Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Calling all fishermen! Need help!!

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
on: June 26, 2017, 07:47:22 PM
I am re-building my Bass fishing rod arsenal from the ground up. I want to try to cover as many different lures and presentations as I can in as few rods as I can for now and do that on a budget while still getting quality stuff. Impossible I know. So far, I have:

For Finesse (weightless, soft plastics, etc):

Abu Garcia Black Max 6'6" medium power moderate action spinning rod
Matching spinning reel: (4 bearing 5:1:1 gear ratio)

For topwater/spinnerbaits/buzzbaits:

an older Abu Garcia BlueMax 6'6" medium-heavy power fast action casting rod
matching reel (5 bearing 6:4:1 gear ratio[I think])

I also have an old browning stalker gold baitcasting reel that I need to match up to a rod (I think the ration is 6:3:1)

I think I need:

Flipping rod (heavy power fast action casting rod) paired with a fast reel (around 7:3:1 range)
Crankbait rod (medium power moderate action casting rod) paired with a slow reel (around 5:3:1 range)
Secondary all purpose rod: (probably for jigs, dropshots, etc) Medium heavy power fast action rod to match with my browning reel (this one can be slightly lower quality)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about building up my arsenal again and how to do it affordably? Does anyone see any gaps in what I am planning on getting? As you can see I am drawn to Abu Garcia but it is not a must at all. If you have any suggestions of brands or specific rods/reels to try I am more than open. I like buying combos because it makes things cheaper and easier but I know sometimes that doesn't work out. Any input would be highly appreciated  :tu:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:48:27 PM by gdoolittle »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Calling all fishermen! Need help!!
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:17:18 PM
I have never been a very seriously technical fisherman :whistle: So no help from me :facepalm: :D Sounds like a good bit of gear though :like: I am.a much more simple fisherman and wished I was able to make time to fish though :-[ Hope all goes well though buddy and you can get a set together without breaking the bank  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 03:52:57 PM
NKlamerus should be here shortly.   

Where is our Niceville fisherman these days? 

Maybe send him a PM? 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 04:37:01 PM
You are making it so complicated. 
If bass fishing, my go to is a 6'6" Ugly Stick, 6# Stern lane and a hand rigged PURPLE crawler with two hooks and stored in ziplock baggy with Anice soaked cotton balls.

If want to use a float bait, a copper color Rapala works good. 

I have 6' casting rod and Garcia 5500 for Walleye and Northerns, Daredevil red/white and Sinking Rapalas. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 04:53:32 PM
You are making it so complicated
If bass fishing, my go to is a 6'6" Ugly Stick, 6# Stern lane and a hand rigged PURPLE crawler with two hooks and stored in ziplock baggy with Anice soaked cotton balls.

I have 6' casting rod and Garcia 5500 for Walleye and Northerns, Daredevil red/white and Sinking Rapalas. 

:pok: The man is asking how he can "justify" buying more gear and you want him to simplify? 

This is what we do here.  We decide we need a new ( fill in the blank ) then we overthink the crap out of it only to buy everything.  What he seems to be asking is how much of the gear should be bought and we ALL know the answer........
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 05:41:36 PM
You are making it so complicated

:pok: The man is asking how he can "justify" buying more gear and you want him to simplify? 

This is what we do here.  We decide we need a new ( fill in the blank ) then we overthink the crap out of it only to buy everything.  What he seems to be asking is how much of the gear should be bought and we ALL know the answer........
My Bad!!!!
I am so EMBARRASSED !!!. 

My old age is showing through!

It really is simple though.  Two weeks ago, 2 grandsons, 3 poles, half a dozen purple night crawlers, 12' row boat w/oars, rental, late afternoon, return to landing with 6 bass, two large blue gills, 2 happy boys 8 & 9. 

Boat loading onto trailer, maybe 18', electronic temperature, GPS, depth finder, a dozen different rods & reel setups, four or more tackle boxes, trolling motor, 120hp outboard, and two weary fellas.  Been on lake since o500, nothing in fish well!
Catch and Release I ask? One replied, yeh something like that.  The other asked the 9 yr old, where we caught the larger four bass.  His reply, out in the lake, grinning wide with pride.

Cleaned fish, fish fry with fried potatoes, applesauce and boys asleep before 9:00 PM

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 05:44:05 PM
 :rofl:

BTW I am no fisherman at all so my reply was tongue in cheek.

You however do the kind of fishing that even I could enjoy.  Great job and sounds like a delicious finish. 

Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 05:47:09 PM
I've only been see fishing for a short time but  I caught a nice bass last Sunday on ragworm  :tu: I did try some spinning as well but no luck  :-\ beautiful fish with a spikey fin ouch  :rofl:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 05:56:47 PM
I can appreciate and do enjoy the laid back style of fishing very much and most often have just used one spinning rod for everything with what little I can fit in a sling bag. That makes for a relaxing, fun day for sure. That said, I also enjoy fishing more seriously from time to time, just depending on the mood and whether or not I have access to a boat. I hope to build up my rod arsenal over time for that purpose and if I'm lucky enough to afford a little bass boat one day I will outfit it with those rods. Until then they will be useful when I am on a friends boat, etc. not in a hurry to get the rods for sure, because I don't see myself buying a boat in the near future, just want to start upping my skill sets and learning new techniques to become a better fisherman overall, plus, like aloha said, never too much gear.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 06:07:27 PM
Now Loopcutter quick talk to him about boats  :pok:

Kidding. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 06:30:11 PM
Now Loopcutter quick talk to him about boats  :pok:

Kidding.
Fishing Kayak  with car top mount carry.

Room for 1 maybe 2 rods!

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 02:35:55 AM
Now THIS is a good thread :D

OP you ever build larger?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 09:46:03 AM
I caught a nice bass a few weeks back,simple set up ,spinning rod ,large fixed spool reel,ragworm as bait,it was funny as I didn't catch anything for hours and then I cast off the pier but my line got caught on my reel some how,so my line went right in front of me about 2ft  :rofl: and guess what I got a bite straight away but my line was mangled  :-\ so I decided to reel it in and luckily my line snapped but still wound around the spool  :tu: so I still landed it ,it wasn't big but was surprised I even landed it  :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:47:49 AM by Zed »

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #13 on: August 13, 2017, 03:09:46 AM
You got it ashore, not pretty, but still landed it.  Good job.   Pictures?  I forgot yhat part too, but grandson does good job backing me up, making fish even larger most times... :facepalm:

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #14 on: August 13, 2017, 04:19:57 AM
I fish a lot and live on the lake.  Best setup is an ugly stick and some Yamasenko worms.  Anything else is just extra money spent.  Sure lures are nice but they are not always guaranteed a catch.  Some people swear by Hula Poppers others by rapala floating minnows, everything works. A hook, worm, and bobber work extremely well in most cases also.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:14:56 AM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline Pacu

Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 04:37:19 AM
I run a calcutta on an all star rod.
I always have a cheapo but reliable backup to keep fishing when I backlash , usually an ugly stick spinner rod with a shimano spinning reel.
 :facepalm:  boy, can I backlash a baitcaster.
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 11:26:10 AM
You got it ashore, not pretty, but still landed it.  Good job.   Pictures?  I forgot yhat part too, but grandson does good job backing me up, making fish even larger most times... :facepalm:

No pics but my girls will back me up and say it was a 10lb bass  ;)   :whistle:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 04:29:51 PM
I love my Ugly Sticks, but my favorite for live crawlers is a fiberglass 6'6" spinning rod I purchased for $12.50 back when 12 yo, some 51 years ago in Kalamazoo, where Shakespeare was headquartered. 
Uglies do work great with artificial lures. 

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Awesom-0

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 06:32:45 AM
I run a calcutta on an all star rod.
I always have a cheapo but reliable backup to keep fishing when I backlash , usually an ugly stick spinner rod with a shimano spinning reel.
 :facepalm:  boy, can I backlash a baitcaster.

Seconded on the all star rod. If you have a Academy nearby check them out. Much cheaper than they used to be.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 11:47:07 AM
I love my Ugly Sticks, but my favorite for live crawlers is a fiberglass 6'6" spinning rod I purchased for $12.50 back when 12 yo, some 51 years ago in Kalamazoo, where Shakespeare was headquartered. 
Uglies do work great with artificial lures. 

My youngest favourite reel is a old Shakespeare combined with a old glass milbro spinning rod grom the 60's  :tu:
2017-06-21 13.11.48.jpg
* 2017-06-21 13.11.48.jpg (Filesize: 379.99 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 11:54:48 AM
I like some of Shakespeares stuff, like Romeo and Juliet.  :)

Oh wait, I have not idea what you guys are talking about, because of the jargon.  :rofl:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 01:38:10 PM
I like some of Shakespeares stuff, like Romeo and Juliet.  :)

Oh wait, I have not idea what you guys are talking about, because of the jargon.  :rofl:

:rofl: who art vowe, like what does that even mean  :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD