Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Now I Understand! It all makes sense now!

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Re: Now I Understand! It all makes sense now!
Reply #30 on: May 16, 2019, 06:48:26 PM
 :nothingtoadd:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: May 16, 2019, 06:50:31 PM
I dont carry Gerber tools.  The one I did carry was the Shard but it was left at a job.  I have a couple polished big scissors older ones.  They are purely for the collection.  I had a couple other Gerbers but I moved them on.  I just prefer LM however my Spirit is on my belt for work every time I head out. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #32 on: May 16, 2019, 08:16:17 PM
INTERESTING.
Will be watching.
:cheers:
I'm pretty excited.  :woohoo:
Though, unfortunately, USPS has my package marked as "arriving late". :rant:

:bud:
:nothingtoadd:
:rofl:

I dont carry Gerber tools.  The one I did carry was the Shard but it was left at a job.  I have a couple polished big scissors older ones.  They are purely for the collection.  I had a couple other Gerbers but I moved them on.  I just prefer LM however my Spirit is on my belt for work every time I head out. 
Love the OG MPs. Dangerous tools(versions 1 & 2 had handles even closer than the more common versions 3 & 4. Then the version 5 fixed the tight closure), but quite amazing in design and execution. :like:

I would have to say, overall, the SwissTool is superior to the MP600. But, that said, the MP600 is more reliable due to the lower tolerances(low maintenance tool), and cheaper by a long shot. I'm so glad I do not have to pick just one or two tools. Some days I want to carry a precision tool, and other days it is something like an MP600, etc. And everyday I carry a little of each..haha
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: May 16, 2019, 08:31:44 PM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I felt it is relevant for what is coming. :)

Later today I am expecting one of the latest versions of a SwissTool X. One with the cutters reversed, SS precision cut file and fatter pliers heads. I am quite excited about it and still thank Douglas for his original gift of the OG SwissTool(1998 version), that added Vic as a brand I keep in the ever-growing MT collection. I have since bought an OG SwissTool RS as well. Both are fantastic tools. I have also acquired two Spirits and like them a lot, but just find the bigger SwissTool to be my favorite of the two models. Likely, because I prefer thicker tools for gripping comfort.

Since I made this thread, my opinions have changed, some better and some worse. However, I still like Vic's pliers-based MTs quite a lot(some assume my criticisms of the SwissTools to be born oit of fandom for other brands, but that isn't realy the case). Not my absolute favorite, but the SwissTool is in the top five of my favorites. I have my little subjective issues, so may be this thread could be proof that I have never been a SwissTool denier, and generally have the highest feelings about tools I haven't used yet. Since using both the SwissTool and Spirit, my views have altered and it has made it easier for me to objectively look at the tools themselves.

:cheers:
Here's hoping the modern SwissTool X is a winner.

My old pug passed last year, but we'll see if our new fur baby approves of another SwissTool. :)

The same has been said about me and Leatherman Tools ...  ;)

In the end the best tool is still the one you have on you in a time of need, and most of the modern Multitools will get the job done anyway, and they all have their pros and cons.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: May 16, 2019, 10:39:00 PM
The same has been said about me and Leatherman Tools ...  ;)

In the end the best tool is still the one you have on you in a time of need, and most of the modern Multitools will get the job done anyway, and they all have their pros and cons.
Sorry about all of the typos. Hadn't realized it until now. That's what I get posting after bedtime medication. :rofl:  :facepalm:

Very true about pros and cons. But, as yoi say, most modern tools will do the job. :)

The OG SwissTool is still one of my favorites, and it is quite an old design. Vic just did a jam up job with the SwissTool when they designed it, and a testament to how good it is shows from the fact we still use it to judge new tools. :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #35 on: May 17, 2019, 02:16:27 AM
Maybe change your name to "Vic Gerleatherberman" quite a mouthful but nobody would assume you don't like em

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: May 17, 2019, 02:44:25 AM
Maybe change your name to "Vic Gerleatherberman" quite a mouthful but nobody would assume you don't like em
:rofl:
Good one, Blackbeard! :like:

Then we'd need to add SOG in there somewhere. :ahhh

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: May 18, 2019, 04:27:07 AM
It's in. And, can anyone say "handle splay".  :ahhh

Still messing with the new SwissTool, but early feelings are mixed. Some good stuff and some not-so-good stuff(relative to the older SwissTools).

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #38 on: May 18, 2019, 06:22:09 AM
After some consideration, the pliers splay isn't a big deal overall, since 95%+ of my pliers usage is smaller stuff. But, what does get me is how narrow the jaws open compared to the older style pliers. I understand that the beefed up jaw parts make the jaw width more narrow, but I am a bit perplexed that Victorinox actually did that. They usually maintain the level of function throughout the tool's run, and once in a while they improve certain functions. :think:
The larger cutter section is a welcomed sight, and the reversed cutter sides theoretically improve the removal of tough bolts and such. Compounded by the more narrow opening, beefed up jaw parts, and the type of steel they use(a bit softer, but less likely to ever break off); I don't think anyone could break the pliers on the newer SwissTool(without putting the handles in a vise or something). The handle stops would likely fail before the jaws. I would bet the newer SwissTool has the hardest to break pliers setup(head and handles design) of any multitool out there. Quite confidence inspiring. :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:34:30 AM by gerleatherberman »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: May 18, 2019, 08:26:22 AM
I've got a bunch of photos, but will post them tomorrow. The newer SwissTool, overall, is great. But, that said, I'll elaborate my subjective opinions with the photos. :ahhh

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: May 18, 2019, 08:38:43 AM
 :dd: still...
 :popcorn:
INTERESTING.
Will be watching.

"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #41 on: May 19, 2019, 11:13:11 AM
Alright. These conclusions are purely subjective, so get the salt shaker ready.  :D

Newest version of SwissTool vs. OG SwissTool and OG RS.

Appearance:
I like the stamped "Victorinox" on each handle, so both sides of the tool have a stamp. The red stripe was cool, but looks a bit ugly to me when it is worn(as I said, subjective, because some people like a worn-looking tool).
Pliers head does not have any engraving on the newest SwissTool, but it has a nice beefy look that I find very very attractive. Pliers heads are equally nice looking to me in the grind polish, with somewhat smooth bare-cast areas.
*Shown with a Spirit on each side of the group of the three SwissTools for visual reference.*

Handle Splay and pliers function:
The newer SwissTool has 0.35" more handle splay at the handle ends. My hands are relatively mid-large and I find the new SwissTool to still be comfortable to use. People with medium and smallish hands may find the additional splay to be detrimental to comfort relative to the OG SwissTool.
OG SwissTool's pliers head opens up to 1.47" at the very tips. The newer SwissTool's pliers open to 1.15". The reduction in width is VERY significant, as the OG SwissTool already falls behind competition in the size objects that can be gripped. There is 0.15" less space in the newer SwissTool's bolt-section as well. The OG SwissTool has 0.20" cutter section length, which was one of the smallest cutter sections at the time. The newer SwissTool has 0.25" length in the cutter section, which is much more useful than the numbers would suggest. The newer SwissTool cutters are quite nice and has the same double-notch configuration as the Spirit.
The newer SwissTool pliers head is much beefier and has the pliers halves "reversed"(compared to the OG SwissTool and most other brands). The configuration allows for massive strength when twisting out bolts and such. Not that the OG SwissTool pliers are weak, it is just the newer SwissTool pliers are even stronger. Compound the beefier jaws, reversed halves, and narrower opening; the newer SwissTool pliers are probably more reliable.

Tool differences:

Big Flat Driver/prying tool = Unchanged and still one of the best implements on an MT out there.

File/metal saw(please ignore the middle SwissTool in this image, since it is an RS) = Old file is a good file, but it is not very aggressive, will spot up if not oiled, and can clog more easily than the newer Vic files. The newer SwissTool file/metal saw is very aggressive and fantastically made, as well as being stainless(like the Spirit file - matches the rest of the tool).

Scissors = Unchanged and still some of the best scissors on a pliers-based MT.

Phillips driver = Unchanged and functions quite well. Steel is a tiny bit on the soft side compared to some competitors, but should be fine if you don't slip out of the screw to much.

Small Flat Driver = Nearly identical and functions fine.

Awl = The OG fluted awl is my favorite, but that wasn't on the SwissTool for long. The standard SwissTool awl is the same as some of the older ones. That said, I'd love to see the original fluted awl on the new SwissTool, since it is like the awesome awl on the 91mm SAKs.

Plain edge blade = Unchanged and still a good shape for general purpose use. Very sharp and easy to sharpen.

Can Opener = Basically unchanged and still one of the best can openers out there.

Chisel/Stripper tool = Basically unchanged and a highly useful tool, when you can remember it is there:D

Wood saw = Nearly unchanged, but the newer SwissTool saw isn't finished as well as the older ones. The teeth have small burrs on them from the factory. Now, that said, those burrs would likely be gone after a few good uses.

Bottle Opener/medium flat driver/wire bender = Nearly identical(grind lengths are slightly different) and still a great implement.

Cork Screw attachment area = My OG 98' SwissTool doesn't have the corkscrew attachment, but my OG RS does. The older corkscrew attachment area is identical to the newer SwissTool's attachment area.

Last, but not least:
Fit & Finish = Nearly identical overall and respectably consistent after 20 years(my 98' SwissTool to 2018 SwissTool X). The updated pliers head is configured differently and changes the tool's action when opening. The opening is easier to deploy and fold-up, but is not quite as "smooth" or "slick". That is the compromise, but I like the newer SwissTool pliers deployment a little better for actual use, since I can open them one-handed much more easily by putting my thumb between the handles and opening against my leg. Closure with one hand is easier as well. The right-angle square feature still works just fine on all of them.
The implements are a bit easier to extract in the newer SwissTool, which is a welcomed feature since the older SwissTools can rip nails off when they get dirty and/or need oiling. Spring retention is still good enough to function properly.

O.K. Thanks for reading, y'all! Sorry if I missed anything and I apologize for any typos or errors! I know this subject has been covered before, but the proof is in the pudding for me personally. And seeing the SwissTools side-by-side(in person) has been very telling, which has let me maintain that the SwissTool is still an amazing multi-tool, even though the pliers opening and handle splay are a step backwards. This thread is not a comparison between the SwissTool and any other brand. It is merely to shed light on my experience with the older and newer SwissTools. The Spirit seems to catch a lot of Vic's limelight, but I feel the SwissTool is slightly superior to the Spirit for people who really depend on their Vic pliers-based tool. As mentioned, this is all subjective and everyone sees things differently, whether small differences or big differences. It keeps things interesting.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #42 on: May 19, 2019, 12:20:20 PM
Great write-up gerleatherberman  :tu:.

I'm glad you like the "new" Swisstool, and I agree on the "negative" points, like the pliers opening less wide (handle splay isn't really a problem for me, but I've got quite large hands so ...) and the soft Phillips driver.  This last one being number one on my list of things Victorinox should change on their tools, maybe they should take a look at the ST300, which has the best Phillips on a multitool out there (in my own humble opinion).

I also prefer the Swisstool over the Spirit, since I always carry my tools in a sheath on my belt anyway the bigger size/weight doesn't really bother me, and I think it just feels better in hand (but I should also say that, during the time that I carried my Spirit, it hasn't failed me once ...).

Thanks for the write-up mate  :salute:.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: May 19, 2019, 03:57:21 PM
Nice write up.  Handle splay isn't a bother to me as I also have large hands.  The phillips on my Spirit will be rounded over sooner than later.  A dirty Victorinox can be a problem, I've had a few experiences with this.  I was a much bigger fan of the Swisstool over the Spirit but I've now carried my Spirit more and more and quite like it.  Can't argue ergonomics in plier mode thats for sure.  I still very much like my Swisstool.  You are very right about those scissors being some of the very best.  The Spirit scissors are a big fail in my book so much so that I wish they weren't even there.  Both tools however have a great compliment of tools.  I do appreciate the bluntish pliers very much.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: May 19, 2019, 11:50:42 PM
Great review and pics gerleatherberman! :like: :tu: :tu:

Thanks for taking the time to post it. :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: May 20, 2019, 02:34:34 AM
Great write-up gerleatherberman  :tu:.

I'm glad you like the "new" Swisstool, and I agree on the "negative" points, like the pliers opening less wide (handle splay isn't really a problem for me, but I've got quite large hands so ...) and the soft Phillips driver.  This last one being number one on my list of things Victorinox should change on their tools, maybe they should take a look at the ST300, which has the best Phillips on a multitool out there (in my own humble opinion).

I also prefer the Swisstool over the Spirit, since I always carry my tools in a sheath on my belt anyway the bigger size/weight doesn't really bother me, and I think it just feels better in hand (but I should also say that, during the time that I carried my Spirit, it hasn't failed me once ...).

Thanks for the write-up mate  :salute:.

Thank you for the kind words and you're welcome, T-G! :cheers:

Nice write up.  Handle splay isn't a bother to me as I also have large hands.  The phillips on my Spirit will be rounded over sooner than later.  A dirty Victorinox can be a problem, I've had a few experiences with this.  I was a much bigger fan of the Swisstool over the Spirit but I've now carried my Spirit more and more and quite like it.  Can't argue ergonomics in plier mode thats for sure.  I still very much like my Swisstool.  You are very right about those scissors being some of the very best.  The Spirit scissors are a big fail in my book so much so that I wish they weren't even there.  Both tools however have a great compliment of tools.  I do appreciate the bluntish pliers very much.     
Thanks for the nice reply and thoughts, Aloha! :cheers:

Great review and pics gerleatherberman! :like: :tu: :tu:

Thanks for taking the time to post it. :cheers:

Thank you, VICMAN, and you're welcome!  :cheers:

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 02:54:47 AM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: May 21, 2019, 03:53:45 AM
Superb synopsis G-Man.  :hatsoff: 
The Swisstool and Spirit are still my favorite MT's but I must concede Vic could take a few lessons from Leatherman and others.  :facepalm:  I love the build of the new pliars but am in total agreement with you on the smaller opening being a step backward.  I would even go so far as to say this could be VIc's first lesson.  With the extra strength why not include replaceable cutters and increase to opening of the jaws.  How about moving the knife blade to the opposite side add a thumb stud with a shape simular to the locking mechanism etched with measurements to maintain the ruler while adding right hand OHO to the main blade.  Couls we upgrade the chisel on the Swisstool to match the superior one on the Spirt.  Speeking of superioir and matching, how about upgrading the Spirit scissors to match the Swisstool.  Lesson 2: FOR HEAVENS SAKE, STOP polishing the drivers to the point the ends are rounded.  Lesson 3: pocket clip option, if the Surge can be carried with a pocket clip so can a Swisstool. How about adding a blade exchanger or just a diamond file.  Has anyone considered adding 1mm to the width dropping out the phillips shortening the awl and small driver and putting a 1/4 inch bit driver in place of the phillips.  Let's face it Vic gave us a superior design with unmatched build quality at a time when the MT was realy just starting to come into it's own.  :salute:  The Swisstool and Spirit are still great tools and set an unparalleled high quality standard to this day.   :cheers:  While they are virtually unchanged, the rest of the industry has been taking chances.  Those chances have seen some real flopps but they also have made some geat strides.   :pok: :pok: Now Victorinox it's time to once again step up to the plate get inovative and raise the bar to a new level.  :popcorn:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #47 on: May 21, 2019, 04:28:18 AM
I wound up using the ratchet set from my Swisstool RS on a project tonight after the battery died on my cordless drill.  Like GMan, I didn't understand until Aloha sent me his Swisstool to try.  After that, I understood!
Barry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: May 21, 2019, 05:06:56 AM
Superb synopsis G-Man.  :hatsoff: 
The Swisstool and Spirit are still my favorite MT's but I must concede Vic could take a few lessons from Leatherman and others.  :facepalm:  I love the build of the new pliars but am in total agreement with you on the smaller opening being a step backward.  I would even go so far as to say this could be VIc's first lesson.  With the extra strength why not include replaceable cutters and increase to opening of the jaws.  How about moving the knife blade to the opposite side add a thumb stud with a shape simular to the locking mechanism etched with measurements to maintain the ruler while adding right hand OHO to the main blade.  Couls we upgrade the chisel on the Swisstool to match the superior one on the Spirt.  Speeking of superioir and matching, how about upgrading the Spirit scissors to match the Swisstool.  Lesson 2: FOR HEAVENS SAKE, STOP polishing the drivers to the point the ends are rounded.  Lesson 3: pocket clip option, if the Surge can be carried with a pocket clip so can a Swisstool. How about adding a blade exchanger or just a diamond file.  Has anyone considered adding 1mm to the width dropping out the phillips shortening the awl and small driver and putting a 1/4 inch bit driver in place of the phillips.  Let's face it Vic gave us a superior design with unmatched build quality at a time when the MT was realy just starting to come into it's own.  :salute:  The Swisstool and Spirit are still great tools and set an unparalleled high quality standard to this day.   :cheers:  While they are virtually unchanged, the rest of the industry has been taking chances.  Those chances have seen some real flopps but they also have made some geat strides.   :pok: :pok: Now Victorinox it's time to once again step up to the plate get inovative and raise the bar to a new level.  :popcorn:
Thank you, Douglas! :cheers:
Excellent notes there too!  :salute:

I think that Vic isn't going to change anything anytime soon. IMO anyway. Their pink elephant in the room is that they can produce high quality tools for lower-than-expected prices. That is that they depend on the same basic design, machining, and parts to make just a handful of actually unique products. Example: the 91mm line only differs in the tool selection and scales, so the different models really don't differ much, since the only notable distinction is the toolset/scale color. Same with their two pliers-models. The same tooling and automation are used for decades, so the materials and tooling-parts are most of the expense.
There are exceptions to this, like some of the shears/pliers RangerGrips, but there again, most of the parts are used in other models.
It is a great system to help in keeping costs down on high-quality products, but the downside is that they rarely ever produce anything radically different or new. :-[
When Vic does produce tools with production-unique aspects, the price is extremely high. In short, from my subjective view, their party trick is consistency. It serves them well as far as profit goes, and it serves us well as far as pricing and quality goes.  :woohoo:

As long as people keep forking over the money for the SwissTool as it is, we will likely not see any upgrades that would require new tooling and production alterations.  :cry:

Fortunately, having now added the new version of the SwissTool, it is obvious the tool is just as useful, and possibly more reliable, than its' predecessors. :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #49 on: May 21, 2019, 05:10:24 AM
I wound up using the ratchet set from my Swisstool RS on a project tonight after the battery died on my cordless drill.  Like GMan, I didn't understand until Aloha sent me his Swisstool to try.  After that, I understood!
:like:
Indeed. The SwissTool, and particularly the OG, alters the perception of other tools. :ahhh
Stuff I used to think was pretty good, turned just O.K. after Douglas gifted me the OG SwissTool. :)

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: May 21, 2019, 05:39:06 AM
Thank you, Douglas! :cheers:
Excellent notes there too!  :salute:

I think that Vic isn't going to change anything anytime soon. IMO anyway. Their pink elephant in the room is that they can produce high quality tools for lower-than-expected prices. That is that they depend on the same basic design, machining, and parts to make just a handful of actually unique products. Example: the 91mm line only differs in the tool selection and scales, so the different models really don't differ much, since the only notable distinction is the toolset/scale color. Same with their two pliers-models. The same tooling and automation are used for decades, so the materials and tooling-parts are most of the expense.
There are exceptions to this, like some of the shears/pliers RangerGrips, but there again, most of the parts are used in other models.
It is a great system to help in keeping costs down on high-quality products, but the downside is that they rarely ever produce anything radically different or new. :-[
When Vic does produce tools with production-unique aspects, the price is extremely high. In short, from my subjective view, their party trick is consistency. It serves them well as far as profit goes, and it serves us well as far as pricing and quality goes.  :woohoo:

As long as people keep forking over the money for the SwissTool as it is, we will likely not see any upgrades that would require new tooling and production alterations.  :cry:

Fortunately, having now added the new version of the SwissTool, it is obvious the tool is just as useful, and possibly more reliable, than its' predecessors. :)

:iagree:
 but one can DREAM
 :dd:
Dr.  McCoy

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: May 21, 2019, 05:53:49 AM

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #52 on: May 21, 2019, 12:03:47 PM
I think that sometimes collectors lose sight that Victorinox are producing tools, not collection pieces. The Spirit and Swisstool are the absolute pinnacle of an already high standard of quality and the toolset is pretty awesome as it is. Yes, they could produce slightly different models, but that would really only be for collectors who will only make up a tiny percentage of the customer base.

Having only owned a Crunch from the LM stable (and that only briefly), I can't speak to the different levels of quality between them and Vic, but from what I read the Vics are of a higher quality.

A multitool is always going to be a compromise but the Spirit pretty much covers all I would want from it.

I owe thanks to Gustophersmob for running the GAW where I won the mighty Spirit several years ago  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: May 21, 2019, 12:32:23 PM
Not sure I'd compare short-term ownership of one Crunch to long-term ownership of one Spirit. :think:
And to boot, the Crunch and Spirit are vastly different configurations(the reason you almost never read about people comparing them).
Let me clarify the apples and oranges scenario. The Crunch has many more complications involved to operate properly, as there is no room for handle misalignment, and it must perform a locking pliers function(highly complicated execution for such a small package). Then tack on the little set of good quality locking tools in the handle. On the flip side, the construction of the Spirit(and other tools with locking outboard implements and snappy pliers, like the Gerber MP700/800, Ganzo 301/302, etc etc) is more forgiving, as the handles don't have to align to such a degree. The implement ends and locking mechanism of the Spirit are more complicated than a lot of other tools, but the pliers end is rather simple. Flattened parts of the pliers pivot mounts catch on the spring tabs behind them to give that "pop" into position. Look at that Ganzo and you'll see what I mean. Locking pliers tools like the LM Crunch and Gerber Grappler can suffer from the slightest imperfection, which non-locking pliers tools do not.

Aside from being about the same price, I just cannot see a situation where the two can be compared. One is not much like the other.  :dunno:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #54 on: May 21, 2019, 12:47:57 PM
Sorry - I wasn't clear  :facepalm:

I wasn't comparing the Crunch to the Spirit - just saying that was my only LM experience.  :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: May 21, 2019, 12:56:47 PM
 :oops: It happens. :ahhh :cheers:

Now, that said, I have a dilemma. The two Spirits I have both have very minor production flaws. Not that I really care, because 90% of MTs I own I can find minor issues with. But, in another thread, I was told a certain era of Spirits have zero flaws(perfection was the term used) and I now have to locate a Spirit with the engraved Vic logo on the pliers.  :facepalm:

I'm sick, I know.  :rofl:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: May 21, 2019, 01:08:46 PM
I think that sometimes collectors lose sight that Victorinox are producing tools, not collection pieces. The Spirit and Swisstool are the absolute pinnacle of an already high standard of quality and the toolset is pretty awesome as it is. Yes, they could produce slightly different models, but that would really only be for collectors who will only make up a tiny percentage of the customer base.

Well said, I think there maybe a fundamental difference of believes between Vic and LM camps--

Vic seems to make their MT to cover 80% of our common daily needs, they were never meant to be real tools replacement nor a comprehensive solution to tradesmen.  Their tools don't have OHO blade nor replaceable pliers cutter, partly due to Europe regulations, but again, one could also say it is in sync with their philosophy.  With every tools available on the outside, opens and closes with Swiss precision, their tools strike a great balance between efficiency and effectiveness. :cheers: 

On the other hand, LM seems to try to capture a different part of market, by offering something different from Vic.  With the adapters and bits, replaceable cutters and OHO blade, they moved away from the original PST design which serves similar 80% philosophy as Vic's tools.  I think these tools are successful in their own ways, especially the OHO blade, it speaks to modern folding knife communities in US, which is huge.  The Charge/Wave chassis trade in some efficiency of non blade tools, but gain extra effectiveness with the bit adapter.

I personally always felt a little torn between Vic Spirit and my Charge/Wave.  Don't get me wrong, Spirit is perfect for my use in every way, but if they could have OHO, that would be so much sweeter!  :drool:

Now what makes thing interesting is the new LM Free series, with all tools available outside, magnets to solve the OHO pliers puzzle and help outside tools retention, I felt LM is re-introducing that 80% philosophy back with all the convenience of all tools OHO.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 01:14:37 PM by comis »

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #57 on: May 21, 2019, 01:50:32 PM
I was told a certain era of Spirits have zero flaws(perfection was the term used) and I now have to locate a Spirit with the engraved Vic logo on the pliers.

Like this one?  :D
20190401_132307.jpg
* 20190401_132307.jpg (Filesize: 324.08 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: May 21, 2019, 01:57:40 PM
Like this one?  :D
Yup. :like:

Well said, I think there maybe a fundamental difference of believes between Vic and LM camps--

Vic seems to make their MT to cover 80% of our common daily needs, they were never meant to be real tools replacement nor a comprehensive solution to tradesmen.  Their tools don't have OHO blade nor replaceable pliers cutter, partly due to Europe regulations, but again, one could also say it is in sync with their philosophy.  With every tools available on the outside, opens and closes with Swiss precision, their tools strike a great balance between efficiency and effectiveness. :cheers: 

On the other hand, LM seems to try to capture a different part of market, by offering something different from Vic.  With the adapters and bits, replaceable cutters and OHO blade, they moved away from the original PST design which serves similar 80% philosophy as Vic's tools.  I think these tools are successful in their own ways, especially the OHO blade, it speaks to modern folding knife communities in US, which is huge.  The Charge/Wave chassis trade in some efficiency of non blade tools, but gain extra effectiveness with the bit adapter.

I personally always felt a little torn between Vic Spirit and my Charge/Wave.  Don't get me wrong, Spirit is perfect for my use in every way, but if they could have OHO, that would be so much sweeter!  :drool:

Now what makes thing interesting is the new LM Free series, with all tools available outside, magnets to solve the OHO pliers puzzle and help outside tools retention, I felt LM is re-introducing that 80% philosophy back with all the convenience of all tools OHO.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on it, comis! :cheers:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #59 on: May 21, 2019, 02:02:46 PM
I agree Comis - I guess when most non-MTO people think of a multi, LM comes to mind first, and Vic are the 'Swiss Army Knife' company. I would like to try something like the Wave or Rebar at some point so I have an idea of a Leatherman compared to a Spirit.

When I won the Spirit in gustophersmobs GAW he pm'd me and said that the Spirit would ruin me for other MT's. I think he may be right, though I have a massive fondness for the MP400.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD