Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I love FB Tough Guys

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I love FB Tough Guys
on: June 26, 2017, 02:01:01 AM
Here's the back story- someone posted on FB asking whether or not he should shave off his beard.  Then some other guy posts one of those memes that says that men without beards are called women.  So, I responded, because I think this beard worship stuff is absolutely silly.  I've got nothing against beards, I just believe there's more to being a "real man" than having one. 

Some other dude apparently disagrees and makes a rude comment, assuming I am one of those "snowflakes" that all of the "manly men" like to make fun of these days. 

So I decided to have some fun with it....  >:D

Def
Screenshot_20170625-194543.jpg
* Screenshot_20170625-194543.jpg (Filesize: 86.58 KB)
Screenshot_20170625-194550.jpg
* Screenshot_20170625-194550.jpg (Filesize: 76.5 KB)
Screenshot_20170625-194601.jpg
* Screenshot_20170625-194601.jpg (Filesize: 93.34 KB)
Screenshot_20170625-194612.jpg
* Screenshot_20170625-194612.jpg (Filesize: 78.2 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: I love FB Tough Guys
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 02:03:42 AM
 :facepalm:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 02:30:38 AM
 :rofl:
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 02:35:27 AM
Apparently shooting, driving 4x4's and motorbikes with a beard are the only requirements for being a man these days.

Too bad you shaved yours off Chako- I bet you miss peeing while standing up!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 02:46:21 AM
Late here, so sorry in advance for getting philosophical and stuff on your asses:

I believe we all have yardsticks to measure what we personally consider important in life or society. This causes chrashes though when someone assume that their own personal yardstick is the only true universal measure of some kind; be that of manliness, competence, success or life in general.

This doesn't make much sense as we are all different, with different interests and priorities, life situations and circumstances. We all have unique journeys in life, and we don't all subscribe to the same yardsticks. (Or walk to the same drums. Whatever.)

Humans being humans one can also be fairly sure that whatever yardstick someone holds up as the right one, just so also happens to be a yardstick which that person scores well on. Often that is aligned around their major achivements in life. Well, this guy has grown a beard, and holds that up as being real important...

We all have our own yardsticks - that is all good. Where it starts to get messy is when someone tries to push their yardstick onto others and proceed to value and treat them according to it.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 02:54:18 AM
I remember years ago reading a spoof of Star Trek and they were making fun of Riker from the first season to the second.  If you recall, he was clean shaven in the first season, then bearded the rest of the series.

Basically the joke in the book was, that as First Officer his duties revolved around striking a pose, cocking his head to the side and repeating the Captain's orders.

This simplistic version of Riker had decided that there must be more to life than posing and repeating whatever the Captain said, so he decided to improve himself by taking on an intellectual challenge.  Some suggested he travel, others suggested learned a foreign language, but he decided that the correct challenge for him was.... you guessed it.... growing a beard.

When I see these guys pretending that a beard is the only yardstick for manliness I just guess they are all just sick of posing....

Def

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 03:02:27 AM
Dang it. I guess I'll have just have to grow a beard - maybe the world really is totally amazing with a beard? Only one way to know for sure.

Edit: Scrap that plan. The lady has strong opinions on the subject, and had a bad cough that sounded like sleeping and couch. I've come to realize that life with a beard most likely isn't better for me at least - no experiment necessary.  :D

Ref posing, I guess some is more interested to look the part rather then doing the part. Whatever rocks their boat. Problems start if they start confusing those two, and think that looking equals being good at doing, or that doing requires looking a certain way. That said, shameless posers or poser with no self-awareness can be heaps of fun! :D

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 03:19:58 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 03:48:31 AM
So you won a fight on facebook aye Grant?

The thing about arguing on the internet is....

To stick with the philosophy of this debate - I don't hold with any yardstick of "manliness" - Whether it is beards, cool scars, going fishing, supporting the local sportsball team, having cash money, etc etc.

If I could find a woman that'd have me, I'd be more than happy to wear silk pajamas and clean the house every day, and the best part is, (thanks mostly to a quirk of how I was born) - I could still call myself a man!

"Being a man" is synonymous with "being an adult" - Taking responsibility for yourself, and living your life by whatever creed you choose to go with.

but, the old "pissing contest" is an ancient tradition, and not one to be easily set aside....

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 04:00:53 AM

The ability to grow a beard or not depends on two things: genetics and age.
Being more "manly" (whatever that is) will not affect that.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:01:57 AM by Syncop8r »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 05:49:08 AM
One of the good things about this forum is the lack of idiots like that.

Keep up the good work every one!   :cheers:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 07:09:46 AM
Def, my only wish is that I was less manly. I can literally watch my facial hair grow in a day!  :rofl:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

hr Offline styx

Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 08:03:49 AM
yes because beards are manly, especially when you consider all the oils, balms, waxes, styling combs and who knows what else these guys use.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 08:28:24 AM
Nice one Grant  :salute: being a man Hmm well yes I fish,kayak,use knives and like big ones  ;) but I don't drive but did ride motorbikes for years,but hey none of that or my beard make me a man,supporting my family emotionally and financially, having fun with my kids,loving my amazing wife, now that's being a man, none of the BS keyboard warriors go on about  :tu:  I avoid these arguements on forums and FB there days as you cant win so no point,it's not like you can punch them in the face  :D  but we'll said Grant  :salute:

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 09:10:17 AM
In Greek we have a chauvinist saying: a beard is a homosexual man' s yashmak.

Just saying...   :whistle: :D

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 09:41:51 AM
Over the years I've been clean shaven, had a big long beard, had a goatee and I'm clean shaven these days - I don't think facial hair has ever made me feel more "manly" just a bit old now it's going grey  :D

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 09:51:40 AM
Here's the back story- someone posted on FB asking whether or not he should shave off his beard.  Then some other guy posts one of those memes that says that men without beards are called women.  So, I responded, because I think this beard worship stuff is absolutely silly.  I've got nothing against beards, I just believe there's more to being a "real man" than having one. 

Some other dude apparently disagrees and makes a rude comment, assuming I am one of those "snowflakes" that all of the "manly men" like to make fun of these days. 

So I decided to have some fun with it....  >:D

Def

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 12:09:18 PM
Nice one Grant  :salute: being a man Hmm well yes I fish,kayak,use knives and like big ones  ;) but I don't drive but did ride motorbikes for years,but hey none of that or my beard make me a man,supporting my family emotionally and financially, having fun with my kids,loving my amazing wife, now that's being a man, none of the BS keyboard warriors go on about  :tu:  I avoid these arguements on forums and FB there days as you cant win so no point,it's not like you can punch them in the face  :D  but we'll said Grant  :salute:

Hit the nail on the head right there Paul.... it's not the beard that makes the man, it's the man that makes the man. 

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 12:30:40 PM
Late here, so sorry in advance for getting philosophical and stuff on your asses:

I believe we all have yardsticks to measure what we personally consider important in life or society. This causes chrashes though when someone assume that their own personal yardstick is the only true universal measure of some kind; be that of manliness, competence, success or life in general.

This doesn't make much sense as we are all different, with different interests and priorities, life situations and circumstances. We all have unique journeys in life, and we don't all subscribe to the same yardsticks. (Or walk to the same drums. Whatever.)

Humans being humans one can also be fairly sure that whatever yardstick someone holds up as the right one, just so also happens to be a yardstick which that person scores well on. Often that is aligned around their major achivements in life. Well, this guy has grown a beard, and holds that up as being real important...

We all have our own yardsticks - that is all good. Where it starts to get messy is when someone tries to push their yardstick onto others and proceed to value and treat them according to it.

Major Achivements!

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 12:32:40 PM

Hit the nail on the head right there Paul.... it's not the beard that makes the man, it's the man that makes the man. 

Def

Sorry to disagree, boss. A beard is the mark of a real man!

Show content

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 12:48:05 PM

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 12:50:35 PM

Def

Cheers Grant  :tu:  I don't get it right that often  :D but just keeping food on the table and bills paid is hard enough these days , as for using a axe and making fire etc yeah I can do that with or without a beard  ;)

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 12:56:01 PM
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:57:12 PM by Mechanickal »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 01:08:29 PM
https://youtu.be/wXYayg3070U

I agree.

Ordinarily.

Sometimes it is fun to stir the pot a little.   >:D

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 01:13:33 PM
What's the saying? "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Or something like that.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 01:20:37 PM
What's the saying? "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Or something like that.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 02:06:40 PM

ohh we've had em, they just don't get the support they need and want here (thanks to Grant and his minions)

that's funny boss, too bad no matter what you say or even prove he'll never get it... ::) :cheers:

hr Offline styx

Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 02:18:02 PM
to be fair if a beard makes a men then some of my aunts are the manliest men i've ever seen
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: June 26, 2017, 02:26:29 PM
Or something like that.

Given how much experience I have working the doors in bars, I have more experience with idiotic arguing than even the highest honored, internationally ranked idiots out there.  Simply put, I am a much better idiot than one that has worked his whole life at it....

Not sure that is much of a bragging point, but hey, you have to have your fun where you can get it, right?  :D

Or something like that.

(Image removed from quote.)

Absolutely agree.

But then, doing stupid things from time to time is fun, and you end up with lots of cool stories as a result!

ohh we've had em, they just don't get the support they need and want here (thanks to Grant and his minions)

that's funny boss, too bad no matter what you say or even prove he'll never get it... ::) :cheers:

I don't care if he gets it or not- I had my laugh.  His life, and the quality thereof is none of my concern.  :P

to be fair if a beard makes a men then some of my aunts are the manliest men i've ever seen

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #28 on: June 26, 2017, 02:53:34 PM
I guess the phrase is somewhat dated anyway since right now being a man is taking my son to school, making him dinner and then building SAKs every spare second while my wife works full time.

But most of my life I think Id say a man should be self sufficient and be able to fix and build anything.   Thats why carrying tools and being prepared has always been important to me.

BTW all the women Ive ever known hated beards.  I hate facial hair as the itching drives me nuts.  I know some who are opposite though and shaving really bothers their skin.  See we are all different but equally manly.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:54:42 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 26, 2017, 02:57:00 PM
Body hair is going the way of the dodo anyways. Just wait till they come up with some kind of cheap idiot proof genetic therapy kind of thingy...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD