 300 all week except Monday and may just swap to the Rebar tomorrow because of this thread  :salute: :like:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 05:14:40 PM by Poncho65 »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 22, 2017, 05:31:04 PM

Even the otherwise superb Spirit has issues with those kinds of working conditions. Neither it nor the Wave would be my choice for work where there's a good chance they'll be muddied or otherwise gunked up. The interior tool type MT definitely has an advantage there.

Show content

I would take a MP600 too (or a Diesel for that matter), but I totally agree that tool choices are a very personal thing. There have been occasions where I have recommended a tool I loathe because it seemed to be the best tool for the person in question based on their specified requirements.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 05:36:37 PM

Show content

I would take a MP600 too (or a Diesel for that matter), but I totally agree that tool choices are a very personal thing. There have been occasions where I have recommended a tool I loathe because it seemed to be the best tool for the person in question based on their specified requirements.

Apples and oranges :D Cause there is no way I would trade my Rebar for a MP600 :ahhh :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 06:36:27 PM

Show content

Apples and oranges :D Cause there is no way I would trade my Rebar for a MP600 :ahhh :D

... and the reverse applies here  :D :cheers:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #22 on: June 22, 2017, 06:42:48 PM
Never used a Wave, but it is very similar to my Surge and Charge to make me appreciate the design. I woud prefer a Surge like pair of scissors in the Wave/Charge and that means a blade changer also.
I wouldn't even buy a Rebar to try it, because if it can't have all the blades on the outside, it should have the knives and scissors at least to suit me.

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #23 on: June 22, 2017, 07:01:41 PM

I grew up liking SAKs better than plier based MTs.   :climber:  I had used the sliding Gerber models and I used some of the butterfly folding Leatherman knock-offs.  Because of these tools I HATED plier based MTs.  I knew the pliers themselves were way better than any of the little pliers on SAK type tools, but I couldn’t get passed the way you had to open the pliers just to get out the knife, the saw, etc.  And I hated how the blade would face the middle of the tool.

Then one day my brother bought the first Wave.  He showed it to me and I told him how I didn’t like those tools.  Then he showed me the outside accessible OHO blades and how all 4 of the outside tools had liner locks.  And as soon as I held the tool in my hand with the blade facing the right direction, I was sold.   :drool:  I will never spend money on a plier based tool that doesn’t have some kind of outside accessible blades.   :tu:

I love the Rebar plier head and that’s why I bought the Signal as soon as it came out.   I know that there are a number of great reasons to buy a Rebar over a Wave but for me, I just feel like that would be willingly taking a step backward in MT innovation. 

* mp600-cc-knife.jpg (Filesize: 18.19 KB)
Leatherman-Wave-Plain-Edge-Knife.jpg
* Leatherman-Wave-Plain-Edge-Knife.jpg (Filesize: 45.86 KB)

bg Offline Kazaril

• AC / DC Tecnician
Reply #24 on: June 22, 2017, 07:05:33 PM
GO to store, where WAVE and REBAR in stock,
touch feel

and buy SURGE !

if you are not concern about little some weight , take the tool not the toy :)
Final Fantasy

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 07:54:40 PM
GO to store, where WAVE and REBAR in stock,
touch feel

and buy SURGE !

if you are not concern about little some weight , take the tool not the toy :)

And buy SURGE!    :rofl:   nice

bg Offline Kazaril

• AC / DC Tecnician
Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 08:19:30 PM
And buy SURGE!    :rofl:   nice

i broke , wave, rebar, super tool 200...

if you need something lite for use time to time you take wave

if you a bad ass mf and have money and show to all you bye charge tti

if you are working with tool every day and needet for ocasional task take surge

if tool stay in car for problem assist bye super tool 300

most important thing size of hands, serios go to store and take in hand every one - it make it felt like it your one.

my hands are big and i dont like wave size tool,  but if your hand is average size surge maybe is to big for you , only with touch on real tool you can decide wich one to bye.
Final Fantasy

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 04:35:37 AM
For me, outside opening tools always win.   :salute:

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 05:15:48 AM
For me a factor that plays (mainly in my mind) is that the supertool IS what I think of when I think Leatherman. And the rebar is just a modified improved version of that.  :tu:

us Offline Wallace72

Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 06:15:48 AM
As said before, the wave is typically a better quality tool. The blades on the rebar (at least on my example) are significantly thinner and more flexible than that of the wave's or even the super tool which is kind of weird. Not a functional issue but the handles on the rebars I have ever held always seem to be off canter and don't align while the handles on the wave are more rigid and contoured for comfort. While the fixed phillips in the rebar can be more confidence inspiring, I much rather have the precision/eyeglass screwdriver and bit selection of the wave. Aside from my USA marked LM's and early MUT, my wave is the most well made leatherman I own. On an unrelated note, I believe that the wave is much more well thought out and usually made better than the surge. All the internal implements on the surge have aligned notches so you can't remove individual tools which is pretty stupid, my serrated blade has heat discoloring from grinding and is slightly warped, and the bolsters are poorly fit.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%