Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why a Spirit?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Why a Spirit?
Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 07:39:10 AM
  So it appears the Vic pliers-MT is slippery in comparison to a Charge TTi. CTTi I've not once had an issue with the tool being slippery nor hot when left out in the sun. So, wondering, is the blacked out version of the Spirit any less slippery?
  Was going to purchase the phillips/standard MUT bits (2) and put on in the K503x and other in with the CTTi to get past that, but LM only sells those in a set of 3 bits for $11 ... which seems a lot for wanting one bit (times 2).

What seems cool about the Spirit is the screwdrivers are long and slim enough to be used in some things, however lack the large bit driver that LM has. Although has an awl there's no hole for emergency sewing. and yes, I've used the awl w/ thread-loop before for emergency fabrication and repairs. There is a Vic tool called a Sailing Needle that I'd like to acquire and put into something. Unsure if that could be retrofitted into a Spirit X or not.
 And trying to cut an elongated hole in the awl might be very difficult unless someone has a precision cutting laser on hand.

Pocket clip, meh. I've maybe used a pocket clip a few times, but have one on the CTTi but it's there cause it was given to me. What the CTTi has is the ability to use a Charge Saw, although I don't see any more Charge Saws on MTO's Store anymore. :( Think the clip was a reminder that I had a saw that can clip in there. And for the lanyard loop, had removed the one in the CTTi before sending it in for final repairs, and LM stuck the thing back in there. /argh  Tried to use one with a PST II when fly fishing ... bad mistake. Did better with curved forceps and grinding a groove on the outer edge. :D

OHO tools are nice, though if a LM blade gets the slightest grime in there it is difficult to open. However broken nails ARE NOT FUN. The Wenger S557 broke many a nail; nut tool & phillips drive being the most notorious for that.

Vic Climber has an awl with a thread-loop. Why not the STool or Spirit too? Climber's Hook was another nail breaking SOB too.

I'd trade a Wenger EvoWood S557 for a Vis SwissTool if I had the chance. :D Would miss the walnut scales. - Never used the slip-joint pliers, but the self-sharpening scissors work well. Some don't like the rocking motion but I had no issues with that. Sure beats have that loose spring wire in there.  :P
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:41:04 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 07:45:40 AM
I forget the member but theres a video here on MTO showing him opening his Spirit with leather gloves on. 

He was real serious about the Spirit and bought them for his team IIRC.  I believe while the tool can be OHO lets not compare it to the OHO of say a Wave.  I'd imagine most people naturally will open the Wave one handed while use two with the Spirit. 

The only real issue I have with the Sprit is those scissors.  I am directly comparing them to my 91mm SAK.  In my use those scissors are ok but certainly not anywhere near 91mm SAK scissors. 

Other than that the butter blade is pretty darn nice.  I cannot speak to slippery cause I did polish my Wave  :whistle:.  I will say tho its certainly not going to be grippy in some circumstance.  If in fact they would be used in those circumstance so its probably a moot point. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #32 on: July 21, 2017, 08:08:44 AM
I love the Spirit, it has been with me for about 8 years (I think) and has held up through all kinds of dumbsmurfery. The scissors can be modified to make them open wider (main complaint in regards to 'em).
The slippery part does come into play if you have sweaty paws. But I've had that some issue with the LM Rebar BO and SOG Switchplier 2. For me it does carry better in the pocket than the other 2. Often to the degree that I even forget I have it in my EDC until I put my hand on it (again lucky thing that my first response is to pat my pockets and see if anything on hand can solve the issue)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline aluminated

Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 05:31:15 AM
I forgot to mention the tool I am most looking forward to using: the package opener! Though some use the butter knife tip to open packages and some call the package opener a "chisel/scraper," I know that I'll be using the package opener a whole lot...if I ever get my Spirit back from the repair center.

Reply #34 on: July 22, 2017, 07:15:51 AM
I forgot to mention the tool I am most looking forward to using: the package opener! Though some use the butter knife tip to open packages and some call the package opener a "chisel/scraper," I know that I'll be using the package opener a whole lot...if I ever get my Spirit back from the repair center.

Why did you send it in for repair? Guessing that the American repair facility was the previous Wenger repair center? Took me over a month to get the S557 repaired ... it had the most horrendous pliers ever. Think took 6 weeks and numerous email to get one back.

Not found any local stores that carry anything past Vic Classics. Might try Big 5 if I remember, but am on limited funds for a while yet.
¬ Outback in Idaho

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 10:09:21 AM

Why did you send it in for repair? Guessing that the American repair facility was the previous Wenger repair center? Took me over a month to get the S557 repaired ... it had the most horrendous pliers ever. Think took 6 weeks and numerous email to get one back.

Not found any local stores that carry anything past Vic Classics. Might try Big 5 if I remember, but am on limited funds for a while yet.

TBH this is one of the main reasons I stick with LM, I've only sent 2 tools in and turn around was 4-5 days, was doing maintenance job then so needed it back asap,for me another pro for LM  ;)

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 22, 2017, 03:49:39 PM
The outside access of tools is the big sell for me. The whole package just works. I think you need to fidget around and handle one to get it. Let me put it this way..I have almost carried a Spirit almost everyday sans for a day here or there due to not being able to take it somewhere. The only other MT w/pliers I own is an LM Crunch.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #37 on: July 22, 2017, 03:58:35 PM

TBH this is one of the main reasons I stick with LM, I've only sent 2 tools in and turn around was 4-5 days, was doing maintenance job then so needed it back asap,for me another pro for LM  ;)
Well over here it's the other way around...

I don't even know how to begin sending in a LM for repairs over here in Europe :ahhh
They're mostly sold through LARGE outdoor stores that aren't known for handling stuff like that.
I do have a client that sells them in his own store... should ask him how he handles repairs next time I'm there.

For Vic: I hand them in at a retailer so I don't need to send it to Germany (9 friggin €) and just wait for them to hand it along with their supplier.
This means it'll be gone for anywhere between 1-3 months but I've got plenty of backups.
I'm sure if I send it to Vic directly I'd get it back around 2 weeks later.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 22, 2017, 04:02:30 PM
How about this...pm coming your way 😉
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline aluminated

Reply #39 on: July 22, 2017, 04:43:30 PM

I sent the used tool to the Repair Center in Connecticut but I don't know where the Wenger place was/is. The pliers pivot was very sloppy, causing pliers tip misalignment, and one of the handle pivots was much looser than its mate. This, even though the tools were sharp and mostly unused and there was no evidence of abuse or damage other than the above-described symptoms.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #40 on: July 22, 2017, 04:55:07 PM
It's not entirely non-clumping.  Every time I open the scissors the small screw driver comes with it, but nothing else clumps. Also, if I don't notice the screw driver is out, I can still use the scissors without the screw driver causing any interference because it lines right up with the solid part of the scissors. It's still the best pliers based tool I own. :D

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #41 on: July 22, 2017, 06:54:30 PM
The Spirit is like Multitool Enlightenment, you will have to try one to see why.  :salute:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #42 on: July 22, 2017, 07:03:30 PM
Anybody seen the new design on the spirit scissor springs?

Nicos Doulas shared this in one of the fb groups

It still misses the mark for me... Oh please Vic, right handle should be over left handle like normal scissors... sigh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #43 on: July 22, 2017, 09:46:56 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

It still misses the mark for me... Oh please Vic, right handle should be over left handle like normal scissors... sigh

Maybe the scissors will open wider then before?
We'll have to see when a member here get's one..

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 11:42:15 PM

Interesting.  News to me and now I need one to look at.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: July 22, 2017, 11:54:41 PM

The one I have is the right side....and no they only open enough to cut a few sheets of paper at a time. The first week I got mine, I was able to cut the end of a leather belt off to reattach the buckle. So although they don't open wide the stregnth is there
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Why a Spirit?
Reply #46 on: July 23, 2017, 04:09:17 AM

From the pic, I think it does open wider... also from having did a little mod to my spirit scissors, I think it should... but not much wider...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 04:13:01 AM by jaya_man »

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #47 on: July 23, 2017, 04:10:48 AM

Me too... still not sold on the handles though :cheers:

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #48 on: July 23, 2017, 09:57:01 PM

Have to try to understand    :pok:

they are...special   ::)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: July 23, 2017, 11:00:09 PM
The handles are the best part. Some people complain that the tool is slippery but I've found that if you are using any of the outside tools the curvature of the handles helps to keep it from slipping in your hand. And I've found that with straight handle pliers if your hand is sweaty or greasy, squeezing hard can sometimes make your hand slide forward towards the pliers head. Not the case with the Spirit handles since they are closer to being flat when using the pliers. Awesome design IMO :tu:

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 23, 2017, 11:40:08 PM
Basically anyone who complains about the Spirit is basically afraid that if they embrace the perfection it will be seen as hubris in the eyes of God and that they will be smote down for their arrogance.
Or something like that :whistle:

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 03:35:32 AM

Have to try to understand    :pok:

they are...special   ::)
The Spirit is special alright... In fact it's my fave... love the tool density and the ergonomics... My comment above refers to the new design/improvement on the scissors... the spring layout now allows for wider opening... no need for mods there...

However, I think improvements still needs to be made... the current scissors has the handles opposite of most scissors... left handle over right instead of right over left.

It doesn't allow me to do precision cutting... As an illustration by drawing a line on a paper. I can see exactly where I'm cutting. 91mm scissors and most it not all scissors allows for this.

Spirits scissors not so much... As if it was designed for lefties...

Maybe not fair to compare SAK scissors to MT scissors. Here's the fiskar on the MP600...

Overall, the Spirit is good. There's no perfect MT for sure. However, even with the new design, scissors still remains as its achilles heel. :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 06:59:44 AM
Good post Jaya.  The other issue for me with the Spirit scissors is, sharpening or difficulty in.  I have a really hard tome accessing the full cutting edge. 

While I am a lefty and can appreciate the left hand scissors I am trained to use them with my right hand.  Just put 91mm scissors in the Spirit and be done already. 

Esse Quam Videri

Reply #53 on: July 24, 2017, 07:36:48 AM
  Almost put a BSA Spirit X on the cc, and was going to have it engraved in Script with "No Worries, Jim!" but then realized maybe I should wait. Maybe catch one on sale, or find another with a different branding in it. Trying to be less impulsive. Maybe a Coyote Tan Rebar would be sexier. :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #54 on: July 24, 2017, 07:58:19 AM
  Damn... almost went ballistic ...  :ahhh  http://www.armoryexpressoutlet.com/SwissTool-Spirit--Road-Tour_p_1378.html

... then I saw the $164 and thought one thing, Chako! :drool:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:29:38 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #55 on: July 24, 2017, 04:04:30 PM
  Damn... almost went ballistic ...  :ahhh  http://www.armoryexpressoutlet.com/SwissTool-Spirit--Road-Tour_p_1378.html

... then I saw the $164 and thought one thing, Chako! :drool:
Spirit RT :drool:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #56 on: July 24, 2017, 04:05:44 PM
Spirit RT  :like:

I believe Mon has one  :think:
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #57 on: July 24, 2017, 04:17:45 PM
$164 looks like a good deal for the Spirit RT, if they've actually got one in stock.  They were a limited edition from 2010, IIRC.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: July 25, 2017, 08:29:29 AM
$164 looks like a good deal for the Spirit RT, if they've actually got one in stock.  They were a limited edition from 2010, IIRC.
Was thinking the exact same thing

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #59 on: July 27, 2017, 05:54:08 PM
Many things have been said, I won't repeat them, but let me add this

Form Factor:
The Spirit is longer and thinner when compared to others. The result is that
- that, combined with its smoothness (no sharp corners on a Spirit) makes it rides much more comfortable in your pants.
- all the small tools (screwdriver, prytool etc...) are longer and have better reach.
I carry a spirit with me every day and I never notice it there. The Signal on the other hand (the only similar sized MT I have carried for a while) was a lot more noticeable.

Have you now ditched the Signal? I thought you'd got quite enamoured by it?
I like the Signal, its my favorite LM, but I'm rarely carrying it. Spirit is just better :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%