Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

blunt question

tonyg · 23 · 1021

Offline tonyg

blunt question
on: June 24, 2017, 12:24:23 AM
Under what circumstances are blunt nose pliers an advantage over needle nose?

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: blunt question
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 12:41:21 AM
Trying to access nuts in tight spaces is one.

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 12:43:23 AM
In my line of work holding nuts, bolts and other larger metal parts where chain (needle) nose would twist.
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline cody6268

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 01:32:47 AM
When you're twisting wire--i.e. in fencing, needlenose flexes quite a bit, and can even snap (i.e. ST300, last summer). That's part of the reason I bought a Schrade ST-6 and the blunt version of Utica Kutmaster's Multimaster.  My EDC pliers are linesman's pliers for this reason. I still have the LM Mini Tool on my belt should I need needlenose.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 03:57:29 AM by cody6268 »

Offline tonyg

Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 02:30:56 AM
this was pretty much my thinking.  Most of what I use a multi tool for, falls into this catagory.  And mostly, I don't find a needle nose that useful.  I was thinking about blunting the needle nose on my Rebar, but I'm not sure if it would adversely affect how the tool closes up.  Maybe I'll do a search in the Mods section.  thanks.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 02:44:29 AM
such a misleading title,  I was let down when I started reading     :rofl:       :facepalm:    just kidding
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 04:04:32 AM
Ask Grant about when he zapped himself working on his Jeep...

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 04:12:11 AM
I believe blunt nose is the plier to use for heavy duty requirements. Needlenose is for accurate for like in electronics or jewelry.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 04:16:32 AM
Ask Grant about when he zapped himself working on his Jeep...

I was just about to tell that story.... :D

While out playing on some trails in my old Jeep, the starter wires came loose and I had to try and reconnect and tighten them with a Leatherman Blast.

It should have been called the Jolt because the needle nose was long enough to hit the opposite connection while turning each one and I got zapped a few times while doing it.

I would love to see more blunt nosed tools on the market.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 07:10:47 AM
this was pretty much my thinking.  Most of what I use a multi tool for, falls into this catagory.  And mostly, I don't find a needle nose that useful.  I was thinking about blunting the needle nose on my Rebar, but I'm not sure if it would adversely affect how the tool closes up.  Maybe I'll do a search in the Mods section.  thanks.

I blunted my Kick and no it does not close smoothly.  I have to finagle it to close.  Its not terrible but it would be nice if it were to close without fuss. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 07:44:35 AM

I blunted my Kick and no it does not close smoothly.  I have to finagle it to close.  Its not terrible but it would be nice if it were to close without fuss.
Why does "blunting" the pliers cause an issue of closing? Your not adding material into tight spaces?

I'm curious too  :think:
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 12:25:25 PM

Why does "blunting" the pliers cause an issue of closing? Your not adding material into tight spaces?

I think it has to do with the way the pliers rest on the tools and when you change the length of the pliers it presses down at different points on the tools causing them to move around :think: :tu:

Least that is my take on it :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 12:26:55 PM
That or it being shorter it doesn't push the tools down in spots and causes it not to close as good :shrug:

Offline tonyg

Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 01:07:54 PM
Anybody here have experience with this after blunting a Rebar?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 09:22:18 PM
not a Rebar, but I blunted my Fuse and my Gerber Pro Scout with a Dremel and no problems at all.
I don't know if it's the specific technique or model that matters, but I've seen members here blunting other tools (i.e. LM Surge) with success
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 10:04:38 PM
not a Rebar, but I blunted my Fuse and my Gerber Pro Scout with a Dremel and no problems at all.
I don't know if it's the specific technique or model that matters, but I've seen members here blunting other tools (i.e. LM Surge) with success
Mmmm...blunt nose Surge :drool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 11:29:25 PM

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #18 on: June 25, 2017, 05:16:04 AM
When I worked at a lamp restoration business, I found myself using a Gerber pinchy because I thought it was the only blunted plier MT at the time(three years I kept a red line blister on my palm), because my PST's fine needle jaws would twist when loosening nuts at the bottom of lamps. I carried a pinchy(for the nuts at the lamp base) and PST(for grabbing wire in lamp pipe in tight spaces) for years at the same time. Pst in sheath and pinchy in my back pocket. I needed both all the time, fifteen or more times a day while doing repairs while people waited in the front of the store, where I had to keep it looking like a showroom(no tool boxes). I think it all depends on what you need and when you need it.
I find myself carrying two different tools most of the time when I work. I have since gotten a rebar(awesome wire cutters) and mp600 bluntnose(for jaw twisting jobs) to replace the two older models.
Sometimes I wish I had my sog power lock for the tiny tiny spaces. The tips of the jaws are spectacularly fine. But, that is too heavy, so my front pocket has a pair of old red devil needle nose with a true needle sized tip.
I cannot think of any job where either one would have a massive advantage, but there are jobs that one would be preferred over the other.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 05:19:39 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 01:05:26 PM
When I worked at a lamp restoration business, I found myself using a Gerber pinchy because I thought it was the only blunted plier MT at the time(three years I kept a red line blister on my palm), because my PST's fine needle jaws would twist when loosening nuts at the bottom of lamps. I carried a pinchy(for the nuts at the lamp base) and PST(for grabbing wire in lamp pipe in tight spaces) for years at the same time. Pst in sheath and pinchy in my back pocket. I needed both all the time, fifteen or more times a day while doing repairs while people waited in the front of the store, where I had to keep it looking like a showroom(no tool boxes). I think it all depends on what you need and when you need it.
I find myself carrying two different tools most of the time when I work. I have since gotten a rebar(awesome wire cutters) and mp600 bluntnose(for jaw twisting jobs) to replace the two older models.
Sometimes I wish I had my sog power lock for the tiny tiny spaces. The tips of the jaws are spectacularly fine. But, that is too heavy, so my front pocket has a pair of old red devil needle nose with a true needle sized tip.
I cannot think of any job where either one would have a massive advantage, but there are jobs that one would be preferred over the other.

I share some of your experiences and thoughts. I liked the Powerlock's super precise NN pliers a lot but I also couldn't carry it as a standalone tool because I often needed some shorter and blunter plier jaws.
But I didn't want to be without the Compound Leverage either as it was really helpful with the added force you get, so I thought I was completely lost on that one, until i discovered a Compound Leverage tool with blunt nosed pliers, the old and discontinued PowerPlier. Until then I used a Gerber MP600 or Spirit (Blunt Nose) and a Powrlock or Blacktip for the compound leverage.

After some search I could find not one but two of them ,from different years and with different toolsets, and now they're my primary carry at the garden.

Before:

Now:

not 100% blunt nose, but not so fine I worry about it (like the Spirit)   :cheers:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 07:27:40 PM
Those are awesome. Thanks! Will have to keep my eyes peeled for a set. I work at an antique store / flea market where I do furniture restoration, so I am always finding great deals on tools!
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 05:05:30 PM

Ok let me restate my issue.  When I close my Kick and the pliers close on the knife side the blunted plier fall into the space just before the flat driver hitting the inside frame.  This caused them to not want to close.  If I urge the pliers to close on the phillips side then the blunted plier hits the phillips allowing the plier to slide on the Phillip closing the tool. 
IMG_3274.JPG
* IMG_3274.JPG (Filesize: 219.61 KB)
IMG_3275.JPG
* IMG_3275.JPG (Filesize: 264.74 KB)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:07:35 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 03:22:00 AM
A blunt nose pliers is more effective than a needle nose pliers when gripping a rod or a thin, flat object (e.g., sheet metal).
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%