Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which El DC?

Poll

Which SAK should be carried?

OC Pioneer (Red)
4 (7%)
Compact (Black)
13 (22.8%)
Pikachu (Yellow Passenger w/ 93mm awl instead of small blade)
5 (8.8%)
Climber Plus (Black)
9 (15.8%)
Farmer (Silver)
6 (10.5%)
Tourist (SwissAir ad)
2 (3.5%)
Wenger Soldat ('01)
4 (7%)
Birth Year Victorinox Soldier
6 (10.5%)
Other/Protest Vote
8 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 38

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Which El DC?
Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 05:15:27 PM
So what you're saying is that for you there is no wrong answer ... in which case it doesn't matter. Pick any one at random, and carry it for a couple of weeks. Make note of what annoys you, or times when you needed something that the tool didn't offer. If life does chuck such a lesson at you, heed it and switch to a knife that reflects the lessons learned so far.

When you eventually end up torn between just the Compact or Climber Plus, remember to say "you were right, Al"  :D

Or you could just start carrying the Climber and be done wih it.  ;)

That works too  :tu:

:D

but but but... alox...   saw .......  magnifying glass     .... yellow ....   birth year.... :D

Yawl are probably right, I went with the SI/manager today and feel good about it being Wenger Wednesday and awl... I hope you guys don't feel like you wasted your time.   :D

I
WP_20170719_07_53_06_Pro (3).jpg
* WP_20170719_07_53_06_Pro (3).jpg (Filesize: 349.27 KB)
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 05:16:34 PM
New page space pirate banana dance

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 06:01:04 PM
Us?  :ahhh Waste time wondering what to carry?  :ahhh

Seriously though, I find it comes back to the individual tools. In my case, having 2 blades, full size Vic scissors, and proper openers ( the combo tool sucks, lets face it), is not negotiable for any extended carry. The Pioneer X doesn't have the small blade, so I compromise using the awl. The Compact doesn't have the very versatile opener layer, so I swear at the combo tool. The combo carry with a 58mm works, but I often find the tiny scissors and blade lacking. The 4th layers, even the Fisherman feel bulky to me anymore, so while the Explorer Plus is a sweet carry, how often do I need that bulky 4th layer. It's really a no brainer for me anymore, but there has been some experimenting and excessive thought that has gone into it. In the end, if I don't have time to think about it, the Climber is an easy choice (boring perhaps, but easy), and the extra tools the Climber has only enhance it's versatility.  :salute:

Again, this is just me, YMMV.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:03:42 PM by twiliter »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 06:18:38 PM

Seriously though, I find it comes back to the individual tools. In my case, having 2 blades, full size Vic scissors, and proper openers ( the combo tool sucks, lets face it), is not negotiable for any extended carry. The Pioneer X doesn't have the small blade, so I compromise using the awl. The Compact doesn't have the very versatile opener layer, so I swear at the combo tool. The combo carry with a 58mm works, but I often find the tiny scissors and blade lacking. The 4th layers, even the Fisherman feel bulky to me anymore, so while the Explorer Plus is a sweet carry, how often do I need that bulky 4th layer. It's really a no brainer for me anymore, but there has been some experimenting and excessive thought that has gone into it. In the end, if I don't have time to think about it, the Climber is an easy choice (boring perhaps, but easy), and the extra tools the Climber has only enhance it's versatility.  :salute:

Awl you said makes sense.  :tu: :cheers:

So what you're saying is that for you there is no wrong answer ... in which case it doesn't matter. Pick any one at random, and carry it for a couple of weeks. Make note of what annoys you, or times when you needed something that the tool didn't offer. If life does chuck such a lesson at you, heed it and switch to a knife that reflects the lessons learned so far.

When you eventually end up torn between just the Compact or Climber Plus, remember to say "you were right, Al"  :D

Yes, No, it doesn't matter.   But it means everything.   I like your suggestion and I think it will be helpful. Numbers from a hat type of sitch so I don't psych myself out...  Don't know if I've mentioned, but I work in psychology so, I probably spend too much time thinking about the psychological constructs and implications of my daily SAK choice  :facepalm:.    Cutting out this daily process could allow me to have more free time, less stress/indecision, and give me a better perspective of what I truly want to carry with me each day.

The  Compact is currently winning... with the BY SAK, Climber Plus, and Pikachu close behind. 

Keep the votes coming!

:cheers:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 07:06:47 PM

Awl you said makes sense.  :tu: :cheers:

Yes, No, it doesn't matter.   But it means everything.   I like your suggestion and I think it will be helpful. Numbers from a hat type of sitch so I don't psych myself out...  Don't know if I've mentioned, but I work in psychology so, I probably spend too much time thinking about the psychological constructs and implications of my daily SAK choice  :facepalm:.    Cutting out this daily process could allow me to have more free time, less stress/indecision, and give me a better perspective of what I truly want to carry with me each day.

The  Compact is currently winning... with the BY SAK, Climber Plus, and Pikachu close behind. 

Keep the votes coming!

What type of psychology? I did two years training in hypnopsychotherapy, and while it was very interesting, the client work I did taught me that I wasn't ready to have people bringing their problems to me everyday, so I never pursued the other three years  ::) I wasn't very Rogerian in my methods either  :P Person Centered was a bit timid for me (I disagree that everyone knows what the underlying problem is), and I preferred the more dynamic approaches. I may revisit it again at some point in the future.

There's only so much worthwhile analysis that you can do before you put your theories to trial, and that's where the fun lies. I would suggest keeping the Manager as a constant companion throughout the journey, but wherever possible, don't use it. For many people the Manager would handle the bulk of their needs, so it's a good back up to have while you're exploring what works best for you on the larger knives. Try to get by with just the "main" knife, and make note of how many times you have to fall back on the Manager, what the reason was, and how much of a PITA it would have been if you didn't have anything to get you out of the mire.

You may well end up with a different conclusion to me, because we walk different paths in life, but having the Manager there as back up will take a lot of headache out of the journey.

Above all, enjoy it - Swiss knives are supposed to make your life easier. If you're getting all stressed out and flustered about the "what ifs", you're doing it wrong  :D

Good luck, and keep us informed  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline twiliter

Reply #35 on: July 19, 2017, 07:33:34 PM
I could squeak by with a Signature to be honest. There, I said it.  :P

I think it comes down to what I want to carry vs. what dedicated tools I want to have laying around. I have a flashlight laying around, pens, MT's with openers closeby, etc., so what would be handy to have in my pocket depends on that cutoff point. I have also flown with a Jetsetter, and also with no tools on me, so there's that too. Lots of guys carry only a small traditional peanut or folder with nothing but a small blade or 2, but I don't care to hunt around for everything I need when I could have it all in one tool. Also I think a good stand alone works better for me than 2 or more because it cuts out that decision too.  :salute:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #36 on: July 19, 2017, 07:47:13 PM
I honestly don't mind the combo tool in the urban environment so as far as a stand alone I'm gonna stick by the compact as making the most sense.

I'll tell you what the compact lacks tho... The wicked snap of the OC Pioneer and Soldier.  The farmer & soldat have a nice snap, too, but not like those older models.

Snap.

us Offline twiliter

Reply #37 on: July 19, 2017, 07:56:05 PM
I honestly don't mind the combo tool in the urban environment so as far as a stand alone I'm gonna stick by the compact as making the most sense.

I'll tell you what the compact lacks tho... The wicked snap of the OC Pioneer and Soldier.  The farmer & soldat have a nice snap, too, but not like those older models.

Snap.

I use the can opener a lot, and the minimalist challenge showed me that I need to stick with the Pioneer or Spartan because of that. Also, the Spartan was better for me because of the small blade which I use a lot also, but I know not everyone does. Sounds to me like you might try a Pioneer X for EDC, nice scissors, rugged, and very, very snappy.  :tu:

I did try the Compact during the minimalist challenge, and I agree it's great for urban carry if all you need the combo tool for is a caplifter, and you don't use a small blade often. There again this is why the Climber wins for me on a daily basis.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:00:54 PM by twiliter »

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #38 on: July 19, 2017, 08:00:51 PM
What type of psychology? I did two years training in hypnopsychotherapy, and while it was very interesting, the client work I did taught me that I wasn't ready to have people bringing their problems to me everyday, so I never pursued the other three years  ::) I wasn't very Rogerian in my methods either  :P Person Centered was a bit timid for me (I disagree that everyone knows what the underlying problem is), and I preferred the more dynamic approaches. I may revisit it again at some point in the future.

Above all, enjoy it - Swiss knives are supposed to make your life easier. If you're getting all stressed out and flustered about the "what ifs", you're doing it wrong  :D

Hypnosis psychotherapy, heady stuff my dude. I'm more on the counseling level behavior modification and have worked in various social services, including foster care and residential services  on the administrative end.  What I'm doing now could be called behavior modification motivational interviewing, and some music therapy 1:1 w/ SMI individuals.... Closer to the person centered approach. 

Believe it or not, sometimes we talk about Swiss Army knives... :D

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #39 on: July 19, 2017, 11:55:29 PM

Snap.
The snap on my amefa DAK is... WOW!
It feels like it could chop a veggie with the snap.
And yet, its not a nail breaker.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #40 on: July 20, 2017, 12:05:45 AM

Hypnosis psychotherapy, heady stuff my dude. I'm more on the counseling level behavior modification and have worked in various social services, including foster care and residential services  on the administrative end.  What I'm doing now could be called behavior modification motivational interviewing, and some music therapy 1:1 w/ SMI individuals.... Closer to the person centered approach. 

Believe it or not, sometimes we talk about Swiss Army knives... :D

Cool!  :tu: I'm sure it can be used as a good metaphor   :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #41 on: July 21, 2017, 10:30:17 PM
El compact 2 whole days in a row...

And OMG, it's raining in AZ!!!
WP_20170721_13_22_07_Pro (4).jpg
* WP_20170721_13_22_07_Pro (4).jpg (Filesize: 379.54 KB)

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: July 22, 2017, 12:10:28 AM
El compact 2 whole days in a row...

And OMG, it's raining in AZ!!!

:tu:

And yes, it's the monsoon season for Arizona right now...   :ahhh
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #43 on: July 23, 2017, 05:06:50 PM
Voted the OC Red for you... carry the BY SAK on special occassions...

Also voted other as there is no Yeoman and Urban Pioneer on your list :pok:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #44 on: July 23, 2017, 05:13:19 PM
Voted the OC Red for you... carry the BY SAK on special occassions...

Also voted other as there is no Yeoman and Urban Pioneer on your list :pok:

Thanks for voting, J-Man!

I guess I'm preserving my Yeoman and I don't own/not really interested in Pioneer X. 

Today I heard the call of the Farmer....  Mostly due to the trapped-in-a-box scenario  :D
WP_20170723_07_59_23_Pro (2).jpg
* WP_20170723_07_59_23_Pro (2).jpg (Filesize: 458.11 KB)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 05:15:14 PM by El Corkscrew »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #45 on: July 23, 2017, 05:19:11 PM
Farmer X then...

Oooops... I said it... I fear Mags will show up shortly...

As for me... I kinda figured out the must have tools on my SAK(s)... Scissors and inline phillips... hence yeoman and urban pioneer... when I can/feel like carrying 2 layered once, its the backtool phillips (compact tinker, golfer 91mm and 84mm)... And I only carry mods... :cheers:

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #46 on: July 23, 2017, 05:22:43 PM
Farmer X then...

As for me... I kinda figured out the must have tools on my SAK(s)... Scissors and inline phillips... hence yeoman and urban pioneer... when I can/feel like carrying 2 layered once, its the backtool phillips (compact tinker, golfer 91mm and 84mm)... And I only carry mods... :cheers:

If I could do mods, I'd probably only carry them too...  But I must admit, I  LOVE collecting any 1-3 layer SAK made pre 08....
I've got Pikachu to help me relate to you tho  :D

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #47 on: July 23, 2017, 05:27:18 PM
Farmer X then...

If I could do mods, I'd probably only carry them too...  But I must admit, I  LOVE collecting any 1-3 layer SAK made pre 08....
I've got Pikachu to help me relate to you tho  :D
Ah Pikachu... First time I joined MTO (a year ago), Pikachu was the first mod I saw here with an inline awl... and those yellow cellidor... What a beut... :whistle:

Offline ccl2087

• New User
Reply #48 on: July 23, 2017, 10:32:49 PM
I voted for the Compact for you. It's got the scissors you use often, and if you're okay with the combo tool it's a nice comfortable carry.  Personally I rotate fairly randomly through a Spartan, a Tinker, a Recruit and a Pioneer with a classic on my keyring for the scissors.  I should probably checkout buying one of the larger models with scissors and/or a saw, but that's a decision for another day...

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #49 on: July 23, 2017, 10:38:19 PM
I voted for the Compact for you. It's got the scissors you use often, and if you're okay with the combo tool it's a nice comfortable carry.  Personally I rotate fairly randomly through a Spartan, a Tinker, a Recruit and a Pioneer with a classic on my keyring for the scissors.  I should probably checkout buying one of the larger models with scissors and/or a saw, but that's a decision for another day...

I've got a spare Climber fo free I can send you if you're stateside.

I think I've decided to take my panties off and start carrying my new Hunter Green Farmer I scored off Captain Spaulding.  Silver Alox seems so boring to me these days unless it's a Soldier.    It's funny how a different color can make you feel differently about the same model...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #50 on: August 24, 2017, 10:09:38 PM

I've got a spare Climber fo free I can send you if you're stateside.

I think I've decided to take my panties off and start carrying my new Hunter Green Farmer I scored off Captain Spaulding.  Silver Alox seems so boring to me these days unless it's a Soldier.    It's funny how a different color can make you feel differently about the same model...
For sure.  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: August 24, 2017, 10:56:59 PM
Carry them all, just assign one to each day of the week!  :D

Sounds good in theory... but I long for a monogamous fling ..
Well, with scissors and t&t on the keychain (58mm), I'd go for the Farmer.

I'm with Ronald on this. You have your scale tools and robust Farmer.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 11:01:52 PM by gene stoner »
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #52 on: August 25, 2017, 12:50:39 AM
By coincidence, that's exactly what I went with today for TLT   :cheers:
WP_20170824_15_35_48_Pro (5).jpg
* WP_20170824_15_35_48_Pro (5).jpg (Filesize: 181.44 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%