Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Custom Vic Handyman

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Custom Vic Handyman
on: October 17, 2008, 03:31:24 PM
Hey guys,
Just want to get your input on this topic.  I just contacted Bill Evans (Scibeer) about a possible custom Victorinox.  I've been looking around to find my idea of a perfect combination, and as it tends to happen, my ideal SAK has yet to be created.  Here is the idea for a hybrid SAK that I would be proud to EDC!

Custom Victorinox Handyman:
-Remove the can opener/bottle opener layer
-Remove the small blade
-Place the bottle opener (or bottle/can opener combo tool) into the
location where the small blade was ( I would prefer just bottle opener,
to save on costs)
-In the now empty layer, add an inline phillips driver to one side, and a
magnifying glass to the other
-Lastly, turn it into a plus by adding plus scales, a pen, pin, and
eyeglass driver to the corkscrew.

I'm going to call it "Victorinox Diyer" (Do-It-Yourself-er)
Let me know what you guys think!

-Dough
W

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Re: Custom Vic Handyman
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 05:18:25 PM
The Vic Handyman is really workhorse. With a philips/magnifier layer, it would have all the tools I would ever want as well. :D

My only concern is that I think you would have to use the combo tool, and it is not nearly as rugged as the regular bottle opener. Scibeer will know better than I though.

As well, I find the phillips on the end of the can opener much better for small screws than the large inline phillips, so I would miss having it.

Since this knife is likely too large to be pocket carried anyway, I would therefore prefer to keep the opener layers as I think they are worth the extra width.

Just my own personal preferences in case they are helpful... ;)
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 06:25:13 PM
Max is right about having to use the Combo tool in place of the small blade but I have to say I'm a fan.  You will still be adding a little thickness (1-2mm maybe) to the SAK overall as the magnifier/philips layer is thicker than the opener layer, but it shouldn't make any real difference.  I think it sounds great knife.  We need to see pics when it's done.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 06:36:37 PM
Sounds like a really interesting mod mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:40:43 PM
Sounds like a good mod.  :)

And yes, you will have to have a combi like it has been said.
I'm back!!

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 08:02:10 PM
Do they use the combi because the straight bottle opener wont fit, or because its a combonation of bottle and can opener.  I looked at some quick measurements and it seemed as if the bottle opener would be able to fit in the opening left behind by the small knife.

-Dough
W

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 08:11:46 PM
I believe the combo tool is needed because it will engage the backspring correctly, while the bottle opener is shaped differently and will not.

Each tool will only work with certain backspring shapes. Sometimes tools can be made to work with different backsprings, other times not.

You can't really see this stuff looking from the outside of the knife, but it quickly becomes apparent when looking at the parts.

Here is some better info...
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 08:13:01 PM
Do they use the combi because the straight bottle opener wont fit, or because its a combonation of bottle and can opener.  I looked at some quick measurements and it seemed as if the bottle opener would be able to fit in the opening left behind by the small knife.

-Dough

The combi is thinner than the bottle opener.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 08:20:49 PM
Here's a pic of a mod that was done for me by Bill that has the combi in it;

As you can see, it fits in there pretty snuggly, and that's with it being thinner than the bottle opener.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 10:08:42 PM
I'm another nay sayer on loosing the opener layer.  At some point you're likely to want to do a little prying and the bottle opener is a much more suitable tool than the combi.

On the positive side, you can never go wrong adding the inline phillips and mag to any knife in my opinion :)

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 01:31:02 AM
I'm another nay sayer on loosing the opener layer.  At some point you're likely to want to do a little prying and the bottle opener is a much more suitable tool than the combi.

On the positive side, you can never go wrong adding the inline phillips and mag to any knife in my opinion :)
I know I know!! Personally I am a HUGE fan of the bottle opener/ can opener layer, and I think they are two of the best designed tools in any of the multitool industry.  Nobody had nailed these two tools as well as Vic.  However, I'm going to use this as a carry along with my swisstool spirit, so I will have the robust openers in that tool!.

-Dough
W

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 06:11:50 AM
Or what if I buy a Champion Plus then:
-Remove the fish scaler
-Add a set of pliers (that would involve changing springs in that layer, and adding some thickness, but what can you do)

Everything else is already there, and I wouldnt have to sacrifice the bottle opener/ can opener layer.

It will end up being one layer thicker then the previously mentioned mod, but I think it will be easier.

Also, is there any other tool that can be placed in the spot of the small blade.  I personally think its a waste of space, and always thought Victorinox could have found a better tool for that space.

-Dough
W

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 10:28:45 AM
Or what if I buy a Champion Plus then:
-Remove the fish scaler
-Add a set of pliers (that would involve changing springs in that layer, and adding some thickness, but what can you do)

Everything else is already there, and I wouldnt have to sacrifice the bottle opener/ can opener layer.

It will end up being one layer thicker then the previously mentioned mod, but I think it will be easier.

Also, is there any other tool that can be placed in the spot of the small blade.  I personally think its a waste of space, and always thought Victorinox could have found a better tool for that space.

-Dough

Easier to get a Champ and remove the fish scaler than a Champion and add the pliers :)

The fish scaler being such a thin layer, you could argue that at that stage you'd be best just leaving the Champ as is.  If you really wanted something instead of the small blade you could add the golf divot tool or the watch back opener. Or perhaps go for a different style blade like the electrician's or pruning blade.

If this is to be carried alongside a Spirit I'd be tempted to rethink things as you've got a lot of redundancy between the tools.

Neil

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 10:28:53 AM
Particularly useful alternatives to the small blade are the electrician's blade and the harvester blade.

R

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 12:11:35 PM
Easier to get a Champ and remove the fish scaler than a Champion and add the pliers :)

The fish scaler being such a thin layer, you could argue that at that stage you'd be best just leaving the Champ as is.  If you really wanted something instead of the small blade you could add the golf divot tool or the watch back opener. Or perhaps go for a different style blade like the electrician's or pruning blade.

You reading my thoughts again Neil?  :o

Also, the fish scaler has a ruler on it which the Spirit doesn't have. 
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 03:54:02 PM
I don't know why you just don't buy a SwissChamp. It has a more tools and it's hell of a lot cheaper than having what you want modded!
B

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: October 18, 2008, 08:28:26 PM
I don't know why you just don't buy a SwissChamp. It has a more tools and it's hell of a lot cheaper than having what you want modded!

Because thousands of people have Swiss Champs; this way Dough gets a one of a kind of knife.  Even if there is no great advantage to it that is worth something.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #17 on: October 18, 2008, 08:50:42 PM
I think I have a slight conflict of interest actually.

On one hand, I always think that more tools is better, so I'll probably get a SwissChamp as a standalone carry.
On the other hand, I need a knife with certain characteristics to pair up perfectly with my swisstool spirit S. 

I think I'll just have to refine my custom knife to have less tools, but exactly what I need for a spirit companion.

I'M TORN!!!
W

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: October 18, 2008, 09:48:33 PM
When in doubt buy both :D

What to pair with a Spirit  :think:  Its going to need a magnifier, not much point in the opener layer, file or saw.  A bit driver like on the CyberTools might be nice....

Neil

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%