Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Grand Algoma Tour.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The Grand Algoma Tour.
on: July 20, 2017, 03:46:58 AM
I got up this morning and didn't know what I would do today. I had nothing planned. I called my girlfriend and we figured we would just go somewhere for a nice little ride. Well that little ride turned into something long...and wonderful. I had always wanted to ride up to Wawa, then take the 101 to Chapleau, and then take the 129 down to Thessalon, and then back to the Sault. Well it happened today and it was a little unplanned. I truly wished we had packed our day trip cooler full of nice cold water...seeing that we left the Sault at 6:30 am. This meant that by the time we got to the Canadian Carver, it was closed...hence no washroom break or something to drink. By the time we arrived at Lake Superior Provincial Park Visitor centre, it was also closed.  :rant: This meant we both had to pee in the bushes...meanwhile pondering the newly posted bear sighted around neighbourhood warning poster on the front locked door. To add to the fun, it was foggy pretty much all the way to Wawa. The added benefit for me was that I couldn't see the heights of the Montreal River section, which is always a bit of a white knuckler for me...being somewhat afraid of heights. Happily, by the time we got to Wawa, most things were opened...9:30am.  I figured that since we were there, and nothing better to do, it was time to take highway 101 to Chapleau. This was new territory for me, and I must say, highway 101 is a very nicely well maintained highway. We saw a moose cow and calf walk across the highway approximately 150 meters in front of us, giving me plenty of time to slow down and watch them go their way...being quite happy to have spotted them exiting the forest prior to crossing the highway. Once at Chapleau, I was very pleasantly surprised to see their visitor/museum open for business. The last time I found myself in Chapleau, the place was closed. the nice young lady attending the building told us they opened it back up last year after many years of closure. Once we finished looking at the local sites and  visiting a few stores, it was time to gather my strength and tackle a highway I do not like, and that is the 129. There is a section of the 129 that basically runs through a valley with the Mississaugi River right next to the roadway. This section is breathtaking in beauty, but for someone who doesn't like heights, it is a bit discomforting. Especially when the river side of the highway is very close to the river, and is of a certain height up from said river, and there is nothing to prevent you from rolling into said river as there aren't any guardrails to be found. Those little square caution signs do nothing to give me any assurances. The last time I went through there was nerve racking. I was proud of myself today however, as I focused on the road and forced myself to a state of calmness. Yeah, it was a trial that only someone who has a fear of heights would understand. I beat it and my girlfriend was rather thankful as she saw how much I tensed on our last trip through that valley. I figured I would make the trip a lot safer for both of us. Yep, got to love psychological games one plays with oneself. I know being fearful of heights is irrational...and it bugs me greatly that I sometimes tense up. Anyhow, once past that stretch, highway 129 is a very nice highway to roll on, although not as maintained as highway 101 or 17 which is the transcanada. The one thing that really bothers me about this trip is the lack of washrooms. There are no picnic stop overs with washrooms. Most folks are forced to pull over to the side of the highway and pee in the bushes or the curb. By the time we got to Tunnel Lake Trading Post, both of us were eager to partake of their washrooms. Tunnel Lake Trading Post is about 30 km north of Thessalon. Arriving in the Sault after a nice long drive is refreshing. Knowing that I beat that section of 129, more so.

Here is an article of the Grand Algoma Tour. I did it in a jeep in one day, and backwards to the article.

http://www.northernontario.travel/algoma-country/ontario-s-finest-motorcycle-roads-the-grand-algoma-loop
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: The Grand Algoma Tour.
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 04:15:53 AM
A few photos I took during today's trip.

In and around the Wawa Tourist Centre.

The new Goose.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/06/25/wawa-goose-the-third-arrives-on-canada-day.html

Young's General Store in Wawa.

Chapleau Train Memorial found on the grounds of the Chapleau Tourist Centre/Museum.

Inside of the now opened Tourist Centre/Museum.

That about covers the few times I took out my cell phone to take photos.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:30:08 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31