Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Neck carry

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Neck carry
on: July 19, 2017, 12:53:57 PM
I've occasionally posted pics of a neck lanyard that I carry with a few tools on. The lanyard was getting filthy, and was rattling too much since I added the magnifier, so I decided to remake it, and share pics of it in its new format.

Tools:
TU Eyeglass
Alox Rambler
Uncle Bills Silver Grippers
TU Telepen
Lightweight whistle
Klarus MiX6 Ti

The original purpose of the lanyard was to carry a few essentials when pocket space is minimal. However, it also has proved extremely useful as a backup layer to whatever carry I choose for the day, and rides very comfortably under a shirt. Sometimes your pocket tool doesn't quite meet the task, and it's nice to have extras to fall back on.

Another benefits is hands free use of the light. I can lift the lanyard out from under my shirt but leave it round my neck with the light turned on, and safely move about in the dark if there's a power cut, of if I'm visiting friends and don't know where the light switches are.

The mag glass and light do add some weight, but even so, you get used to the carry very quickly, and it doesn't feel cumbersome or uncomfortable. I could save a bit of weight moving to a Nitecore Tube, but I do like the durability and modes on the Klarus. The mag glass is starting to me more and more useful these days too, and is far better than the ones on the Swiss knives. So all things considered, I'm happy to carry that little bit extra weight.

I'm sure some of you will think this is a ridiculous carry method, but I am pleasantly surprised how well it has worked for me. I expect the lanyard in some form or other will be a regular part of the carry options for a long time to come.
IMG_20170718_231005_1067_800_edit.jpg
* IMG_20170718_231005_1067_800_edit.jpg (Filesize: 117.77 KB)
IMG_20170718_231430_1067_800_edit.jpg
* IMG_20170718_231430_1067_800_edit.jpg (Filesize: 83.71 KB)
IMG_20170718_232003_edit_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20170718_232003_edit_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 29.1 KB)
IMG_20170718_232235_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20170718_232235_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 50.38 KB)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline sak60

• No Life Club
Re: Neck carry
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:24:46 PM
 :like:
Neat set up 50, really like that eyeglass. I have a loupe that I use a lot but don't carry it around with me normally because of it's profile.
I will look at the specs for that torch, as it looks like a handy size. :cheers:
Andrew

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 04:14:09 PM
No hunting birds for you with those dangling, mate...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:34:55 PM
Very nice set up there mate.  :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 06:20:47 PM
I've occasionally posted pics of a neck lanyard that I carry with a few tools on. The lanyard was getting filthy, and was rattling too much since I added the magnifier, so I decided to remake it, and share pics of it in its new format.

Tools:
TU Eyeglass
Alox Rambler
Uncle Bills Silver Grippers
TU Telepen
Lightweight whistle
Klarus MiX6 Ti

The original purpose of the lanyard was to carry a few essentials when pocket space is minimal. However, it also has proved extremely useful as a backup layer to whatever carry I choose for the day, and rides very comfortably under a shirt. Sometimes your pocket tool doesn't quite meet the task, and it's nice to have extras to fall back on.

Another benefits is hands free use of the light. I can lift the lanyard out from under my shirt but leave it round my neck with the light turned on, and safely move about in the dark if there's a power cut, of if I'm visiting friends and don't know where the light switches are.

The mag glass and light do add some weight, but even so, you get used to the carry very quickly, and it doesn't feel cumbersome or uncomfortable. I could save a bit of weight moving to a Nitecore Tube, but I do like the durability and modes on the Klarus. The mag glass is starting to me more and more useful these days too, and is far better than the ones on the Swiss knives. So all things considered, I'm happy to carry that little bit extra weight.

I'm sure some of you will think this is a ridiculous carry method, but I am pleasantly surprised how well it has worked for me. I expect the lanyard in some form or other will be a regular part of the carry options for a long time to come.

8) pics  :like: :tu:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 07:25:29 PM
:like:
Neat set up 50, really like that eyeglass. I have a loupe that I use a lot but don't carry it around with me normally because of it's profile.
I will look at the specs for that torch, as it looks like a handy size. :cheers:

Cheers  :cheers: The TU Eyeglass is very useful, and not too bulky to lug around. It's also quite cheap and quite durable, so you don't have to be too concerned about it getting damaged. The torch is fairly basic, but compact and lightweight. IIRC the modes are something like 25lm/3lm/85lm/strobe the 25 or whatever it is that comes on first, is usually enough for most tasks, or for the hands free walking about

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 07:27:50 PM
No hunting birds for you with those dangling, mate...

You could hear me approaching from the next street when all the tools were hanging at the same level  :facepalm: Now that I've suspended the eyeglass higher, it's a lot quieter and makes no more noise than a bit of loose change in your pocket might  :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 07:28:17 PM
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:29:20 PM by 50ft-trad »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 09:22:11 PM
Nice Al!
Nate

SEND IT!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 11:13:49 PM
Cheers Nate!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 11:33:26 PM
Nice carry method Al  :like: :tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:44:27 PM
Cheers Steve.  :cheers:

Considering how popular neck carry is with fixed knives, I'm surprised more people haven't tried neck carry for other stuff.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 06:41:08 AM
I may have mentioned at some point that I used a lanyard waaaay back when.  I had a few odds and ends on it that came in handy.  I don't recall when I stopped carrying things on a lanyard tho. 

I like your set up.  A nice selection of tools that would otherwise be spread around in pockets.  A lanyard is very accessible and I agree with it not being cumbersome, at leas from recollection. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 06:30:40 PM
I may have mentioned at some point that I used a lanyard waaaay back when.  I had a few odds and ends on it that came in handy.  I don't recall when I stopped carrying things on a lanyard tho. 

I like your set up.  A nice selection of tools that would otherwise be spread around in pockets.  A lanyard is very accessible and I agree with it not being cumbersome, at leas from recollection.

Thanks buddy. What did you carry on yours?

Yes, we tend to focus on certain aspects of daily carry here, but my lanyard covers more than what we would normally discuss. A whistle could be quite useful at the boatyard, as it will carry further than shouting will, particularly when generators are running etc. I don't carry a Swiss pocket knife everyday, and even when I do, a couple of the Travellers don't have scale tools, so the tweezers are nice to have. Same with the pen if I'm not carrying a knife with plus scales or a dedicated pen. The Rambler and light mean that I'm covered for basics even if I don't pocket a larger tool, and the mag glass is proving useful more times than I care to admit  :whistle: As you say, it's nice to not be rummaging round in pockets for these things either  :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 06:33:34 PM
I should try making myself a lanyard.  :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 06:52:28 PM
I'm sure I don't need to remind you about pics when you've done it mate  ;) :cheers:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 09:48:24 PM
Isn't it par for the course?  :cheers:

On a totally unrelated note, I might be going to a clothing optional beach. Selfies anyone?  :whistle:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 09:51:57 PM
That's a nifty little set up, I know you've told me what it comprised but I just couldn't picture it.  :tu:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 11:05:42 PM
Isn't it par for the course?  :cheers:

On a totally unrelated note, I might be going to a clothing optional beach. Selfies anyone?  :whistle:

I'm sure dks would be extremely interested ... you might even meet him there  :rofl:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 11:08:48 PM
That's a nifty little set up, I know you've told me what it comprised but I just couldn't picture it.  :tu:

Cheers mate  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 11:21:19 PM
When I used a lanyard I had a couple safety pins, small nail clipper, small light ( probably a cheap incandescent ), I also had a whistle ( fox40 iirc ). 

I think a small whistle is a great item to have.  I can whistle super loud but I need to use my fingers.  Having a whistle means I can whistle hands free.  Seems lame but if you should need both hands or hands are in no shape to put into your mouth then why not have a whistle?  Also a whistle can be heard thru enormous crowds, think American football or whatever sport in your area.  They are a fantastic bit of kit IMO.   

Light.  To me its simple.  I don't like to be in any situation where I cannot effectively move about safely.

I have a breakaway lanyard that I think I'll square away.  I have some nice kit that would be great on a neck lanyard.  I have been struggling to decide where to put a few things and this couldn't have been brought up at a better time. 
When I get sorted I'll snap a picture needless to say.

:salute:   

Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 11:46:39 PM
Splendid  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 03, 2019, 04:37:39 PM
While I'm still a fan of neck carrying the array of tools in the opening post, I've decided to abort on the paracord lanyard. It was just getting too grubby, too quick, particularly in summer.

I decided to get a couple of cheap stainless neck chains off the bay, and transfer the items across to those. The longer one (28") has the tool cluster on, and the shorter one (24") has the True Utility eyeglass, and I've added an engraved medic alert pendant too. The two different lengths, mean they all sit pretty much as they used to.

This also now gives me the option to carry the whole array, or just the mag glass and alert pendant, depending on the movements of the day, and what else I might be carrying. Today, I just have the mag glass chain, and a Deluxe Tinker in the pocket.
IMG_20190803_152414_1067_800.jpg
* IMG_20190803_152414_1067_800.jpg (Filesize: 54.13 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: August 03, 2019, 05:04:09 PM
Nice solution mate.  :hatsoff:  I can't say I've ever tried neck carry for any length of time but the little I have done always felt a bit awkward.  Something you get used to I suppose.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2019, 05:09:02 PM
Nice solution mate.  :hatsoff:  I can't say I've ever tried neck carry for any length of time but the little I have done always felt a bit awkward.  Something you get used to I suppose.

Cheers Gareth.  :cheers:

It's not something I do all day, every day, put It's very useful when pocket space is limited, and you just need light tool carry. You do get used to it, yes. Occasionally when out and about, I've had to pat my chest to check I did actually put it on that day.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: August 04, 2019, 04:31:46 PM
Nice set again.  Since my last post I've used a SS ball chain to keep a small light and my PTC.  I've carried it quite a lot when I want the very basics.  I've gotten very used to the convenience.  My light is a Preon P0 so its very light and the size of a AAA cell.  I'll snap a pic later. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 05:05:02 PM
Nice set again.  Since my last post I've used a SS ball chain to keep a small light and my PTC.  I've carried it quite a lot when I want the very basics.  I've gotten very used to the convenience.  My light is a Preon P0 so its very light and the size of a AAA cell.  I'll snap a pic later. 

Sounds like a very capable neck carry to me  :tu:

se Offline Fortytwo

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 02:33:21 PM
Hmm, I wonder if this counts. I bought myself a fairly small silver chain (not the really flimsy ones but a still not too bling) to carry my wedding ring when working or otherwise doing stuff that might either damage the ring, me, or risk losing the ring. For quick jobs I just tie the chain into a larks head knot through the ring but when swimming for example I thread the chain through the ring.
The chain is just the same as my head-size so I can't really loose it from it going over my head  but it sits fairly deep and out of the way under a shirt.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 02:45:53 PM
I knew guys who also did that with their wedding rings.  I also knew a guy who after a few years of marriage and some really good cooking ( ok over eating ) wore his ring on a chain as it didn't fit anymore. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 03:44:09 PM
Heres my neck carry.  PTC and AAA foursevens light.  It easy to carry and has proved handy when wanting something simple/accessible.   
IMG_7680.jpg
* IMG_7680.jpg (Filesize: 163.16 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24