Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Photo Session: MP600, MP700, MP800

Zephon · 14 · 2066

ph Offline Zephon

Photo Session: MP600, MP700, MP800
on: July 20, 2017, 02:50:51 AM
A local collector unloaded his stuff recently and I managed to purchase a handful of stuff from his stash.  I would have gotten more had it been closer to payday.  Anyway, I got these tool as my initial foray into the Gerber brand.  I've never owned one, no even a KO, so I personally wanted to see what all the noise was about.  I managed to pick up an MP600 Pro Scout, MP700 Urban Legend, and MP800.  Aside from giving the tools a WD scrub and bath, I also replaced the worn out RemGrit blades.  I'm still on the "honeymoon" phase with these tools, being new to the brand and all that.  As I work a desk job, the most these guys are going through right now are typical household repair stuff and kids' projects.  The most these guys will go through will probably be what the boy scouts will throw at my kids.

With that said, here we go --

The MP600 has an interesting sheath-- it has that plastic frame thingy that allows for Molle-compatibility.  Not sure when the plastic is going to turn brittle but it's a nice touch while it's working.  The MP700 and MP800 come with a rather "generic-looking" pouch.  No additional velcro straps were included so they most likely had belt-carry in mind.

Out of the box, the MP600 feels lighter compared to the MP800, possibly due to its more compact frame.  It's a given that the MP700 weighs the least of the 3.  The MP700 and MP800 have those rubber inserts in the handles.  As everyone knows, the MP600 has that addictive flicky plier-head deployment (had to thoroughly clean my to get the flick back) and the MP700 and MP800 use the traditional butterfly-opening style.

Let's move on to what tools are common to all three:
First of all, it goes without saying that all the tools lock in place.  For the knife blades, the MP600 is about a millimeter longer than the MP800 with both having partially serrated edges.  I have to admit I have to get used to having the serrations near the handle as I'm used to the Victorinox style.   There's a stud on the MP700 and MP800 that allows for one hand opening of the blades -- and it works rather well even for a guy with small hands.  The MP600 needs to flick out the pliers first then swing out the blade -- rather tricky to do with just one hand.

Next would be the scissors.  The MP800 has a stud on the scissors allowing for OHO.  Though you may need a second hand to flip the scissors down..... The MP600 and MP800 have "Fiskars" stamped on them.  The scissors on those 2 are the same size with only the pivot portion being different.  The MP700 has smaller scissors and does not have a stud or slot for OHO. 
IMG_4769.JPG
* IMG_4769.JPG (Filesize: 384.35 KB)
IMG_4770.JPG
* IMG_4770.JPG (Filesize: 371.49 KB)
IMG_4771.JPG
* IMG_4771.JPG (Filesize: 374.04 KB)
IMG_4772.JPG
* IMG_4772.JPG (Filesize: 388.32 KB)

ph Offline Zephon

Re: Photo Session: MP600, MP700, MP800
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 02:57:11 AM
Next for the common tools are the Philips drivers.  All of them have 3D drivers but the MP700 has the "skeletal" version versus the sold ones for the MP600 and MP800.  It goes without saying that being the smaller tool, the MP700's driver is shorter by (half?) a millimeter. 

For the cap lifter/flat head driver, all of them are practically similar to each other.  With the MP600, hopefully you have the pliers open already when you need to open up a bottle.

Ditto for the small flat head driver.  They're all practically similar and all are a pain to deploy -- more so on the MP600.

The next post will deal with the tools which are NOT common to the 3 models.
IMG_4773.JPG
* IMG_4773.JPG (Filesize: 357.44 KB)
IMG_4774.JPG
* IMG_4774.JPG (Filesize: 376.13 KB)
IMG_4775.JPG
* IMG_4775.JPG (Filesize: 385.79 KB)

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 03:12:45 AM
This post will deal with the tools not common between the MP600, MP700 anad MP800.

This one took me by surprise.  This MP600 Pro Scout does not have a large flat head driver.  The MP700 has a stubby one (as if Gerber tools can get any shorter), and the MP800 has a fairly decent one.  Not sure if I would want to use any of them as a pry-bar for say anything nailed shut....

The MP600 and MP800 both have a double-sided metal file.  They're strictly metal files and both do not have the metal saw found in Victorinox metal files.

Here we have my beef with the MP800 -- the RemGrit holder.  The MP600 and MP700 have a similar U-shank bit holder.  My problem with the MP800 is that it cannot take in a longer bit as the bit will come in contact with the bridge holding the plier head.  The MP600, thanks to the space between parts, will allow a slightly longer bit to fit between the plier head and the handle frame when you close the bit holder.  For that alone, I'm good with the U-bit holder of the MP600 as I've 1) found a store selling U-bits  2) I can fit in longer blades. 

Finally we have the special piece for each --.  for the MP600, it has a can opener similar in style to those in a SAK (less the driver head at the tip).  It is a PAIN to fish it out -- I think you have to have the pointed tip dig into your fingertip or fingernail to swing it out -- or lift the file up first then use a finger to push up the can opener.  The MP700 has......tweezers.  Still trying to figure out where/how to use this aside from pulling out stubs.  I don't see one having wood splinters in an office environment so I'm still trying to figure this one out.

IMG_4776.JPG
* IMG_4776.JPG (Filesize: 391.24 KB)
IMG_4777.JPG
* IMG_4777.JPG (Filesize: 387.01 KB)
IMG_4778.JPG
* IMG_4778.JPG (Filesize: 391.62 KB)
IMG_4779.JPG
* IMG_4779.JPG (Filesize: 357.09 KB)

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 03:40:03 AM
Finally we move on to the pliers.  All 3 have replaceable carbide cutters on them.  The MP600 has a crimper at the top of the handle.  The MP700 and MP800 have spring loaded plier heads.  Being a guy with small hands, I am NOT too crazy on how far the handles of the MP800 open.  The handle splay is probably as wide as a Wingman and since I've been using a Vic multitool, it's driving me crazy!  Being spring loaded means that it will always go back to it's max splay.  The MP700 is just about the right size while I'm glade to say that I still haven't been pinched by the MP600. 

Before I forget, I have to mention that the locking mechanism tab of the MP800 is SHARP, compared to the MP700.  If you have big hands which can wrap around the MP800 handles when in close position, I'm sure you'll feel those lock release tabs.  I find the lock tab of the MP600 very intuitive to use and can easily be worked on even with dirty/slippery fingers. 

Well, there you have it.  I've chosen to carry the MP600 Pro Scout in my bag right now (as I've grown addicted to the flicky action.  Must be the MTO version of a fidget/hand spinner toy).  I like the fact that I was able to fit a longer U-shank bit as every centimeter counts when you've got a saw this small.  Due to its compact form, it feels lighter than it actually is. 

I've kind of realized why the MP700 was called the Urban Legend as the tool load makes it feel more like an office drawer/ home repair tool rather than something I'd give my kids for their boy scout activities.  I mean tweezers?!? Really? Why not a can opener? But I'd rather carry this (and it is very carry-able due to it's light weight) than say a Dime or Crucial.

For the MP800, it was the handle splay that turned me off.  Then there's the sharp tool locks and the inability to fit in a longer U-shank blade bit.  I like the OHO scissors and am wondering why on earth didn't they do that to the MP700?  I'm still trying to find my sweet spot with the MP800.  Wish they replaced the small flat head with an awl instead....or a can opener....or ditched the U-shank holder in favor of an actual wood saw. 

Nope, I'm not going to customize these guys and mix and match tools, though I'm tempted to place plain edge blades on the MP600 and MP800.  Will be putting these guys to active use more (and stop myself when I try to reach for the Spirit) and see what they have to offer.  Right now I'm quite biased though -- I like the load of the MP600 Pro Scout.  I like it so much that I'm bound to pick up an MP600 Basic just for the heck of it.

:multi:
IMG_4781.JPG
* IMG_4781.JPG (Filesize: 381.41 KB)
IMG_4780.JPG
* IMG_4780.JPG (Filesize: 380.03 KB)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:19:20 AM
Great write-up and great pics :cheers: :cheers: :like: Thanks for sharing with us :tu: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 05:48:24 AM
Great write-up and great pics :cheers: :cheers: :like: Thanks for sharing with us :tu: :like:

+1    :like:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 03:57:42 AM
Are the handles of your MP800 black?   I didn't know that Gerber made the MP800 with dark handles.

Here is a picture of my MP800.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 04:02:19 AM
Are the handles of your MP800 black?   I didn't know that Gerber made the MP800 with dark handles.

Here is a picture of my MP800.

(Image removed from quote.)

The handles of the MP800 are navy blue .  Rubber inserts are standard black.

Sorry for the confusion -- the lighting was on the right side from an open window on a cloudy day.

I remember googling up handle variants of the MP800 and there was an old thread here where a couple of guys were talking about one with red handles....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 04:03:38 AM by Zephon »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 03:03:39 PM
whoa! I'd love a coloured one

mine is nice, but I'd like a T3 limited edition or a color-handled one better  ::)
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 02:05:34 AM
This is quite embarrassing -- I did a pictorial of an MP600 Pro Scout without knowing that it's not the most common variant available.  So here is me trying to make it up with a series of pictures called "A Tale of Two Pro Scouts". 

I picked up a new Pro Scout yesterday with the intent of giving it to my fledgling boy scout son.  My intent was to put it through some paces to loosen the pliers, make sure the tools work, and most importantly to make sure my 10-year old can use the flicky-action.  As I was going through the tools, I noticed the following:

Picture 1:
Initially, this was what I was aware off -- my 1st Pro Scout had carbide cutters.  Stock photos on Gerber's website don't show the carbide cutters on a Pro Scout.  This was also the main reason why I didn't want my kid to be using the carbide cutter version -- in case it gets lost or stolen or something.  I didn't want him worrying about a "collectors' item".   

Picture 2:
The Pro Scout I bought yesterday had a different blade profile (sheepsfoot v. drop point, right?).  Though both are partially serrated, their serrations are different.  The sheepsfoot had the VVVVV serrations while the drop point had something like UVVUVV.  The drop point had "Gerber USA" on the blade (on the ricasso, right?) while the sheepsfoot did not have any.  The sheepsfoot blade has a nail nick while the drop point has a groove to act as a nail nick. 

The philipps driver is also different.  One has the "solid" construction while the other has the "hollow" construction.  I honestly prefer the solid construction since it's one less nook and cranny to clean.

Picture 3:
Implements are the same with minor cosmetic differences.  The one with carbide cutters have "Fiskars" on the scissors while the other does not.  The file has a groove while the normal MP600 has a nail nick. 

Picture 4:
Well, just to show everyone the "whole picture" that these are 2 Pro Scouts which are the same but quite unique in their own way. 

* on a side note, the Remgrit saw did not have the brand printed on the newly bought MP600.  I also replaced the saw on the one with carbide cutters.
IMG_4868.JPG
* IMG_4868.JPG (Filesize: 143.03 KB)
IMG_4870.JPG
* IMG_4870.JPG (Filesize: 138.87 KB)
IMG_4872.JPG
* IMG_4872.JPG (Filesize: 175.89 KB)
IMG_4871.JPG
* IMG_4871.JPG (Filesize: 166.26 KB)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 01:57:00 PM

mine is nice, but I'd like a T3 limited edition or a color-handled one better  ::)

I've only seen MP400, MP600 & MP700 T3 versions, never an MP800.   

Has anyone ever seen a T3 MP800 ? (Gerber did seem to make a lot of one-offs and some very limited runs of their tools, so it is entirely possible)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:58:51 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 06:38:53 PM

I've only seen MP400, MP600 & MP700 T3 versions, never an MP800.   

Has anyone ever seen a T3 MP800 ? (Gerber did seem

to make a lot of one-offs and some very limited runs of their tools, so it is entirely possible)

sorry I meant a T3 MP700, I wanted to post this pic instead...

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline gerleatherberman

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Man of Multiple MultiTool Manufacturers
Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 05:21:43 AM
Love the write up! Thank you for posting! :like:
I have large hands and the locks don't bother my hand at all, but I work a labor job, so my nerves might be less sensitive.
I had wanted a 700, but then I saw how short the tools are and it was an immediate turn off. The 800 blade is really short for the tool as it is and the 700 is like a keychain tool blade.  :think:
I have the 600 Basic and 800 Legend. The 600 overall is a stronger tool in practical hard use. The 800 has those great pliars, but the rest of the tool isn't to the MP600 level of usefulness. IMHO
A great compromise of the 600 & 800 is the Diesel. Great tool, with exception of the 2D phillips, but Gerber does make a bit kit for the Diesel. Great bang for the buck and Gerber's best tool selection for most people. It also lacks replaceable cutters and saw adapter, but the wood saw is longer than the remgrit junk in the pro scout, 700, & 800. Check it out, before buying an 600 basic. :multi:
Pontificating particularly pious positions pertaining to polymorphic paraphernalia. G-Man.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 03:41:30 AM
Here's something I realized between the MP600 and MP800 -- the MP600 can open its jaws wider.  I was trying to turn a nut so even if the handle splay is unbelievably wide, I could still use it.  The same can't be said about the MP-800 though.  I know that I should have just used a (pipe) wrench or the correct tool but the MP's were the ones within arms reach

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%