Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

altimeter wind gauge thermometer

Offline tom q vaxy

altimeter wind gauge thermometer
on: October 08, 2023, 12:50:14 AM
anyone have a recommendation? will be used for day hikes and general gadgetry. under $150 if possible.

thanks

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Re: altimeter wind gauge thermometer
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 09:02:23 AM
There are many to choose from.  If you are looking to spend a relatively small amount of money, look on Ebay and many perfectly passable versions can be bought for 10 or 20 dollars. Most at this price bracket are Chinese made. If you are looking to buy used the best model around is the Silva Alba Windwatch. There are two versions so if you want the electronic barometer function be a little careful as some versions are anemometer only but look identical. The barometer model is identified for the UK as the "Alba" version But they were made also by Silva for Minox, Nexus and several other companies.  Pay around 30 dollars and find them on Ebay.  I have found them to be the most reliable and accurate pocket anemometer/barometer.

For my meteorological studies I use a JDC Skywatch.  You would pay around your top end but they are bulletproof, waterproof, very accurate and will last for many years. They are slightly larger though being around 6" tall, so more something for your backpack than a pocket. Again, several versions that look similar. JDC Skywatch are Swiss made.

Hope this helps  :salute:

Offline tom q vaxy

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 10:34:10 AM
thanks. now i have an assignment. never heard of these brands or models so will thoroughly investigate.

sounds like you've some experience in this area!

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 09:35:58 AM
I am a hobby meteoroligist and use a lot of this kit. If you would like any more info on my recommendations or a view on anything else you find, please pm me, I am on here every morning sometime between 8am and 9am UK time.  :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 09:38:00 PM
I have been thinking of getting an anemometer for flying drones.  I was just going to grab a cheapo from eBay, but you've given me something to think about as well!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline greenbear

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 07:08:43 AM
There are many quite good cheapo ones about Grant. Chinese made kit is always a cheaper deal. If it were me I would always try for something Swiss made, in the long run it will generally outlast a Chinese made item, even when bought pre owned.

As previously mentioned if you spot something and would like a second opinion just run it past me and I will give you an honest view  :tu:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: November 02, 2023, 12:33:03 AM
I usually buy some cheapo Chinese one off eBay to see if it's something I will actually use, then when it inevitably does, I get something good.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%