Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Antivirus?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Antivirus?
Reply #30 on: July 04, 2017, 01:39:01 PM
I did it.

My paranoia won out and I bought a year subscription to McAfee.  I decided that in the end, the peace of mind was worth the $30 or so it cost.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 10:14:40 PM
I've been using Avast (the free version) for the last ten years and I think it does the job a lot better than the Norton (that I bought ...) which I used before.

I don't like McAfee very much because it has installed (or tried to install) on my laptop on numerous occasions while installing/updating something else (at least I think it was McAfee ... old people and modern technology ::)).

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: July 06, 2017, 02:37:39 AM
McAfee likes to try and install itself with browsers and I think Adobe products.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #33 on: July 06, 2017, 08:56:37 AM
McAfee likes to try and install itself with browsers and I think Adobe products.

Def

Yep it likes to add it's pishing filter stuff and safe site scanner, etc if you let it.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #34 on: July 06, 2017, 09:24:55 AM
I've been using Avast (paid version, but nothing wrong with the free version) for years with absolutely no issues. :tu:

I'd stay away from McAfee, they used to be good in early 2000's, but now... I mean, good software doesn't  need to
try to sneak in onto your computer without permission, right?
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #35 on: July 06, 2017, 11:50:03 PM
I've been using Avast (paid version, but nothing wrong with the free version) for years with absolutely no issues. :tu:

I'd stay away from McAfee, they used to be good in early 2000's, but now... I mean, good software doesn't  need to

I feel exactly the same way  :cheers: If you have to click a box in order to NOT download software, I think clicking that box is worth the effort.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #36 on: July 07, 2017, 02:52:20 AM

I feel exactly the same way  :cheers: If you have to click a box in order to NOT download software, I think clicking that box is worth the effort.

Couldn't agree more there.

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #37 on: July 07, 2017, 04:53:43 AM
For personal use, having an antivirus is very useful, if you see the amount of attacks done for personal use pc its actually quite a lot. However, most of these attacks are done in random and the target is many users. An open source antivirus should do. Personally, using norton for my work pc is quite reassuring but for my personal pc i dont really put one. I guess if you know what you're doing then antivirus is just ads and bloatware in some sense.  :D  :cheers:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #38 on: July 10, 2017, 03:44:17 AM
I did a search for best free antivirus and came up with this http://au.pcmag.com/antivirus-reviews-and/44373/guide/the-best-free-antivirus-protection-of-2017 so put Avast onto my PC.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 22, 2017, 02:30:26 AM
Try Avast boss. I've been using it for years now, no problems.
 :tu:

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #40 on: July 22, 2017, 07:22:48 AM
  Kapersky is probably the best paid version. McAfee would be the one of the worst choices. Trend-Micro was good back in the day but they kept increasing their subscription prices.

Malwarebytes was good too, but slows my system down at times. It kept sending me stuff about how it protects from Ransomware and think it was using it as a scare tactic. Their previous iteration was targeting safe & useful apps as PUPs left and right, then their update stopped doing that. As much as they talk about Ransomware am starting to think they thrive on threats and probably support Ransomware just to sell their product. Am cancelling soon as the expiration wears out this month.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #41 on: July 22, 2017, 01:57:34 PM
What I really hate is when it is only after you buy something that everyone says you shouldn't buy it.  ;)

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #42 on: October 04, 2017, 10:17:05 AM
my computer is ancient by todays standards, still using horrible vista which is obsolete and I cant update chrome or itunes anymore. it came with macafee, but I only renewed it once or twice. switched over to avast free version, and for malware I use superantispyware.

the other day I picked up a minor bug from yahoo, avast was able to remove it after a quick scan and about a 6 hour boot scan which was like pulling teeth.

both programs are free. even if you do a spyware sweep with SAS, the next day you will have 1600 adware cookies back on your machine, not sure which sites I frequent that dump them on me, but its quite annoying

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 01:40:34 PM
So far McAfee hasn't been too annoying.  I probably won't renew it next year, in favor of one of the free options, but for now I am not regretting my decision to buy it.

Def

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 01, 2017, 03:18:58 AM
i got a free license on norton security deluxe from family member I can use, or my new laptop comes with 6 month trend micro IS, anybody familiar with these? havent installed yet,

so when I first turn the laptop on im sure windows firewall will be on, then I have to get the norton from an email link, I know it has a firewall as well, the trend does not, anybody?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:24:42 AM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

ca Offline GuacamoleBay

Reply #45 on: December 01, 2017, 05:09:41 AM
I use Linux so that solves most of my malware issues! But the rest of my defense is a mixture of ClamAV and being careful (check the SHA sums of software, only download from trusted sources, using strong passwords, etc.)

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: December 01, 2017, 05:20:51 AM
I'll probably just go with the norton, has longer license, dont want to change the os, but thanks for the help

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: December 01, 2017, 08:32:59 AM
I would recommend staying away from norton and anything else that puts the words security and deluxe or suite together.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: December 01, 2017, 10:26:04 AM
I would recommend staying away from norton and anything else that puts the words security and deluxe or suite together.

It looks like there's a pre installed 1 year trial for macafee livesafe as well, I haven't activated it yet. The preinstalled Netflix app doesn't open lol, getting error code will have to uninstall and try again I guess.

Was using avast on desktop for years and superantispyware. Were you advising against norton because it may slow down the laptop? I had it years ago on an old pc and it was really boogging down my system, but I've read they have improved it vastly

This is the dell Best Buy doorbuster $350 unit, all I could afford right now, decent specs, touchscreen and DVD drive but  can't say how good it is yet
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:35:54 AM by Blackbeard »

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: December 01, 2017, 10:34:21 AM
Really wanted a ssd hard drive and 1080p, but units were out of my budget, this has 2tb hdd, I probably have to remove the bloat ware to get it in better shape as well
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:38:25 AM by Blackbeard »

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: December 01, 2017, 10:37:22 AM
Hmm it just rebooted itself and asked permission to transmit presinstalled software info to dell, maybe Netflix app will work now

Yeah now Netflix app is working, I haven't had a new pc in over 10 years, and never owned a laptop, hope this one works out
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 10:40:41 AM by Blackbeard »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: December 01, 2017, 02:14:33 PM
Good luck with the new machine!  It sounds like you got a much better deal than I did wen I bought mine a few months ago!  :D

Def

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: December 02, 2017, 02:02:12 AM
Good luck with the new machine!  It sounds like you got a much better deal than I did wen I bought mine a few months ago!  :D

Def

thanks boss

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #53 on: December 02, 2017, 03:27:46 AM
Ah antivirus software... slowing down computers for multiple decades and counting.  :D

Havent got a virus since the 90s (when I maybe downloaded questionable content)  Dont use a computer for anything more than email and surfing now so dont care about AV.  Everything I care about is in my gmail or stored in multiple redudant places.  I have no vectors for infection nor do I care if I get infected.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: December 02, 2017, 03:35:52 AM
Were you advising against norton because it may slow down the laptop?

Yes. Resource hog and system crippler. Still the first thing I axe when dealing with problem computers.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 09:35:47 AM
I have used Norton in the past but in my personal experience it slowed everything down. Maybe nowadays it's better.

For the past years I have a paid version of Panda. It works well, everything is in the background so you don't get annoyed with pop-ups, except when it finds something suspicious. Can't notice any slowing down on the system.

Price is around € 25 per year, then you'll get a licence for 3 computers. We have 2 PC's and 1 laptop, so we're covered. A single licence is around € 15.

Don't buy directly from Panda, thats way more expensive. I buy it from a licence reseller (like licence2go.com)
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: December 07, 2017, 10:46:06 AM
I have used Norton in the past but in my personal experience it slowed everything down. Maybe nowadays it's better.

For the past years I have a paid version of Panda. It works well, everything is in the background so you don't get annoyed with pop-ups, except when it finds something suspicious. Can't notice any slowing down on the system.

Price is around € 25 per year, then you'll get a licence for 3 computers. We have 2 PC's and 1 laptop, so we're covered. A single licence is around € 15.

Don't buy directly from Panda, thats way more expensive. I buy it from a licence reseller (like licence2go.com)
I find the free version enough for my needs.
The cloud based virus database is delightfull! No more annoying mandatory updates.
Install and forget.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #57 on: December 07, 2017, 07:34:21 PM
I don´t really know what antivirus software is running on my laptop. It was there when I got it.

I´ve been on the Internet since its conception in 1991 and only once did something go wrong. I clicked an advertisement and before I knew what was happening there was a ransomware program disguised as a police message. I had been found guilty of some hideous digital crimes and would I pay a $ 100 fine to release my data? Of course not. I needed about 10 minutes to fix the problem,  just leaving me with an unusable user account that I was able to recover the contents of anyway, so no data loss.

PS Kaspersky is very good, but suspect as well, or so I´ve heard.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%