Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Warranty Experiences/Turnaround time?

us Offline WiSAKfan

Re: Leatherman Warranty Experiences/Turnaround time?
Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 03:07:03 PM
Got a Leatherman Wingman a few weeks ago second hand and the liner lock for the blade was broken. Did not appear to have been abused or even sharpened and the rest of the tool is fine. I had considered just leaving it as is but someone said that Leatherman will warranty it even though I am not the original purchaser.
Is there a set procedure I have to go through such as contacting them first? I've never had to send anything in to anyone for warranty work(except an Invicta watch and that was a nightmare!). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

there's a form you fill out on the leatherman support page before sending it in

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 09, 2017, 03:23:54 PM
My experience (currently ongoing) is extremely positive. Last week I sent in an original PST with a snapped main blade, which I had incurred a few years ago and forgotten about until recently. I had stated on my mail to customer service that I thought that that, being classifiable as abuse, might not qualify for warranty, but the return mail invited me to fill in the online form for warranty cases, which hint I had promptly taken.
Fast forward to today: phone call, friendly guy advising me that blades were not to be had anymore and was I emotionally attached to the PST? Not that much, I said, whereupon he decided on the spot to mark me for a replacement with a spanking new Wave - woot! Due here end of the week...

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 09, 2017, 11:22:13 PM
I wonder what they do with tools such as your PST....  :think:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: August 09, 2017, 11:34:00 PM
I wonder what they do with tools such as your PST....  :think:

Use them to fix other PST's that are marked sentimental.   :whistle:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #34 on: August 09, 2017, 11:52:06 PM
That's what I was wondering. Must be a shortage of blades though.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: August 09, 2017, 11:55:18 PM
I suppose that might be one of the common tools to wear out or break.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: August 10, 2017, 08:07:37 AM
Yes, probably... I remember the event that led to the blade snapping was not excessively violent (prying a small wire staple out of some wood) and I was frankly surprised that it gave. Today's blades are sturdier, one hopes.

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #37 on: August 10, 2017, 08:11:02 AM
Yes, probably... I remember the event that led to the blade snapping was not excessively violent (prying a small wire staple out of some wood) and I was frankly surprised that it gave. Today's blades are sturdier, one hopes.

Blades are not for prying.  ::)

(On a SAK, the can opener is a nice staple puller.)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 10, 2017, 08:16:34 AM
I'd normally agree but the staple was dug in and I couldn't reach it with the flat screwdriver I'd otherwise have used... lesson learned.

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 23, 2017, 09:24:27 PM
My experience (currently ongoing) is extremely positive. Last week I sent in an original PST with a snapped main blade, which I had incurred a few years ago and forgotten about until recently. I had stated on my mail to customer service that I thought that that, being classifiable as abuse, might not qualify for warranty, but the return mail invited me to fill in the online form for warranty cases, which hint I had promptly taken.
Fast forward to today: phone call, friendly guy advising me that blades were not to be had anymore and was I emotionally attached to the PST? Not that much, I said, whereupon he decided on the spot to mark me for a replacement with a spanking new Wave - woot! Due here end of the week...

Wave has arrived bringing the total to two.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:08:00 PM by Dutch_Tooler »
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #40 on: August 25, 2017, 06:48:57 PM
 :like: Same here.... awesome service!!
I've used it twice and got a new replacement in 5days tops  :salute: great service  :salute:
Barry

Offline vadsoom

Leatherman Warranty Experiences/Turnaround time?
Reply #41 on: September 01, 2017, 07:08:27 PM
A decade or so ago, I was on a service call to a factory. One of the workers saw me using my Leatherman and asked if he could borrow it. He said, "thanks," and put it in his pocket. Later in the day I asked for it back and he denied having borrowed it. I told him he was going to be really embarrassed when he pulled it out to use it and found my name engraved in the side. He said, "no it isn't." He was right- I was bluffing, but his supervisor heard the exchange and made him give it back. Apparently, he had done this before, getting "swag" freebies from other visitors.

After returning home, I used an engraver at work to etch my name. Admittedly, my job was not very professional.

I broke the plier heads some months later and returned them to Leatherman for warranty service. I was totally shocked when I received the replacement set - they had my name professionally engraved.

Now THAT is excellent customer service and one of the reasons I've been a happy Leatherman customer since '85.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:10:03 PM by vadsoom »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #42 on: September 01, 2017, 07:16:04 PM
A decade or so ago, I was on a service call to a factory. One of the workers saw me using my Leatherman and asked if he could borrow it. He said, "thanks," and put it in his pocket. Later in the day I asked for it back and he denied having borrowed it. I told him he was going to be really embarrassed when he pulled it out to use it and found my name engraved in the side. He said, "no it isn't." He was right- I was bluffing, but his supervisor heard the exchange and made him give it back. Apparently, he had done this before, getting "swag" freebies from other visitors.

After returning home, I used an engraver at work to etch my name. Admittedly, my job was not very professional.

I broke the plier heads some months later and returned them to Leatherman for warranty service. I was totally shocked when I received the replacement set - they had my name professionally engraved.

Now THAT is excellent customer service and one of the reasons I've been a happy Leatherman customer since '85.
Wow, way to go!  :o :like:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #43 on: September 02, 2017, 01:06:10 AM
That's awesome. Was it a completely new tool?

Offline vadsoom

Reply #44 on: September 13, 2017, 09:28:48 PM
That's awesome. Was it a completely new tool?
Yes, completely new with an updated warranty date code.

Offline mybabybook

Reply #45 on: September 14, 2017, 07:47:34 PM
And I was refused warranty by the distributor in my country, saying that anyone can brake the blade and etc. Yes, but it got broken in normal use, it was not abused. So, my exprerience is NO good.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #46 on: September 14, 2017, 11:36:05 PM
Which country?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: September 14, 2017, 11:50:49 PM

Offline mybabybook

Reply #48 on: September 15, 2017, 01:15:14 PM
Which country?
Yeah, I forgot. Bulgaria. Also, from leatherman stopped answering my emails. So, no comment on this...

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #49 on: September 22, 2017, 06:38:23 PM
UK Whitby for warranty here.  Sent in a Fuse with missing locking rocker on knife side, on Saturday, 2nd class post.  Was a bit rusty in places too, even after a good clean and polish.  Got back a Wingman today, 6 days later.  No box.  Not examined it too closely yet (gift horse etc) but pretty impressed with service and turn around.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: November 30, 2017, 03:00:52 PM
My problem in a nutshell:

I have an old Pulse with general looseness, slight play in the pliers and a really loose roller lock. As I live in Hungary, I must deal with warranty returns through the local Leatherman distributor (who send in tools for repair in bulk to LM in Portland), which is fine, but as this is a retired model, first I want to see clear if I get the Pulse back repaired or they send me somthing else. (A Rebar would be fine, but I'd hate to get a Wingman for example.)

I wrote an email to them - meaning the Portland HQ - about two weeks ago, no reply. I wrote them again a week later, explaining the situation nicely for the second time, still not a word from them. Any guesses? Is this normal, I mean the response time?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:05:23 PM by Exeter »

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: December 02, 2017, 09:17:13 PM
My problem in a nutshell:

I have an old Pulse with general looseness, slight play in the pliers and a really loose roller lock. As I live in Hungary, I must deal with warranty returns through the local Leatherman distributor (who send in tools for repair in bulk to LM in Portland), which is fine, but as this is a retired model, first I want to see clear if I get the Pulse back repaired or they send me somthing else. (A Rebar would be fine, but I'd hate to get a Wingman for example.)

I wrote an email to them - meaning the Portland HQ - about two weeks ago, no reply. I wrote them again a week later, explaining the situation nicely for the second time, still not a word from them. Any guesses? Is this normal, I mean the response time?

No takers? Anyone?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #52 on: December 02, 2017, 09:19:40 PM
Not usual for here in the States , I"m not sure how they deal with overseas claims. You would think that they could at least give you a response though.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: December 03, 2017, 12:37:17 AM
Yeah, definitely strange.  ??? That's why I thought to ask around here, maybe someone can figure it out.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: December 04, 2017, 03:55:31 AM
I have had more than one or two emails go answered form them over the last few years as well :-\ Any time I send a tool thought they are in contact with me but when asking questions it may go to a different department :think:

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #55 on: December 04, 2017, 05:06:18 AM
Not to long ago, I contacted them using the live chat.  Seemed to work good. The women answered all my questions.  Good luck!

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: December 04, 2017, 10:17:49 AM
Live chat? What's that, where? I did not see anything like that on their website.

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #57 on: December 04, 2017, 01:26:45 PM
Live chat? What's that, where? I did not see anything like that on their website.

Just looked on the website, and didn’t see it  either.  :think:  I believe it was a option under support. I wonder if it’s only on there during biz hrs? I’ll check it later.

us Offline Glockfan

Reply #58 on: December 04, 2017, 08:02:24 PM

It’s the round button, bottom right corner.

hu Offline Exeter

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: December 04, 2017, 08:11:56 PM

It’s the round button, bottom right corner.

Yeah, I just finished a chat with them. After you mentioned this business hours thing, I checked it again, and voila, it turned out that because of the time difference, I just looked at the wrong times. Thank you for the tip!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%