Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fixing notch damages in the pliers cutter area?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Fixing notch damages in the pliers cutter area?
on: August 03, 2017, 12:23:58 AM
After my little test cut project here earlier I ended up with some damages on various tools.

Now I figured I'd have a go at repairing those, but before reinventing the wheel it might be worth asking if anyone else done this already?

I basically consider first grinding off any material sticking out on the inside surface. Then

1. Either grinding down from the outside flat until the notch is gone (difficult on the wave as that flat doesn't go all the way to the outside surface), or
2. Giving some very delicate welding a try and then grinding off any excess.

Edit: If anyone happens to know exactly what material Leatherman uses for the pliers that might come in handy.
IMG_7532_PlierTest.jpg
* IMG_7532_PlierTest.jpg (Filesize: 156.6 KB)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 12:26:29 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Re: Fixing notch damages in the pliers cutter area?
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 12:54:39 AM
For something that minor, I'd just file out the indentations that interfered with the opening and closing of the pliers. So long as that inside surface is relatively smooth, I'd leave the rest alone. They aren't going to affect their wire cutting ability.

With my LMs, I'll just run them until they don't really function well anymore, then send them in. And that takes a long long time. I think I've only had to have LM replace a plier head due to wire cutter damage twice in the 9 or so years I've used them.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Fixing notch damages in the pliers cutter area?
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 01:07:03 AM
Pragmatically that does make a lot of sense. If this was a daily work tool I would do just that.

I guess my motivation here is partially to make it go away to see how that is best done, and ideally reduce the chance of repeating similar damage later.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD
31%