Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reassembly Tips for Original Leatherman Wave

vario · 10 · 1475

Offline vario

Reassembly Tips for Original Leatherman Wave
on: July 14, 2017, 05:13:09 PM
 :facepalm:

How do I get these to line up easily?  It is harder than it looks.  I tried using a vise but I was concerned I would damage the tool.
IMG_2323.JPG
* IMG_2323.JPG (Filesize: 87.37 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Reassembly Tips for Original Leatherman Wave
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 06:10:44 PM
I am sure there is a thread about that somewhere but I can't recall where it is :think: I will try and search for it when I get to a computer instead of my phone and see if I can track something down :tu:

Offline vario

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 06:29:05 PM
I am sure there is a thread about that somewhere but I can't recall where it is :think: I will try and search for it when I get to a computer instead of my phone and see if I can track something down :tu:

Thanks bud I have tried vise grips wrapped in tape, irwin quick grip, a few things so far just to try to align the pin but it just won't slide together  this is how I feel right now: :facepalm:.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 06:39:07 PM
Not sure if it will work but have you tried getting it aligned  with the handles open or partially open ?

Offline vario

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 07:01:36 PM
Not sure if it will work but have you tried getting it aligned  with the handles open or partially open ?

Its actually further from alignment at that point due to the two springs that sit inside the handle, the closest to alignment is when the tool is fully closed.

us Offline kaput

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 07:31:25 PM
I don't think there was a thread regarding this assembly disassembly. Because I ran into issues as well, and meant to do a guide but have just been too busy. It is definitley a little more tricky. Make sure you are putting the male and female bolts in on the right sides they came out of and pinch the tools on both sides with your hand, once you get a thread to catch you should be ok. And there are 2 copper washers that are on the outside of each tool I beileve.  :think:
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:32:56 PM by kaput »
multi-tools—folding contraptions fixed with all kinds of doo-dads

Offline vario

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 08:58:13 PM
I got it, here is how you do it.  The steps are to work with the female bolt first before the male, the female side is the side that has the non serrated blade, which I recommend taping so you don't cut yourself.

1) Use a small C clamp to hold the plier as shown in the picture 1, you have to open it this way to get the plier hole best aligned.  :rant:
2) Then take a wood dowel about 3/16" and jam it in the hole until it gets past the first spring and into the plier head. This aligns the holes.  :pok:
3) Then take your needle nose and depress the leaf spring that touches the plier head so that it is flush with the plier head by grabbing the edge of the spring and the edge of the middle of the plier head's back, hard to explain but theres a raised edge to the plier's back where it sits between the two inner springs.
4) You remove the wood dowel and then jam the female sex bolt ( :oops:) / shoulder bolt into the hole where the wood dowel was, this will look like picture 1.
5) Now you are at picture 2, use a c clamp to hold the sides together.
6) put a tiny bit of loctite on the male threaded bolt, then insert into the file and then tighten the screws also as shown in picture 2.
7) fold the blade and the file into the tool.
8 ) adjust the tension with the two screws until desirably stiff.
9) i heated it with a hair dryer to warm the loctite and then oiled it, the heat helps the oil flow in.
10) open and close it a few times to move the oil around then wipe off the excess  :climber:
 :facepalm:

Time wasted about 4 hours. :drink:.  Now that I know the secret I could do it in about 5 minutes.  :whistle:

Also I have to applaud leatherman on their insanely tight tolerances!  I tightened it up and its perfect now but the reassembly is so tricky I strongly recommend the average person NOT take it apart.
IMG_2326.JPG
* IMG_2326.JPG (Filesize: 90.17 KB)
IMG_2327.JPG
* IMG_2327.JPG (Filesize: 86.75 KB)
IMG_2328.JPG
* IMG_2328.JPG (Filesize: 96.38 KB)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:46:18 PM by vario »

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:46:50 PM
Nicely done vario !  :like: :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 12:24:31 AM
I am sorry I forgot to look :facepalm: We have been extra busy this month and it slipped my mind :oops: I am glad you got it back together and even took pics :salute: :tu: :like: :like:

00 Offline Sam Lim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 06:17:31 AM
Hi, reassembly need not be so complicated. Just wedge something in between the pliers when closed. The pivot holes will align even by hand. See pic for explanation. I know I am using a new wave. Your old wave should be easier. There's no tension spring..
IMG_20170817_121157_crop_448x448.jpg
* IMG_20170817_121157_crop_448x448.jpg (Filesize: 138.3 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%