Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Chainsaw time!

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Chainsaw time!
on: July 04, 2017, 06:00:43 AM
I have a few Blackwood trees on my boundary fence that are shading the neighbours and causing damage to the fence, so made a start pruning them back with the chainsaw on the weekend

I stole this old saw off my dad before I bought him a new MS170. It probably could use a birthday tune up and seeing to by the Stihl doctor, as it gets used infrequently and took a bit to get going. I still managed to cut down two small trees and slice up some limbs from the larger trees yet to come down. I didn't want to drop the larger trees due to proximity to the houses and my mains power connection

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Chainsaw time!
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 06:49:06 AM
 :tu: (we need a chainsaw smilie)

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:54:14 AM
  :whistle:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 11:04:44 AM
It probably could use a birthday tune up and seeing to by the Stihl doctor, as it gets used infrequently and took a bit to get going. I still managed to cut down two small trees and slice up some limbs from the larger trees yet to come down.

I have a couple of petrol-powered (in USA lingo = "gas" ) chainsaws that are like that (only more so, won't start at all now, I suspect the fuel has gelled in the carbie or lines somewhere).  These days I don't need to do as much sawing, so my Ryobi 36V (USA = 40V) battery powered saw does everything I need (and starts first time every time and runs quietly)  :D

I didn't want to drop the larger trees due to proximity to the houses and my mains power connection

That sounds rather sensible, have you been wearing your adult pants or something ?   ;)  There is hours of amusement (well, schadenfreude to be more accurate) watching some of the  "idiots with chainsaws" and "chainsaw fails" and "tree cutting fails" videos on youtube.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 01:11:01 PM
Awarded.   :tu:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 09:09:56 AM
It probably could use a birthday tune up and seeing to by the Stihl doctor, as it gets used infrequently and took a bit to get going. I still managed to cut down two small trees and slice up some limbs from the larger trees yet to come down.

I have a couple of petrol-powered (in USA lingo = "gas" ) chainsaws that are like that (only more so, won't start at all now, I suspect the fuel has gelled in the carbie or lines somewhere).  These days I don't need to do as much sawing, so my Ryobi 36V (USA = 40V) battery powered saw does everything I need (and starts first time every time and runs quietly)  :D

I didn't want to drop the larger trees due to proximity to the houses and my mains power connection

That sounds rather sensible, have you been wearing your adult pants or something ?   ;)  There is hours of amusement (well, schadenfreude to be more accurate) watching some of the  "idiots with chainsaws" and "chainsaw fails" and "tree cutting fails" videos on youtube.

An electric saw might be ok for a modest size yard that can be reached by a single extension cord, and the battery powered ones might be ok for me, but I have an acre block and I already have the petrol saw. I did find the spark plug loose which would not have helped matters either. The bar oil wasn't working very well due to clogging (though I thought I'd cleared it), this could happen on any petrol or electric saw, it did come right eventually. A Stihl MS170 costs $249 new so if this one dies I'll probably just buy that and be done with it, depending on the cost/benefit analysis.

I always wear adult pants, but probably should invest in some chainsaw chaps. My uncle was a very lucky guy after slicing into his leg with his chainsaw. fraction further one way and he could have hit the femoral artery  :o
I think those videos are great instruction on what not to do, and well worth watching!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 12:07:04 PM
Nice looking older Stihl you have there :tu: and congrats on the badge :like: :like:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 01:46:50 PM
Congrats on the badge. There is just something about gas powered tools. Love them!
Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 11:20:05 PM
Nice looking older Stihl you have there :tu:

Yeah... he's Stihl got it.  :facepalm:

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 02:38:39 AM
Nice looking older Stihl you have there :tu: and congrats on the badge :like: :like:

:cheers: :cheers:

Congrats on the badge. There is just something about gas powered tools. Love them!

:salute: :salute:

Nice looking older Stihl you have there :tu:

Yeah... he's Stihl got it.  :facepalm:

Nice Dad Pun  :whistle:  :P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85