Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Now I Understand! It all makes sense now!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: Now I Understand! It all makes sense now!
Reply #90 on: May 22, 2019, 03:15:32 PM
 :iagree: :tu: :tu:
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #91 on: May 22, 2019, 03:37:37 PM
I've said it before elsewhere, I enjoy a lively discussion.  Pound the drum of the tool you enjoy and sing it's praises.         

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #92 on: May 22, 2019, 10:28:08 PM
Another day with mine.  All my work has gone to my keychain tools for the Keychain Challenge, but the Swisstool feels good on my belt.
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #93 on: May 23, 2019, 10:50:23 PM
 :ahhh. Is there a ratchet that comes with the bit set?  I have the breaker bar,  but the ratchet would come in very handy! 
IMG_20190523_164938.jpg
* IMG_20190523_164938.jpg (Filesize: 136.78 KB)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:57:11 PM by Barry Rowland »
Barry

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #94 on: May 23, 2019, 11:36:58 PM
:ahhh. Is there a ratchet that comes with the bit set?  I have the breaker bar,  but the ratchet would come in very handy!

You mean one of these ... ?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #95 on: May 23, 2019, 11:58:45 PM
That's it!
Barry

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #96 on: May 24, 2019, 12:12:21 AM
I think I'm the only MT.o member that thinks driving screws with a ratchet is just plain wrong. :rofl:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #97 on: May 24, 2019, 12:17:22 AM
After following this thread I decided it is time for me to to get some current Swisstools.

When the Swisstool came out I was still a Victorinox Dealer so I have had an Original Swisstool all these years.

I have been wanting to try the newer Swisstools with the reversed pliers jaws, beefier pliers, and newer metal saw, so I have ordered a Swisstool X and a Swisstool Spirit X. :woohoo:

Hopefully they will arrive about Tuesday or Wednesday. :mail:

I will post pictures when they arrive! :D

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #98 on: May 24, 2019, 12:20:31 AM
 :rofl: No Gman, I'm just a gadget nut!!
I think I'm the only MT.o member that thinks driving screws with a ratchet is just plain wrong. :rofl:
Barry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #99 on: May 24, 2019, 12:21:18 AM
 :woohoo:  Outstanding Vicman!!
After following this thread I decided it is time for me to to get some current Swisstools.

When the Swisstool came out I was still a Victorinox Dealer so I have had an Original Swisstool all these years.

I have been wanting to try the newer Swisstools with the reversed pliers jaws, beefier pliers, and newer metal saw, so I have ordered a Swisstool X and a Swisstool Spirit X. :woohoo:

Hopefully they will arrive about Tuesday or Wednesday. :mail:

I will post pictures when they arrive! :D
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: May 24, 2019, 12:38:55 AM
Thanks Barry! :cheers:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #101 on: May 24, 2019, 04:09:29 PM
That's it!
I can recommend the Topeak Rocket ratchet Barry - It's gears are reversible and it holds bits better than the Vic one  plus I think it's cheaper! :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #102 on: May 24, 2019, 05:05:42 PM
Thanks Magsie!  Cost is always a factor in dealing with the Mrs! :facepalm:
Barry

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #103 on: May 24, 2019, 08:43:25 PM
Thanks Magsie!  Cost is always a factor in dealing with the Mrs! :facepalm:
Well, for the price of the vic ratchet you could prolly get Topeaks for both of you.  Plus you get love points for the romantic gesture.  :cheers:

I'm here all week folks.  Get your romance advice from Professor Mags, leading exponent of the Science Of Lurve
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #104 on: May 25, 2019, 12:54:04 AM
@GLBM - Now that you have it figured out, I have a serious question concerning the Spirit. 
There are several versions/models, What model do I want to search for, to get the best example of the Spirit

In case you were not aware, I LUV MY REBARS, I love my ST300, I use my SS Wave for my PT job due chemicals, have my Surge packed in my camping kitchen. I do like my MP400, because of the size.

I have missed out on a couple deals for Spirits because I did not understand the X model, or butter blade version or other different names.

So, please tell me what Spirit model I would be happy with based on the size and tools featured based on my Rebar Luv.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #105 on: May 25, 2019, 01:01:40 AM
 :rofl: :tu:
Well, for the price of the vic ratchet you could prolly get Topeaks for both of you.  Plus you get love points for the romantic gesture.  :cheers:

I'm here all week folks.  Get your romance advice from Professor Mags, leading exponent of the Science Of Lurve
Barry

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #106 on: May 25, 2019, 02:33:34 AM
@GLBM - Now that you have it figured out, I have a serious question concerning the Spirit. 
There are several versions/models, What model do I want to search for, to get the best example of the Spirit

In case you were not aware, I LUV MY REBARS, I love my ST300, I use my SS Wave for my PT job due chemicals, have my Surge packed in my camping kitchen. I do like my MP400, because of the size.

I have missed out on a couple deals for Spirits because I did not understand the X model, or butter blade version or other different names.

So, please tell me what Spirit model I would be happy with based on the size and tools featured based on my Rebar Luv.

Thank you

The Spirit S has the same tool load out as a Rebar, but those are rare as hen's teeth since being discontinued. Most versions have the silly Spirit scissors, which aren't terrible, because they do cut tiny stuff well. The basic Spirit X, being the cheapest version(around $100 without any accessories and a nylon sheath), has most of what a MT user will need for many tasks. The combo butter blade is a preference thing, but I like the regular PE blade better myself. The butter blade won't pierce.
The only thing some people don't like to mention, and the same goes for the bigger SwissTools, is that the high polish on the tool will make it slippery when hands are sweaty and/or oily. Just a public service announcement.  :ahhh
The Spirit X is well made and looks nice. The steel isn't great(quite soft compared to LM and Gerber tool steel) but it is still pretty good for most tasks. The softer steel is much more rust resistant though. And make sure your fingernails are strong, because the tools are stiffer(defeating the spring retention) than the Rebar tools. But, the tools being outboard on the SwissTools is a benefit that makes up for that. Not a big deal for me since I use drivers with a handle folded out anyway, but some people will throw confetti over not having to ease a handle open to deploy a tool.
A Rebar is a true workman's tool and the Spirit is a true piece of precision engineering. I appreciate both, so I may not be the person to ask. I think the Rebar is a better value myself, but it isn't nearly as fun to play with as the SwissTools.

There are only two true frameworks of currently produced Vic pliers tools. The SwissTool, which is the mid-heavy duty; and the SwissTool Spirit, which is their medium duty tool. The designations(versions) of X, xbs, rs, rt, etc etc; just tell you the tool layouts, finish, and such.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you'd like some close ups of the blades to get an idea of the differences. :)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:58:51 AM by gerleatherberman »
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #107 on: May 25, 2019, 03:49:27 AM
Thank you very much!
More detail than I anticipated, and I will print and study so I am ready when a opportunity presents itself.

I agree with you totally about the REBAR. Best value and function for the size. And like you, I use many of the tools with the handles extended for extra gripping area and control. 

I just have not encounter a Swiss Tool or Spirit in person to have that “uh ha” moment.   I just like the shape of the handles when unit is closed, and finish is bling that is a plus, yet a BO model would be worth extra coin.  (I missed Steve C selling a BO Spirit because I just was not sure. )

Again, thank you for your insight and great ability to translate your thoughts into words. 
Sincerely

Hope yours is as good!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #108 on: May 25, 2019, 04:54:10 AM
Thank you very much!
More detail than I anticipated, and I will print and study so I am ready when a opportunity presents itself.

I agree with you totally about the REBAR. Best value and function for the size. And like you, I use many of the tools with the handles extended for extra gripping area and control. 

I just have not encounter a Swiss Tool or Spirit in person to have that “uh ha” moment.   I just like the shape of the handles when unit is closed, and finish is bling that is a plus, yet a BO model would be worth extra coin.  (I missed Steve C selling a BO Spirit because I just was not sure. )

Again, thank you for your insight and great ability to translate your thoughts into words. 
Sincerely

You're certainly welcome, LoopCutter! :cheers:
And thank you for the compliment, LC! :salute:

And whether a Spirit becomes your new EDC(or part of) or not, it is a must-have for any MT-enthusiast. IMO. :multi:

Good luck on finding one fpr a good price, especially the BO versions.  :cheers:
The BO coating costs around $70 extra on the new Vic SwissTools. One of the biggest price digs in the MT world(shame on you, Vic). :ahhh

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #109 on: May 25, 2019, 05:29:11 PM
I don't own any of the "new" BO Swisstools or Spirits, but I do own an older BO version of both, and if they would've been my first Swisstools, I would've been greatly disappointed with them.  The older BO versions aren't very nice to look at, especially not when they are brand new.

If I was going to buy my first Spirit, I would go for a Stainless version.  And the butterblade version is my favorite, the knife is awesome, it cuts through stuff like... well, butter  ::).  And it's pointy enough to pierce through something, and even if it wasn't, there's always the awl.

The only thing I don't like about them (Swisstool and Spirit) is the Phillips screwdriver.  They work great at first, but they do wear a lot faster than the Phillips on the ST300 for example.

And I'm one of those weirdos who likes the scissors on the Spirit.  They are very solid, and you can't loose the spring like you can on the Swisstool/SAK version.  And no, they don't open very wide, but in my opinion if it's too wide to fit into the scissors, maybe you should be using another tool for it.  Same goes for when you're trying to give somebody a haircut with them...

And if the scissors are a problem to you, it can be fixed quite easily, without having to unscrew or drill out anything.  There's a great "how to" tutorial about that here on MTO.

Just my 2 cents, as always  ;).

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #110 on: May 25, 2019, 05:33:13 PM
 :iagree:  I always preferred the butter blade on the Spirit.  I love the shine of the stainless versions too!  I've never had any issues with the Spirit scissors, but I rarely use the scissors on either Swisstool.
Barry

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #111 on: May 25, 2019, 07:18:24 PM
Thank you Top Gear and Barry, I do appreciate your first hand thoughts.

Since I found my Serrated Spartan (to be here next week), I am now focusing on a Spirit.

A Spirit X with either a PE or Butter Blade most likely in SS.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #112 on: May 25, 2019, 07:28:29 PM
Thank you Top Gear and Barry, I do appreciate your first hand thoughts.

Since I found my Serrated Spartan (to be here next week), I am now focusing on a Spirit.

A Spirit X with either a PE or Butter Blade most likely in SS.

Great choice, Douglas gave me the one with butter blade. A wonderful tool. :tu:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #113 on: May 25, 2019, 07:34:46 PM
Wait a sec, am I the only one whom prefers Plain edge over the butter edge?  :think:

I always think the sharpening eventually will flat out the butter edge if not careful, and the PE is almost like having a familiar SAK knife migrated onto the Spirit.

Btw, did anyone ever tried using the butter edge on butter?  :pok: :D

us Offline Butch

• No Life Club
  • Douglas's papa
Reply #114 on: May 25, 2019, 07:38:08 PM
Wait a sec, am I the only one whom prefers Plain edge over the butter edge?  :think:  :dunno:

I always think the sharpening eventually will flat out the butter edge if not careful, and the PE is almost like having a familiar SAK knife migrated onto the Spirit.

I'm retired so all the time in the world to sharpen carefully. So what do I know from nothing? :dunno:
Shoot low sheriff, they're riddin' shetlands
SAKMC unit number BR549
137% Redneck
I would like to apologise to anyone I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you shortly.
Just a small personal observation.  ...........I would not be at all surprised that when God created the Earth & the heavens, that the SwissChamp was the tool he used. .............. :hatsoff:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #115 on: May 25, 2019, 08:06:10 PM
I don't own any of the "new" BO Swisstools or Spirits, but I do own an older BO version of both, and if they would've been my first Swisstools, I would've been greatly disappointed with them.  The older BO versions aren't very nice to look at, especially not when they are brand new.

If I was going to buy my first Spirit, I would go for a Stainless version.  And the butterblade version is my favorite, the knife is awesome, it cuts through stuff like... well, butter  ::).  And it's pointy enough to pierce through something, and even if it wasn't, there's always the awl.

The only thing I don't like about them (Swisstool and Spirit) is the Phillips screwdriver.  They work great at first, but they do wear a lot faster than the Phillips on the ST300 for example.

And I'm one of those weirdos who likes the scissors on the Spirit.  They are very solid, and you can't loose the spring like you can on the Swisstool/SAK version.  And no, they don't open very wide, but in my opinion if it's too wide to fit into the scissors, maybe you should be using another tool for it.  Same goes for when you're trying to give somebody a haircut with them...

And if the scissors are a problem to you, it can be fixed quite easily, without having to unscrew or drill out anything.  There's a great "how to" tutorial about that here on MTO.

Just my 2 cents, as always  ;).
Thanks for the additional perspective, T-G! :cheers:

Wait a sec, am I the only one whom prefers Plain edge over the butter edge?  :think:

You're not alone. I prefer the normal blade. :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #116 on: May 26, 2019, 04:14:37 AM
I like both blades and have both.  The SS Sprirt is really nice looking.  I like to use the butter blade so thats the one I carry.  Its wicked sharp and I have only touched it up with no problem to the serrations.  I'm sure over time that can happen.  Scissors and phillips aside, its really a great tool. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #117 on: May 26, 2019, 04:25:22 AM
I'm currently Spiritless :facepalm:. With all this talk, does anyone have a butterblade stainless they might want to find a really great home for?  :dunno: :D
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD