Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MTO store

Borg · 14 · 703

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
MTO store
on: July 05, 2017, 07:05:47 PM
I have my eye on a couple of things listed on the store, does someone know if i order them will i get humped for taxes on receipt (UK) ? if so how much is it likely to be with an order of $70 or so ?
Poker Face Milk dud world champion 2021

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Re: MTO store
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 07:42:40 PM
Here in Finland it's 24% VAT added on all things valued over 22 euros if ordered outside ETA... I suppose it's +VAT and possible import fees(?) for you as well?
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

england Offline Kev D

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 07:50:35 PM
I'm in the UK and have ordered 3 multi's from the store so far.  2 of them I got no fees on this side, 1 I got an international package handling fee and vat which totalled at just under £13.

It's from Canada and not the usa so no import duty.

Hope that helps

PM incoming also

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 08:38:20 PM
Ok thanks guys, sounds a bit hit and miss with the tax, will give it a go  :tu:
Aleph78 im guessing so, i got charged for an order from Cabelas from USA a few years ago, but then that was a large box, im guessing a couple of saks have a reasonable chance of getting in without too much fuss, a reasonable chance will do me  :cheers:

ca Offline JP

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 09:51:25 PM
You should be able to find your tax and duty rates online.

Sometimes an item you bought gets classed incorrectly and you end up paying more than you should. If you can point them in the right direction you may be able to save some coin.

Regards.

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 06:02:01 PM
Thanks  :cheers:
First order on its way  :D

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 06:53:10 PM
Definitive guide here: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad
+ Royal Mail handling fee of £8 if you get charged.

That said, my last few international parcels haven't incurred any fees.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 12:54:00 PM
For the record, I usually list items as Camp Tools and having a value of around $35 (or less if it's less) so as not to incur the wrath of the Tax Gods.

If you aren't buying insurance on one of the more costlier shipping options then IMHO it's none of anyone's bloody business what is inside, provided it is all legal inside.  Maybe one of these days I'll go to jail for that, but that's something I am willing to do.  At the risk of getting political, I have never seen a government manage their (my) money wisely, so I see absolutely no reason to give them any more than is absolutely necessary.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 01:18:22 PM
For the record, I usually list items as Camp Tools and having a value of around $35 (or less if it's less) so as not to incur the wrath of the Tax Gods.

If you aren't buying insurance on one of the more costlier shipping options then IMHO it's none of anyone's bloody business what is inside, provided it is all legal inside.  Maybe one of these days I'll go to jail for that, but that's something I am willing to do.  At the risk of getting political, I have never seen a government manage their (my) money wisely, so I see absolutely no reason to give them any more than is absolutely necessary.

Def

I told him the same thing in a PM as I wasn't sure if you wanted that said in open forum   :tu:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:20:46 PM by Kevin Davey »

00 Offline Borg

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 06:35:25 PM
Not really sure how International postage works but I'm guessing when it hits these shores and gets handed to Royal Mail they will deliver it and take a percentage of the original postage price? not sure how they can justify an £8 handling fee too, i should really charge them a handling fee every time i hand them back mail that isn't mine.
For the record, my order was below $35 so all is good  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 07:17:39 PM

Def

I told him the same thing in a PM as I wasn't sure if you wanted that said in open forum   :tu:

I appreciate that, but I stand by my civil disobedience.   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #11 on: July 10, 2017, 09:10:57 PM
By the way, the store says that most 91mm and 84mm scale colours are out of stock.  ;)

And do you have the right pic for 84mm white scales up? They appear to be plus scales, which don't exist.  :o
(Unless they are modded?)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

england Offline Kev D

Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 10:08:55 PM
Not really sure how International postage works but I'm guessing when it hits these shores and gets handed to Royal Mail they will deliver it and take a percentage of the original postage price? not sure how they can justify an £8 handling fee too, i should really charge them a handling fee every time i hand them back mail that isn't mine.
For the record, my order was below $35 so all is good  :tu:

You'll get a card through the door to go to the post office to pay the fee and pick up your parcel.  Out of the 5 orders I've had from the store it's only happened once, and I can't figure out why, as all 3 multitool ones had the same on the labels.  No idea how royal mail apply the handling fee. I'm guessing if it is above letterbox size which I think that one was, but I'm not sure.

I doubt you'll get hit with a fee though
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:12:09 PM by Kevin Davey »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: July 11, 2017, 02:41:41 AM
By the way, the store says that most 91mm and 84mm scale colours are out of stock.  ;)

And do you have the right pic for 84mm white scales up? They appear to be plus scales, which don't exist.  :o
(Unless they are modded?)

Yes, I am not 100% sure what happened there- I will be reorganizing them as soon as I find the box of scales that I have misplaced.   :facepalm:

And no, those are not mods.  Your eyes do not deceive you, they are 84mm plus scales.  Unfortunately I know for a fact that those ones sold last month.  If I can get my hands on more I absolutely will.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%