Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Photobucket

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Photobucket
Reply #90 on: July 05, 2017, 10:08:46 PM
Just a thought. Maybe the mods can remove temporarily the time limit on editing your old posts?

That's a good idea  :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #91 on: July 05, 2017, 10:53:07 PM
Or we just buy Photobucket.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #92 on: July 08, 2017, 12:30:12 AM
 Well.. can use facebook to host photos (for now). Not that I want the world to know that I have other interests past what their feeble minds can handle.  >:D
 Added the signature photo to facebook and using it for now, since Google Photos doesn't offer a direct link.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: July 08, 2017, 03:39:36 AM
It's hard to complain too much - They were offering a free service, and y'all were all enjoying it.

Y'all welcome to continue paying nothing, and get nothing in return ;)

So...

What would it cost to get enough....uhh....magic cloud space? For MTO to host all its own photos?

(Presumably less than $399 per member per year....)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 03:42:05 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline aluminated

Reply #94 on: July 08, 2017, 05:43:27 AM
There is a bit of ignorance of the whole story here. Leaving aside the issue of whether viewing the extremely obtrusive ads is in itself paying something, there are plenty of users who were paying a good amount - say $60 per year or so - for various packages. The issue is that even going from that to what I understand is the lowest-priced (and only) plan that allows third-party linking at about $400 per year is an exorbitant increase. It's a bad business decision, and one that will likely end the ability for anyone - paying or not - to use the service because I do not believe it can survive as currently structured. The optic is equally bad. A company demonstrating that they will charge whatever they want because they can is about as well-received as an individual telling an entire group of people that they got what they deserved, whether it is true or not.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #95 on: July 08, 2017, 06:02:13 AM
The issue is that even going from that to what I understand is the lowest-priced (and only) plan that allows third-party linking at about $400 per year is an exorbitant increase.

Bingo.

They want to take a free service and charge for it, ok, I'm cool with that. But what I would expect is (a) a little warning (15 days acceptable, 30 good) and (b) reasonable pricing. I can get a domain and full on web hosting for less than that. They are stupid greedy with that pricing and it will end them. Sucks to be them.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Reply #96 on: July 08, 2017, 07:24:38 AM
 $400 was stupid. And I agree the free ride was good. Ad Blocking in Firefox is good cause I'm on a limited bandwidth that fluctuates - can't even run a voice program cause it sucks so bad. So they wanted to charge people who used ad blockers, and there was even more carp and permissions needed to run all that data mining scripting just to do anything. Took me upwards of 10+ minutes to log into PB and get anywhere to upload or use a link - then the auto-linking died and I refuse to run any more ad-based snooping scripts.
 Was considering doing the $3/month thing then seen in a forum with these stupid www.photobucket.com/P500 ads and I thought wtf happened to my pictures? Was using the smartphone and figured perhaps was just the Firefox browser. Went to that URL via Firefox Focus and it was saying I was using 3rd party tools...

Looked at their pricing and NFW am I paying $400 a year. Rather buy hosting service and go that route. Don't think I even used more than 8GB of data. Kept files neat and trimmed before uploading. Will find something else or do without. And I won't burden forums to host photos cause that will, in time, cause a mess for them.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:27:06 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #97 on: July 08, 2017, 09:47:56 PM
This seems to work to get a url that works to the PB image held hostage.

https://fixphotobucket.com/

You still have to edit your post though to update url, but you dont have to upload the pic somewhere else.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #98 on: July 08, 2017, 11:05:39 PM
This seems to work to get a url that works to the PB image held hostage.

https://fixphotobucket.com/

You still have to edit your post though to update url, but you dont have to upload the pic somewhere else.

Not working for me ?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: July 09, 2017, 03:37:12 AM
There is a bit of ignorance of the whole story here. Leaving aside the issue of whether viewing the extremely obtrusive ads is in itself paying something, there are plenty of users who were paying a good amount - say $60 per year or so - for various packages. The issue is that even going from that to what I understand is the lowest-priced (and only) plan that allows third-party linking at about $400 per year is an exorbitant increase. It's a bad business decision, and one that will likely end the ability for anyone - paying or not - to use the service because I do not believe it can survive as currently structured. The optic is equally bad. A company demonstrating that they will charge whatever they want because they can is about as well-received as an individual telling an entire group of people that they got what they deserved, whether it is true or not.

What someone deserves isn't my job, I'd look terrible in one of those wooly white wigs anyway, and I can certainly understand someone's frustration with paying for a service, and having that service change without warning to something else -
but that's all in the small print when you sign up for a service, hence why I reassess all of my financial agreements annually to ensure the various organisations I do business with are acting to my benefit --

When they stop being such, I vote with my wallet, and go elsewhere.

I am recommending everyone do the same - And, if in the event the main reason you use photobucket is for MT.O - then perhaps the money you save by NOT using photobucket can go to MT.O and they can spend it on hosting for your images :)

If all you lose is a few pictures and holiday snaps - It's a cheap lesson in the evils of...pretty much every business ever.

If you've lost more, ie you were using PB for business purposes etc - Then it's a more expensive lesson, and now you'll know to keep hard drives (or even hard copies) for your images in the future.

Look out for yourself, no one else will.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #100 on: July 09, 2017, 01:00:31 PM
seriously, does anybody  actually keep his/her photographs just on photobucket? 8TB disks are  a couple of hundred euros or less,,,

even in that  extreme scenario, ofcourse, the photographs can still be accessed by login into photobucket 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #101 on: July 09, 2017, 06:23:48 PM
This is a real bummer. So many great threads are ruined now. Reviews and product tests. I am highly annoyed by Photobucket for this. They already had very obnoxious ads that almost killed it for me. Then the mobile site was not user friendly, at all. Now, $400 a month? Not going to happen.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

il Offline israelpiper

Reply #102 on: July 15, 2017, 10:55:41 AM
So the big challenge is that now we must develop a descriptive language that brings up vivid imagery in full detail and living colour.

Sir Walter Scott, Edgar Allan Poe,  Fydor Dostiovsky,  Dante, Hemingway, etc. managed to paint with words.

Can we paint the graphic details, step by step, of modifying a Victorinox Classic SD by adding Swisstool saw? :rofl:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #103 on: July 15, 2017, 12:29:50 PM
So the big challenge is that now we must develop a descriptive language that brings up vivid imagery in full detail and living colour.

Sir Walter Scott, Edgar Allan Poe,  Fydor Dostiovsky,  Dante, Hemingway, etc. managed to paint with words.

Can we paint the graphic details, step by step, of modifying a Victorinox Classic SD by adding Swisstool saw? :rofl:
Step one... Grind the saw down to the size of a toothpick... :P
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: July 16, 2017, 11:16:24 PM
Wow. I leave for a while and come back and most pictures are broken links. I understand now why. I've never used Photobucket but it's obvious it's popular. I've only uploaded photos in the forum directly or through Tapatalk. Which brings up my question: is uploading through Tapatalk the same as Photobucket? I'm not a software engineer so I'm not sure what technically happens when uploading through Tapatalk.
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #105 on: July 17, 2017, 02:11:07 AM
I've never used Photobucket but it's obvious it's popular.
Not any more!  :rofl:

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #106 on: July 18, 2017, 01:58:06 AM
It seems my ad free account is allowing my photos to show, and I can still renew it at $15 a year. I wonder if it'll be worth it, consider given the current situation they may go belly up anytime soon.

Reply #107 on: July 18, 2017, 04:51:55 AM
 I can side with PB to a point. If businesses were making a profit from them hosting photos on 3rd Party Sites and not getting a kick-back from those businesses, they yeah, they should of went for those that had businesses, then charged the casual users a much lower fee unless they were using the account as a business. Seems PB can, although seemed to take a while, track what photos go where.

Sort of like here when people were selling tools, or advertising on MTo and not giving a kick-back nor even contacting the admins before doing such.

But $400 across the board?!? :ahhh That's going to sink them for sure unless enough businesses pony up and start bailing them out ...or it's Davey's Locker for Photobucket!
¬ Outback in Idaho

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #108 on: July 18, 2017, 05:57:47 AM
Well the ONLY reason I use Photo*ucket is to post pictures on this forum. If not for that I wouldn't have an account with them. I am exposed to all their ads in return so I don't feel like I was getting something for nothing.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #109 on: July 18, 2017, 06:42:43 AM
I'm with Syncop here, they make their money through the adds they run on their site, that's OK, that's the deal, I use their site and they make their money from my 'traffic'  :salute:
They changed the deal and ruined millions of posts across the entire internet

Every time I think of them I actually hate them for all the threads they have ruined here!

:twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #110 on: July 19, 2017, 12:36:08 AM
What if photobucket offered a subscription based on which third party site was being linked to? Like put multitool.org on a whitelist to view all photos, rather than individuals having to pay for just their photos?

imgur has a fairly strong internal user base, which IMO makes them a more "future proof" site than flckr, since they have more eyes on their site to view ads.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #111 on: July 20, 2017, 02:34:22 AM
I just noticed that Evil's pics are affected...  :ahhh

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #112 on: July 20, 2017, 03:31:30 AM

I just noticed that Evil's pics are affected...  :ahhh
:o

That is really a true loss to the forum. His stuff was absolutely incredible in terms of craftsmanship and ingenuity.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

hr Offline styx

Reply #113 on: July 20, 2017, 08:51:54 AM
They have really gone overboard. All of you know how often I post pics, I had about 1% of storage used and a few days ago, I got that notification that I need to upgrade because all of my bandwidth has been used up. So someone is mucking up their bandwidth usage readouts. Well I took my pics, called them a bunch of devious smurfs and killed my profile
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

Reply #114 on: July 20, 2017, 09:18:30 AM
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:19:42 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #115 on: July 20, 2017, 11:36:59 AM
  Kudos to the team! :drink: This board truncates those 7 liner URLs quite nicely. :D
I implemented this on purpose as those epically long lines break formatting on the theme causing horizontal scroll bars for even those of us on really high resolution screens... and nobody wants that...
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #116 on: August 08, 2017, 11:36:24 AM
I've been without internet for a week and a bit and I come back to this.

It REALLY pisses me off as MTO was the reason I even got a Phartbucket membership/profile/thingy.

Now all my threads about modding and other cool shit are fuxxored.

I put quite a bit of time into some of those, especially the How-To's.

Well I'm not going to be held to ransom. I'll be downloading and deleting my library and leaving one single pic of me giving them the finger. Asshats

I had moved away from them to Flickr a while back because PB was always such a PITA to use. But I can't face going back and trying to repair my threads.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #117 on: August 08, 2017, 03:44:39 PM

It REALLY pisses me off as MTO was the reason I even got a Phartbucket membership/profile/thingy.

Well I'm not going to be held to ransom. I'll be downloading and deleting my library and leaving one single pic of me giving them the finger. Asshats

I had moved away from them to Flickr a while back because PB was always such a PITA to use. But I can't face going back and trying to repair my threads.

I know the feeling mate  ::).

Is there a simple way to copy or download my photobucket library to my pc, or even better, another site like Flickr or Imgur ?   Or can it only be copied one pic at a time ...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #118 on: August 08, 2017, 03:54:21 PM

Is there a simple way to copy or download my photobucket library to my pc, or even better, another site like Flickr or Imgur ?   Or can it only be copied one pic at a time ...
Seriously buddy?
They smurfed you all and you expect them to just download all your pics in just a few clicks?

One at a time, continuing their absolute douchebagism.

Go Photogate!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #119 on: August 08, 2017, 05:51:14 PM

Seriously buddy?
They smurfed you all and you expect them to just download all your pics in just a few clicks?

One at a time, continuing their absolute douchebagism.

Go Photogate!

You can download your pics by album,SmurfBucket zips your pics up and you can then download the zipped album as a whole.

Still :twak: SmurfBucket!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:55:33 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99