Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need help picking the right Victorinox Swiss Army Knife for me.

us Offline mashguy4077

I carry a Victorinox Swisstool everyday with a pair of small Knipex pliers in a belt sheath. I never was really interested in a Swiss Army Knife because I figured it would be overkill along with the Swisstool.

Just recently I realised there will be days when the Swisstool/Knipex combo would not be needed, but I would still like something in my pocket with some tools just in case.  I'm not real familiar with Victorinox's different models so I could use some help.

I would like one with pliers, scissors, the 2 cutting blades, wood saw, bottle opener/screwdriver, small screwdriver, awl, etc.

I don't mind lightly used either. If anyone can tell me what would closely match my want list that would be great 👍

Thanks in advance.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
The Craftsman gets pretty close. It has everything you wanted and only one extra thing that you didn't mention, the file.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Or the Handyman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Douglas

• No Life Club
Or the Spirit.  It will be vary familiar considering you already use a Swisstool daily.
"LOGIC!  My God, the man's talking about logic!  We're talking about Universal Armageddon!"
Dr.  McCoy

MTo...The BEST place on Earth!

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
If you want to buy new the Handyman is the best for what you've described. Full opening layer, wood saw, metal saw with file, pliers, scissors, two blades, awl, fine SD, chisel, corkscrew that you can put a micro SD in.

The master craftsman is the same but with a Philips SD instead of the corkscrew, but its not in production anymore, so you would have to look for a used one
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

mk Offline Deedee

You wont be wrong with the swisschamp either. It has more tools than you mentioned, but it is not bulky. :cheers:

us Offline mashguy4077

Thanks for the help everyone. I ended up buying a Victorinox Explorer Plus Boy Scout model from another forum which should be shipping out on Monday. I also carry a Leatherman Squirt P4 everyday anyway, so I figured I could do without the pliers.

The Explorer has the glass magnifying lens which will be fun to play around with and also the mini screwdriver that fits in the corkscrew for tightening my eyeglasses.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
  Wished Victorinox would go back to using glass magnifiers over those pos plastic ones.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline mashguy4077

By the way he says the box is the original one but it is marked Yeoman.

Anyone know why?

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
  Wished Victorinox would go back to using glass magnifiers over those pos plastic ones.

They have.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

Anyone know why?

http://swissarmyknights.com/articles/2005/145-the-great-yeoman-conspiracy

They have.

All the ones I see online show the plastic lens.
¬ Outback in Idaho

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

They have.

In 2012 they changed back to a glass lens while retaining the clear plastic housing.

They have.

In 2012 they changed back to a glass lens while retaining the clear plastic housing.

Okay. Thanks.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

They have.

Okay. Thanks.  :D

I should probably mention that some don't like that the glass lens can be popped out of the clear plastic housing.
Also the shorter phillips (paired with the clear plastic housing) wears better than the older longer phillips.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice

Anyone know why?
If I recall correctly,
The BSA version of the Explorer was/is marketed as the Yeoman, while not being the actualy collectable Yeoman.
This led to allot of confusion and people ordering a hard to find Yeoman from a store that still had it in stock, only to receive a BSA Explorer.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
From Sakwiki! :salute:

The distributor Swiss Army Brands is largely considered responsible for confusion around this model. After the model was discontinued it appears they substituted models, or shipped, BSA Explorers under the BSA Yeoman name. Old incorrect photos of the BSA Yeoman are often used in advertising for the BSA Explorer. Several problems on dealer websites and ebay with the naming and photos has no doubt caused some grievance, not to mention incorrect purchases.

Resisted from purchasing an Emerald Green Explorer Plus ... as tempted as I was am still partial to my Climber.  :angel:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%