Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite backpacking/hiking SAK

us Offline thatotherguy

Re: Favorite backpacking/hiking SAK
Reply #30 on: July 21, 2017, 09:49:32 PM
Well I'm surprised. I haven't heard anyone from the ultralight camp yet. Most of them say you only need a spartan (2 layer) or less.
It's been well documented that many Appalachian Trail through hikers don't carry a knife at all, but that's just insanity in my (our) opinion.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: July 21, 2017, 10:33:50 PM
Well I'm surprised. I haven't heard anyone from the ultralight camp yet. Most of them say you only need a spartan (2 layer) or less.
It's been well documented that many Appalachian Trail through hikers don't carry a knife at all, but that's just insanity in my (our) opinion.

I have read that as well.  Or they take a SAK ( 2-3 layers ) and never use it.  Unnecessary gear is one thing but in my mind a knife IS necessary.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 21, 2017, 10:34:22 PM
Amici,
It would really depend on what type of terrain and the location of where I would be planning on going to for backpacking or hiking. Bu for this scenario, I will use for an example your local and otherwise groomed trail. So I would normally carry a Swiss tool or Spirit in my pack, and a Trekker on a lanyard  either in my pocket, or secured around my neck in a kydex sheath.

I also prefer the nail nick model over the one handed variety. No real reason beyond aesthetics.

Cheers,
Serge 
Trekker.jpg
* Trekker.jpg (Filesize: 131.06 KB)
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #33 on: July 21, 2017, 10:40:36 PM

I have read that as well.  Or they take a SAK ( 2-3 layers ) and never use it.  Unnecessary gear is one thing but in my mind a knife IS necessary.   
Well when you think about it without the hobbyist or preparationalist mindset, it kinda makes sense. Food packages have easy tear notches. You don't have to make shelters aside from pitching a tent or hanging a hammock. The trail is well groomed. First aid dressings come in convenient sizes a majority of the time. You don't need to cut food or do much other than boiling water most of the time. You don't have to build a fire for warmth or cooking. Really aside from impromptu repair, there isnt much need at all for a blade.

That doesn't change the fact that I would still be carrying my pliers based tool and a small light fixed blade were I to hike the AT.

gb Offline Pattas29

Reply #34 on: July 21, 2017, 10:49:51 PM
Champ is quickly becoming my go to EDC and with its toolset i think it would work just fine in an off beat setting

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 21, 2017, 11:40:15 PM

Well when you think about it without the hobbyist or preparationalist mindset, it kinda makes sense. Food packages have easy tear notches. You don't have to make shelters aside from pitching a tent or hanging a hammock. The trail is well groomed. First aid dressings come in convenient sizes a majority of the time. You don't need to cut food or do much other than boiling water most of the time. You don't have to build a fire for warmth or cooking. Really aside from impromptu repair, there isnt much need at all for a blade.

That doesn't change the fact that I would still be carrying my pliers based tool and a small light fixed blade were I to hike the AT.

This is where I'm coming from. My guess is most hikers here don't take a knife.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #36 on: July 21, 2017, 11:53:48 PM

I actually love right along the AT in Virginia, and many of them I've spoken to carry either a Gerber mini paraframe or a 2 layer SAK (spartan or compact usually). The ultralight people will convince you that it's not needed tho. I carry at least a knife in my everyday life. I don't  think I would stop if I every became a thru hiker.

us Offline thatotherguy

Reply #37 on: July 21, 2017, 11:56:19 PM

I actually love right along the AT in Virginia, and many of them I've spoken to carry either a Gerber mini paraframe or a 2 layer SAK (spartan or compact usually). The ultralight people will convince you that it's not needed tho. I carry at least a knife in my everyday life. I don't  think I would stop if I every became a thru hiker.
Well I live nowhere near the AT, so I'll bow to your expertise here... I've just read a couple of books.

I would, however, love to live so close to such a good trail.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 22, 2017, 12:05:57 AM
Always go with what you're comfortable carrying!

For me, all my FAKs (cars, backpack, GHBs, etc.) already have a 58mm Classic in them.

My hiking backpack (small 20L) always has an 84mm Sportsman and an old LM PS4 inside or attached inconspicuously to it. So whatever I carry on my person for a day hike or quick overnighter can be any single choice from a Vic Pioneer or Compact in the pocket, to a Buck folder, or LM KF4, or Gerber Strata in a belt sheath. I just try not to over-carry and try to keep it simple.

For a multi-night backpack trip it's a Vic Yeoman or Pioneer in my pocket, I scrap the Buck folder and take a Bucklite 4" fixed or the 119 Special inside the pack w/ typically either the KF4 or Strata on the belt.

Hope that gives you some insight...
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #39 on: July 22, 2017, 12:09:10 AM

Well I live nowhere near the AT, so I'll bow to your expertise here... I've just read a couple of books.

I would, however, love to live so close to such a good trail.
Well I'm by no means close to an expert. I'm just repeating the info they have shared with me. I'm no thru hiker not plan to be anytime soon. I've only done overnighters on the AT when I was younger.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 22, 2017, 12:38:57 AM

Yep, the "ultra-light" speed backpackers go w/ nothing or just a Classic SD here along the Pacific Crest trail. My brother started down that path, but I got him to carry an 84mm Recruit instead and put a 2.8oz Buck skeleton (#143) 3.5in fixed in his pack...and he now uses them. I'll be giving him an old 84mm Lumberjack that I've cleaned up for Christmas.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #41 on: July 22, 2017, 12:41:18 AM
Plier tool wise, a Rebar covers 90 percent of what you might want.  I like having a sAK with corkscrew to undo wet knots.
Barry

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #42 on: July 22, 2017, 07:56:28 AM
My ideal in the Woods knife is the rucksack.... It would probably be the Outrider if I had one...

Can't go wrong with farmer camper or Huntsman.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

mk Offline Deedee

Reply #43 on: July 22, 2017, 01:07:16 PM
For short hikings i carry harvester. Im realy suprised that nobody mentioned it. Best knife for short walk in the woods. I know that many of you like farmer, but i prefere harvester because of the spare blade. Otherwise i carry Soldier 08 or outrider. Depends of terranian somethimes i put mora companion (carbon) in my backpak.

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 01:36:42 PM
I also prefer the Harvester over the Farmer. Then again, I prefer the +B Carver SW over the Harvester. And I carry a PX as well.
DSC06730-carver-px-33.jpg
* DSC06730-carver-px-33.jpg (Filesize: 371.58 KB)

us Offline Faddy Daddy

Reply #45 on: July 22, 2017, 10:38:48 PM
Many years ago, (okay, decades  :) ) I used to live on the east side of the big river. Took several backpacking trips up in the Smokies. I'll never forget meeting a European guy I believe who crossed the whole park, (about 50 miles) in two days. This was way before thru hiking or ultralight or whatever it's called now became popular, but all he carried was a small sleeping bag, a box of raisin bran and a quart of buttermilk. When the buttermilk was gone he used the container for a canteen.
After a bear had stolen a good amount of our supplies, (another story), we hiked out with him the second day. It was about 26 miles, whew! I never did see if he carried a knife or anything else but I was rather impressed with his approach vs our 50+ lb backpacks and typically 10 miles a day.
Anyhow, I guess my point is if you're set on laying down the miles definitely the less the better.

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #46 on: July 24, 2017, 11:38:58 AM
I've been pondering this more and more. The wood saw screams of importance to me. I've not used a Vic wood saw before, but I can imagine it's pretty decent for a pocket tool.
However I see the need for pliers too.
But having them both and keeping weight down, seems hard.
It's like pick any 2.
Saw, pliers, or lightweight.
So I'm still torn about which one to pick.
Do they make a load out that a blade, pliers, openers, and wood saw with and awl?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #47 on: July 24, 2017, 04:23:45 PM
I've been pondering this more and more. The wood saw screams of importance to me. I've not used a Vic wood saw before, but I can imagine it's pretty decent for a pocket tool.
It's like pick any 2.
Do they make a load out that a blade, pliers, openers, and wood saw with and awl?

Atlas and Carpenter from VIC.
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #48 on: July 24, 2017, 04:24:19 PM
Signal. >:D

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: July 24, 2017, 04:42:18 PM
Signal. >:D
Once again - personally I carry Forester on most of my hikes and could add a Wave if I'd feel like I need pliers. But if I'd have a Signal - I'd definitely go with it. Really well thought tool for outdoors. On my last hike around Montblanc even the hammer was really necessary sometimes but I didn't have it and had to look for rocks.
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

us Offline gene stoner

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 24, 2017, 06:56:10 PM
I don't. Have one outdoor SAK but I do have a outdoor tool. Any SAK with a saw is eligible for outdoor duty.

20170724_094434.jpg
* 20170724_094434.jpg (Filesize: 324.77 KB)
Jeep the SAK of the auto world or is it SAK the Jeep of the Knife world?

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #51 on: July 24, 2017, 08:32:50 PM
I don't. Have one outdoor SAK but I do have a outdoor tool. Any SAK with a saw is eligible for outdoor duty.
I would have a plain blade, a woodsaw, and a serrated blade. Fortunately my +B Carver SW has them all.
DSC07188-plain-saw-wavy-42.jpg
* DSC07188-plain-saw-wavy-42.jpg (Filesize: 350.71 KB)

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 08:40:33 PM
I would have a plain blade, a woodsaw, and a serrated blade. Fortunately my +B Carver SW has them all.

You meant it has them AWL!!!!  :P
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #53 on: July 24, 2017, 08:42:24 PM

And an awl, yes!  :D

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #54 on: July 24, 2017, 08:56:37 PM
It's like pick any 2.

Atlas and Carpenter from VIC.
Excellent info Aloha. That atlas sure looks promising.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #55 on: July 25, 2017, 07:33:52 PM
take one that has it all,
so you leave nothing behind!

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #56 on: July 25, 2017, 07:43:45 PM
Effective ang pocketable!  :like:

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #57 on: July 25, 2017, 09:01:08 PM

:facepalm: That was awlful.......
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

england Offline Guardian

• Unless
Reply #58 on: July 25, 2017, 09:07:26 PM
OH Trekker for the woods. Pioneer X for EDC. And Spirit in the rucksack. All bases covered...... :mn:

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #59 on: July 25, 2017, 09:16:24 PM
I carried a Fireman before the Carver was revealed to me.
DSC03538-fireman-e.jpg
* DSC03538-fireman-e.jpg (Filesize: 107.97 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%