Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Minimal SAK challenge thread!

josh83 · 117 · 4681

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Minimal SAK challenge thread!
Reply #90 on: August 13, 2017, 05:35:42 AM
Bluegrass State is the official "thing" for Kentucky though :D :tu: I feel TN is more the birthplace of country music in general and more than just bluegrass :salute:

Great pics Josh :cheers: :like:

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #91 on: August 13, 2017, 06:42:17 AM
Bluegrass State is the official "thing" for Kentucky though :D :tu: I feel TN is more the birthplace of country music in general and more than just bluegrass :salute:

Great pics Josh :cheers: :like:

Awl the states try to steal North Carolina's glory lol. ... Ohio wants to take flight from us.  Kentucky wants to take bluegrass from us. Illinois wants to take Michael Jordan from us,  Texas wants to take barbecue from us.  :facepalm:

The whole world wants to take Fred Durst from us ... you can have him  :tu:

Sorry for the rant.

This thread is awlsome.  GO JOSH GO!!!  :tu: :cheers:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #92 on: August 14, 2017, 02:17:48 AM
Had to follow up...

After doing a little more reading from different sources, there is no one true home to bluegrass other than  "Appalachia"  with genre-defining artists coming from Louisiana to Massachusetts.  Virginia has a BUNCH of the earliest groups... as well as KY, NC, TN & WV.
I went to a college called Appalachian State University in Boone, NC where traditional bluegrass is very popular and maybe I was being Boone-centric, so I apologize for my less-than-informed opinion that was partially in jest.   :cheers:

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #93 on: August 14, 2017, 02:23:31 AM
Dude, you gotta share the grass....

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #94 on: August 14, 2017, 02:45:04 AM
Dude, you gotta share the grass....

Tell me about it  :D

Offline josh83

Reply #95 on: August 14, 2017, 03:58:18 AM
Had to follow up...

After doing a little more reading from different sources, there is no one true home to bluegrass other than  "Appalachia"  with genre-defining artists coming from Louisiana to Massachusetts.  Virginia has a BUNCH of the earliest groups... as well as KY, NC, TN & WV.
I went to a college called Appalachian State University in Boone, NC where traditional bluegrass is very popular and maybe I was being Boone-centric, so I apologize for my less-than-informed opinion that was partially in jest.   :cheers:

Interestingly, the bluegrass refers to an actual type of grass that grows here. When it gets tall in the fields and the wind blows it, it has a distinct blue hue. Most people from other states aren't aware of the origin of the nickname. And no need for apologies what so ever, but absolutely accepted none the less. Have a great night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline josh83

Reply #96 on: August 14, 2017, 04:00:06 AM
It's hard to believe I'm on day 26 of this adventure! I thought a throwback to my son's 10th birthday would be a good one for today. This is the origin of our "pirate knives".

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #97 on: August 14, 2017, 07:15:44 AM
Had to follow up...

Interestingly, the bluegrass refers to an actual type of grass that grows here. When it gets tall in the fields and the wind blows it, it has a distinct blue hue. Most people from other states aren't aware of the origin of the nickname. And no need for apologies what so ever, but absolutely accepted none the less. Have a great night!

I had indeed heard tale of the fabled Kentucky blue grass but have never seen it with my own eyes.  :cheers:

Offline josh83

Reply #98 on: August 15, 2017, 09:56:22 AM
Here is another throwback photo. This is my now reground oc pioneer before I tried to bring it back to life. I'm still considering putting these scales on a new pioneer x. That would pretty much be my dream knife.

Offline josh83

Reply #99 on: August 16, 2017, 07:21:37 AM
Day 28. This is my work lunch utensil dream team. A snow peak titanium spork and my sak!

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #100 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33:33 AM
Here is another throwback photo. This is my now reground oc pioneer before I tried to bring it back to life. I'm still considering putting these scales on a new pioneer x. That would pretty much be my dream knife.(Image removed from quote.)

That'd be sweet.  I wish alox scales were as easy to switch as celli's  ...

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #101 on: August 16, 2017, 09:49:05 PM
Here is another throwback photo. This is my now reground oc pioneer before I tried to bring it back to life. I'm still considering putting these scales on a new pioneer x. That would pretty much be my dream knife.

Uhhhh...is there a story or two that go with that knife.

Offline josh83

Reply #102 on: August 16, 2017, 10:34:36 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Uhhhh...is there a story or two that go with that knife.

It was part of a  buy one get one free eBay sale basically. There was a lot of two oc pioneers for sale. I bought both to get the other one.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #103 on: August 16, 2017, 11:58:07 PM

It was part of a  buy one get one free eBay sale basically. There was a lot of two oc pioneers for sale. I bought both to get the other one.

Interesting. Somebody clearly loved that knife the way Steinbeck's Lenny loved his mouse.

Offline josh83

Reply #104 on: August 17, 2017, 12:00:23 AM

Interesting. Somebody clearly loved that knife the way Steinbeck's Lenny loved his mouse.
What you can't see in the photo was that the tip was significantly bent. I had to grind it down pretty significantly to get past the bend. I was able to straighten some of it, but most of it had to go.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: August 17, 2017, 12:03:17 AM
Had to follow up...

I had indeed heard tale of the fabled Kentucky blue grass but have never seen it with my own eyes.  :cheers:

It grows quite well in Colorado...we had it in our yard growing up.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

Offline josh83

Reply #106 on: August 17, 2017, 07:41:45 AM
So much paperwork! At least I have a good fan.

Offline josh83

Reply #107 on: August 18, 2017, 01:49:37 PM
After a long night at work I'm finally able to close this out with day 30! Thank you all for your kind words and discussion! It's been a lot of fun. I figured what better way to finish this off than with my personal favorites!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #108 on: August 18, 2017, 09:44:58 PM
Awarded.   :tu:   Great thread mate, congrats on the badge.

Offline josh83

Reply #109 on: August 18, 2017, 10:20:23 PM
Awarded.   :tu:   Great thread mate, congrats on the badge.
Thank you!

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #111 on: August 19, 2017, 12:50:56 AM
 :like:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #112 on: August 19, 2017, 01:32:24 AM
 :tu: :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #113 on: August 19, 2017, 01:33:12 AM
Great pics :cheers: :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #114 on: August 20, 2017, 04:45:36 AM
Also congrats on the badge :like: :like:

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: August 20, 2017, 07:56:00 AM
Congratulations on your badge! Been a nice challenge to follow

It's not failure if you learn something from it

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: August 20, 2017, 09:03:38 AM
Just came across this and a fun thread to read. Nice touch to get your son involved too, as he's obviously interested in this hobby (for some reason mine aren't). Congratulations on the badge!

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56