Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

pliers broke on my edc skeletool, other options?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: pliers broke on my edc skeletool, other options?
Reply #30 on: June 29, 2017, 04:29:53 PM
Not had a lot of experience with OHO bladed MTs other than the ones already discussed here, but have you looked at Gerber's offerings?  I'm thinking of the Crucial, the Bullrush, the MP1 and the Centre Drive.  Not saying any of these will actually suit you, but might be worth a look.  It's a shame that the Octane isn't made any more as it really was a good competitor to the Skele (and one I actually own and prefer to the Skele).
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #31 on: June 29, 2017, 05:57:16 PM
thanks gdoolittle for your posts and experiences with carrying the wave, signal and skele

I will reconsider the reactor.  driver is third on my list of most used tools with knife at first and pliers at second.

Gareth, I have been devouring all the info about the big three sog leatherman gerber knives that fit my parameters...this forum and it's members have so much knowledge saved in their discussions, it's awesome  :tu:

The bullrush and MP1 don't have pocket clips do they?  The MP1 with forged pliers head and mini prybar is really sweet I just don't see a pocket clip option in my searches.  The crucial is another option I would I could handle before buying.  I'll have to research that one more.

the center drive looks great and that center drive would be useful for me but I don't see a pocket clip option

the coyote tan version of the signal is really seducing me:

download.jpg
* download.jpg (Filesize: 49.63 KB)

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 11:40:31 PM
I'll make another $0.02 here:

1- I find the Wave the least comfortable to carry clipped tool ever. I prefer the Surge (much heavier but shape is not as uncomfortable, poky or sharp), the Wingman above those two, the Skeletool above the 3, and my favorite is the cheapo OUTU pliers-scissors tool. So, to me,

Wave < Surge < Wingman < Skeletool < Outu

2- I believe Gerber has the edge in the clipped-tools category, they come in all sizes and functions: Bullrush, Octane, Crucial, all have OHO blades and clip. The MP700, MP800, Grappler also have OHO blades and easily accessible, sturdy drivers.

3- SOG might have the ticket with its new offerings, PowerAccess seems the perfect one, but I think it's too soon yet for a definitive opinion. If you could forget the clip, there's lots of SOGs with OHO Blades (PowerGrab, powerPlay, PowerAssist...) but they have quite flimsy drivers IMO

4- Another option, just to keep in mind, is the inexpensive (albeit not cheap) Piranha Tool, which has, wide thick stubby pliers and OHO blade, one version locking the other version non-locking. They both have quickly accessible drivers (one has exchangeable bits and the other a flathead and 2D Phillips on its belly, the large one has a very nice pocket clip) and carry flat in the pocket. Just have a look at them

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 11:41:59 PM by ThePeacent »
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

00 Offline MTG

Reply #33 on: June 30, 2017, 01:32:03 AM
I was dissapointed with the Skele pliers and the way they twist. Maybe mine weren't great, or perhaps my usage was a bit too heavy. I wouldn't have changing fuzes out of power boxes was heavy use though.

The cutters werent that sturdy either and seemed to dent, maybe the wire was too hard for the soft cutters though.

Ended up going back to cheap (albeit insulated) tools again. An insulated multi might be a good point of difference if anyone at at th he big companies is reading.

If I go back to that role again, I will try my new Wave :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 01:34:22 AM by MTG »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #34 on: June 30, 2017, 02:11:55 AM
I was just fiddling with my PowerAccess and it seems to me that if you add a zip tie to the blade for OHO capability it may drag the driver next to the blade (and possibly more tools) along with it and cause the lock failure that Grant experienced. You have to take care to avoid clumping on this tool, even if it's not defective.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #35 on: June 30, 2017, 04:56:47 PM
I was just fiddling with my PowerAccess and it seems to me that if you add a zip tie to the blade for OHO capability it may drag the driver next to the blade (and possibly more tools) along with it and cause the lock failure that Grant experienced. You have to take care to avoid clumping on this tool, even if it's not defective.

I couldn't find my smallest zip ties but the bigger one I tried makes me believe you are right. Some other thumb stud add-on with a very slim back of the blade profile would be better then a ziptie for this reason.  My brand new Power Access has some tool clumping when I open the knife anyways but it's also very stiff and I can't flip it open and closed as smoothly as the promo video.

I had an interesting situation happen yesterday where I only had my power access and a utility knife and I had to change the position of the saw on a pole tree branch trimmer....I needed a screwdriver for the screw side and a pliers for holding the back nut at the same time!  In that situation a second knife with a screw driver (SAK etc) would have saved me from having to go back to the tool bag. (is that a first world problem or what? :whistle:)  but seriously we all have fun obsessing getting everything we want in one multi-tool to the point we might overlook that some of these tools are going to have to be used in unison with each other.

ThePeacent thank you for summarizing the 'current state' of the MT world in relation to my stated needs.  I am testing the PowerAccess now.  No OHO and the thinner scalpel blade would be issues if it were my only edc.  The Pliers feel great and open smoothly...the rest of the tools have more of a lower end feel IMO they seem functional though from my testing. 

I like the tools that open from the outside but it's surprising how much junk seems to get in there.

thanks everyone for the comments

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #36 on: June 30, 2017, 07:10:32 PM

I couldn't find my smallest zip ties but the bigger one I tried makes me believe you are right. Some other thumb stud add-on with a very slim back of the blade profile would be better then a ziptie for this reason.  My brand new Power Access has some tool clumping when I open the knife anyways but it's also very stiff and I can't flip it open and closed as smoothly as the promo video.

I had an interesting situation happen yesterday where I only had my power access and a utility knife and I had to change the position of the saw on a pole tree branch trimmer....I needed a screwdriver for the screw side and a pliers for holding the back nut at the same time!  In that situation a second knife with a screw driver (SAK etc) would have saved me from having to go back to the tool bag. (is that a first world problem or what? :whistle:)  but seriously we all have fun obsessing getting everything we want in one multi-tool to the point we might overlook that some of these tools are going to have to be used in unison with each other.

ThePeacent thank you for summarizing the 'current state' of the MT world in relation to my stated needs.  I am testing the PowerAccess now.  No OHO and the thinner scalpel blade would be issues if it were my only edc.  The Pliers feel great and open smoothly...the rest of the tools have more of a lower end feel IMO they seem functional though from my testing. 

I like the tools that open from the outside but it's surprising how much junk seems to get in there.

thanks everyone for the comments

You may want to put a few drops of some good oil into the pliers pivot and work out any gunk that might still be in there from the factory. That may help to smooth the opening for you.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #37 on: July 01, 2017, 02:34:16 AM
Here is a quick size shot for you on the reactor. Pretty impressive to retain almost all of the skeletool features and be this size. Plus you get the stronger pliers grip with sog. Plus it's only like 30 bucks on amazon!

(Image removed from quote.)

Little more in the MTO Store, but you get the pride of having supported MTO!

https://store.multitool.org/sog/sog-reactor-18.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=2

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 01, 2017, 04:41:22 AM
Here is a quick size shot for you on the reactor. Pretty impressive to retain almost all of the skeletool features and be this size. Plus you get the stronger pliers grip with sog. Plus it's only like 30 bucks on amazon!

(Image removed from quote.)

Little more in the MTO Store, but you get the pride of having supported MTO!

https://store.multitool.org/sog/sog-reactor-18.html?SubmitCurrency=1&id_currency=2

Def
Oops sorry Grant!!!!! Didn't realize it was in the store! I should have checked before posting

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #39 on: July 06, 2017, 03:32:34 PM
well the lure of a new multitool seduced me into getting a signal  :whistle:

I removed the plastic bits right away and put them in the package, they are not something I'll need day to day and just add bulk and weight...although not much...I'd probably put them back in for a hiking/camping trip where I'd appreciate having them.

IMO the cablea's coyote tan signal is such an aesthetic improvement over the original color scheme but the yellow bits would be helpful should you ever drop your MT in the woods...I'll probably put a bright orange paracord lanyard in the bit hole near the hammer for this purpose as I could see it getting lost very easily if dropped.

Not sure how I feel about the locking mechanism...

the knife blade is stout and looks very functional, just what I need...

my initial impressions are that the signal could be considered a beefier more robust skeletool.  I never really cared for the 'style' of the skele but it's functionality for my uses made it my edc.

I still haven't got my warranty skele back but when I do I'll do a more detailed back and forth between them.

closed - Edited (1).jpg
* closed - Edited (1).jpg (Filesize: 184.63 KB)
opened - Edited (1).jpg
* opened - Edited (1).jpg (Filesize: 187.72 KB)
knife - Edited (1).jpg
* knife - Edited (1).jpg (Filesize: 198.3 KB)

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 06, 2017, 11:26:24 PM
Nice. I'm interested to hear how you get on with it.
I would like to see a 'big brother' to the Skeletool based on the Signal but with other tools in place of the whistle etc.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #41 on: July 25, 2017, 02:56:21 AM
I got my skeletool back from leatherman warranty after exactly one month.

some thoughts about my M.T. time in that period.

First on the skele:  After using the pocket clip on the SOG power access and the LM signal, the skele pocket clip really does not feel that secure in the pocket comparatively.  Getting spoiled by those clips will make it hard to go back.

The pliers seem tiny for the size of the skele compared to power access, signal and now the LM mini I picked up.  That's obvious from pictures of course but having them in hand the difference really stands out.  I'm not sure I'd trust the skele pliers for anything more then light duty (although it took me roughly eight years to break the skele's pliers)

Now some thoughts on signal.  although a little heavier then I like it to be, I'm happy with it thus far as a beefier skele.  My only grip would be the locking design that keeps the handles closed...I get that with the hammer something should hold the handles closed but I'll use the pliers way way way more then I'll ever use the hammer so it'd be nice if the signal would stay closed without the lock and a person could lock it before using the hammer.

I didn't know how much I'd use the awl before buying but I've used it a few times now and it's actually handy outside camp/wood work to have something to make very rough cuts on surfaces you wouldn't want to use the blade on.

While the signal is targeted toward the woods/camping use, I think it is quite capable in other roles.

call me crazy but I'd like to see a SS version without the plastic tools targeted for the same role as the skele.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #42 on: July 25, 2017, 01:50:41 PM
Interesting read.  :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #44 on: July 25, 2017, 07:43:16 PM
thanks gentleman,

I ended up returning the SOG power access today.  Despite the well designed pocket clip that helps the tool ride very comfortably and the smoothness of the pliers opening and closing, it wasn't that good of fit in my M.T. use with the non OHO blade.  I also didn't like how the tools bunched up when opening them.  I also strongly prefer to buy american made tools.

Not that the LM mini tool I just got has the OHO blade or pocket clip but the little thing sure is neat!

I could see myself carrying the mini-tool and an additional OHO knife with clip.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: July 25, 2017, 08:53:14 PM
I'll never understand the obsession with U.S.A made stuff. :P
LM has run out of ideas, so nowadays they break their pliers in half and sell them like that, and also make jewellery.  :P

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #46 on: July 25, 2017, 10:08:09 PM
LM has run out of ideas, so nowadays they break their pliers in half and sell them like that, and also make jewellery.  :P

I can understand the patriotism to an extent. I come from Sheffield, and it's nice to carry and use knives that were made there from time to time, but I don't use them exclusively or claim that any given place of manufacture is an automatic indication of quality level. The local heritage has a bit of meaning to me that it might not to other members.

I do personally think LM is a bit of a "has-been" too, but that's based on my own tool needs and preferences - and not the percentage of the tool that hails from outside the factory. For other people with different circumstances and priorities, their needs might still be best served by a LM. That's fine. I wish them every happiness with their chosen tools.

I think wherever possible though, we should encourage members to judge individual tools on their own merit, and not (positively or negatively) by brand or place of origin - with the obvious exception of SOG. We should always assume the worst with SOG (even if it's just to wind Nate and Rdub up  :whistle:)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #47 on: July 25, 2017, 10:35:54 PM

I'll start my response by saying that I think that there are quality made products produced in a lot of countries, and there are suspect quality products made right here in the usa.

Like my username suggests I'm also a huge SAK fan and I really appreciate the quality of the swiss workmanship.

The exodus of manufacturing jobs in the USA has been detrimental in a variety of ways and therefore I like to support companies who choose to continue to manufacture their products in the USA when I can.

If the ONLY thing I could find wrong with the power access for my use was the country of origin I would still have it.

I forgot to mention another fault I had with the power access was force multiplier design meaning the handles had to open twice as wide as a pliers without it.  I would never find myself needing to exert more force then I could without the multiplier but I would occasionally use the pliers on objects bigger then I could then grip the handles with sog design.  Some people in their use might enjoy that feature...it sure makes for a smooth opening and closing device. 

Sadly for us M.T. nuts I agree with you that LM seems to have run out of new ideas or perhaps shifted their focus on products I have little interest in.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: July 25, 2017, 11:39:55 PM
I can understand that issue with the Poweraccess, there is another member who complains about that. :cheers:
And I wasn't criticising or anything; barely anything is Made in Ireland.  :facepalm:
(Except for some Intel chip production, the economy is mostly based on service jobs, and online stuff, and tourism)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #49 on: July 26, 2017, 01:01:43 PM

I can understand the patriotism to an extent. I come from Sheffield, and it's nice to carry and use knives that were made there from time to time, but I don't use them exclusively or claim that any given place of manufacture is an automatic indication of quality level. The local heritage has a bit of meaning to me that it might not to other members.

I do personally think LM is a bit of a "has-been" too, but that's based on my own tool needs and preferences - and not the percentage of the tool that hails from outside the factory. For other people with different circumstances and priorities, their needs might still be best served by a LM. That's fine. I wish them every happiness with their chosen tools.

I think wherever possible though, we should encourage members to judge individual tools on their own merit, and not (positively or negatively) by brand or place of origin - with the obvious exception of SOG. We should always assume the worst with SOG (even if it's just to wind Nate and Rdub up  :whistle:)
Ha!   :rofl: :rofl:
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #50 on: July 26, 2017, 01:13:31 PM
LM and Victorinox are in the same boat. But they both have some solid designs would be in there best interest just to improve them or rather, update a few of there tools. SOG and Gerber has really been the only ones who have been trying new ideas out. Some good, some bad. SOG's best chance would be to go back the Powerlock and remake alot of the tools that go into the handles.
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #51 on: July 26, 2017, 04:20:59 PM
thanks gentleman,

I ended up returning the SOG power access today.  Despite the well designed pocket clip that helps the tool ride very comfortably and the smoothness of the pliers opening and closing, it wasn't that good of fit in my M.T. use with the non OHO blade.  I also didn't like how the tools bunched up when opening them.  I also strongly prefer to buy american made tools.

Not that the LM mini tool I just got has the OHO blade or pocket clip but the little thing sure is neat!

I could see myself carrying the mini-tool and an additional OHO knife with clip.

Did you have to give a reason for the return, or does REI allow returns a month later with no reason?

Honestly, I don't see why you didn't sell or trade it instead of returning. Keeping it for a month just seems like tire kicking. After that much time with an item like a knife or MT, with no defects, it's yours.

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #52 on: July 26, 2017, 04:39:21 PM
thanks gentleman,

Did you have to give a reason for the return, or does REI allow returns a month later with no reason?

Honestly, I don't see why you didn't sell or trade it instead of returning. Keeping it for a month just seems like tire kicking. After that much time with an item like a knife or MT, with no defects, it's yours.

Respectfully, REI allows returns on merchandise you are not completely happy with for up to a year from purchase, and it used to be lifetime.  They then sell the item in their garage sale.  You may have a different opinion on what time length is acceptable for a return but it is the policy REI decides to roll with.

I told the nice lady helping me about the handles having to open wider because of the multiplier effect.  I also told her that had I been able to try the tool outside of the packaging I might have been able to figure out that would be a problem.  REI has benchmades and various knives in a case for people to try but they don't do that for multi-tools.

I could have just as easily told her I didn't think the tools besides the pliers felt like a $55.95 dollar M.T. and she would have been ok with that, and that is my opinion, something that you can't really feel when the M.T. is in plastic clam shell.

The day I bought the SOG the REI employee himself mentioned the awesome year return policy when I told him I'd really like to feel it in hand before buying.

Why would I pay for a membership to REI that grants me a year return policy and not use it, esp on a product I can't feel in hand in the store?

Sorry for the mini rant, respectfully just exploring our differences of opinion on this topic.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:12:11 PM by WiSAKfan »

us Offline WiSAKfan

Reply #53 on: July 26, 2017, 05:25:27 PM
I can understand that issue with the Poweraccess, there is another member who complains about that. :cheers:
And I wasn't criticising or anything; barely anything is Made in Ireland.  :facepalm:
(Except for some Intel chip production, the economy is mostly based on service jobs, and online stuff, and tourism)

I didn't think you were being critical at all, only expressing your puzzlement on the obsession some people have with products being made in the usa

50ft summed it up great, in the end individual tools should be judged on their individual merits.

I really wanted to like the SOG enough to keep it in edc...those smooth opening pliers made the signal feel so clunky opening in comparison...i was even looking at oho knives to carry in addition to supplement the lack of on the sog
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 05:27:22 PM by WiSAKfan »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD