Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Some favorites and why.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Some favorites and why.
on: June 25, 2017, 06:41:23 AM
I was asked to list some favorites, so I was not sure where to start, and after careful though to what and why; this is my list. They are fairly equal with different reasons, so there is no order, but just in the direction they show in the picture.

Starting left to right:

Leatherman Crunch:
It has locking semi-blunted pliers and a small compliment of effective locking tools. The vise style pliers are great when you need force and grip is hard to achieve.

Leatherman Rebar:
This is a neat tool that fixes a few issues the original PST had. But, above all for me, it is a medium sized tool with heavy duty needle nose pliers. A great compliment of tools makes this a great option for people who want the tools and don't mind opening it up each time to get them. Tools are also a good size for the format.

Leatherman Surge:
Well, it is bad to da bone. Big, beefy, and outside tools. Blade changer for file and saw make it easy to expand its' function. Also, optional bit kit makes this an all in one beast. A little heavy for the average joe, but you won't be feeling in need of more tools with this baby.

Schrade Tough Tool U.S.A version:
This was one of the biggest strongest multi ools for quite some time and has a fantastic assortment of tools. With exception of the depth gauge, which a few had scissors instead, but that should have been the standard to start with. There are many versions,  but the one pictures is the most common by far.

SOG Powerlock Assist:
Sexy looks, super fine needle nose pliers, fair assortment of tools, and asssisted blades make this one of the biggest MTs around. The compound leverage give them a near perfect grip, but only on smaller bolts and nuts, because of the pliers not opening very wide.

Gerber Center Drive:
Long hex bit holder, long outside knife and some handy tools in the handle make this a cool option for a guy who works in construction or urban environments. Spring loaded, with replaceable wire cutters make this a fine tool for many people!
My job is antiques restoration and I use the file and nail puller a lot, so this really helps me out when I can't get the furniture piece to my tool room. Also it is primarily U.S.A, even some tools!

Gerber MP600 Bluntnose:
This has a fair selection of useable tools that are standard on many MTs. Even qith having to open the pliers for tool access, this is still a great tool overall. The bluntnose version is my favorite, because it is what everyone who loved their Gerber pinchy really needed to have to avoid those blisters.

Gerber Octane:
It looks good and has a great outboard blade. The blister pack opening tool is awesone and the pliers are better than I expected. Light weight and fun to flick when you're bored. But, beware, you may be having to get a sheath, so the pliers won't drop open from using the pocket clip.

Final thought:
O.K. I really can't seem to pick favorites very well and I like certain aspects of most of my tools anyways. These just seem to end up being used the most.

I hope to make some more subjective opinion threads in the future about random assortments of MTs. I tend to always approach things objectively and let my subjective opinion take over after hars use and observation. I don't have a favorite brand at all, so most MTs are awesome in some way or another. Whether it is the jaws, the tools, the way the tools deploy, the size, or the weight; these tools are useful and fun in any case.

Note: I was going to throw in my Swiss Champ SAK, but it was too apples to oranges along side the Gerbers, LMs, Schrade and SOG.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. Please forgive any grammatical errors, as I wrote all of this on my phone.  :cheers:
20170624_204653-1-1_1.jpeg
* 20170624_204653-1-1_1.jpeg (Filesize: 49.15 KB)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Some favorites and why.
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:18:15 AM
It can be hard to narrow down to a favorite.  Each tool has a place and so its a favorite.  I think you'll several people here who would agree with tools on your list.  I know I can.  I'd also say the Swisschamp is among one of my favorites as well. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:48:18 AM
I can never answer this one as they are all my favorites. My easy answer years ago was the Leatherman Knifeless Fuse which I carried at work and was my daily companion.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 02:52:52 AM
Great list of favorites :tu:

I have several favorite models and find it hard to choose between them so I rotate through many different ones to give me a mixture of all of them :cheers: :like:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 03:36:12 AM
Thanks y'all!
Yeah, after I selected to post it, I started to have second thoughts, but stuck with my initial choices. But, indeed, it is soooooo hard to chose a favorite when you have the MT fever.  :multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 02:14:08 PM
You have many of my favorites there as well- notably the Surge, Crunch, Center-Drive and MP600, but you forgot two very important ones!  I am surprised to see neither the SwissTool or the Spirit on there.  Do you not have either of those or is there something about them you don't like?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 09:46:56 PM
You have many of my favorites there as well- notably the Surge, Crunch, Center-Drive and MP600, but you forgot two very important ones!  I am surprised to see neither the SwissTool or the Spirit on there.  Do you not have either of those or is there something about them you don't like?

Def
I have not even held or seen in person a swisstool. But, it is on my MT bucket list. I try to buy good condition used MTs when possible, so maybe one day someone will have a gently used swiss tool for $20-$40 at the markets.I have a lot of SAKs though, but they don't fit in the plier based list I made. If the swisstool is made as well as my swiss champ, then I won't at all be disappointed.  :)

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 10:13:15 PM
I like quite a few, and rotate between them according to what is coming or what happens to lay around. Come to think of it seems they are all pocket friendly in size and weight. I guess I just don't use the belt sized ones. Anyway, here goes in no particular order:

Sanrenmu 7056-T4: Primarily a nice little flipper knife, but with the addition of a bottle opener/ flat screwdriver combo, a line/ belt cutter, and window breaker. I tend to grab that one instead of a similar sized knife, because why not bring the extras too? The knife as such is equally good anyway.

IDL Tools T5: Very simple but surprisingly functional little tool, that also happens to perfectly travel friendly. No sharp or pointy bits, just a nice little plier with screwdrivers. (Actually would like a T7 with even more screwdrivers, but haven't been able to locate that one).

Leatherman Micra: Just an overall very nice little compact package. I keep losing them or getting them confiscated though.

Leatherman Juice various: Nice size and tool selection for those little everyday things, and better finish quality than say a Wave.

Ruiss 1021: Basically a down-sized Leatherman Juice design at half the weight or so. Decent quality. Nice for those even smaller everyday things.

Gerber Dime: I like the package and concept, and that little packing knife. It does leave a bit to be desired on the plier and scissor side though. Still a favorite for the concept if not for the execution.

Victorinox/ Wenger Evogrip 18. Just a handy and nice tool selection. The one I tend to pick up when pliers aren't needed or mini-sized isn't an option.

Victorinox Cybertool: The bits might be small, but they do add to the available options, and the overall tool is still compact sized. And the bits are stored in the tool itself, so a pocket friendly solution.

Victorinox Mini-Champ: It is just cute, isn't that reason enough? Very handy, although I never use the more exotic tools.

Sanrenmu WA731: Shaper knife and more sturdy tools than the 84-93 mm Swiss ones (blasphemy!). Also a slightly worse scissor. Still very nice.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 11:20:11 PM

Def
I have not even held or seen in person a swisstool. But, it is on my MT bucket list. I try to buy good condition used MTs when possible, so maybe one day someone will have a gently used swiss tool for $20-$40 at the markets.I have a lot of SAKs though, but they don't fit in the plier based list I made. If the swisstool is made as well as my swiss champ, then I won't at all be disappointed.  :)

I doubt you will be disappointed in the least- at least not in the SwissTool or Spirit.  I warn you though, when you see how well made they are, you may not be interested in any of your others any more!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 03:31:22 AM

Def

I doubt you will be disappointed in the least- at least not in the SwissTool or Spirit.  I warn you though, when you see how well made they are, you may not be interested in any of your others any more!

Def
Well, I hope that I still care for my other MTs along side a future swisstool. :multi: I may even get a notion to save for a brand new one at some point. I have wasted enough money on non real brand stuff, I could have bought several spirits. Live and learn I guess.
Which, in your opinion would be the best one to save for, Grant?

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 03:37:54 AM

Def

So tell me what you think of this '98 model.  Victorinox has made a few refinements over the years but all in all they got it right the 1st time.
PM me your info if you like what you see and it's yours.  Just because God has blessed me and I want to share the blessings.  I also belive there is no better tool on the market.
20170619_205228.jpg
* 20170619_205228.jpg (Filesize: 288.12 KB)
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 05:58:00 AM
Hi Douglas,
I greatly appreciate the offer and would love to take care of a beautiful 98' swisstool MT.
PM has been sent as well. Know it is going to a good home. None of my MTs have ever been abused after I got them, but do get used as intended!

God bless Douglas!

-GLBM
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:00:37 AM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 09:21:13 AM
PM received.   :2tu:  It may take a couple of days for me to get it to USPS and I'll let you know when takes off.  I know it'll be in good hands and don't worry about abusiing it, I don't think its possible.  These are the A1A Abrams of MTs, my original '98 has been used in every concievable way.  From making a wodden Cross for a Clergeyman on retreat to hammering nails into a broken picket fence to cutting and filing stainless steal panels to repair and install commercial dish machines.  It only retired a couple of years ago and now resides in my Wifes desk at the school where she teaches.  Even in retirement it still comes out to play  :woohoo: (fixing student desks, chairs, pulling staples etc...) from time to time.  I'ld even say it's still "one tough old geazer" that I would want to have my back any day.  Hope you enjoy this little beauty.  Ok so it's not realy so little,  :rofl: still a beauty though.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 01:59:40 PM
Very generous of you Douglas   :like: :salute:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: June 27, 2017, 02:28:54 PM
PM received.   :2tu:  It may take a couple of days for me to get it to USPS and I'll let you know when takes off.  I know it'll be in good hands and don't worry about abusiing it, I don't think its possible.  These are the A1A Abrams of MTs, my original '98 has been used in every concievable way.  From making a wodden Cross for a Clergeyman on retreat to hammering nails into a broken picket fence to cutting and filing stainless steal panels to repair and install commercial dish machines.  It only retired a couple of years ago and now resides in my Wifes desk at the school where she teaches.  Even in retirement it still comes out to play  :woohoo: (fixing student desks, chairs, pulling staples etc...) from time to time.  I'ld even say it's still "one tough old geazer" that I would want to have my back any day.  Hope you enjoy this little beauty.  Ok so it's not realy so little,  :rofl: still a beauty though.
I love a well used and well loved MT.
They seem to look nicer with a few blemishes and a blade that has been sharpened a few times. 8)
My few SAK pocket knives almost never have any rust...if ever. The steel is hard enough to use, but also springy enough they don't snap or shatter easily. I have only ever broke the tip off of an older nautical style SAK, but ground it to a more saber shape.
(Now to make a SAK thread).

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 02:30:09 PM

What Steve said :o Very awesome and generous Douglas :tu: :like: :like:

Also a big congrats to you as well glbm :like: :like: Very early model Swisstool and except for them making the plier head beefier over the years this tool hasn't changed much at all :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 03:09:32 PM
I guess my preference for Swisstool or Spirit is immaterial now, but as I was asked I will share my thoughts on that anyway!

But first- great gesture Douglas!  Good on you man!

So, back to the matter at hand, I don't actually have a preference between them. The Spirit is lighter weight and absolutely a work of art, like a fine sports car. 

The Swisstool is a larger, heavier duty tool that can hold its own against any of the big boys, and in fact, it arguably dethroned Leatherman as the quintessential tool when it came out.  No longer were people asking how Tool X compared to the Super Tool, they started asking how it compared to the Swiss Tool!

So, in short, the Spirit is a Ferrari and the Swisstool is a Pinzgauer.  Both will get you where you want to go, but one will do it faster and the other will go through anything!

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 03:41:26 PM
I guess my preference for Swisstool or Spirit is immaterial now, but as I was asked I will share my thoughts on that anyway!

So, back to the matter at hand, I don't actually have a preference between them. The Spirit is lighter weight and absolutely a work of art, like a fine sports car. 

The Swisstool is a larger, heavier duty tool that can hold its own against any of the big boys, and in fact, it arguably dethroned Leatherman as the quintessential tool when it came out.  No longer were people asking how Tool X compared to the Super Tool, they started asking how it compared to the Swiss Tool!

So, in short, the Spirit is a Ferrari and the Swisstool is a Pinzgauer.  Both will get you where you want to go, but one will do it faster and the other will go through anything!

Def
Thank you Grant!
You guys have me feeling like a kid again about the swisstool coming from Douglas!
I had wondered about my next leg of MT adventure and this may be it!  :multi:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 03:56:36 PM

What Steve said :o Very awesome and generous Douglas :tu: :like: :like:

Also a big congrats to you as well glbm :like: :like: Very early model Swisstool and except for them making the plier head beefier over the years this tool hasn't changed much at all :tu:

:salute:  awesome gesture Douglass. 
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 03:58:06 PM
what a class act Douglas,  :hatsoff:
A truly fenomenal tool from a truly awesome owner.

The kind of things that make Mto.org the best place to hang around on the net  :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 04:06:07 PM

Def
Thank you Grant!
You guys have me feeling like a kid again about the swisstool coming from Douglas!
I had wondered about my next leg of MT adventure and this may be it!  :multi:

I use a 98 plier head Swisstool and have also hammered nails with it.  No massive nails mind you but point is this tool is a beast.  I think those who buy this tool feel the shiny look means they should baby it.  I can tell you that so far from the truth its silly.  Those who have used their Swisstool or Spirit know these tools can stand up to work and work is what they are meant to do. 

The plier tip on the Swisstool to me is a great middle ground between the needle nose we are familiar with on Leatherman tools and the snub nose of the early Gerber ( Mr Pinchy ) pliers.  The tools implement density is outstanding and the variety of what they've included is awesome. 

We hear so many times guys wanting a small pry tool.  Well Victorinox gave us one on the Swisstool.  Its called a crate opener iirc.  Doesn't matter what its called it works wonderfully. 

Anyways congrats on the terrific RAK by Douglass and please follow up once you've got it in hand and used it a bit.     
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 04:46:15 PM
Thanks y'all! I will def use the swisstool on one of the antique wardrobes I am working on right now. Lots of flat head screws and cutting dowels.  :ahhh

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 05:50:14 PM

The kind of things that make Mto.org the best place to hang around on the net  :tu:

I have to agree on your comment about MTo.org, haven't been here long myself but it's been a blast, and oh so much to learn!
Now everybody STOP embarrissing me  :dwts:.  I'm only spreading God's Glory and doing what the Holy Spirit instructed me to.  Keep up the praise just put it on the Lord for all things come from Him.  :hatsoff:
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 11:45:55 PM
My favorite is Swisstool Spirit and only Spirit and only Spirit X !

And all of you know why its a great tool!

;)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 12:45:46 AM
Great pic  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 01:00:00 AM
That pic makes me want to fondle my Swisstool :whistle:

:tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 02:02:00 AM

I have to agree on your comment about MTo.org, haven't been here long myself but it's been a blast, and oh so much to learn!
Now everybody STOP embarrissing me  :dwts:.  I'm only spreading God's Glory and doing what the Holy Spirit instructed me to.  Keep up the praise just put it on the Lord for all things come from Him.  :hatsoff:
Agreed. We're all so blessed to wake each morning and contribute to the world. I feel so blessed with my life when I can do what is asked of me by God when the occasion arises.  :)

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 02:08:08 AM
 :like:
Top notch photography, or is realy just such a sexy subject you can't go wrong?  :whistle:  I vote for the subject!  :drool:  Sorry V, it is what it is.
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 04:14:36 AM
Well G-Man it's on it's way.  Hope you can handle the wait  :poh:
Just kick back and enjoy,  :popcorn: the real fun will start with the arival, and opening cerimonies.
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 04:19:01 AM
Tracking shows you only have to make it from here to TGIF. :facepalm: Bet that has a new meaning now. :rofl: :rofl:
Dr.  McCoy

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44