Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Re-Charge TTi, First time modder

us Offline The Tool Guy

Leatherman Re-Charge TTi, First time modder
on: July 04, 2017, 06:17:50 PM
Hi all, I'm looking to do the Re-Charge mod on my tti after thinking about it for a year, but I have some some questions before I start.

1. How should I buy a Rebar in USA? I can get a new one anywhere, but to buy new just to tear it apart 20 mins later seems like a waste. However if I buy one off the Bay, I could get a used tool, but won't know if I'm getting a nice tight plier head. Is there somewhere on here where I can just get the pliers?

2. The head should just drop in from my reading, while the scissors create a small gap between the handles. Is this always the case? I do not want to change the tool set in anyway besides grinding the scissors down. My current tools I have on hand are limited as I just moved. My best tools I have for grinding them is my wave and some sandpaper, would they be suitable?

3. As for disassembly, I should be able to remove the knurled screws with a little heat to burn the loctite and use vice grips, plus my wave to take them out. Is this the best way to do it? I heard of the Loki tools, would they be worth it? The Charge uses T10 6 point security bits, correct? Would I use also use heat on the charge? Any other tips about this step would be welcome. Just don't want to take out a screw and have a washer fly 20 feet away, that would be my luck.

4. Users who have done the mod, how do like it compared to the old head? My charge has been at my side for over 7 years, so it feels like a part of me. I'm sure I'm not the only one. That is why I'm asking so many questions, doing so much research on this, as I really don't want mess up my favorite tool. So any advice on how to NOT destroy my tool would be greatly appreciated.

After being on the site for years without a account, I feel like this is a great real first post. Happy Independence Day and Thank you! :D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:21:11 PM by The Tool Guy »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Leatherman Re-Charge TTi, First time modder
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 06:30:23 PM
I haven't done this mod but I can say that the loki tools are well worth it . He also may have Rebar pliers for sale as well.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%