Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Back to (Mora) basics

00 Offline fivesense

Back to (Mora) basics
on: July 16, 2017, 05:19:29 AM
I've been shuffling my EDC folding knives lately. I primarily carry a PM2 and now a Yojimbo 2. Both are nice and sharp with typically smooth Spyderco action. I also carry my Swiss Champ or Explorer Plus SAK.

All that said, I also like having a stout one-handed opening blade on me for grunt tasks that come up during the course of the day. The SAK takes two hands and I use but don't abuse my Spydercos, preferring to keep them relegated to slicing and dicing. So I've been in the hunt for a folder with a sharp but thicker blade, maybe half tanto or some variation. Or maybe something like a serrated Delica, or mini-Griptilian.

Then, on a hike today, it hit me- I always carry one of my Moras with me while hiking and it occurred to me that a fixed blade, simple, reliable beauty like Companion or Companion HD is what I need (and a handful of which I already have)! I love Moras and I carry them often, so why not just do so in the role mentioned above?! One handed "opening..." Check. Durable... Check. Quality/value ratio that guarantees I'll use the knife, even for grunt work... Check.

I may pick up another Companion or HD just because. But as a member of the Mora Club, I thought I'd share this story because we already know Moras are great.
Use your tools and enjoy the Zen of maintaining and sharpening them.

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Back to (Mora) basics
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 05:51:51 AM
I like your way of thinking.  The Mora is a great knife, be it in the day to day chores of what we use our knives for or outdoorsy type stuff.  My daughter has a companion that she carries for hikes and camping.  My friend carries a Mora HD which she loves.  I've offered her other knives but she's already familiar with what her Mora can take on so she's hesitant to change what works.  I can't fault her for that. 

I have an old Mora classic #2 I believe.  Its a wonderful little knife that in its previous life was worked hard.  It held its own but needed some edge love.  I figure if this knife could be used as hard as it appeared and take an edge and be ready to work then, much respect to Mora. 

I like having a fixed blade on me.  I find there is nothing more convenient that a small fixed blade that versatile.  I like to carry my RAT3 or CRKT Minimalist.  I have carried my Mora #2 but the sheath I have for it sucks.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 06:00:04 AM
I like your way of thinking.  The Mora is a great knife, be it in the day to day chores of what we use our knives for or outdoorsy type stuff.  My daughter has a companion that she carries for hikes and camping.  My friend carries a Mora HD which she loves.  I've offered her other knives but she's already familiar with what her Mora can take on so she's hesitant to change what works.  I can't fault her for that. 

I have an old Mora classic #2 I believe.  Its a wonderful little knife that in its previous life was worked hard.  It held its own but needed some edge love.  I figure if this knife could be used as hard as it appeared and take an edge and be ready to work then, much respect to Mora. 

I like having a fixed blade on me.  I find there is nothing more convenient that a small fixed blade that versatile.  I like to carry my RAT3 or CRKT Minimalist.  I have carried my Mora #2 but the sheath I have for it sucks.

:like:

I haven't gotten into exploring the Mora single digits, 500s, 700s, Robust, etc... Perhaps I should. It's easy to be "Mora lazy" because the basic Companion or Companion MG is so good and inexpensive. I tend to like the 3.2mm blades but the 2.5 is sufficient for EDC when I'm also carrying a razor sharp Spyderco. Even if I bust a 2.5mm, the cost to replace is nothing. The RAT 3 is a great alternative I hadn't thought of, although the sheath options make it only slightly less attractive.

The other consideration for me on the Moras is stainless vs. carbon. I love both. And truthfully, while the stainless is the no-brainer, I've had zero issues with my Companion HD in carbon, probably because I love to maintain my steel and don't mind the "extra" upkeep of carbon.

Thanks Mora, for making any decision I make the right one!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 06:01:55 AM by fivesense »

Consider donating a couple bucks to this site. There is no better knife or multitool site anywhere on planet internet.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 06:06:50 AM
My daughter has the SS variety while my friend has the carbon.  My Mora is also carbon and like you I enjoy the upkeep of my carbon blades.  I got a sharpshooter sheath for my RAT3 as the plastic sheath is EH.  Its a cheap leather sheath but I like how it works with the blade. 

I was initially a non believer of Mora.  I thought it was hype until I was given the chance to own one.  Was I wrong in a big way.  Mora has got the formula of making some terrific knives down.  Kudos to them.   
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:32:54 AM
I'm considering adding two more Companions- one in stainless and one in carbon. I love my Companion HD in carbon so it's really just a decision on whether or not I want another two 2.5mm Moras or one 3.2mm (which I generally prefer, especially if it's not full tang like Garberg).

But that's the great thing about Mora- you can't go wrong.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 07:47:54 AM
There such great little knives,me and my daughter's love our Moras,my youngest now has a older blue handled 511,I prefer the guard on that for safety and my other daughter now uses the 746 as comfy and also had a small guard both these are SS so easy to maintain as they don't think about wiping water off etc  :D I prefer no guard and have used classic type since the 80's, usually a #1 but since Gaute sent me a 2/0 this has become my main carry, there are so many Moras on the market, one for everybody  :tu: hereis a pic of my favourites including the pass around Bushcraft Triflex I'll test out this week
2017-07-11 11.57.35.jpg
* 2017-07-11 11.57.35.jpg (Filesize: 334.56 KB)
2017-07-11 11.56.41.jpg
* 2017-07-11 11.56.41.jpg (Filesize: 189.83 KB)
2017-07-13 13.13.07.jpg
* 2017-07-13 13.13.07.jpg (Filesize: 342.15 KB)

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 07:54:34 AM
Zed- great idea on the custom sheath for the Mora 2000! I guess I didn't think of doing that because the knife itself is so inexpensive (as are most Moras). It's actually worth the investment in a sheath for a Mora- even if you wear one out, you can just get another.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 08:22:10 AM
Zed- great idea on the custom sheath for the Mora 2000! I guess I didn't think of doing that because the knife itself is so inexpensive (as are most Moras). It's actually worth the investment in a sheath for a Mora- even if you wear one out, you can just get another.

Cheers mate,I got that Mora from Dave Canterbury in a trade ,I actually don't mind it's original sheath but I fancied trying a kydex sheath,this one cost me £25 off eBay, I mainly neck carry it but it came with a belt attachment that I fitted incase  :D

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 10:27:11 AM
Mora simply has a lot of value for money. Will the basic models do absolutely everything? No, but no cutting tool will. At least not to a satisfactory level, much less some optimal level.
Just be careful and don't let the mysticism pull you in. Can't summon dragons with a Mora. Well maybe Nidhogg but for that you need mead, a longship and a few successful raids and honestly who has the time for that. Well except Aleph and Gareth
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline this_is_nascar

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 12:58:18 PM
Allot of people have carrying the new smaller Eldris model.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 03:39:53 PM
I've been shuffling my EDC folding knives lately. I primarily carry a PM2 and now a Yojimbo 2. Both are nice and sharp with typically smooth Spyderco action. I also carry my Swiss Champ or Explorer Plus SAK.

All that said, I also like having a stout one-handed opening blade on me for grunt tasks that come up during the course of the day. The SAK takes two hands and I use but don't abuse my Spydercos, preferring to keep them relegated to slicing and dicing. So I've been in the hunt for a folder with a sharp but thicker blade, maybe half tanto or some variation. Or maybe something like a serrated Delica, or mini-Griptilian.

Then, on a hike today, it hit me- I always carry one of my Moras with me while hiking and it occurred to me that a fixed blade, simple, reliable beauty like Companion or Companion HD is what I need (and a handful of which I already have)! I love Moras and I carry them often, so why not just do so in the role mentioned above?! One handed "opening..." Check. Durable... Check. Quality/value ratio that guarantees I'll use the knife, even for grunt work... Check.

I may pick up another Companion or HD just because. But as a member of the Mora Club, I thought I'd share this story because we already know Moras are great.

:2tu: Good for you!

I hardly have any locking knives. Typically, if a job seems a little heavy for a slippy, I'll go straight for a fixed blade knife. I hate to see people beating the crap out of folders, and wish they would go and get a proper knife.  :twak:

I have several cheapo sheath knives that I don't mind using hard. Moras, Cold Steel, and a couple of others. Not only is it better risking spoiling a £15 knife than a £50+ knife, it's also safer too. Knives are generally a lot easier to replace than fingers  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline fivesense

Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 06:05:19 PM
My Mora stable includes Companion, Companion HD, Bushcraft Black and Orange, one of the original 2.5mm Bushcrafts, Garberg, and Eldris. Eldris is the one that I haven't quite found the niche for just yet, but I began to think last night that maybe it does fit the role I mentioned at the outset of this thread. The size is a little confusing because it's as thick as Garberg's handle but stubby, and the existing sheath doesn't allow for belt wear (I'm not likely to wear on my neck during a regular day). In its sheath, it's too fat for comfortable front pocket carry. I've started to see some Eldris sheath mods out there.

But ultimately, Companion (and HD) are so light and simple, and I'm one of those that actually likes the cheap factory Mora sheaths. Easy for belt of pocket clip wear. And at $13-$20 USD, it's truly a compelling option.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 08:28:22 AM
Hello all!

I'm about to get my first Mora soon, a 2017 Basic 511 in carbon steel. I'm thinking of giving this to my wife for her use around the kitchen. Is it suitable for kitchen use-- cutting vegetables, meat, etc? If so, how often will I sharpen it and oil the carbon steel?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 08:42:01 AM
Hello all!

I'm about to get my first Mora soon, a 2017 Basic 511 in carbon steel. I'm thinking of giving this to my wife for her use around the kitchen. Is it suitable for kitchen use-- cutting vegetables, meat, etc? If so, how often will I sharpen it and oil the carbon steel?

Personally for food prep I would get a SS Mora as easier to maintain ,but that said if you clean and dry your carbon blade it should be ok,if oiled use a veg based oil due to food prep  :tu:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 08:45:02 AM
Hello all!

Personally for food prep I would get a SS Mora as easier to maintain ,but that said if you clean and dry your carbon blade it should be ok,if oiled use a veg based oil due to food prep  :tu:

Thanks, Zed! I agree with the SS for kitchen, but carbon is my only choice for now. I ill use veg based oil for maintenance. How often do you think it needs to be sharpened if its only for regular light kitchen duty?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 08:56:06 AM
Hello all!

Thanks, Zed! I agree with the SS for kitchen, but carbon is my only choice for now. I ill use veg based oil for maintenance. How often do you think it needs to be sharpened if its only for regular light kitchen duty?

No problem mate,a light stropping after use will keep it hair popping sharp  :tu:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 09:00:44 AM
Hello all!

No problem mate,a light stropping after use will keep it hair popping sharp  :tu:

that I can manage  :D :cheers:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 19, 2017, 09:15:36 AM
Hello all!

that I can manage  :D :cheers:

:salute:

hr Offline styx

Reply #18 on: August 19, 2017, 10:01:32 AM
Check out the Classic line as well. Those can be very handy in the kitchen.
Also don't forget to enlist in the Mora club. Uncle Gareth wants you to enjoy a Mora

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,67811.870.html

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 10:58:37 AM
Check out the Classic line as well. Those can be very handy in the kitchen.
Also don't forget to enlist in the Mora club. Uncle Gareth wants you to enjoy a Mora

https://forum.multitool.o....php/topic,67811.870.html

thank you,styx! I do indeed plan to join and post a pic of my 511 as my first post there when I get my 1st Morakniv next month  :cheers:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 11:32:56 AM
Just be carefull as they are addictive  :facepalm:
2017-08-12 14.19.22.jpg
* 2017-08-12 14.19.22.jpg (Filesize: 325.84 KB)

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #21 on: August 19, 2017, 12:35:12 PM

Uh-oh. I have just started getting the SAK fever and I don't think my system (and spouse!) can handle another disease :dwts: :surrender:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 01:23:14 PM

Uh-oh. I have just started getting the SAK fever and I don't think my system (and spouse!) can handle another disease :dwts: :surrender:

Don't worry they give up in the end  :rofl:

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #23 on: August 19, 2017, 01:29:35 PM

Don't worry they give up in the end  :rofl:
How I imagine you right now :rofl:

hr Offline styx

Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 01:42:48 PM
yep, you're smurfed

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #25 on: August 19, 2017, 01:48:24 PM

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #26 on: August 19, 2017, 03:15:33 PM
Don't listen to the fear mongers  :D It's perfectly doable to own a Mora without getting addicted  ;)

I have two. I have a carbon steel Miki which lives in the toolbag, and a bright orange Hi Vis which gets chucked in the bag when out walking. I have another couple of puukkos too, but tend to only use one of them (because it was my first ever fixed blade). These three meet all my needs with Scandi grinds, though they are not my first choice when doing food prep. I prefer a hollow grind or flat grind for food prep, and also something that comes forward of the knuckles so that more of the blade is in play on a chopping board. The Boker+ TUF and Cold Steel Roach Belly are my go to knives for food prep (the Roach Belly sometimes edges out the Hi Vis Mora in my hiking bag if I'm taking food that needs preparing/processing). Occasionally I'll go old school with a Nowill carbon steel knife, and have been known to use a CS Bushman on occasion too  :whistle:

Moras are great budget knives (the more basic models), and I think this is why I am so comfortable owning just two. The two I have work so well, I simply don't need any more. In fact I gave away the others I had as they weren't getting used.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #27 on: August 19, 2017, 03:33:41 PM
Don't listen to the fear mongers  :D It's perfectly doable to own a Mora without getting addicted  ;)

I have two. I have a carbon steel Miki which lives in the toolbag, and a bright orange Hi Vis which gets chucked in the bag when out walking. I have another couple of puukkos too, but tend to only use one of them (because it was my first ever fixed blade). These three meet all my needs with Scandi grinds, though they are not my first choice when doing food prep. I prefer a hollow grind or flat grind for food prep, and also something that comes forward of the knuckles so that more of the blade is in play on a chopping board. The Boker+ TUF and Cold Steel Roach Belly are my go to knives for food prep (the Roach Belly sometimes edges out the Hi Vis Mora in my hiking bag if I'm taking food that needs preparing/processing). Occasionally I'll go old school with a Nowill carbon steel knife, and have been known to use a CS Bushman on occasion too  :whistle:

Moras are great budget knives (the more basic models), and I think this is why I am so comfortable owning just two. The two I have work so well, I simply don't need any more. In fact I gave away the others I had as they weren't getting used.

I'm slowly realizing that it seems like what Victorinox is in the pocket knife market, Morakniv occupies the same space in the fixed blade space. Both offering global standard quality at reasonable prices.

It's too early to say, but I may end up with 2-3 this year, especially since Morakniv is available locally. I really don't need a bushcraft tool, but it will be as part of my disaster preparedness kit. Right now, I'm thinking a model higher than the 511 and the Eldris  :whistle:

But I'll first enjoy that 511 when it comes....or ask my wife how she will like it  :dd:

hr Offline styx

Reply #28 on: August 19, 2017, 07:35:03 PM
The more inexpensive Moras are easy to own and great knives to experiment with. Now the Kansbol, Garberg and Bushcraft Black do enter the range where you've got more competition from other makers and other designs. So you're very on point with the Vic comparison. A lot of those traditional inexpensive folders simply work. They aren't fancy and one's pride of ownership comes from very personal reasons.

Just don't forget that a lot of the mysticism of Mora comes from the fact that they put a 22° edge angle (11 per side sometimes also written as 11dps) while most other manufacturers put a 40 or even 50° angle. Some of the sharper knives I've tried out had a microbevel at 30 which still does make a difference.
Another thing is that the single bevel saber grind (scandi) should in theory exceed at shallow cuts. I can't really say how much that theory is proven since a bunch of us are testing slightly modified Moras, but with carrots and similar things you might notice a difference between a Mora and something very thin like a Vic or an Opinel.

I've went into a bit more detail since I got no idea how much you know and what your experience is so pardon me if I've said the things you're already fully aware of.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #29 on: August 20, 2017, 03:02:37 AM
The more inexpensive Moras are easy to own and great knives to experiment with. Now the Kansbol, Garberg and Bushcraft Black do enter the range where you've got more competition from other makers and other designs. So you're very on point with the Vic comparison. A lot of those traditional inexpensive folders simply work. They aren't fancy and one's pride of ownership comes from very personal reasons.

Just don't forget that a lot of the mysticism of Mora comes from the fact that they put a 22° edge angle (11 per side sometimes also written as 11dps) while most other manufacturers put a 40 or even 50° angle. Some of the sharper knives I've tried out had a microbevel at 30 which still does make a difference.
Another thing is that the single bevel saber grind (scandi) should in theory exceed at shallow cuts. I can't really say how much that theory is proven since a bunch of us are testing slightly modified Moras, but with carrots and similar things you might notice a difference between a Mora and something very thin like a Vic or an Opinel.

I've went into a bit more detail since I got no idea how much you know and what your experience is so pardon me if I've said the things you're already fully aware of.

I'm embarrassed to admit this, styx, but my technical understanding of a knife is really limited to what's printed on its packaging box, i.e., blade length, overall length, material, etc.  :think:

So you dove into knowledge depth about knives that I can't swim into. But after reading your post above, I get this impression that Morakniv really approached knifemaking from a scientific perspective, which is good . Also, I actually contemplated getting a basic Opinel as a kitchen knife for my wife and I'm encouraged to know that the sandi grind is theoretically better than an Opinel.   :tu:

For now, I'm just hoping that the 511 carbon will be immensely better at food prep compared to the garden variety cheap knife she's using right now. My ulterior motive here is to soften her opposition to my growing knife addiction.  :whistle:

Thanks for the education, styx!  :cheers:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 03:04:54 AM by an0nemus »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44