Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

pliers broke on my edc skeletool, other options?

us Offline WiSAKfan

on: June 24, 2017, 02:47:17 PM
Hi everyone, been awhile since I posted...

My skeletool's pliers broke on me the other day after over eight years of edc.  I am waiting for a replacement but in the meantime I'm doing what a lot of us do: researching other multitool options!! :multi:

I kinda wish leatherman or someone else would make a beefier skeletool for those of us who want the minimalist design in a heavier duty package.

Would you guys consider the Signal to be that tool?  I find the fire starter and file to be slightly gimmicky but those could be removed to save some weight.

I probably wouldn't use the saw much but I can see how the 'hammer' would be useful at times.

I know some people go to the juice s2 or I suppose the sidekick would be an option...

I would prefer to keep the OHO knife option so I don't have to carry two tools,

edit: To add more info I carry the tool clipped in my front pocket so weight is a consideration but it's hard for me to guess at what weight a tool gets too heavy in that type of carry.  The web says the skeletool is 5 oz, the signal is 7.5oz, the wave for example is 8.5 oz...

any thoughts multi experts!  thanks

« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 03:15:37 PM by WiSAKfan »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: pliers broke on my edc skeletool, other options?
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 03:26:37 PM
Still been meaning to get a Signal myself :facepalm: I would consider that as a beefier Skeletool :tu: Lot of people here have done away with the file and whistle I think and also a few have dyed the yellow to various colors as well :like: Hope that helped some and good luck with the search :multi: :tu:

Offline tonyg

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 03:37:20 PM
I too wish Leatherman made a beefier (and more ergonomic) Skeletool.  I also like a more minimalist approach, mostly wanting only knife, pliers, and screwdrivers.  So what I carry about 99% of the time is a Kershaw Select Fire (knife with screwdriver) clipped in my back pocket, and a 4" Irwin vise grips and a small flashlight in a Skinth P2MT (left front pocket).  Works for me.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 04:14:30 PM
thanks for the responses gentleman

yeah give me a lighter weight signal with the toolset of the skeletool (keeping the hammer obviously) and I'd snatch it right up leatherman!

I've tried the two tool edc approach and it's just not as comfortable to me (while I'm waiting for the skeletool warranty I'm rocking the sog paratool in a belt sheath and a cara cara 2 folder in my pants pocket)

The skeletool is a great package IMO, like tonyg I find myself using the Knife, the pliers, and then the screwdriver most in that order.  The carabiner is actually pretty useful when you need to clip the open pliers to something to get a free hand like up on a ladder for example.

there are many many times having the skeletool on my person saved a trip to the car for the tool bag!!

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 05:47:12 PM
It sounds to me that you're talking about a Wingman (OHO blade, not too heavy, beefier pliers, clip, screwdrivers and the thing the Skele lacks the most, scissors)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 06:50:58 PM
I'm going to have to review my leatherman models.  I tried a less expensive leatherman option with a clip from walmart a few years ago and ended up returning it cause the skeletool felt less bulky while pocket clipped in pant's pocket, I don't recall the name...I'll post again when I remember.  it was like the wingman but i thought it had a saw?

the wingman certainly looks like a viable option, thank you for suggesting it.  It may have been the model I tried from walmart in which case most of the suggestions, including the signal, as skeletool replacements are going to be too heavy/bulky for me personally over the skeletool in the pocket clip position.

keep the comments coming please :gimme:

what starts to get too heavy for you in that pocket clipped position?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 07:27:51 PM
A couple of great, new options from SOG being the Reactor and PowerAccess. Reactor is smaller than Skeletool in some aspects, but pliers are about the same. The PowerAccess is more comparable to a SK/WM but is more pocket friendly, IMO. The only downside here is the knife is not OHO. The big benefit of these options from SOG is OHO pliers.

Gerber MP400 is a real winner but lacks OHO tools besides the pliers. Also, no pocket clip. The Octane is a great option but is a couple years out of production so is difficult to find, now.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 10:57:31 PM
A beefier Skeletool...

I can't think of an example, but I know what to call it. The Reaper- it's not just a skeleton.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 12:51:30 AM
I'm going to have to review my leatherman models.  I tried a less expensive leatherman option with a clip from walmart a few years ago and ended up returning it cause the skeletool felt less bulky while pocket clipped in pant's pocket, I don't recall the name...I'll post again when I remember.  it was like the wingman but i thought it had a saw?

Sidekick?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 01:56:46 AM
I EDCed the Skeletool for a while, as a plier camarad of a Swisschamp. I realised that a Spirit was only slightly bigger (but flatter and easier to carry) having significant advantages over both Skeletool and Swisschamp. I only needed a stronger blade and the sublime Vic scissors and thankfully I have them in the form of a modified alox.
I find the Skeletool and the Leatherman bits concept a very nice idea, but in practice Vic is better in every respect. For my kind of needs not necessarily yours.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 12:19:28 PM

keep the comments coming please :gimme:

what starts to get too heavy for you in that pocket clipped position?

To me, anything heavier than 7-8 oz. is noticeable in the pocket. The shape and flatness is also a key factor (keep in mind, I've carried 7-11 oz. folders from Cold Steel for years clipped to my pockets and that kind of makes it easier to carry other heavy stuff without much hassle).

The Skeletool has the nice carabiner option, which opens different carry methods and is extremely convenient on occasion.
IMO, you have the next options...

For OHO blade, clipped:  Wingman, Sidekick (the one you had with a saw),  Wave, Piranha MT
For non-clippable, but flat and light: Sog PPP, MP 400, Spirit,
For non-clippable, but OHO blade: Gerber Bullrush,  MP700, Crucial (has carabiner), Octane
For clippable, but non OHO blade: OUTU Scissors-Pliers,
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 03:49:24 PM
thanks for the additional suggestions and comments everyone :like:

rdub, the reactor at first glance seems like a contender to replace the skeletool.  from the reviews I've read, I don't like the way the bit is inserted in the front of the tool to use and it's position on the end of the handle is strictly for holding it.  I find myself needing the extra length having the tool on the handle of the skeletool provides.

I haven't heard much about the power access, I'll have to look for threads here about as there isn't much on youtube about it yet.  In my searching I ran across the octane too but as you mentioned it is kinda hard to find...I really wish I could hold one before buying!

ironraven, that would be a great name for the beefier skeletool

synocop8r, it was either the sidekick or I'm mistaken about the saw and it was the wingman. I remember it the edges of the tool feeling 'sharp' in my pockets...

kkokkolis, the spirit looks like a really nice tool if I decide on a two tool solution of MT/folding knife.  I really like Vic products and it gets raving reviews.  thank you.

peacent, I tend to agree with my limited experience with different MT's that more then 7-8 is getting too heavy....maybe personally it's more the 6-7 is getting heavy in the pocket clip position.

thank you for the list you crafted.  I'm picturing a venn diagram where my choices for both OHO blade and pocket clip are pretty limited while my choices for either or are more numerous...

the good news is that searching all these different options is fun! :multi:

and hey when my skeletool gets back from LM I may just end up using it for edc again full time!

for manufacturers there does seem to be an option gap for the a OHO knife, pocket clippable medium to lightweight MT!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 11:37:45 PM
I guess the MUT is also a beefier Skeletool but at 11.2oz it's probably not what you're looking for.
Perhaps you could try the Signal and mod some redundant things out of it?

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 02:11:12 AM
I went to REI today to check out the various multi-tools they have in store, and ended up bringing home a SOG power access.  I wanted to see what it was like in person since it's new.

They didn't have any tools on display so I was only able to compare stuff in the plastic packaging...pretty lame but they have a good return policy...

The power access doesn't have OHO blade of course but I like the tools accessible on the outside...i think you could put a small ziptie on the cutout on the blade and then be able to open it one hand.

The 5.9oz weight feels fine esp with the nice pocket clip on the power access.  makes me wonder how much more the 7.5 oz of the signal would be guess i could tape change to the MT to make it weight that much 7.5...

I'll write more when my skeletool gets back to directly compare

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 02:27:56 AM
I like the Power Access.  It feels like an excellent tool.  I had a problem with mine, but SOG is working on that.

I like the size, the feel, the tools and the look of it.  I wish it had scissors though, or at least the ability to swap in the old school SOG tools.  Otherwise it is a very worthy successor to the Power Plier.

As a replacement for the Skeletool, I would take the Power Access any day of the week.  I love the concept of the Skeletool, but in practice the darned thing is just too large and bulky for the very limited function it offers.

Which leads me to wonder.... why the heck hasn't Leatherman offered us a full sized Skeletool?  We have the standard Skeletool (and Freestyle) that are Juice sized, we have the Style series that are keychain sized, we have the MUT and the Signal for large sizes.... but nothing similar to the Rebar, PST/PST II, Fuse, Kick etc?

Is that maybe because the Skeletool, despite being a small, light duty tool is already the size of a full sized tool?  Or do they just not want to hurt the Wave/Charge sales?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 03:30:39 PM
I like the Power Access.  It feels like an excellent tool.  I had a problem with mine, but SOG is working on that.

I like the size, the feel, the tools and the look of it.  I wish it had scissors though, or at least the ability to swap in the old school SOG tools.  Otherwise it is a very worthy successor to the Power Plier.

As a replacement for the Skeletool, I would take the Power Access any day of the week.  I love the concept of the Skeletool, but in practice the darned thing is just too large and bulky for the very limited function it offers.

Which leads me to wonder.... why the heck hasn't Leatherman offered us a full sized Skeletool?  We have the standard Skeletool (and Freestyle) that are Juice sized, we have the Style series that are keychain sized, we have the MUT and the Signal for large sizes.... but nothing similar to the Rebar, PST/PST II, Fuse, Kick etc?

Is that maybe because the Skeletool, despite being a small, light duty tool is already the size of a full sized tool?  Or do they just not want to hurt the Wave/Charge sales?

Def

I think it may be a little bit of both. I would be interested to see, like many others, something between a skeletool and a signal. Lightweight but full size, keep the hammer, replace the saw with big scissors and get rid on the file and whistle and replace it with something else or just make it a slimmer overall tool.

My vote though for a beefier skeletool has got to go to the signal. In my opinion it feels even better in the pocket than the skeletool because of its shape. The weight difference is not that noticeable clipped to the pocket for me.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 03:34:46 PM
Hello Mr Lamontagne, thank you for running such a fantastic discussion board.

I appreciate you (and everyone) taking the time to discuss this with me.

The Skeletool is a practical MT for edc, one of the finest I've found for my personal use.  A few years ago I lost my skele for a week or so and that resulted in the purchase of the paratool and carrying a pocket knife. When I found my skele again it easily took over my front pocket because of it's practicality

While it has a limited tool selection, every tool is easy accessible and ready to do work.  Let's say there's a loose door handle screw that needs to be tightened as I do a final inspection.  With the skeletool simply by starting to open it I expose the driver and I stop opening depending what tool shape best fits the situation.  Want to do that with the paratool?  Take it out of sheath, open pliers, pull out driver, then fold the tool back up to how i want it (but it only really feels comfortable using closed)

The skeletool in general is easy to use one handed and the carabiner doesn't seem that useful until that first time up on some ladder and you need to set the tool down to use both hands and instead you can clip it to a belt loop or I've clipped it to my pocket's pocket or even the hammer loop on my work pants.

The power access seems nice for the 24 hrs I've had it...I tested the drivers on a few door handle screws and they seem to work.  Having them on the outside of the tool speeds up deployment.  I'll try it more today.  It does disappear nice clipped in your pocket.  The skeletool can feel sharp in the pocket.

back to your question Mr Lamontagne, I'm not sure why leatherman doesn't have a full sized skeletool.  It would be a different enough animal not to cut into wave/surge sales if I had to guess but that is speculating.

Sign me up for one when you convince the powers that be at leatherman to make one...heck I'll even field test it for them  :multi: :multi:

Give me a stripped down signal at about 6 oz with skele tool set (keeping hammer of course) and I'd be a happy camper :drool: 

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 03:42:10 PM

Def

I think it may be a little bit of both. I would be interested to see, like many others, something between a skeletool and a signal. Lightweight but full size, keep the hammer, replace the saw with big scissors and get rid on the file and whistle and replace it with something else or just make it a slimmer overall tool.

My vote though for a beefier skeletool has got to go to the signal. In my opinion it feels even better in the pocket than the skeletool because of its shape. The weight difference is not that noticeable clipped to the pocket for me.

Thanks for joining the conversation.  Just the kind of input I wanted to hear, real world experience about pocketing the signal vs skele...sadly REI here doesn't allow me to remove it from the package to test it.

Do the fire starter and file weight very much?  Would removing them even be noticeable?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 03:59:23 PM
We aren't formal enough here to call anyone Mister, except maybe Mr. Whippy!  You can call me Grant or Def.  There's not much protocol here, and I doubt I could get members to follow it if I did try to impose one!

As for discussing the Skeletool and Signal, well, we love talking about multitools here and we are always glad for the opportunity to do so!

I think the only thing you are going to miss from the Skeletool that isn't on the Power Access is the carabiner.  I don't know of too many people that use it, but I am sure for those that do it would be missed.  Otherwise I think that the Power Access is a far nicer tool with more options and functions in a package that isn't really any bigger.

If you wanted to downsize a little bit, I also highly recommend the Reactor, which is about the same size as the Leatherman Freestyle, but with all of the functions of the Skeletool.

A word of caution though- SOG's fit and finish is not at the same level as Leatherman's, particularly with the current generation of tools, so the SOG's may seem lesser, but I find the overall design of SOG and new models to be superior to Leatherman and their latest offerings.  Even so, I would prefer to carry the Reactor over the Skeletool any day.  While it may be made better, the Skeletool has frustrated me since the beginning as being far too bulky to be the light duty tool it is.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 04:34:29 PM
sounds good Def,

Even the difference in fit and finish between my made in usa paratool and the power access is very noticeable.

My issue with the design of the reactor for my use is the holder only function of that bit leg...having the bit used in the front of the tool would limit the depth of reach and thus limit it's usefulness.  I'm not really a fan of assisted open blades but I could live with that...

in addition to the carabiner there would be the OHO blade of the skele that I'd miss.  the scalpel on the assist would probably have to be a backup to a folding knife if it stays my edc.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 05:13:22 PM
Those are indeed valid concerns indeed.  I don't usually think if the Skeletool as having much reach on the screwdriver as I find their flat bits quite stubby, but I suppose it makes sense.  Of course, since the Reactor (and all SOG models) is capable of using standard 1/4" (6mm) bits, I would probably opt for getting some longer bits and sticking with the Reactor.  But then, that is why there are so many tools on the market- everyone wants (and needs) something different!  What works for me won't necessarily work for someone else.

I can see missing the OHO blade though.  The placement of the blade is such that it could very easily be opened with the flick of a thumb, but it's not quite there. 

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 06:12:23 PM
We aren't formal enough here to call anyone Mister, except maybe Mr. Whippy!  You can call me Grant or Def.  There's not much protocol here, and I doubt I could get members to follow it if I did try to impose one!

As for discussing the Skeletool and Signal, well, we love talking about multitools here and we are always glad for the opportunity to do so!

I think the only thing you are going to miss from the Skeletool that isn't on the Power Access is the carabiner.  I don't know of too many people that use it, but I am sure for those that do it would be missed.  Otherwise I think that the Power Access is a far nicer tool with more options and functions in a package that isn't really any bigger.

If you wanted to downsize a little bit, I also highly recommend the Reactor, which is about the same size as the Leatherman Freestyle, but with all of the functions of the Skeletool.

A word of caution though- SOG's fit and finish is not at the same level as Leatherman's, particularly with the current generation of tools, so the SOG's may seem lesser, but I find the overall design of SOG and new models to be superior to Leatherman and their latest offerings.  Even so, I would prefer to carry the Reactor over the Skeletool any day.  While it may be made better, the Skeletool has frustrated me since the beginning as being far too bulky to be the light duty tool it is.

Def

Reactor is a great tool!!!  I forgot all about that one. Look it up for sure. Its basically Sog's Skeletool. I broke mine because I didn't know how to use it though  :facepalm: make sure you read the directions!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 06:15:52 PM
There certainly is something to be said for user friendliness.  I really don't think that one should have to read the instructions to operate a pair of pliers.  If you do, either the manufacturer has failed miserably, or you probably shouldn't be operating anything as complex and dangerous as a pair of pliers....  :facepalm:

Def

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 06:47:24 PM
There certainly is something to be said for user friendliness.  I really don't think that one should have to read the instructions to operate a pair of pliers.  If you do, either the manufacturer has failed miserably, or you probably shouldn't be operating anything as complex and dangerous as a pair of pliers....  :facepalm:

Def

:rofl: no I did not know about Sog's bit driver technology so I tried to use it in the handle like you would a skeletool and broke the part that holds the bit  :facepalm:

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 07:14:12 PM

Def

:rofl: no I did not know about Sog's bit driver technology so I tried to use it in the handle like you would a skeletool and broke the part that holds the bit  :facepalm:

it would be a neat little tool if you could use the bit in that 'holder' IMO

the late boyscout on youtube shows him using the reactor with the bit in the correct location and how it could get in the way if the screw was obstructed...his example was a screw under an oven dial

the skele can reach in being on the end of the leg, i've used the flat head bit in the skele to open paint cans, pry at things etc in ways that the bit itself not folding was a benefit.

but I realize other people's uses are different and require different tools.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 11:17:32 PM
I agree- the handle slot on the Reactor absolutely should function as a bit holder if they are going to put it somewhere like that.  Either that or find a place that looks like a bit carrier to carry the bits so they don't look like they should be used there.

Serious fault on SOG's part IMHO.

Def

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 03:31:16 PM
Well it's been a few days with the poweraccess but I still haven't really put it through anything heavy duty.  It carries really well, perhaps even better then the skele.

I was up on a ladder wrestling and tying some arbor vitas branches back in place and missed my skele for OHO blade and carbiner to clip it to stuff.  I could make due with no carbiner but the OHO blade for MY USES is essential on my edc.

I either change my carry philosophy from one tool to two tools and in addition carry a oho knife/MT or I switch back to MT with OHO blade and clip.

My options for MTs open up when the OHO blade isn't a requirement.

I've even been reconsidering the wave with pocket clip over the signal but that just might be the MT bug biting...the wave might be too heavy for a number of tools I wouldn't use very much.

Do people here carry the wave in pocket clip position?

Looking on it back now, I think it was the wingman I had previously from walmart for like $23 that I returned.  I remember it feel sharp in my pocket and the fit and finish was noticeably different from the skele and personally I didn't like the scissors they had on it.   

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:33:05 PM by WiSAKfan »

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 04:08:09 PM
Well it's been a few days with the poweraccess but I still haven't really put it through anything heavy duty.  It carries really well, perhaps even better then the skele.

I was up on a ladder wrestling and tying some arbor vitas branches back in place and missed my skele for OHO blade and carbiner to clip it to stuff.  I could make due with no carbiner but the OHO blade for MY USES is essential on my edc.

I either change my carry philosophy from one tool to two tools and in addition carry a oho knife/MT or I switch back to MT with OHO blade and clip.

My options for MTs open up when the OHO blade isn't a requirement.

I've even been reconsidering the wave with pocket clip over the signal but that just might be the MT bug biting...the wave might be too heavy for a number of tools I wouldn't use very much.

Do people here carry the wave in pocket clip position?

Looking on it back now, I think it was the wingman I had previously from walmart for like $23 that I returned.  I remember it feel sharp in my pocket and the fit and finish was noticeably different from the skele and personally I didn't like the scissors they had on it.

For me, the wave is the least comfortable in the pocket out of the ones you mentioned. Level of comfort for me is signal first, then skeletool, then wave. Check out the reactor if you have not allready.. I just bought a second one after we talked about it.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 04:10:14 PM
By the way though, if a screwdriver is your main tool, it's worth considering that the one on the signal is somewhat awkward at first but gets the job done

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 04:19:02 PM
Here is a quick size shot for you on the reactor. Pretty impressive to retain almost all of the skeletool features and be this size. Plus you get the stronger pliers grip with sog. Plus it's only like 30 bucks on amazon!

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:21:32 PM by gdoolittle »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD