Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bladeless EDC and Multi questions.....

MTG · 12 · 1805

00 Offline MTG

Bladeless EDC and Multi questions.....
on: June 24, 2017, 12:54:48 PM
Hello again,

I have just realised that I have technically been EDCing in a not so legal way and wish to correct it. It is unlikely that I would ever be searched and that the way I do things would be conscidered bad if I were at or traveling to work, but nevertheless I am uncomfortable with the idea of a Police Officer being able to make that decision. I will miss bladed TOOLS because they are very useful TOOLS.

So I will put either a Gerber Travel or a LM Style PS on my keychain, some Screwz and maybe a mini pry.

And for a multi for the car I was looking at the SOG Traveler and Gerber MP600 ( not interested in the knifeless Rebar). Then I thought about just removing the blade and possibly the saw from a SOG (haven't really looked ag models but would S60N-CP be Traveler pre removal?) or getting a Gerber Legend 800 and taking the knife out and keeping the rem grit saw. I would keep any unused parts aside for later, thus having an overall more complete tool.

If I did this would I just put a stainless washer of the same width in, in the place of the removed parts?

Also of the two above mentioned what is the consensus of the better tool (noted SOG has the compound leverage which sounds cool and the Gerbers have replacable wirecutters) and any other ideas would be welcome.

Thank you.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Bladeless EDC and Multi questions.....
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 01:45:59 PM
I don't know anything about bladeless multi's, but have you considered modding bladeless Swiss Army Knives?  :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 03:02:34 PM
Without knowing your jurisdiction it's a bit difficult to really give any good suggestions, in some places it seems like you could be taken for an awl while other are fine as long as you don't have locking tools.

As for your choices of tool I can say this without being that knowledgeable.
The older SOGs make it easy enough to remove or replace tools, the new models don't seem to be as easy though. That might be just as well though, I have two Pocket Powerpliers and the older, made in the US, version is just miles better in quality. Literally holding two sides of the same bolt have made indents in the new one but the old is still as new.
The Gerber MP models seem to get a fair share of attention from modders as well so that would probably also work.
There's also Loki who sells parts for Leatherman (in the for sale section) meaning you could reasonably make a "better" bladeless Rebar if that might be interesting. Or any other model for that matter (although I wouldn't recommend going with a Wave, Surge or Charge since they are built around the easily accessible blades).

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:32:56 PM
I'm not a fan of the Rebar either, with or without blades. I'm also not a fan of SOG. Partially this is due to manufacturing standards, but also whilst the compound leverage has it's advantages, it also impares the tool ergonomically when gripping larger items.

The MP600 is a great tool, but I much prefer the pliers without indexable cutters.

I have several knifeless tools, but they are all modifications. Fuse, MP400, Octane, and Diesel have all been tweaked here to suit my needs. I will probably tweak my MP600 at some point too.

What tools do you need the tool to have, aside from pliers?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline MTG

Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 12:53:53 AM
Hi all, thanks for the replies.

That was actually my first idea Paddy! I thought about a Handyman, Swisschamp or Workchamp with the blade(s) removed, but the process looks not too difficult to try, but too expensive if I mess up and can't get it all back together. The pliers don't seem like they would do it all, but would be in between full tool and keychain compromise. Workchamp would be ideal for my workday if blade was legal, bit bulky for pocket, wish it had a clip. Evo's with the multi wrench look interesting too. I could blunt a blade for future (could still be conscidered illegal) or cut the blade off, but that seemed a shame to do.

FortyTwo, are you Baryonyx KCo? If so I dealt with you some years ago :) if not, my appologies.

I am in NSW, Australia.

I guess a good do most things for the car, I would like to hope that a saw and awl would be acceptable conscidering the efforts taken to remove any "blades", but I would guess that even scissors could technically be unnaceptable.

I saw your Orange BO Fuse which was cool in my research 50ft. Tools I guess would be saw, full file and a 1/4" driver would be good. I do like the Rebar plier head but was put of buy the rivets. I have a new Super Tool 300 that was going to do this job before I researched the laws and will now be housebound :( unless I remove blades on it. Maybe the bladeless MP600 is a good idea after all? Keeps it simple. There is a stainless Scout on Ebay without replacable cutters, but it has rivets and so would make blade removal trickier.

How hard is changing tools on riveted multi's, this would void any warranty I guess?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 01:05:54 AM by MTG »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 01:32:36 AM
Another option if you're considering the modding route would be a Diesel.

This comes with a woodsaw, which the MP600 doesn't unless you get a hacksaw blade which fits the adaptor. The diesel has a 2D Phillips which some folks mind and some folks don't, but switching that to a full 3D Phillips from a multiplier would nicely take up the addition space from removing the blade. They are quite easy to modify too.

Either a Gerber bit adaptor (get the right one, there is two) or the Leatherman bit adaptor will allow you to use standard bits off the replaced Phillips. (Note: You'll need to get the special Diesel adaptor I you keep the 2D Phillips, and the LM one won't work). The diesel also has a nice pair of scissors on board too, and the can opener can function as an awl if you get desperate.

Here's what I did to my TurboDiesel....
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56931.msg1021750.html#msg1021750

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 01:49:38 AM
Not sure how easy to get a hold of a Knifeless Fuse in your area but you may want to consider checking that out. I EDC one for work and it passed our HR/Security. Has a file to boot.

Otherwise like you plan modding is the way to go. Shows some pics please if you do!!

00 Offline MTG

Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 02:03:45 AM
Another option if you're considering the modding route would be a Diesel.

This is a great idea, never heard of Diesel. Could just remove blade, see how 2D goes and look around for a Saw holder. Your mod looks perfect actually, but would require 2 tools. Good point on can opener being good Awl, less attention drawing too. Compliments on that kit and mod in link :D

I have Leatherman bits from my old work  Skeletool (pliers are a real letdown), I could just get a 2nd hand Wave and put blades aside and use these.

Is Diesel or Wave pliers better? Have to say Diesel looks pretty cool....

Not sure how easy to get a hold of a Knifeless Fuse in your area but you may want to consider checking that out. I EDC one for work and it passed our HR/Security. Has a file to boot.

Otherwise like you plan modding is the way to go. Shows some pics please if you do!!

I did look for a bladeless Fuse in research, but could not find one.

I will post pics if I end up with something interesting enough to do so (as opposed to a standard tool with a few bits removed).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 02:05:25 AM by MTG »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 05:09:21 PM
2 things to contribute:

A. In my opinion Diesel is the way to go. I also prefer the Diesel's pliers to the Wave, as well as its flicking action and overall ergonomics in pliers mode.
The Diesel isn't hard to mod, those scissors are awesome and the 2D Phillips is capable enough for most screws that I've found so far.

B. About the SAK pliers and wrench, they are capable enough for light or medium duty tasks, but won't replace pliers (even those of the Octane, Skeletool, Bullrush...) for sure. You could get a used SAK for cheap to try, with an already broken blade or do it yourself (that's easy, unfortunately I can tell   :facepalm:)

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline MTG

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 09:21:59 AM
Thanks ThePeasent,

I actually bought a BO Wave last night and a Style as well ebay had a 15%off so I went ahead. I might just buy a Diesel too, I have some ideas on how to distribute them and it will give me a chance to try them all out.

Thanks  :tu:

00 Offline MTG

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 11:52:39 AM
Well, took the knives out of the Wave and it is kind of sad, because it is a great tool pre-removal.

I noticed that as I could not find washers the same width that it was either going to be approx 75% or 150% of the width of the knife, but as I chose 75% I believe it has made the saw and file rub on the outer bottom edge of each tool as per pic below (is this standard, I did not thoroughly check before disassembly?). This is not ideal, but I will see how it goes and may just put it back together at some point anyway.

http://imgur.com/a/aqVJp

so now Wave has old Skeletool pouch with the bit kit and Skele is in the Wave molle sheath with the removed knives. Wave also has a pocket clip and swapped out the phillips/flat tip for a #1/#2

20170702_190217.jpg
* 20170702_190217.jpg (Filesize: 225.25 KB)
20170702_190139.jpg
* 20170702_190139.jpg (Filesize: 206.57 KB)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 12:00:31 PM by MTG »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 08:03:09 PM
 :like:

nice one!
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%