Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Hardly a Zombie Apocalypse shelter, but it'll do....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Megan and I have been looking for a camper for a while now, but there are a number of difficulties with that.  The first is, my Jeep will only tow 3500lbs, then there's the lack of place to store it, the tight budget with me being an unemployed/unemployable bum and needing something sizeable because we have two dogs, one of whom is quite large and is getting older and grumpier by the day.

We'd sort of decided on a folding tent trailer because it seemed to solve most of the problems, except the space issue.  There's little resale on any camper, and even less so on most tent trailers so we figured we could get one cheap.  The problem was that Megan's dog is kind of hyper and about as bright as a 2 watt bulb, so we were concerned about him going through the canvas.

Then, Megan found this trailer called an Apache, and it seemed like the answer to the dog issue as well- instead of a canvas tent it has folding ABS plastic panels that makes it just like a standard hard sided trailer once set up.  And, since they haven't been made in 40 years, they could be found cheap.... sort of.

They have become quite collectible over the years and in good shape will sell for a similar price to what they went for new- about $3,000.  We managed to find a few that were abandoned in mid-renovation for just under $1,000, but we didn't manage to get any of them.  We did come across one that was in decent shape but dirty for $500, so we jumped on it- or rather Megan did while I was out of town!

She got the Apache Ramada model, which is the largest one they produced, and it is a 1976 model.  It is listed as being able to sleep 8- two each on the bed ends (folded out parts), two more on the pull out couch and two more on the dinette when it's folded down.  That's pretty major for a small trailer like this, and, while it would be a bit cramped, it doesn't actually seem as bad as you'd expect. 

As I said, it is large for a small trailer- the box alone is something like 7 feet wide and 12 feet long, and folded out the trailer hits around 20 feet.  And, it only weighs 1800lbs, so no worries on the weight of it.

We picked it up late last week and spent some time cleaning it on the weekend- it will need a lot of cleaning and a little work, but for the price we paid, we are very happy with it.  We'll make some custom changes so that it suits us, but I have no doubt that once clean we could probably get 2-3 times our money back on it, but we'll keep and use it for the next couple of years or so and sell it when we are ready to upgrade.  I have no doubt we'll get a lot more for it then.

Still, it's over 40 so it's far from perfect, but it will work well enough for us.  The previous owner pulled the wiring out, which is fine with me as I wouldn't trust 40 year old trailer wiring anyway.  I'll eventually rewire the whole thing, and until then we'll charge any devices in the Jeep and use one of my two lanterns.  The previous owner also pulled out the furnace, stove and sink, but I have lots of stoves so there's no problem there.  We can either use a portable propane heater or just not go camping when it's cold, and as for a sink, well, the original worked with a hand pump anyway, so I feel like I can do better than that when/if we decide to put one back in.  Meanwhile we'll just use a water jug like we have been doing all along.

Hopefully this will help us manage to get out a bit more!

Def
Closed.jpg
* Closed.jpg (Filesize: 54.93 KB)
Inside Dining.jpg
* Inside Dining.jpg (Filesize: 34.18 KB)
Inside Kitchen.jpg
* Inside Kitchen.jpg (Filesize: 55.25 KB)
Open.jpg
* Open.jpg (Filesize: 46.73 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline JP

Re: Hardly a Zombie Apocalypse shelter, but it'll do....
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 01:40:15 AM
That looks like a great time!! Dirty is an easy fix!

How is Megan going to evict that hobo in the bottom pic?

😋

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 01:46:22 AM
Very nice, the nice thing of those is that you don't lose out on the tent part of hearing the outdoors, yet your more camper, and on top of that soo much easier to tow since the top goes down and you can see.. I've had a few vacations in one, an older, more for just sleeping and table, the other stuff we pulled out and made room for storage of the other camping gear.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:01:36 AM
Splendid!  :D lots of fun could be had with that  :tu:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 02:16:17 AM
Damn looks good for what you paid.

I kind of feel like a sucker since I bought a new one last year, but our CRV could only pull 2000 lbs and nothing on the used market was that light.  I was in about 8k on that but it is pretty fun to have it and although we go maybe 5 times over the summer, which is why I could have probably just made due with tents and gear but oh well.

Its got the heater, fridge and stove and all that which is cool, but honestly now that Ive done the camp this way thing Im much more into DIYing a motorhome.  I hate pulling the trailer on the highway and setup time although only about an hour im drenched in sweat and bitchy afterwards.  :D

I follow these guys on youtube that buy used cargo vans (the big panel van fords and dodges) and convert them to a camper van.  Bed, fridge, lighting, solar on the roof to run everything... Drive where you want to go and no setup time.  Setup and conversion would be about 5k + whatever the cost of the van is, but damn it would be so convenient for a road trip and visiting inlaws so you dont have to sleep on the dog sofa guest bed.

The ones shown off below are good examples I think of what can be done in a small space.  And so many cool things to modify and build, its right up my alley.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 02:39:16 AM
Keep us up to date on it :tu:
I'll be :watching: you lol..  :D
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 07:52:23 AM
Pretty awesome.  Congrats. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 08:53:25 AM
Congrats. A few modifications with barbed wire and chain saws would make it zombie ready
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 09:43:37 AM
Never seen anyone like that. Only with the canvas sides.. Boy do I want one!

It's not failure if you learn something from it

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 10:13:57 AM
That looks the business! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

:cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 11:20:09 AM
Love it,im sure your both have many adventures in it  :salute:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 12:47:52 PM
Have considered buying one of those too, but couldn't find one affordable.

Except for that one that was stored in the middle of a forrest 20 years ago and it was barely visible because of the growing bushes around it...
Would be quite an ordeal to get it out of there in 1 piece.

So eventualy I was given my parent's roof tent and put that one on a home-built trailer...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:51:19 PM by Mechanickal »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 03:31:18 PM
That's awesome Grant, looks just the part.  How long does it take to fully set-up?

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 03:34:12 PM
Have considered buying one of those too, but couldn't find one affordable.

Except for that one that was stored in the middle of a forrest 20 years ago and it was barely visible because of the growing bushes around it...
Would be quite an ordeal to get it out of there in 1 piece.

So eventualy I was given my parent's roof tent and put that one on a home-built trailer...
(Image removed from quote.)

That's a very neat and nifty thing as well.  :tu:

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 03:43:48 PM
That looks like a sweet setup !

Make sure you check the wheel bearings, my brother learned the hard way on his old trailer    :facepalm:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 03:52:45 PM
Also; have you tested it in the rain yet? :D

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 04:47:06 PM
Also; have you tested it in the rain yet? :D
It's going for 5 years in this setup.
The roof tent is made to withstand the worst of weather.
The trailer has got hydraulic rods so I can tilt it open when the tent is closed.
Between the lid and the trailer itself  and on the front and backside hatches we mounted rubber sealing strips which worked perfectly so far.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 04:48:24 PM

Make sure you check the wheel bearings, my brother learned the hard way on his old trailer    :facepalm:
It was completely disassambled, cut to size and reassembled so there isn't a square inch that hasn't been checked :D
Thanks for the tip anyway.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 09:16:46 PM
The setup time isn't bad- with a little practice I imagine it would take me maybe 15-20 minutes but I've only put it up once so far, and that was my first try with no instruction and just remembering a YouTube video on it.

Mechanickal- that is a really cool little trailer too!  If I didn't have a large, grumpy dog and a smaller, but still large and annoying dog I'd have totally gone for something like that!

Bob- I spend a lot of time looking at motorhomes.  I have also been looking at buses to do a conversion.  If you want to see some really cool stuff, check out YouTube videos of the double decker bus conversions! :ahhh

Not cheap but you don't need a house with a setup like that!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 09:32:36 PM
I've seen the bus ones but those would be way out of my budget.  Also I couldnt afford the gas to drive far. But ya those are awesome!

I told my wife to not be surprised if a used van ends up in out driveway if I see a deal.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 10:28:45 PM
Well, forgot to include that there is also an attachable tent which houses a kitchen, a table and at least 2 chairs + a clothing cabinet.
All collapsible and stored inside the trailer.

So room for dogs? Check!
Not hyperdog resistant though... :fugly:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 10:41:02 PM
I've seen the bus ones but those would be way out of my budget.  Also I couldnt afford the gas to drive far. But ya those are awesome!

I told my wife to not be surprised if a used van ends up in out driveway if I see a deal.

I have been thinking a C Class motorhome would be ideal, and it's something I could use for work rather than spend almost a thousand dollars on a hotel on each job!   :ahhh

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 11:13:09 PM

I have been thinking a C Class motorhome would be ideal, and it's something I could use for work rather than spend almost a thousand dollars on a hotel on each job!   :ahhh

Def

I have no idea the cost of a motorhome, but they would be awesome to have.  Ive always wanted one for annoying drives so I could just switch to my wife driving and I go nap while traffic is annoying.  Hard to do that pulling our tent trailer.  :D 

The idea of building the van camper just really appeals to me so I can put what I want it in.  2kW solar panels and those big smurf lithium storage batteries will run a 12v fridge fine and have lots left over for charging gadgets etc and running fans etc.   

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #23 on: June 28, 2017, 11:24:13 PM
Ok here one built on a Ram 350 chassis for $11k.  Class B, but I dont know much about these.

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Pleasure-Way/ram+350/GEORGETOWN/Ontario/19_10157310_/?ms=rv&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=7_15_13

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: June 28, 2017, 11:39:43 PM

It was completely disassambled, cut to size and reassembled so there isn't a square inch that hasn't been checked :D
Thanks for the tip anyway.

This comment was for Grant but you are welcome   ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 12:14:03 AM
We are leaving tomorrow morning to visit Megan's family in NB for a few days and we thought about taking the trailer, but as I haven't swapped the bearings in it yet (one of the top priorities on my To Do List) we decided it wasn't worth risking the twelve hour drive to do.  The wheels and tires on this are super tiny- in fact, it's only a ten inch rim.  Wheels that small have to turn very fast to keep up at 65mph, so yeah, bearings are definitely a priority!   :ahhh

Bob- a Class B is nice but I like to stretch out, I have big dogs and I don't want to be cramped, so it's not for me.

I am mostly interested in a Class C, but I'd also take the right Class A.  I have seen some nice older Airstreams and a few old 70's GMC motorhomes I would love to have.  Something like this would do me nicely:

It looks like I have to find a pre-2000 model though, as almost all of them produced after 2000 had slides or tip outs, and I really don't want the hassle of one of those.

Def

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 12:19:32 AM
Good score!
I am mostly interested in a Class C, but I'd also take the right Class A.  I have seen some nice older Airstreams and a few old 70's GMC motorhomes I would love to have.  Something like this would do me nicely:

It looks like I have to find a pre-2000 model though, as almost all of them produced after 2000 had slides or tip outs, and I really don't want the hassle of one of those.

So something like this?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 12:33:38 AM
Yeah, I'd take that in a heartbeat!   :drool:

Def

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 01:39:23 AM

Ok that thing looks super cool... Do you need an upgraded license to drive one?   Its the size of a small bus!

Good score!

So something like this?

That show looks like something I would have watched as a kid.  Never heard of it, so I'll check it out.   I recently rewatched some bad Sci Fi from my childhood called starlost.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 01:50:05 AM
Nope- no special license unless you go really big and get air brakes.  Then you need an air brake endorsement, which I think is a Z license here in Ontario?

This is a small one at about 26 feet- you can get the big ones up to 45 feet long, and you can drive them with a standard license too- again, assuming they don't have air brakes.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%