Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tool confiscated

00 Offline michaeljuan

Tool confiscated
on: June 24, 2017, 09:01:10 PM
Yesterday was a sad day. I drove my sister to a Jason Mraz concert and my victorinox manager was confiscated along with my titanium widgy bar. They will be missed dearly
Victorinox: Swisstool, Manager
Leatherman: Wingman
Gerber: Shard
County Comm: Pocket Widgy

and more to come

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Re: Tool confiscated
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 09:03:35 PM
 ???   ???
If all you did was drive, why were they taken?
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

00 Offline michaeljuan

Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 09:05:32 PM
I walked her into the concert (she's 12)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Victorinox: Swisstool, Manager
Leatherman: Wingman
Gerber: Shard
County Comm: Pocket Widgy

and more to come

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 09:13:02 PM
I walked her into the concert (she's 12)

That'll do it. Sorry for your lose. Hopefully replacements will be found.
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 11:44:14 PM
Bummer.  I've become overly cautious when going anywhere I am not familiar.  I tend to remove my 84mm, Pocket Wrench, and Squirt as well as leave my light.  I don't want to hear crap from anyone.   
Esse Quam Videri

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 12:38:39 AM
Didn't they give them back to you? They gave my Swisschamp back in the American Embassy and the Pentagon (the Greek one), And they stole it from you in a concert of what's his name?

I had flights Sunday and Tuesday and both my Wenger Traveler and Nitecore MH27 passed through. I had to use the Wenger driver on my glasses, so that was nice.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 02:10:04 AM
Concert security doesn't give things back to people.  It's not worth tagging things and holding them for return.  Most of the time people forget them anyway, and going to the effort of trying to tag and retain things means people will come looking for it weeks later when they remember that they forgot it.

Too much hassle.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 10:19:23 AM
You pay for the concert, therefore you are a client. You have some rights as a human being, a citizen and a client (3x). And then they take your property and they don't give it back to you? In my agenda, this is theft.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 10:23:22 AM
Bummer.  I've become overly cautious when going anywhere I am not familiar.  I tend to remove my 84mm, Pocket Wrench, and Squirt as well as leave my light.  I don't want to hear crap from anyone.
Meh..., I can leave my Vic, but not my light when going somewhere after sunset.
I'll grab a Sipik when the odds of confiscation are large.
When not, I replace the strike bezel on my Lenser with a plain stainless one.
The idea of being somewhere crowded during a power outage without a light gives me nightmares...

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 02:09:33 PM
You pay for the concert, therefore you are a client. You have some rights as a human being, a citizen and a client (3x). And then they take your property and they don't give it back to you? In my agenda, this is theft.

Private property has the right to restrict access to anyone based on any criteria they choose.  In a crowded area like a nightclub or concert something as small as a Victorinox Classic can make a HUGE mess.  Trust me- I've seen it happen.  Based on the other patrons' right to keep their flesh intact and their blood on the inside, I think it is a reasonable safety measure.

So, you deny access to anyone carrying a blade.  It is the patron's decision whether they want to meet that criteria- no one is forcing them to, and they are welcome to take the knife back to their car or simply walk away.

Concert security doesn't seize or confiscate blades, as that is theft, and if they do, then you should contact your local police department and report it.  What they actually do is provide a secure place for you to dispose of it if you do not wish to take it back out to your car or some other means of relieving yourself of it.

Honestly, I feel like folks should be allowed to carry whatever they want, wherever they want, and it very much sucks that this kind of thing has to happen.... but it does when crowd density passes a certain point.

Another club I worked in was a much quieter, calmer place and I allowed people (even those typically profiled as "criminal types") carry fixed blades openly inside, because there was simply no reason not to.  Yes, one (or more) of them could have drawn the blade(s) and threatened people, but to what end?  They may have gotten some free drinks and some cash from the till, but they wouldn't have gotten far.

There's a reason attacks only happen in crowded places, and precautions have to be taken in those situations.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 02:29:29 PM
Safety closets for hire would be nice, as I have seen in many places around the globe, just before the entry to museums, prisons, governmental buildings etc. They might be hired and give some extra cash to the owner, and peace of mind to the client.

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 03:51:55 PM
I had the same issue at a Tigers game a couple years ago. When I got to the gate I realized I still had a Vic Classic on my key ring, so I took it off the key ring and tossed it in the trash outside the gate. Rather have someone find it in the trash bin than give the security guard a freebie.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 03:56:26 PM
Though luck. It's live and learn, and sometimes the hard way. Next time you go to a concert you will know what to do.
Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 04:34:13 PM
I alway try to find some lockers (or however you call those boxes where you get a key after letting a coin go inside the mechanism) when I visit, as many museums, concert places, and government buildings have them before the security gates
Sometimes they're not obvious and you have to search a bit for them, but they've saved me from long trips back or lost items more than once
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 05:46:41 PM
Or backtrack a bit and find somewhere to hide it so you can go back and collect it later when you come out.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 09:31:26 PM
Safety closets for hire would be nice, as I have seen in many places around the globe, just before the entry to museums, prisons, governmental buildings etc. They might be hired and give some extra cash to the owner, and peace of mind to the client.

I agree.  When available they are great.

Unfortunately on this side of the pond they are very likely to be used for all manner of things that aren't usually worth the expense of cleaning out afterwards, which is why they don't bother with them.

Def

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 10:19:48 PM
I had a first time flyer with me at a flight a couple of years ago and she was about to try to get on with a huge pair of scissors. After tipping her off that she was most likely going to lose them she hid them in the ceiling in the women's room. Came back a week later and grabbed them on the return.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 05:29:11 PM
The idea of being somewhere crowded during a power outage without a light gives me nightmares...

Oh me too.  I just cannot stand to hear the lame reasons I wont be allowed to bring in a light.  My Phone has one.  My belt buckle will be confiscated next I suppose  :rofl: 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 09:59:05 PM

Oh me too.  I just cannot stand to hear the lame reasons I wont be allowed to bring in a light.  My Phone has one.  My belt buckle will be confiscated next I suppose  :rofl:
Like when you aren't alowed to wear a paracord bracelet because "you can strangle people with it"
Should we wear flip-flops and cut off our hands too maybe?

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 12:21:12 AM

Like when you aren't alowed to wear a paracord bracelet because "you can strangle people with it"
Should we wear flip-flops and cut off our hands too maybe?
Don't forget to cut off your legs... Remember Onatopp from Goldeneye?  :ahhh
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 12:42:48 AM
For the past 25 years, (estimate) that my kids or wife and I have attended concerts, there have always been a list of stipulations pertaining to the venue and performers.  Concert Halls, Arenas, and outdoor venues. 
Started out regarding beverages and food, to cameras and video gear and now guns, knives, back packs, hand bags etc. 
a football stadium down the road requires special clear bags to be carried if you need to have such a reason to carry multiple items that are permitted. 

The ticket is your part of the contract and most likely the full details are in print somewhere in advance of the event. 

Luke Bryant has done farm concerts in the area the past couple years, the rules are strict and fully enforced.  Yet well known in advance. 

So successful he returning for a third. 

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 01:12:46 AM
The thing that gets me is confiscating the widgy. Are they afraid you're going to use it like a kubaton, or just dismantle the building from the inside out? :think:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 08:27:43 AM
The thing that gets me is confiscating the widgy. Are they afraid you're going to use it like a kubaton, or just dismantle the building from the inside out? :think:

Any piece of metal could be dangerous. I wonder if they also confiscate pens.  :think:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 12:09:54 PM

Any piece of metal could be dangerous. I wonder if they also confiscate pens.  :think:

Or prosthetic hips...

:think: :think:

On an unrelated note: am I the only one to read marijuana when I see the username in the OP?...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 12:37:17 PM
The thing that gets me is confiscating the widgy.

That's the triumph of emotion over reason.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 02:03:22 PM

not necessarily metal, even a wooden pencil will kill. Thinking of John Wick movies as of now...  :whistle:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 02:15:50 PM

On an unrelated note: am I the only one to read marijuana when I see the username in the OP?...
If OP's user name was MARY, yes, not so much with Michael as I see it. 
I often see different words at 1st glance, after 2nd look then it is more sensible.  Darn speed reading course!

If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

not necessarily metal, even a wooden pencil will kill. Thinking of John Wick movies as of now...  :whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w8lJNEQTfk

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 04:16:33 PM

If OP's user name was MARY, yes, not so much with Michael as I see it. 
I often see different words at 1st glance, after 2nd look then it is more sensible.  Darn speed reading course!

You're probably right, LookButter...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 08:54:34 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31