Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why a Spirit?

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Why a Spirit?
Reply #60 on: July 27, 2017, 05:55:00 PM
Spirit RT  :like:

I believe Mon has one  :think:
Etherealicer has THREE :D
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #61 on: July 27, 2017, 06:12:15 PM
Spirit RT  :like:

I believe Mon has one  :think:
Etherealicer has THREE :D

See when no new good MTs come out and you want to buy something, just keep buying backups of what you like.  :D  All together I have 8 spirits and I would still buy more if they were a good price.  Once in a blue moon they go on sale on amazon and I will buy another if they do.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #62 on: July 27, 2017, 06:14:14 PM
Hey Robert, not to derail the topic, were you able to complete your Ti Juice S2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #63 on: July 27, 2017, 07:55:52 PM
Hey Robert, not to derail the topic, were you able to complete your Ti Juice S2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yes I did but wasnt happy with the thickness of Ti I used, so I need to redo it with thicker scales. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #64 on: July 27, 2017, 10:00:03 PM
  Don't ya just smurfin hate it when you miss a good sale?!? :ahhh

https://www.camofire.com/forum/hunting-deals/victorinox-swisstool-spirit-rt
SpiritRTsale.jpg
* SpiritRTsale.jpg (Filesize: 81.72 KB)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:02:18 PM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #65 on: July 28, 2017, 12:36:49 AM

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #66 on: July 28, 2017, 12:57:46 AM
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #67 on: July 28, 2017, 03:09:10 AM
Nate

SEND IT!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #68 on: July 28, 2017, 01:11:35 PM

I think you might have missed this deal by a fairly large margin (or you are very slow to react)   :pok:   ;) 

POSTED ON MAY 12, 2013
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Reply #69 on: July 28, 2017, 02:13:30 PM

I think you might have missed this deal by a fairly large margin (or you are very slow to react)   :pok:   ;) 

POSTED ON MAY 12, 2013

Proof Aussies don't have a sense of humor?  :rofl:
¬ Outback in Idaho

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #70 on: July 29, 2017, 05:23:36 AM

Naaah, I was having a laugh OK, it was just at your expense (that was the intent of the two emoticons I included)  ;)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #71 on: July 31, 2017, 03:01:58 PM

Naaah, I was having a laugh OK, it was just at your expense (that was the intent of the two emoticons I included)  ;)
Proof that Aussies have a smurfed up sense of humor. I like it!  :D
Nate

SEND IT!

Reply #72 on: August 01, 2017, 01:30:17 AM
  Went to Sportsman's Warehouse & Dicks Sporting Goods, neither had a Victorinox anything. Did see a SOG Reactor for the first time. Rest were Leatherman.
  Is okay, don't have the resources for one yet anyhow.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:33:26 AM by Outback in Idaho »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #73 on: August 01, 2017, 01:36:05 AM
  Went to Sportsman's Warehouse & Dicks Sporting Goods, neither had a Victorinox anything. Did see a SOG Reactor for the first time. Rest were Leatherman.
  Is okay, don't have the resources for one yet anyhow.
Don't forget about this
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #74 on: August 01, 2017, 11:42:02 AM
Okay, here is my contribution to the discussion.
I have a LM Charge TTI and a Vic Spirit S BO.
The LM is my favorite for doing small repairs and small jobs in and around my house. The LM has nice OHO's and lots of bit tools.
As far as I can asses both tools are of high quality. If you use a tool (any tool!) and it breaks, you almost certainly applied too much force on it. YOU made the tool to break!
A screwdriver is not a crowbar, a blade is not a screwdriver, a metal file is useless on tungsten ad a wood saw is unsuitable for sawing in gypsum walls. To make my point: Use your tool for what is was intended for, that is light work. Use heavy tools for heavy jobs.

As mentioned before, The LM Charge TTI is my favorite tool, but not always!
The Spirit is my favorite when I want to carry a multitool in my jeans pocket. The Spirit is sleeker and light weight, and it will carry more easily in my pocket than the LM.
When I travel abroad I want the Spirit with me. In Germany OHO are forbidden to carry, so a Spirit is better in that occasion.
There are also lots of foreign counties where the LM's and Gerbers (especially the new types that look like 'Transformers') may give an aggressive impression on Police, Security and Customs personel. When a knife looks aggressive, you may have a problem in many countries because many people will see you also as aggressive. And these beautiful aggressive looking tools have a great attraction on corrupt law enforcement and other types you don't want to invite for dinner. They want to have it!
So when travelling I have the unobtrusive Spirit S BO with me.

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #75 on: August 01, 2017, 09:08:28 PM
The spirit does look like it is a better made Multitool, but it seems that the leathermans are easier to buy at local stores.
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #76 on: August 06, 2018, 04:08:56 PM
A bit of a necro.

Nice post EMZ. 

I'm also just now seeing the new design for the Spirit scissor spring.  Anyone got a new one?  Have I missed a post?

I carried my Spirit the last few days and here are my thoughts.  Its such a nice tool.  I really like how densely this tool is packed.  I like the plier shape a lot.  Ergonomics are wonderful.  Pretty much everything said is true about this tool.  I'll still stand by what I've written in this thread.  The scissors are not its high point.  We can debate it back and forth but its true.  We can make them work by modding all we want ( I did ) but this is the only Vic product that has these odd scissors, am I right?  Why? 

What I also found is the phillips gets mangled.  Misuse some will say, but no I say.  I turn the same screws with my LM flat bits and never have any mangling.  The great thing tho, if I did I can get a new bit and be back in service.  My Spirit is showing signs of serious wear on the phillips.  I guess I can turn it in but I'd be out a tool if this were my only tool. 

Anyone else with a Spirit whose phillips is showing this wear.  Now before I'm labeled a Spirit basher........   
IMG_5499.jpg
* IMG_5499.jpg (Filesize: 179.56 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #77 on: August 06, 2018, 04:16:20 PM
New scissor spring? :think:  What does it look like?

I like the scissors - they make great mini utility snips.  Not so good for fingernails but OK for most other things.

As for the philips, mine is soft and easily dinged up too.  I think that because of the way it's made - stamped/formed from softer steel, rather than machined like the LM - it doesn't quite fit the screws properly so may slip and get damaged.  If you look at the tip you might see that the 'wings' aren't perpendicular.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #78 on: August 06, 2018, 04:22:21 PM

Page 2 of this thread reply 42
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #79 on: August 06, 2018, 04:35:23 PM
Gotcha. :tu:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: August 06, 2018, 04:54:43 PM

I like the scissors - they make great mini utility snips.  Not so good for fingernails but OK for most other things.

As for the philips, mine is soft and easily dinged up too.  I think that because of the way it's made - stamped/formed from softer steel, rather than machined like the LM - it doesn't quite fit the screws properly so may slip and get damaged.  If you look at the tip you might see that the 'wings' aren't perpendicular.

I think it was designed that way to be more versatile.

But, yeah, the metal is a bit on the soft side.

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #81 on: August 06, 2018, 05:23:22 PM
I don't know why it isn't common-knowledge that Vic steel is a bit soft compared to other big-brand MTs. The up-sides are excellent rust resistance and the tools bend/twist, instead of snap (they stay somewhat usable until you can send it off). My Spirit handles became misaligned doing very moderate twisting, so I don't think the alternate side cutters offer any benefit(SOG was doing that before Vic even thought about plier-based tools). The cutters are also tiny, and not well formed, compared to their modern competition.
For me, the Spirit is a good jack-of-all-trades. It does a lot of stuff well enough, but really doesn't do anything really well(I could argue for the file, wood saw, and chisel/stripper, but I don't think these tools are better than some competitor's offerings). The tolerances tend to make it highly susceptible to dirt, lint and dust. I have had to do a major cleaning far more times to the Spirit/SwissTool than any other MTs I own. The tools got so hard to extract, that I was breaking off fingernails. The finish is easy to scratch, slippery, and mostly aesthetic. I don't particularly think it's that good looking either, but that is IMHO of course.

Would I buy a Spirit? Yes and I did. Do I regret it? NOOOOO. It is a fantastic tool for regular people who may need a wide selection of tools in their pocket.
I would personally recommend the bigger SwissTool if you must have a Victorinox tool for hard use.  :)
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #82 on: August 06, 2018, 05:35:54 PM
I have to agree, G-man.

I love the Spirit--it might be the multi I'd have if I could own only one--but for hard use in hard conditions a Leatherman is going to get the call.   :multi:

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #83 on: August 06, 2018, 08:16:09 PM

What I also found is the phillips gets mangled.  Misuse some will say, but no I say.  I turn the same screws with my LM flat bits and never have any mangling.  The great thing tho, if I did I can get a new bit and be back in service.  My Spirit is showing signs of serious wear on the phillips.  I guess I can turn it in but I'd be out a tool if this were my only tool. 

Anyone else with a Spirit whose phillips is showing this wear.  Now before I'm labeled a Spirit basher........

I bought a few 2nd hand DAK Spirits, and yes, some of the phillips's show similar wear as your Spirit's phillips. Indeed something that is no problem with my LM, although I realise that the Spirits had been used by soldiers and not by me.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 08:19:32 PM by EMZ »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: August 06, 2018, 08:25:11 PM
I don't find the Spirit scissors design to be a problem.

Not my favorite scissors, but they worked well for all the normal tasks I use scissors for (I don't recall ever having an issue with the scissors).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: August 07, 2018, 07:26:15 AM
I was cutting fabric, some decently tought stuff.  The Spirit scissors before I modded them made the task dreadful.  I got out my Swisschamp and finished the job.  I'm a huge fan of Vic scissors so these leave me really bumming. 

Over all the tool is wonderful.  I like the compliment of tools they chose.  I liked them so much I added a modded chisel to my Wave.  I also added an awl and VIC scissors  :D.  I do like the plier shape a lot too.  I carried my Spirit again today on my pants belt while my TTi rides on my work tool belt.   
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #86 on: August 07, 2018, 11:43:28 AM
On scissors: since I usually carry smaller, more precise scissors on my complimentary SAK I am not bothered by the Spirit's scissors and like them for heavier duty zip ties, cardboard and tough plastics,  :angel:
but i wouldn't want them to be my only scissors on my EDC, for sure  :P

On Phillips: this is arguably one of the worst things that the Spirit has, its softness and lack of "replaceability", because if you pretend this to be your only MT you are screwed and will get bent out of shape  :D if you use it often on screws,  :ahhh
in fact in my oldest Spirit the Phillips is so deformed that it barely grabs or twists these simple, big TV screws  :rant:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #87 on: August 07, 2018, 03:04:16 PM
I guess the argument can be made for getting the plus kit.  I have one an use it but I like to think of the plus kit as an addition to, no instead of.  I want to use my phillips not always reach for my plus kit instead of using my phillips.  I'll carry my Spirit today again because I do really like the tool.  We'll see over time how mangled the philips becomes.     
Esse Quam Videri

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #88 on: August 08, 2018, 01:56:53 PM
I guess the argument can be made for getting the plus kit.  I have one an use it but I like to think of the plus kit as an addition to, no instead of.  I want to use my phillips not always reach for my plus kit instead of using my phillips.  I'll carry my Spirit today again because I do really like the tool.  We'll see over time how mangled the philips becomes.     

yes, OFC, most days I'm packing my Spirit these guys come along too  :cheers:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%