Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

DIY skeletonizing?

Offline zapikank86

DIY skeletonizing?
on: June 27, 2017, 08:31:00 PM
Just wondering if any of you have thought about or done any DIY skeletonizing. I have a drill press and was wondering how feasible it would be if I drilled a bunch of holes in the side of a leatherman for some weight savings.

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Re: DIY skeletonizing?
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 12:52:31 AM
Just wondering if any of you have thought about or done any DIY skeletonizing. I have a drill press and was wondering how feasible it would be if I drilled a bunch of holes in the side of a leatherman for some weight savings.

I think Obi1shinobe did something like this and added a 1/4" hex hole to one handle. Not exactly the same and I don't think he posted anything about how he did it but it would be a proof that some parts can be removed without making the tool unusable.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 01:22:14 AM
I think the weight loss would be minimal but it might look cool if done right.   :tu:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:39:01 AM
Weight being a key factor for multi-tools a big manufacturer like Leatherman has most likely spent quite a bit of time on reducing it where possible already. I think it is fair to assume that the thickness of the metal in question have been chosen carefully during the design to cater for normal use and abuse. Thus chances are that there aren't all that much to go on with regards to the normally required stiffness and strength. If you can accept a weakened tool, especially when twisting, then that is fine of course.

That said normal plier scenarios are somewhat less about twisting, and more about pushing the handles together. The sides have likely been kept whole due to design/ look considerations (over likely minor weight savings) so there might be an opening for some holes.

Round openings are less likely to create stresspoints, and you want to have them roughly along the middle but somewhat closer to the side where the handle is folded over and has more metal. (I guess your drill press will make almost round holes anyway :) )

You might want to take it gradually by starting with small holes and increasing if it still feels sturdy. (Just in case you don't know: Most normal stainless steels will work harden very quickly; thus for drilling make sure the drill bites into the metal for every turn. If it ends up grinding instead you'll quickly have a very hard surface to argue with. (Ie. use slow speed and high pressure).

Oh, and in case this should turn out horribly then I've never said this, and I take no responsibilty for what I haven't said.  :D

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 02:50:14 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%