Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why a Spirit?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Why a Spirit?
on: July 20, 2017, 12:56:54 AM
 Have had Leatherman tools ever since the PST I found in a coupon exchange catalog. So grew up with one from my 30's to mid-50's. Tried a Gerber Pinchy once, and got pinched one too many times and it went flying never to be seen again. Then seen these imposter pliers with the bent handles. So have to ask, why & what makes them such a big deal?

Only thing I can see is it had a push can opener, which I liked since owning a Climber & Soldier. It's got an awl, so that's a plus. Past that I don't see where the money is at. So perhaps you Vic Spirit owners can tell me what is so special about the Spirit?

:salute:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Why a Spirit?
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 01:06:16 AM
From what I read, its the pure unearthly quality.
Fit and Finish.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:14:13 AM
the normal logical listing of tools does not educate the user to the amazing product that is the Spirit.

I was a big Leatherman guy too,  now I carry my Spirit every day, and LOVE IT!
If I can help, let me know 

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 01:31:50 AM
Fit and finish - you don't realise just how much precision can be engineered into a multitool until you handle a Spirit. Words can't explain it, you need to handle one, and then everything will make sense within seconds.

Tool density - The Spirit squeezes in more function per cubic inch than any other multitool. It's a real feat of engineering how they pack so much function into a tool that size. Crate opener, chisel, proper sharpened wire strippers and scrapers, flat drivers that actually fit into electrical terminals, proper files with real bite to them, It can fix stuff that other tools can't.

Reliability - it's Victorinox. There will be less variation between individual tools than with any other maker due to the tolerances they work to.

Looks - it's like the Aston Martin DB9 of pliers tools

Ergonomics - Yes the handles look wierd when it's closed, because it doesn't looked closed along the length of the tool, but in pliers mode it just feels "right". You'll wish all pliers felt as good as that in hand. Despite that, it's still comfortable in closed mode when using the other functions, without the annoying hotspots that can be found on other tools.

Honestly, Outback - you need to handle one. If you can find a B&M store with one in, or borrow one off someone else, it will all make sense when it's in hand. It's not a total panacea, some people don't like how it handles cutting fine stranded cable (one of the few tasks it doesn't excel at), and the scissors don't open that wide from the factory (but they are still excellent all the same). Some people just plain don't like how it sits on a table. But as regards a pocket tool which maximises versatility, I can't think of any that come close to the Spirit.

Try one  :pok: Thank me later  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 01:45:12 AM
There is nothing about the Swisstool or Swiss Spirit is better than a LM or a Gerber or a SOG. This is coming from a hard core Vic fan going way back to the SOSAK days. LM is what caused me to ditch the Swisstool and the Swiss Spirit. The Vic multiplier don't like oil, grease or and kind of dirt. Get one of them oily and you can't hold on to it. Saying that, they are nicely made. But they are two types of quality, rugged or precision. LMS are rugged, Vics are precision.  Both have there merits, both have there fallbacks.
To me, precision have more fallbacks. But, please, don't take my word for it. Try one yourself, you may love one and that is cool with me. Best of luck!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 01:47:22 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Why a Spirit?
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 05:27:58 AM
+1 on what 50ft-trad said...

Btw, noticed the plier heads?

There's a reason why the pivot construction is made the opposite of most plier head pivots (including LM's). Details here:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=2463.0

I've also seen a few Waves with twisted heads as a result of similar twisting action. :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:36:15 AM by jaya_man »

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 06:27:26 AM
Discussions like this make me pine for a Spirit X. It's in my to-buy-next list. What I don't understand is why doesn't Victorinox introduce pocketclips on their SwissTools. This is one drawback I see with the Spirit.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 07:52:48 AM
In my opinion, the Spirit has an unbelievable tool density in a small package.  That sold it for me.  Yeah, I find it too pretty to dirty up and yeah, it's gonna slip with grease and oil on the handles.   It may not be OHO but it can guarantee that you can reliably flip out any tool you want without the need to open an adjacent tool to make room for your finger.

The "butter blade" of the Spirit is also something unique -- it's got the plain edge where it counts and the serrations on where it's needed.  The pliers are comfy in hand, regardless of hand size.  It's a tool that won't intimidate those who see you using it. 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 08:36:04 AM
I had a spirit and like said it does pack alot of tools in its frame,it has vics presision and fit and Finnish,but for me personaly I prefer the wave ,I like lm's pliers over the vics blunted pliers, I prefer the waves diamond file, both these tools scissors arnt the best out there but are ok,I generally find vics drivers a bit slippy due to polished,I could go on and on ,but as said you need to handle one ,I'm also not a fan of its looks ,but hey I'm a LM guy  ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:05:16 AM by Zed »

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 03:02:10 PM
I agree with 50 on every thing he had to say about the Spirit, and would say the same plus for the Swisstool.   :tu: On the other hand I must take exception to the comments of Ducttape with reguards to the Swisstool.  I primarily work on commercial hot food equipment, greasy, oily, gritty, and carbon covered equipment.  The Swisstool is my single most used hand tool, only exceded by my multi-meter. For some reason I don't realy care for that shocking sensation from a live circuit. :ahhh
I personaly have never had a problem with the precision of the Swiswstool being hard to hold or otherwise.  I to came to the plier based MT via Leatherman, but after breaking the handles of three Waves just below the pivot point in one year I happened upon the Swisstool.  The Lm's all broke under what I consider to be "normal" use.  To be fair to LM I have broken a blade on my Swisstool, but that was absolutly abuse and not "normal" use.  Yes I admit I abuse my Swisstool.  I can not speek for how the Spirit handles under the greasy etc... conditions as it is a lighter tool than the Spirit and being so I would not put it through the abuse of what my job requires.  Even being a lighter tool I belive it superior to the Wave and most if not all LM products.  When is the last time you saw actual rust on a SAK.  :climber:  Ok I've said enough.
Mappy MT's to all.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 03:09:59 PM
I agree with 50 on every thing he had to say about the Spirit, and would say the same plus for the Swisstool.   :tu: On the other hand I must take exception to the comments of Ducttape with reguards to the Swisstool.  I primarily work on commercial hot food equipment, greasy, oily, gritty, and carbon covered equipment.  The Swisstool is my single most used hand tool, only exceded by my multi-meter. For some reason I don't realy care for that shocking sensation from a live circuit. :ahhh
I personaly have never had a problem with the precision of the Swiswstool being hard to hold or otherwise.  I to came to the plier based MT via Leatherman, but after breaking the handles of three Waves just below the pivot point in one year I happened upon the Swisstool.  The Lm's all broke under what I consider to be "normal" use.  To be fair to LM I have broken a blade on my Swisstool, but that was absolutly abuse and not "normal" use.  Yes I admit I abuse my Swisstool.  I can not speek for how the Spirit handles under the greasy etc... conditions as it is a lighter tool than the Spirit and being so I would not put it through the abuse of what my job requires.  Even being a lighter tool I belive it superior to the Wave and most if not all LM products.
 When is the last time you saw actual rust on a SAK. :climber:  Ok I've said enough.

Mappy MT's to all.

Last Sunday on  Al's Spirit 

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72951.msg1514750.html#msg1514750

:D

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 03:22:39 PM
I carry my multitool in my back pocket, and for having such a complete tool set the Spirit is comparatively slim and light which makes it very comfortable to carry.  I also find the butter blade to be very elegant. It is aesthetically pleasing to me and I prefer it to the blade in the X model. 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 03:59:20 PM
Aesthetics. Tool density.  Ergonomics.  I especially like the plier head bluntish tip.  There is no question this tool reeks quality.  The tool selection and density is wonderful.  I like having outside accessible tools.  When you select a tool and open it there is no clumping which seems like a small thing but really isn't.  If you love SAKs then you'll LOVE the Spirit. 

Many have had other MTs then finally got a Spirit only to abandon their previously used MTs.  To many this tool represents as close to MT perfection as they come.  I have nothing but praise for this and the bigger brother the Swisstool.         
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 04:18:37 PM
I personaly have never had a problem with the precision of the Swiswstool being hard to hold or otherwise.  I to came to the plier based MT via Leatherman, but after breaking the handles of three Waves just below the pivot point in one year I happened upon the Swisstool.  The Lm's all broke under what I consider to be "normal" use.  To be fair to LM I have broken a blade on my Swisstool, but that was absolutly abuse and not "normal" use.  Yes I admit I abuse my Swisstool.  I can not speek for how the Spirit handles under the greasy etc... conditions as it is a lighter tool than the Spirit and being so I would not put it through the abuse of what my job requires.  Even being a lighter tool I belive it superior to the Wave and most if not all LM products.
 When is the last time you saw actual rust on a SAK. :climber:  Ok I've said enough.

Mappy MT's to all.

Last Sunday on  Al's Spirit 

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,72951.msg1514750.html#msg1514750

:D

:facepalm: "When is the last time you saw actual rust on a SAK. [/b] :climber:  Ok I've said enough."

And the follow up statement in the same above linked Post....

50ft-trad......
Re: Victorinox spirit X size help
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 02:02:12 AM »
All it took to shift it was a small pinch of brasso metal polish wadding. The corrosion was very superficial, suck that I'm wondering if indeed it was fragments of other metal (similar to what Mechanickal said). Either way, it seems to be clear now, so we're back to how we should be  ;)
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 04:30:28 PM
Many things have been said, I won't repeat them, but let me add this

Form Factor:
The Spirit is longer and thinner when compared to others. The result is that
- that, combined with its smoothness (no sharp corners on a Spirit) makes it rides much more comfortable in your pants.
- all the small tools (screwdriver, prytool etc...) are longer and have better reach.
I carry a spirit with me every day and I never notice it there. The Signal on the other hand (the only similar sized MT I have carried for a while) was a lot more noticeable.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 05:45:16 PM
Many things have been said, I won't repeat them, but let me add this

Form Factor:
The Spirit is longer and thinner when compared to others. The result is that
- that, combined with its smoothness (no sharp corners on a Spirit) makes it rides much more comfortable in your pants.
- all the small tools (screwdriver, prytool etc...) are longer and have better reach.
I carry a spirit with me every day and I never notice it there. The Signal on the other hand (the only similar sized MT I have carried for a while) was a lot more noticeable.

Have you now ditched the Signal? I thought you'd got quite enamoured by it?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 06:20:39 PM
As alot of others stated:

You'll know when you handled one...

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 07:18:05 PM
what is so special about the Spirit?

1 - Victorinox has the best fit and finish of any MT maker.
2 - in its class, the Swisstool Spirit packs the most tools in the least space
3 - the tools open on the outside of the MT for easy access, with the side benefit that the plier handles are smooth and comfortable.

:salute:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Why a Spirit?
Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 09:12:25 PM
As alot of others stated:

You'll know when you handled one...
Yup. It has been my favorite since I bought it. Carrying any other MT is almost always just to switch it up for me at this point.

Edit: oh and also I will add that if you need to oho your pliers all you have to do is catch the "weird" open looking part on your belt or waistband. I do it while fishing all the time
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:13:59 PM by gdoolittle »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 09:45:55 PM
and it won't rust! Perfect companion for a Spyderco Salt

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 09:50:31 PM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 10:49:25 PM
Brother 50 does acknowledge that it may be the least rust resistant MT on the market.   :cheers:

us Offline G-Dizzle

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 10:51:09 PM
Maybe someone should bury it for a year as was done with the wave and gerber somewhere around here

us Offline aluminated

Reply #23 on: July 21, 2017, 03:40:46 AM
So what do you guys think about this list?

Swisstool cons:
No lanyard ring
No pocket clip
No OHO knives or tools (other than pliers)
No operation with gloves (other than pliers)
Damage to fingernails
Not user modifiable
Not user repairable

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: July 21, 2017, 04:18:43 AM

Swisstool cons:
No lanyard ring
No pocket clip
Damage to fingernails
Not user modifiable
Not user repairable

except it:
does have a lanyard attachment hole
knives and tools can be one hand opened
knives and tools can be used with gloves
doesn't have to trash your nails
can be modified
can be repaired

us Offline aluminated

Why a Spirit?
Reply #25 on: July 21, 2017, 05:13:51 AM

Swisstool cons:
No lanyard ring
No pocket clip
Damage to fingernails
Not user modifiable
Not user repairable

except it:
can be modified
can be repaired
I think we have different definitions or at least different perspectives for some of those terms. :D
Don't get me wrong - I am not nagging on the Victorinox products. I love my Swisstool and check the repair status of my Spirit at least twice daily. However, some of the design choices such as the location of the lanyard hole (is that the strange slot/hole thing?) have me befuddled.
 I'm sure I CAN open all the tools with a tooth too, but I'm not about to call the Spirit "OTO."
Same for the glove comment. Latex or nitrile, maybe. How about a cowhide work gauntlets?
Doesn't have to trash your nails...but probably will do some damage. I'd rather not have nail nicks for every tool, but that's personal preference, largely because I had a Swisstool with tools so hard to open that I broke a couple nails with almost every tool selection. Btw, I'm old(er.) I have very hard and strong nails.
There's nothing I could do to change that tool other than to send it away for repair so I resold it to a friend to be a user/beater.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:15:40 AM by aluminated »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 05:26:49 AM

Swisstool cons:
No lanyard ring
No pocket clip
Damage to fingernails
Not user modifiable
Not user repairable

except it:
can be modified
can be repaired
I think we have different definitions or at least different perspectives for some of those terms. :D
Don't get me wrong - I am not nagging on the Victorinox products. I love my Swisstool and check the repair status of my Spirit at least twice daily. However, some of the design choices such as the location of the lanyard hole (is that the strange slot/hole thing?) have me befuddled.
 I'm sure I CAN open all the tools with a tooth too, but I'm not about to call the Spirit "OTO."
Same for the glove comment. Latex or nitrile, maybe. How about a cowhide work gauntlets?
Doesn't have to trash your nails...but probably will do some damage. I'd rather not have nail nicks for every tool, but that's personal preference, largely because I had a Swisstool with tools so hard to open that I broke a couple nails with almost every tool selection. Btw, I'm old(er.) I have very hard and strong nails.
There's nothing I could do to change that tool other than to send it away for repair so I resold it to a friend to be a user/beater.

Yeah for sure.   :D   You didn't define the type of gloves, mods or repairs etc so I was cheeky.   :kirky:

us Offline aluminated

Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 05:29:25 AM
Again, I'm a fan of the Vics. All of the "cons" listed are far outweighed by the quality and features. :tu:

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 21, 2017, 05:52:35 AM
USE It Every Day for 6 weeks, then tell me about cons.
What most are calling cons are not even noticed if they actulay cary and use the tool consistantly.
Dr.  McCoy

us Offline aluminated

Reply #29 on: July 21, 2017, 05:55:10 AM
USE It Every Day for 6 weeks, then tell me about cons.
What most are calling cons are not even noticed if they actulay cary and use the tool consistantly.
I think I alluded to that above.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD