Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can the scales be reattached, after being removed?

it Offline shadowrider

I mean without the use of glue, just snapping them back on.
Someone told me, for example, that it is possible to do that if you heat the scales up with a blow drier, before taking them off. I think he was referring to nylon scales only, though.
Do you guys have any "method" for this?
Also, I would expect the situation being different between Vic and Wenger since they use different means of attaching scales. Anyone has experience with that in Wengers?

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: Can the scales be reattached, after being removed?
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:50:21 AM
Yes,  they can be reattached without glue (99% of the time)
the other 1% is  just bad luck.

they do press back on,  takes a fair amount of force, but can easily be done
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 03:53:45 AM
Heat helps, like with a hair dryer.  They will soften for popping off and pressing on more effectively.  :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 09:49:48 AM
Heat helps, like with a hair dryer.  They will soften for popping off and pressing on more effectively.  :cheers:
Your are more likely to be able to reattach them if you keep them hot while prying them off.  :cheers:
Try hot (Too hot to touch, but not boiling) water.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 11:52:06 AM
Your are more likely to be able to reattach them if you keep them hot while prying them off.  :cheers:

+1 on the boiling water for removal. I've had the most success with re-attaching scales removed this way vs prying them off or using a hair dryer/heat gun.

For re-attaching, I use hand pressure to seat them as much as possible and then lightly compress the SAK in a padded vise to finish the job.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 09:41:49 PM

I also use the hot water method (it's also a great way to begin cleaning a used knife). Don't use boiling water (140 deg) is plenty warm enough; just put in the hot water for 5-10min, then gently pry up. Clean 'em up as needed, then dry. Then put them on; using a bit of pressure, snap them on (a vice works great, covering with a few layers of cloth or paper towels will keep them looking nice).

Good luck!  :tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

it Offline shadowrider

Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 04:41:57 AM
Thanks for the answers, folks!  :cheers:

us Offline aluminated

Can the scales be reattached, after being removed?
Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 04:51:03 AM
I just performed a scale swap: old, faded, scratched red for new, vibrant, glossy red. I used the hot water method.
A Warning: it was too-hot water that caused most of the fading in the first place.
Also, I did not need to use a vise or any other clamping device, only my fingers.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:58:18 AM by aluminated »

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 11:08:36 AM
I really never agreed much with the hot water approach, at least very hot water...  :think:
Bathtub warm is Ok but hotter than that will risk damaging the scales, either warping or getting dull and faded color. Same goes for the hairdryer it it is too hot...

I honestly believe no matter what method you use you will always rip a bit of the cellidor holes for the rivet's because those bushings have a sharp "lip" that's made for digging into the plastic and hold it tight, when you pull it out it will always rip a bit of plastic off no matter what. It may pop in again with "apparent" tightness, but i personally always add a tinny amount of glue on the hole's sides (walls) not enough that it would drip to the bottom of the whole though. Just enough to seal off the groove made by the bushing's lip, so when it pop's back it will hold it rock solid again.

From my (small) personal experience, the old solid scales chip a lot easier on the rivet holes when popping them off than the newer hollow ones.
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 04:30:23 AM
I'm completely new to this but I was able to swap scales on 4 SAK's with no issues today. (They're all pluses now, and nicely colored, yay!)

I also did not use any heat, thought I would have tried if I had difficulty, but it went pretty smoothly.
I started with the old SAK first which had the scratched and worn scales that I knew I were going to be thrown out - as long as everything went according to plan of course!
I started by removing the tweezers and tooth pick then took a pretty small screw driver which actually sort of fit into empty holes. Inserted it carefully and then when I had the flat tip near a rivet I gave it a twist.
I had a tad more issue putting on the new scales - I really wasn't able to do it adequately by hand but found my small electronics vice (with rubber guards installed) worked perfectly at crimping the new scales on.
4 SAK's done, no issues  :cheers:

us Offline aluminated

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 05:16:00 AM
A word of advice to those that follow: remember to take the pin out of the old scales if so equipped. You don't want it to get bent or lost.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 06:08:18 AM
I'm completely new to this but I was able to swap scales on 4 SAK's with no issues today. (They're all pluses now, and nicely colored, yay!)

I also did not use any heat, thought I would have tried if I had difficulty, but it went pretty smoothly.
I started with the old SAK first which had the scratched and worn scales that I knew I were going to be thrown out - as long as everything went according to plan of course!
I started by removing the tweezers and tooth pick then took a pretty small screw driver which actually sort of fit into empty holes. Inserted it carefully and then when I had the flat tip near a rivet I gave it a twist.
I had a tad more issue putting on the new scales - I really wasn't able to do it adequately by hand but found my small electronics vice (with rubber guards installed) worked perfectly at crimping the new scales on.

:hatsoff:   Congratulations!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 08:50:03 AM

The heat was only if you wanted to reuse the scales.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 10:08:21 AM
+3 (?) for the boiling water. Done it a number of times with my 111mm's and haven't broken them!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD