Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you guys drill out your tools to fit the 1/8 pivots?

Offline 875fps

I started my journey into SAK modding using the KnifeKits pivots and since they were much bigger than 1/8 I had to literally use a file to turn them down so they would fit, then I used sandpaper to polish.

Now I'm using the AKS pivots and they fit much, much better, but not perfect.  They're still slightly bigger than my holes after drilling with a 1/8" carbide bit and then cleaning them up slightly with a 1/8" end mill.

My question to you guys is should I focus on the pivots to slightly narrow them down or is there another step I should be doing to the tools to make the pivots fit?

Right now it takes me forever to get a SAK made and I know there is a much faster and more efficient way to do it.

I'm also curious to hear how you guys drill out your holes?  Do you use a vise or some sort of self-made jig?  I'm using a piece of wood that I planed a small recess in that holds my tools perfectly flush with the top.  Then I mounted a flat steel bar that holds the tools perfectly flat so they don't move. Doing this allows me to move my jig around freely to position it below the drill bit yet gives me that sturdy hold so the tools can't move.  I would love to see how you guys do yours.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: How do you guys drill out your tools to fit the 1/8 pivots?
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:48:59 PM
A picture or two of your challenges and contraptions might be helpful?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%