Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's a good mess kit?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
What's a good mess kit?
on: July 16, 2017, 08:48:01 AM
Well, just as the subject asks? As some of you know the little guy joined the Boy Scouts, I gave him one of my military canteens which has the cup and even stove that the cup sits on that all goes onto the thermal pouch, but what's a good mess kit? The original military one? Or something else like Coleman or light my fire? So I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What's a good mess kit?
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 09:22:37 AM
I haven't tried one myself but the Light My Fire ones are quite popular here. No pots in them though. I'm tempted to get one myself as I like how it all packs together.
http://lightmyfire.com/products/products/mealkit-20.aspx

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 11:20:47 AM
I've got a mess kit that I don't use much. In fact, I'm not sure I ever used it. It is a nesting, stainless steel kit by Century and includes 3/4 quart kettle with cover, 7 inch fry pan, 7 inch stainless steel dish and an 8 ounce plastic cup. I just opened the box and I seem to have misplaced the kettle, but I'll send it to you if you want it.
I'll include the kettle if I can find it.
P1110797.JPG
* P1110797.JPG (Filesize: 160.03 KB)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:29:48 AM by Alan K. »

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 12:54:47 PM
I'm not suggesting these are the answer, but some of them might be, the scout group I'm involved with have all liked various bits of it

1. Trangia alcohol stove and pot stand, inexpensive, simple and nothing to go wrong. Pack flat too and is lightweight

2. Tatonka stainless steel cup, meauring marks on the inside, can be used to cook in (at a push) fits on the end of a 32oz Nalgene bottle

3. Zebra Head 14cm camping pot stainless steel. just basically rocks and comes with a bowl

4. Enamelled stainless steel plate, bowl and cup. these cost me £3 each at a local camping shop and are bloody brilliant

I've got half a dozen plastic sporks in my bags etc, a pair of korean stainless steel chopsticks and cut down kitchen utensils and I'm good to go
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 04:07:26 PM
As much as I hate to recommend this, go to walmart and check their camping/hiking section. It seems that walmart marketing experts have picked up on the surge in backpacking. So now they are carrying all sorts of outdoor gear.
I often frequent their stuff for my needs. My m no ultralight Backpacker or an everyday user. So most of their stuff I can use.
There were several mess kits to be had pretty cheap. And really depends on your serving size or pot size.
Personally I find a small pot for boiling water sufficient. But the scouts may require a pan to fry in.
This is what we be used since 2005. Coleman Max anodized cook set. I paid $19 for it at Walmart. Paid $5 for the Coleman camp pan too. It only goes with me when it's more than just the wife. Or if we are cooking larger food items.

This is the complete kit

Unpacked

All that I usually carry. Pot for water and pan as a cup to drink from.  Plus an eating utensil.

I don't think they still
Make this set but I've seen similar ones at Walmart and other outdoor products suppliers. I'd add a collapsible plate/bowl and cup. And for the stove, I think the micro canister type are very simple and easy to use.
Stanley and MSR make affordable cook sets.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 06:34:11 PM
I haven't tried one myself but the Light My Fire ones are quite popular here. No pots in them though. I'm tempted to get one myself as I like how it all packs together.
http://lightmyfire.com/products/products/mealkit-20.aspx
I have one of their first setups, I don't remember what's in it, just the cutting board, old mug, and I don't know what else, oh but of course the spork! I can say I've never used it, the sporks on the other hand, yes, me and the little guy used them for like over a year straight cause we hate the taste of metal utensils. That new 2.0 kit looks great that's got everything! The only thing is you can't cook with it because it's all plastic, although a lighter carry! I do have that military pot that the canteen sits in but still, since he joined the Boy Scouts I have a feeling I'm going to get stuck into doing things.. they gave him a very plain mess kit, it doesn't do anything, it's more or less just a full size plastic plate, bowl, and utensil set, I don't remember a cup, I didn't get much time with it, all I know is I had to quickly take the label off before throwing it in his bag before and handing it off. I fig maybe a military kit would be cool since you can cook on it plus the plate also splits the food? I just don't know, I have a feeling I'm going to get pulled into doing things, not that I don't like camping, I just have to play it very carefully because of my medical..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 06:40:26 PM
http://lightmyfire.com/pr.../products/mealkit-20.aspx
I have one of their first setups, I don't remember what's in it, just the cutting board, old mug, and I don't know what else, oh but of course the spork! I can say I've never used it, the sporks on the other hand, yes, me and the little guy used them for like over a year straight cause we hate the taste of metal utensils. That new 2.0 kit looks great that's got everything! The only thing is you can't cook with it because it's all plastic, although a lighter carry! I do have that military pot that the canteen sits in but still, since he joined the Boy Scouts I have a feeling I'm going to get stuck into doing things.. they gave him a very plain mess kit, it doesn't do anything, it's more or less just a full size plastic plate, bowl, and utensil set, I don't remember a cup, I didn't get much time with it, all I know is I had to quickly take the label off before throwing it in his bag before and handing it off. I fig maybe a military kit would be cool since you can cook on it plus the plate also splits the food? I just don't know, I have a feeling I'm going to get pulled into doing things, not that I don't like camping, I just have to play it very carefully because of my medical..
JR

I don't know about the US but we don't issue mess kits in the UK any more, the mains use heater bags, also heats the water for a wet (brew)
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 07:15:37 PM
http://lightmyfire.com/pr.../products/mealkit-20.aspx
JR

I don't know about the US but we don't issue mess kits in the UK any more, the mains use heater bags, also heats the water for a wet (brew)
Idk, you know more then me! I'm going to guess the one in charge is going to do the cooking and you got to have a plate for food? But still, I think you should have the right setup so if you did a little trip yourself your set?
JR

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 07:19:50 PM

Idk, you know more then me! I'm going to guess the one in charge is going to do the cooking and you got to have a plate for food? But still, I think you should have the right setup so if you did a little trip yourself your set?
JR

Not with the Brit ratpacks, eat out of the bag. You get a canteen and a cup only.

The Swedish Army use these
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:26:20 PM by Smashie »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 16, 2017, 07:46:57 PM

JR

Not with the Brit ratpacks, eat out of the bag. You get a canteen and a cup only.

Yeah I saw those, more or less the same as the light my fire, but rectangular rather then triangle, no?
JR

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 08:04:19 PM

JR

Yeah I saw those, more or less the same as the light my fire, but rectangular rather then triangle, no?
JR

Yes, out of all the military kit I've used though the Swedes don't mess around and it all seems to be very good quality, can't speak for LMF I've never used anything of theirs other than sporks

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 08:23:29 PM
Seems to me, you don't know what the kid needs, because you don't know what he's liable to do. Turn that to your advantage, assume the worst.

Assume everything will get chucked on a fire at some point, or on a gas stove. Metal stuff only, including single walled metal cup. Don't worry about trying to get him "good" stuff, just make sure it's heat proof, and drop proof, and hasn't got delicate non-stick coatings or any of that crap. Part of the kid's progress will be getting stuff wrong, which means something somewhere is going to get lost, broke, or stolen. I would seriously just get the cheapest ugliest bombproof thing that you can get for the lowest possible cost. Just make sure everything is flame proof and will survive a night outside in the wind and rain, getting trodden by other scouts (chancess are, they'll do more damage to his kit than he will), and he can scrape his name/initials on it somewhere.  :D

Over here I'd look at army surplus stores, or ebay for second hand kit. Mess tin or pot should be good enough for cooking in and eating out of. Will the lid act as a plate, or do you need an enamel one? Wooden utensils char not melt if left in a hot pan  ;) Enamelled mugs are great too as Smashie pointed out. If you're worried about him burning his lip, get one of those silicone charity bracelet jobbies round the lip   ;) After a while, he'll get the feel for it and start tapping you for other kit, so the more smurf proof the original stuff is, the longer you can stall him for buying something else  :P :D I'd even look at metal water bottles. Walmart might do those cheap too.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 08:32:13 PM
Good point, I was thinking maybe one of those old school military kits,,
JR

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 02:07:52 AM
Some of them are aluminium, which I avoid, whether the stories are true or not.
If plastic I make sure it's BPA-free (although whether it's BPS-free or not remains unknown).

So are we talking about cookware as well as plates bowl cup utensils?
I like kits that cleverly stow away (mine are individual things made by Sea to Summit i think, need to find a way to pack them them together neatly).
That Swedish one (rectangular) looks neat. :dd:

I guess make sure it's all not too heavy as he will have to carry it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 02:24:22 AM
If plastic I make sure it's BPA-free (although whether it's BPS-free or not remains unknown).

I like kits that cleverly stow away (mine are individual things made by Sea to Summit i think, need to find a way to pack them them together neatly).

I don't think I'd want aluminum either, I really don't know what is needed, maybe for his age only the simple plate, bowl, cup, and utensils? But I would rather him have something that can also be used to cook if need be, the canteen I gave him has the cup that it sits in and can be cooked but still?
JR

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 02:49:07 AM

I don't think I'd want aluminum either, I really don't know what is needed, maybe for his age only the simple plate, bowl, cup, and utensils? But I would rather him have something that can also be used to cook if need be, the canteen I gave him has the cup that it sits in and can be cooked but still?
JR

Yeah, either that or a stainless steel billy (with a lid) would be a start. You can cook in it, boil water for a brew.... light and takes up virtually no space if you pack things inside it it. As long as it has handles or other safe way of handling when hot.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 03:41:46 AM

JR

Yeah, either that or a stainless steel billy (with a lid) would be a start. You can cook in it, boil water for a brew.... light and takes up virtually no space if you pack things inside it it. As long as it has handles or other safe way of handling when hot.
A billy? Never heard of that. I always wanted to make a updated style of the military canteen style. A stainless nalgene(canteen), with the folding handle cup, then a cut to fit coffee can(stove) to go around that, all fit in a 4x10 insulated molle carry. I have everything except the cup, just never got to getting one.
JR

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 04:18:10 AM
Ha must be a kiwi thing... it's just a pot, usually with a paint can - style wire handle and a lid. A pot with a folding handle would be much better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billycan
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:19:50 AM by Syncop8r »

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 04:36:10 AM
Ha must be a kiwi thing... it's just a pot, usually with a paint can - style wire handle and a lid. A pot with a folding handle would be much better.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billycan
Yeah I see that!
JR

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 04:35:46 AM
For the plate and skillet I would honestly recommend a real US surplus mess kit. They're getting a bit harder to find in good shape but they're still rather common and mostly inexpensive, plus they're functional (if basic) and durable. I used one on my trek to Eagle. In fact I was issued mine by my troop as a tenderfoot and used it all the way through. Heavy and basic but functional and tough as nails so it won't get broken or tweaked too bad in a pack. For a cup, perhaps consider something Lucite or otherwise plastic. He won't be able to boil in it, but if he's got a canteen cup anyway he's got a good pot to boil in over an esbit stove or a pocket rocket. The Lucite cup will be light and durable to make up for a bit of the mess kit weight. Light my Fire makes good light plastic sporks, but everyone's preferences are different. Don't count on the included "knife" though. It's useless. A pocket knife  (as any good Scout should have on an outing anyway) will be all sufficient for food cutting needs.

For a stove, it depends on what he needs it for. If it's just a water boiler, a basic alcohol stove or an esbit pocket stove will be fine. Esbit is light, compact, won't leak, and is reliable in cold temperatures. If you need temp variation a canister stove is nice, but they may be a bit finicky in the cold (in my experience anyway) and the canisters are heavy and bulky. MSR makes a good light canister stove called the pocket rocket, but the canisters are still heavy and bulky even if the stove isn't.
Your mileage WILL vary. He will form his own opinions based on what his troop likes to do. Ours liked boating so compact was paramount but light wasn't terribly important. Backpacking troops will make him want something real light real quick.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 05:09:56 AM
I started out with the old self-contained aluminum mess kit, Plate, skillet, small billy, & plastic cup when I entered Scouting. Definitely workable and good to learn with. In Arizona we cooked over camp fires. When the family moved to Colorado as I got older, I was taught/learned to use stoves. By the time I was in high school it was a SVEA gas stove w/ a Sigg Tourist set...the best things I ever used. I used that combo for 10yrs through my S&R days...both in the summer and dead of winter in snow caves.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:24:15 AM by strmliner »
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 05:53:04 AM
I just remembered, in Cubs (before you're old enough for Scouts here) we used to make Hobo Stoves out of a big tin upturned with a hole at the (now) bottom for feeding wood in and holes in the (now) top for letting the smoke out.

* 9b9115fe9d09a42e675faf6961649353.jpg (Filesize: 10.76 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 06:42:01 AM
Thanks for the info guys!
JR

england Offline Kev D

Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 11:17:57 AM
+1 on the enameled cup, plate & bowl. I have the same ones in blue. They are really good, though you gotta watch the cup with hot drinks, the lip of it gets rather warm and I've been caught out a couple of times when not paying enough attention.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 05:33:40 PM
+1 on the enameled cup, plate & bowl. I have the same ones in blue. They are really good, though you gotta watch the cup with hot drinks, the lip of it gets rather warm and I've been caught out a couple of times when not paying enough attention.
I always wanted one of those for myself(in blue!) but everyone I saw was chipped or felt cheap. The only hot drink he likes is hot coco, but he only likes it warm! Can you cook with those? Like boil water?
JR

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 07:39:54 PM
I always wanted one of those for myself(in blue!) but everyone I saw was chipped or felt cheap. The only hot drink he likes is hot coco, but he only likes it warm! Can you cook with those? Like boil water?
JR
They're more durable than a cheap plastic cup but they do have the possibility of chipping if one isn't careful.
If it's decent quality there's no reason why you can't cook with it. They make coffee percolators and camping pots and such out of the stuff. Heck, for that matter Le Creuset is basically enameled cast iron if I'm remembering correctly and it's very well regarded for cookware.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 10:05:22 PM
JR

I've never tried cooking with them so I'm not sure. They are very cheap at only £2 each in my local shop.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #27 on: July 19, 2017, 02:46:45 AM
So, let me be a slightly down voice.... Check with his troop leaders, or with council. He's going to camp, right? Find out if he even needs one or if he'll be eatting in the mess hall every day. If he needs one, find out what he's likely to actually need. Odds are, he'll need a bowl, a cup, and some utensils unless they are cooking by patrol, in which case your troop might have heavier camping gear already for troop or patrol level use.

But if he needs one, don't buy it at the council store. (That BSA logo adds 50%. And don't tell my housemates I said that- they are both active leaders.) What you might find is that someone in the troop has older gear they are willing to part with. Kinda like what I think Alan was talking about.

My favorite mess kit is the old French military one- aluminum, yes, but built tough and very capable. And very hard to find now. Most of the ones at wally world are fine for starting off, particularly the ones made by Stanley with Stansport not too far behind. The one that is utterly horrible is the old USGI one unless you're using it for frying- other than that, it's useless, it's more a folding cafeteria tray which is exactly what it was supposed to be.

At the very least, he needs a mug (Walmart has a knock off of the GSI/Olicamp design that is ok and it's five bucks), silverwear (cheapie stainless steel, two sets are like a buck), and a canteen (nalgenes rock, but Powerade and Gatoraid liter bottles are the same size and free- narrow neck is suboptimal for field use but...). If you want a bigger pot, Stanley makes a 24oz stainless mug/pot that the GSI/Olicamp-style cups nest under it, or a canteen cup.

But also... check the thrift stores. You can buy a one liter sauce pan with a lid for a buck at Good Will- sure, it's used, its 40 years old, but it's two or three bucks. Or he can make his own- check your library, they may have a book called Wildwood Wisdom which has a huge section on making your own gear.The older green Fieldbook was good, so was the first edition of the Handbook (current generations of the books aren't as useful). I mean, the only real skills you need to make your own gear is a source of raw material and some skill- I can't for the life of me imagine where he'd find an adult who knows how to work with metal....

As for the blue enamel coffee cup, maybe rock boiling.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:48:37 AM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: July 19, 2017, 03:23:54 AM
Holy crap, that took me like 15min to read. I have one of the nalgene and also a pouch, I'd so like to get a nesting cup, heck I have a coffee can that's 75% done to make into a stove.
  They gave him a very cheap plastic, plate, bowl and utensils set, I'm guessing that's all he needs, but if he's got to pack up and or backpack he might as well just take something out of the kitchen. Fig some mess kit would make it easier and last longer, and if I got to go on any trips I'll have to fig something out..
JR
IMG_8103.PNG
* IMG_8103.PNG (Filesize: 234.72 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: July 19, 2017, 03:58:41 AM
This pretty much gives a description on canteen and stove..
JR
IMG_8110.PNG
* IMG_8110.PNG (Filesize: 195.41 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%