Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Now I Understand! It all makes sense now!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Now I Understand! It all makes sense now!
Reply #60 on: May 21, 2019, 02:37:24 PM
I've always thought of the Gerber MP vs Swisstool as sort of the GI 1911 .45 vs a SIG P210...same basic tool in two vastly different realms.
Barry

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #61 on: May 21, 2019, 02:43:39 PM
I've always thought of the Gerber MP vs Swisstool as sort of the GI 1911 .45 vs a SIG P210...same basic tool in two vastly different realms.
I had to look those up Barry - Which is the Spirit and which is the Gerber?
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #62 on: May 21, 2019, 03:00:37 PM
The Spirit is the SIG Mags.  It's well known in the Pistol world as the Rolls Royce of handguns.   
Barry

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #63 on: May 21, 2019, 03:02:58 PM
The Spirit is the SIG Mags.  It's well known in the Pistol world as the Rolls Royce of handguns.
:salute: Thanks for the clarification Barry

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #64 on: May 21, 2019, 03:05:15 PM
Same here, Barry. :iagree:

On a side note:
For some unknown reason, a large number of the MT threads(not about Spirits) turn into a Spirit discussion. To the point the original topic/question is lost(ex. This thread is about the larger Vic SwissTool). I've seen nearly everything compared to a spirit, and a lot of times stuff that isn't remotely in the same class or price range. :dunno:

Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #65 on: May 21, 2019, 03:13:37 PM
Realy good post comis. 

We each want our MT to perform tasks important to us.  Victorinox MTs cut, turns, and grips, as do Leatherman MTs.  Beyond that each company added tools like chisel, pry tool, scissors, bit holders, blade exchangers, replaceable wire cutters, fine blade flat driver, awl, and diamond file.

Thinking along the line of what comis wrote they each perform most everything a MT should.  Other makers did produce specialized MTs but we see how this has worked.  I think Victorinox simply produced their grand opera and there was no need to pump out versions.  What they did do was offer the L wrench and ratchet to compliment their tools.  Keeping it simple yet providing capabilities beyond their MTs. 

Other makers in particular Leatherman, began to offer a larger variety as a compliment to their original design.  We need to keep in mind than Victorinox is a knife maker so they have a large variety of Swiss Army Knives to choose from unlike Leatherman.  Leatherman began to offer a few choices and began to refine their biggest sellers.  The Wave has undergone several changes to include the Charge series.  The Super Tool as well changed to what we now know as the ST300. 

What I am saying is Victorinox doesn't have to offer anything new necessarily.  They have made a change to the plier head of the Swisstool for strength and yes for some it could have been better ( opened bigger ).  The Spirit can really use a change IMO, its scissors are not good.  We already know Victorinox steel is on the soft side or for those that dont they will know soon enough with use.  They produced a fantastically complete tool that covers as comis stated 80% of a MTs common purpose.

I am reminded of a thread I began to try to illustrate what the Spirit and Wave offered.  A member was hell bent on demanding we all bow to the great Spirit.  Comments like "if you use your tools" "hard use" etc etc seem to be used a lot.  My thing is, if you are a tradesperson and RELY on your MT  :dunno:.  If you are a specialized tradesperson and are reaching for your MT  :think:.  The common usage is covered by a great many MTs from both makers.  Leatherman users carry SAKs, Spirit and Swisstool users carry SAKs, and other makers users also carry SAKs.  The point is we like tools and some PREFER certain tools. 

I did a poll to see how many people were actually carrying and using their Victorinox MTs.  Leatherman was the "winner" BUT I have always maintained the WINNER is the person who has a MT on them.  Why? because the common tasks a MT is designed for can be completed with either Vic or LM.  Turn, cut, grip, and file can be completed by both makers. 

They both have outstanding CS.  They both make a capable tool.  We are going to carry a SAK regardless of how well appointed our MT is anyway.  Yes I am a LM fan.  I do however very much like and use my Victorinox MTs. 

Now collectors  :whistle: it does make it easier when a maker pumps out a lot of variety.  And we are all waiting for a juice sized Spirit  :popcorn:         

Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #66 on: May 21, 2019, 03:15:31 PM
Good points Aloha  :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #67 on: May 21, 2019, 03:15:54 PM
I've noticed the same thing GMan.  I've looked for reviews on the Swisstool and most of the time they turn into Spirit reviews.  I had a Spirit for a short period of time until my son reclaimed it :facepalm:. I definitely don't feel like I'm shorthanded with the Swisstool in my tool box though!
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #68 on: May 21, 2019, 03:16:11 PM
Oh and I like to think bacon and sausage when I think Vic MTs and LM MTs.  You decide which is which while I have both with eggs over easy and wheat toast please  :D
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #69 on: May 21, 2019, 03:16:50 PM
With this thread, I feel like carrying mine today!
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #70 on: May 21, 2019, 03:18:43 PM
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #71 on: May 21, 2019, 03:19:19 PM
 :drool: :drool:. I like your comparison better my friend!
Oh and I like to think bacon and sausage when I think Vic MTs and LM MTs.  You decide which is which while I have both with eggs over easy and wheat toast please  :D
Barry

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #72 on: May 21, 2019, 03:22:41 PM
:drool: :drool:. I like your comparison better my friend!

Yum!

We of all people should know there is no clear 'one MT to rule them all' - luckily we have lots and lots of toys to play with

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #73 on: May 21, 2019, 03:25:30 PM
Any interest in a Swisstool Challenge later in the year?  I've done the Spirit Challenge but would love to put this tool to the test!
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #74 on: May 21, 2019, 03:25:58 PM
Right Magsie!  :tu:
Yum!

We of all people should know there is no clear 'one MT to rule them all' - luckily we have lots and lots of toys to play with
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #75 on: May 21, 2019, 03:32:12 PM
I have my Swisstool in my house tool box that I keep in the hall closet.  Its a small set of regularly used tools.  Why not have my Mighty Surge in there?  If I need bit or blades I have those in a dedicated tool.  My Swisstool offers an immediate fix and beyond that I have the needed tool.  I also have a Swisstool in my garage.  Why? Because I like the array of implements and again if I need a certain tool I am not relying on my MT anyway. 

Work wise I carry my Charge TTi and Spirit ( enjoying it on my hip ).  I like the bit card.  I can tackle a great many screw types on the spot.  Once my tool belt is off tho I like having my Spirit on my hip.  If can handle common tasks.  If I need more tool then I go out to my vehicle.  I don't complain the tool is lacking.  Even my bit card has come up short.  I have to go get the right tool which is no bother.  Yes its awesome when you can remedy a situation on the spot with tools on hand.  I have always looked at my MT as an apprentice.  I would not expect my apprentice to be able to handle every they encountered.  If they were able to work out something then great. 

I think the reason why the Spirit gets a bigger share of the MT love is size.  Its no different that the Wave and Surge IMO.  I don't mind the Spirit coming up in our discussions.  Its interesting however the passions.  Its no different I guess than most anything.  Cars, trucks, beard combs, boots, guns, motorcycles, etc etc.

I used to never eat pepperoni on my pizza.  Man if you want to start a riot.............     

Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: May 21, 2019, 03:33:42 PM
Realy good post comis. 

We each want our MT to perform tasks important to us.  Victorinox MTs cut, turns, and grips, as do Leatherman MTs.  Beyond that each company added tools like chisel, pry tool, scissors, bit holders, blade exchangers, replaceable wire cutters, fine blade flat driver, awl, and diamond file.

Thinking along the line of what comis wrote they each perform most everything a MT should.  Other makers did produce specialized MTs but we see how this has worked.  I think Victorinox simply produced their grand opera and there was no need to pump out versions.  What they did do was offer the L wrench and ratchet to compliment their tools.  Keeping it simple yet providing capabilities beyond their MTs. 

Other makers in particular Leatherman, began to offer a larger variety as a compliment to their original design.  We need to keep in mind than Victorinox is a knife maker so they have a large variety of Swiss Army Knives to choose from unlike Leatherman.  Leatherman began to offer a few choices and began to refine their biggest sellers.  The Wave has undergone several changes to include the Charge series.  The Super Tool as well changed to what we now know as the ST300. 

What I am saying is Victorinox doesn't have to offer anything new necessarily.  They have made a change to the plier head of the Swisstool for strength and yes for some it could have been better ( opened bigger ).  The Spirit can really use a change IMO, its scissors are not good.  We already know Victorinox steel is on the soft side or for those that dont they will know soon enough with use.  They produced a fantastically complete tool that covers as comis stated 80% of a MTs common purpose.

I am reminded of a thread I began to try to illustrate what the Spirit and Wave offered.  A member was hell bent on demanding we all bow to the great Spirit.  Comments like "if you use your tools" "hard use" etc etc seem to be used a lot.  My thing is, if you are a tradesperson and RELY on your MT  :dunno:.  If you are a specialized tradesperson and are reaching for your MT  :think:.  The common usage is covered by a great many MTs from both makers.  Leatherman users carry SAKs, Spirit and Swisstool users carry SAKs, and other makers users also carry SAKs.  The point is we like tools and some PREFER certain tools. 

I did a poll to see how many people were actually carrying and using their Victorinox MTs.  Leatherman was the "winner" BUT I have always maintained the WINNER is the person who has a MT on them.  Why? because the common tasks a MT is designed for can be completed with either Vic or LM.  Turn, cut, grip, and file can be completed by both makers. 

They both have outstanding CS.  They both make a capable tool.  We are going to carry a SAK regardless of how well appointed our MT is anyway.  Yes I am a LM fan.  I do however very much like and use my Victorinox MTs. 

Now collectors  :whistle: it does make it easier when a maker pumps out a lot of variety.  And we are all waiting for a juice sized Spirit  :popcorn:         

Outstanding post, Aloha! That mirrors a lot of how I feel on the topic. With one exception, I think Gerber and SOG often get overlooked as options, because of how huge Vic is and how well-known LMs are. :D

I've noticed the same thing GMan.  I've looked for reviews on the Swisstool and most of the time they turn into Spirit reviews.  I had a Spirit for a short period of time until my son reclaimed it :facepalm:. I definitely don't feel like I'm shorthanded with the Swisstool in my tool box though!
:cheers:
Thanks for the reply, Barry!

In all honesty, I think the SwissTool is Vic's best pliers MT, by a long shot. :)

With this thread, I feel like carrying mine today!

I'll carry an OG SwissTool today as well! :cheers:

Yum!

Very very true. :iagree: :like:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: May 21, 2019, 03:36:07 PM
I have my Swisstool in my house tool box that I keep in the hall closet.  Its a small set of regularly used tools.  Why not have my Mighty Surge in there?  If I need bit or blades I have those in a dedicated tool.  My Swisstool offers an immediate fix and beyond that I have the needed tool.  I also have a Swisstool in my garage.  Why? Because I like the array of implements and again if I need a certain tool I am not relying on my MT anyway. 

Work wise I carry my Charge TTi and Spirit ( enjoying it on my hip ).  I like the bit card.  I can tackle a great many screw types on the spot.  Once my tool belt is off tho I like having my Spirit on my hip.  If can handle common tasks.  If I need more tool then I go out to my vehicle.  I don't complain the tool is lacking.  Even my bit card has come up short.  I have to go get the right tool which is no bother.  Yes its awesome when you can remedy a situation on the spot with tools on hand.  I have always looked at my MT as an apprentice.  I would not expect my apprentice to be able to handle every they encountered.  If they were able to work out something then great. 

I think the reason why the Spirit gets a bigger share of the MT love is size.  Its no different that the Wave and Surge IMO.  I don't mind the Spirit coming up in our discussions.  Its interesting however the passions.  Its no different I guess than most anything.  Cars, trucks, beard combs, boots, guns, motorcycles, etc etc.

I used to never eat pepperoni on my pizza.  Man if you want to start a riot.............     

:iagree: :like:

It is funny though. This thread was rather slow and docile. Then someone brought up a Spirit. I had notifications turned on for this thread. Going to turn them off now, because my inbox blew up. :rofl:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #78 on: May 21, 2019, 03:39:49 PM
 :cheers: GMan!
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #79 on: May 21, 2019, 03:41:18 PM
It's so funny that I had to resort to the bit kit on mine last night!  I came home and saw this thread :D
Barry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: May 21, 2019, 03:54:34 PM
 :like:

Choices choices....

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.....

The newer version(SwissTool X) today.  :woohoo:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #81 on: May 21, 2019, 03:57:10 PM
I dont use either SOG or Gerber.  I don't know why  :dunno:.  I tried both.  A SOG PPP and Gerber MP400.  In a lot of ways I do think familiarity comes into play.  Theres a certain comfort with things familiar.  I quickly moved from LM Wingman/Sidekick to a Wave then Surge.  I tried a great many in between.  I got very familiar with both tools from LM and they worked great for what I needed.  Not a big jump to the Charge TTi.  The sticking point was those CC plier head.  No real reason I didn't like them other than familiarity  :dunno:.

Trying tools is another story.  I don't mind trying  :multi: 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #82 on: May 21, 2019, 04:00:04 PM
 :tu: :like:
IMG_20190521_095910.jpg
* IMG_20190521_095910.jpg (Filesize: 248.82 KB)
Barry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: May 21, 2019, 04:54:55 PM
I dont use either SOG or Gerber.  I don't know why  :dunno:.  I tried both.  A SOG PPP and Gerber MP400.  In a lot of ways I do think familiarity comes into play.  Theres a certain comfort with things familiar.  I quickly moved from LM Wingman/Sidekick to a Wave then Surge.  I tried a great many in between.  I got very familiar with both tools from LM and they worked great for what I needed.  Not a big jump to the Charge TTi.  The sticking point was those CC plier head.  No real reason I didn't like them other than familiarity  :dunno:.

Trying tools is another story.  I don't mind trying  :multi:
Familiarity is a good reason to pick something for sure. :like:

I used a Gerber Multi-Plier exclusively for over 10 years, so when I got my first LM(JPST), I thought LMs were junk(OG Multi-Plier has unparalleled comfort in grip as long as you watch your palm). Then I started reading and realized most big brands have their strong and weak attributes. I still carry the Multi-Plier in my back pocket for the blunt nose pliers. But, for my main tools(NN), I rotate every now and then, though my goto work-tool has been a LM Charge TTi with Blast pliers(no CC). For me, it has that perfect blend of robust tool and nice design. I am not afraid to use it and am happy to look at it. It can be taken apart for maintenance, 42 drivers ride with it, and the toolset is near perfect(except it needs an awl for my job). My Vic Explorer(also carried over 10 years and longer than the Multi-Plier) handles the awl jobs though. The SOG CrossCut with compound leverage scissors is great for cutting veneer. :D

The SwissTool is one of the tools in the main rotation, particularly off days. Though I haven't been carrying it much since getting the LM Free P4, it is now back in rotation since I have gotten a good feel of how the P4 performs. The OG SwissTool has been quickly overtaken by the newer version. Guess I'm a sucker for the beefier pliers(being the X model helps too, since my OG SwissTools are rescue blade oriented). :woohoo:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:04:02 PM by gerleatherberman »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #84 on: May 21, 2019, 05:20:11 PM
Whats interesting is I modded a Wave to be a MiniSurge yet I don't carry it  :dunno:.  Its on my coffee table along a few other items for convenience. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #85 on: May 21, 2019, 05:36:44 PM
 :like:
I started with a few on the coffee table. Now there may be one or two laying around. :whistle:
I admire your self-control. :like:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: May 22, 2019, 05:16:08 AM
Wow...
Seems I stired up quite the Hornets nest.  Please don't take my previous post wrong, the SwissTool and Spirit are great tools and STILL just as valid as any NEW tool on the market today.  I understand Vic tools fill a certain niche in the market and they have no NEED to make a bunch of changes.  By the same token Leatherman fills another corner and they fill it very well.  That being said you all make great and valid points of bacon, sausage and 2 eggs over easy with whole wheat toast. :pok: :pok:  That's just a small part of why I love this place so much.l
Now if we could just get Vic, Leatherman, Gerber and SOG to collaborate.  :whistle: that would be like...
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: May 22, 2019, 05:18:49 AM
 :iagree: Thanks for the reply, Douglas! :cheers:

Quote from: Douglas
Now if we could just get Vic, Leatherman, Gerber and SOG to collaborate.   that would be like...
Oh man. Don't you know that would be an expensive tool, but likely as close to perfect as it can get. :dd:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #88 on: May 22, 2019, 06:11:23 AM
There will always be one tool vs another tool talk.  Its the same with trucks as I found out in 04.  I never take anything personal.  We know Vic wont be making changes anytime soon.  Leatherman will push out a new tool and see what happens.  In the mean time we here on MTO will debate, critique, discuss, use, collect, and have one heck of a time while doing so.   :salute:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: May 22, 2019, 02:36:24 PM
AMEN! :hatsoff:
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44