Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Plier cutting test

Vidar · 45 · 1591

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Plier cutting test
Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 03:50:00 PM
Thank you very much for all your hard work.  This is terrific information and helps us all when facing certain materials. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: July 22, 2017, 03:35:05 PM
Interesting article! Thanks for your test!! :cheers:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

es Offline microbe

• No Life Club
  • Yersinia Pestis & Campylobacter Jejuni!
Reply #32 on: July 22, 2017, 03:54:14 PM
Very nice test, but it needs to include pliers from Victorinox.
Can anyone attest to what they where able cut with the Vic Spirit? Else than electrical cable and a paperclip, I have not cut anything else with it.

Once you go black you never go back
@blackdiamonds_42

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 05:20:02 PM
I'm actually waiting for one of those to turn up in this establishments esteemed webshop - will be happy to try that one too when that happens.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:22:52 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 22, 2017, 09:09:30 PM
Well done and very interesting :like:
I'm curious about the failure of the Dime, Did the tool itself break? If the IDL T10 had enough leverage to cut a few of the items, I can't image the Dime has less leverage :think:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 10:41:00 PM
Well done and very interesting :like:
I'm curious about the failure of the Dime, Did the tool itself break? If the IDL T10 had enough leverage to cut a few of the items, I can't image the Dime has less leverage :think:

IDK about the IDL T10, but I broke my purple Dime trying to cut copper wire thinking it'd go through it effortlessly   :oops:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 22, 2017, 11:03:07 PM
IMO the Dime is garbage. I got one of the originals and the pliers failed cutting some thin, soft wire. It appears to be a design flaw as my LM Squirts, IDL T5 and mini True Utility pliers have handled nearly all the hand strength I can muster. It has really put me off of their brand as they haven't redesigned or discontinued a product that wouldn't stand up to the hand strength of a three year old. Leatherman gets taken to task for certain design issues, like the cuticle poking flat drivers on the Juice (which I consider to be largely user error, as it is simple to come at them with the side of your nail) yet Leatherman tools are generally quite rugged. I've almost pulled the trigger on a bladeless MP600 a few times but my experience with the Dime makes me back off each time. A company which knowingly sells a product with a gross design flaw is not one I want to do business with.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 23, 2017, 12:07:33 AM

The dime actually slid apart sideways for some things, and like the IDL didn't have the leverage for the harder things. If you look at the picture you can actually see the center of the plier has moved apart and not come all the way back again.

I really like the Dime concept and the compact design as such. (You can tell it has been used regularly). But the cutting action leaves something to be desired.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 23, 2017, 12:12:19 AM
Interesting, thank you :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #39 on: July 23, 2017, 12:38:32 AM
IMO the Dime is garbage. I got one of the originals and the pliers failed cutting some thin, soft wire. It appears to be a design flaw as my LM Squirts, IDL T5 and mini True Utility pliers have handled nearly all the hand strength I can muster. It has really put me off of their brand as they haven't redesigned or discontinued a product that wouldn't stand up to the hand strength of a three year old. Leatherman gets taken to task for certain design issues, like the cuticle poking flat drivers on the Juice (which I consider to be largely user error, as it is simple to come at them with the side of your nail) yet Leatherman tools are generally quite rugged. I've almost pulled the trigger on a bladeless MP600 a few times but my experience with the Dime makes me back off each time. A company which knowingly sells a product with a gross design flaw is not one I want to do business with.

The bladeless 600 has the crappy carbide cutters - I'd steer clear of those. Get a 600 that has standard cutters (be it blunt or needle nose - whichever is your preference), and modify it yourself. The 600 is a good tool. I have two of them (both modified). Like most tools out there, it has it's little niggles, but they can usually be ironed out with a little simple modding.

Oddly enough, your "A company which knowingly sells a product with a gross design flaw is not one I want to do business with" comment is how I feel about Leatherman. Personally I have had more disappointment with LM, but partly that's through having to pay a premium price for a tool I don't like. I'm not completely sold on everything Gerber, and there's a lot of their stuff I wouldn't go near based on past experience, but I do like the 400, 600, Diesel, Balance and EAB utility knives in their current lineup - and I personally have a Dime on my keys from when they first came out, and it's still working fine. As for LM, the only thing I would buy if I was starting all over again would be the Wave. I do like some of the older models, but I don't consider anything else in their current line up to be worth parting with my money (both in terms of design and QC). We all have our different acceptance criteria though  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 23, 2017, 12:44:38 AM
I've been reading here about the crappy carbide cutters and that too is a reason I've been reluctant. I'm not afraid of modding and perhaps I will give it a go. But if it fails while cutting a paperclip I'll be like :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #41 on: July 23, 2017, 09:57:33 PM

The bladeless 600 has the crappy carbide cutters - I'd steer clear of those. Get a 600 that has standard cutters (be it blunt or needle nose - whichever is your preference), and modify it yourself. The 600 is a good tool. I have two of them (both modified). Like most tools out there, it has it's little niggles, but they can usually be ironed out with a little simple modding.

Oddly enough, your "A company which knowingly sells a product with a gross design flaw is not one I want to do business with" comment is how I feel about Leatherman. Personally I have had more disappointment with LM, but partly that's through having to pay a premium price for a tool I don't like. I'm not completely sold on everything Gerber, and there's a lot of their stuff I wouldn't go near based on past experience, but I do like the 400, 600, Diesel, Balance and EAB utility knives in their current lineup - and I personally have a Dime on my keys from when they first came out, and it's still working fine. As for LM, the only thing I would buy if I was starting all over again would be the Wave. I do like some of the older models, but I don't consider anything else in their current line up to be worth parting with my money (both in terms of design and QC). We all have our different acceptance criteria though  :cheers:

I've grown also fond of Gerbers. I got rid of my 2 Dimes, those were really sub-par, but these years I've discovered Gerber's flagship models and couldn't be more surprised.
So much that I prefer it over Leatherman now. I'd take my LM except the Rebar and Crunch and take instead the Pro Scout (Wave, Blast), Diesel (OHT), MP800 (Surge, ST300) or MP700 (Wingman, Sidekick, Rev).
Only the Crunch is  better than the Gerber alternative (Grappler) but I like the Gerber blades, flickers and implements more, as a n overall tool they work better for me.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #42 on: July 25, 2017, 07:11:26 PM
Very through test and I am surprized by some of the results :ahhh Great work :like:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 26, 2017, 02:00:12 AM
The test has many materials and many different tools, but crucially only one tool of each model and only one try at each material. Thus there might be some slightly offbeat results; like the small Knipex universal doing better than the big one. I suspect my big one is below the usual standard. Then again, they shipped and sold it so in that way it is representative for what you as a buyer might get.

I have some thoughts about the causes of the more general difference between the normal pliers and multi-tools, but without more detailed tests that would just be speculation.

I guess my next project will be to repair the various notches of the pliers edges. Not sure if that would be more at home here or in the mod section. Or in the trash section if it turns out to be difficult. :-\
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #44 on: July 26, 2017, 03:26:11 AM
Either sub forum would be fine and good luck with getting the nicks and dings out :salute: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%