Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Assimilation! Uhm, I mean convincing others.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Assimilation! Uhm, I mean convincing others.
on: July 19, 2017, 02:21:29 PM
Got any stories where you were able to make other people appreciate or even love SAKs or multis in general?
Share them here!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Assimilation! Uhm, I mean convincing others.
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 02:21:39 PM
Yesterday a colleague of mine told me he soon leaves for an off grid camping trip.

I immediatly asked if he had some essentials, like a SAK, flashlight, lighter, ... he had NONE!

I offered him a heavily used but still decent Eco Spartan that I had in my workbag so he had what he needed and directed him to a local store that currently has dirt cheap powerfull LED lights in stock.

He told me he was going to carry the SAK from now on to get used to it and see how it goes.

This morning he proudly showed me the SAK he had with him.

After about 2 hours, he send me this image:

With the guidening text: my toolbag was way to far from me to my liking.

:assimilate:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 04:19:35 PM
Very good story  :tu: and great he has found a fondness for SAKs :like: :like:

The only person I have convinced ed to like MTs and SAKs as much as me is my nephew :tu: I gave him a Wave for Christmas when he was around 12 and now he is 19 and always has a LM with him :salute: I also got him (around the same time but later) alox Vic Electrician Plus for his birthday and he still carries that as well :cheers:

I have gifted most of my family and in-law family a knife or MT or both as well but he is the one that has taken to it the most  :tu:

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 04:39:56 PM
 My wife often scoffed at all my "gadget and knife "purchases. After I convinced her to carry a SAK classic on her key ring, she realized just how valuable they are to have with you. I have a few SAKs I leave in certain rooms for quick access. I often catch her snatching one up for a quick task.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 04:54:54 PM
The two Atex inspectors that work for me have been slowly worn down over the last 16 months of working for me. I have used my multi many times with them and they have also borrowed them at times. A month or so ago I brought in a selection for them to look at as they were thinking of finally getting their own. They have both now got Surge's  :tu:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 04:57:17 PM
Yesterday a colleague of mine told me he soon leaves for an off grid camping trip.

I immediatly asked if he had some essentials, like a SAK, flashlight, lighter, ... he had NONE!

:rofl:

Define off-grid  :think:

Good on you for helping out your fellow man  :tu:

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 05:01:20 PM
Does self-assimilation count?

The last episode of Alone convinced me I need an Alox with a saw

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 05:23:17 PM
I gave my mom a small folding knife.  It's a cheap little knife that I sell for a dollar each out of a big jar. She wouldn't take anything of higher quality or value because she didn't think she would use it anyway. At first she didn't want it and I heard, "what am I going to do with that?"  I told her you never know when a sharp knife will be useful, so she accepted it.  Now she keeps it in her purse and it has become indispensable to her.  She recently flew to visit relatives up north and proudly told me that she remembered to pack her knife in her suitcase so she wouldn't have it in her purse in the airport but would have it when she landed. Mom has even asked me, occasionally, for a few more because the "girls" at the club or the store saw hers and they all wanted one. So, if you visit south Florida be careful, because there's a bunch of little old ladies walking around with knives. :ahhh :ahhh

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 05:24:24 PM

:rofl:

Define off-grid  :think:

Good on you for helping out your fellow man  :tu:

No internet, no running water, no power...
:dd:

hr Offline styx

Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 05:28:37 PM
There are people who commented about their usefulness but either had some Chinese brand beforehand or didn't start carrying. Although I am thinking of giving a friend something to start him off
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ph Offline carboncopy101

Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 08:37:45 AM
Hmm. I assimilated an old friend of mine when we're camping and he forgot his can opener. Lent an extra SAK too teach him a thing or two about multitools and he used it the remainder of the climb. Guy was very grateful since it proved useful for everyday tasks.

Girlfriend was assimilated when i showed her how to use a knife as a hanger in bathrooms. She was very pleased about it that she carries a kershaw shuffle. Sad that she never liked the SAK since its a bit hard to open and how her nails get broken every time. Still, assimilated!  :cheers:

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 09:06:19 AM
I gave my wife a SpartanLite when we were dating. She has carried it ever since, but I never knew if she's actually used it in the last 14 years. She usually just rolls her eyes at me and my multis. So the other day I was changing the batteries for the light and asked. She expounded as to how she used the screwdrivers just the other day to assemble some shelves at work.

To my nephew I gave a Rev and he uses it all the time at work though admits to the never using the main blade. He carries a cheap 4in hunting knife for abusive cutting.
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 03:34:17 PM
The only person I know I have successfully converted is my wife. It started with a budget Kershaw for boxes, to a Mountineer for filing nails & wine, and now she carries a Leatherman Wave on her belt, and a Gerber EAB in her shirt pocket at work(with the Kershaw & SAK in her purse)! :assimilate:
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

Offline Sparkey

• Road Monkey
Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 04:04:26 PM
My wife carries a pink spartan I bought for her on an anniversary trip about 8 years ago. I don't know what she uses it for but she always keeps it in her purse!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 01:28:08 AM
I've passed out used SAKs, mainly Classics, for years, and occasionally get comments on how useful they are.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 08:11:05 AM
The only person I know I have successfully converted is my wife. It started with a budget Kershaw for boxes, to a Mountineer for filing nails & wine, and now she carries a Leatherman Wave on her belt, and a Gerber EAB in her shirt pocket at work(with the Kershaw & SAK in her purse)! :assimilate:

:2tu:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 08:11:42 AM
I gave my mom a small folding knife.  It's a cheap little knife that I sell for a dollar each out of a big jar. She wouldn't take anything of higher quality or value because she didn't think she would use it anyway. At first she didn't want it and I heard, "what am I going to do with that?"  I told her you never know when a sharp knife will be useful, so she accepted it.  Now she keeps it in her purse and it has become indispensable to her.  She recently flew to visit relatives up north and proudly told me that she remembered to pack her knife in her suitcase so she wouldn't have it in her purse in the airport but would have it when she landed. Mom has even asked me, occasionally, for a few more because the "girls" at the club or the store saw hers and they all wanted one. So, if you visit south Florida be careful, because there's a bunch of little old ladies walking around with knives. :ahhh :ahhh

:like:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 08:20:24 AM
When I moved in with my roommate I already had a small collection of tools.  I never thought to assimilate her or anyone for that matter.  One day I decided to get her a Spirit since I figured it was shiny and rather nice looking and maybe she'd put it in her desk at work.  I also got her a neat pocket knife.  Well she never really caught on till she got a Maxpedition pocket organizer to carry her stuff in.   That same year she got a Spyderco thats she's pretty much carries every chance she gets.  She wears dresses to work mostly.  Her Maxpedition organizer however is well stocked with a light, Spirit, spare battery, SAK, and other items. 

I also gave a friends son a MT, OG Supertool I think.  He was hooked ever since.  I try to give him a tool every Xmas and now carries a BO Rebar and Paramilitary 2.

My older daughter had a job where she was opening boxes so I gave her a Squeak.  Later a SAK and light.  She really used those tools pretty often then got another job.  I recently gave her a T10 and assorted other tools.  Not sure what she's carrying these days.  I do know that she went to a baseball game and forgot she had tools on her.  She did the right thing and walked back to her car rather than surrender them. 

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:27:44 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline MTG

Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 08:24:01 AM

:like:

+1

great story :)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 08:51:32 AM
A friend now proudly carried a Rambler after seeing mine and a guy in work just asked me to order him a Pruner after comparing mine to his box cutter and getting all excited. :) I've also persuaded a whole bunch of people to start carrying flashlights but that's a completely different story.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

br Offline BleaKrytE

• Hello world. I'm Vinícius!
Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 04:07:47 AM
I started assimilating my girlfriend back when I still only had a red little Classic and started getting into SAKs. I would talk about them every once and a while, so for my birthday she got me a Super Tinker. Sometime later I returned the favor and got her a pink Classic for her birthday. She uses it everyday to trim her nails and stuff.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Uni student, environmental activist (yes, I'm that annoying guy that mentions climate change every third minute), motorcyclist.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%