Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Folding Knives for EDC

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Folding Knives for EDC
on: July 22, 2017, 11:54:28 AM
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:17:16 PM by kkokkolis »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Knives for EDC
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 12:07:27 PM
Nice selection mate  :salute:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Re: Knives for EDC
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 12:12:33 PM
Years ago, when I was an MTO infant, I was asking questions about mainly 2 things.
1. Which are the traditional or archetype folding knives a man owes to himself to handle, experience, use and/or collect.
2. Which particular type of knife would be better for EDC.

Since then I acquired some knives and started EDCing some, leaving my precious Swisschamps at home. Now I see I have experienced the most basic knife types (I have enough SAKs but they differ in the number of layers, their main blade is always the same).
So, by looking at the picture above, please tell me, which traditional folding knife or penny knife isn't pictured on the lower half? We can see there:

1. A typical hunting lockback (similar to Buck's 110)
2. An Opinel Carbon
3. An Okapi
4. A Douk-Douk
5. A Merkator
6. A Swiss Army Knife
7. An Opinel Inox (Garden variety, literally)
8. Two traditional American slipjoints

They all have their merits and charms. Victorinox and Opinel were my EDC for years, but the Merkator and Douk-Douk are very slim and capable, the Okapi is very similar to the Opinel and the Americans have many variations. Which ones aren't pictured? I say:

9. A Higonogami
10. A Svord Peasant
11. A Sodbuster
12.?

Then, above we have some more modern types. A big Swiss Army, a Spyderco and a Buck "tactical" archetypes, a folding Scandi and my current EDC, the Gerber Double Take.
Question #2: Which one would (or do) you EDC and why?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 12:19:31 PM by kkokkolis »

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Folding Knives for EDC
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 01:56:59 PM
I'll probably keep carrying a Swiss Army Knife for my entire life.

Why? Doensn't scare people off and gets the job done for whatever task I come across.

Yesterday, while at a man's house who sells TSA confiscated knives, I was shown a handmade Damascus folding knife with the most beautifull filework I've ever seen. A true piece of art.

The price was right, but I knew I'd only place it in a display because: 1) I'd need a VALID reason to carry a knife like that, 2) It's to beautifull to use.
So I passed on those and grabbed a Compact, Cadet and Evowood 10 instead, wich will serve me more.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 02:32:32 PM
There are literally hundreds of styles, lock types etc out there and I think you have a good representation. I've owned and and traded probably over 500 knives in the last 15 years and have gotten a good taste of what the market has to offer.

I recently got a douk-douk and a opinel 8 for Father's day and the douk-douk sees more action. It's light and razor sharp, easy on the pocket and the spring action is excellent. I carry everything from traditional to modern folders and I feel I would carry the spyderco most of all. Why? Pocket clip leaves room in my pocket for more gear, one hand opening for when my other hand is busy and a lock mechanism so if I do something stupid lol

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 02:32:58 PM
I am in favor of Swiss Army Knives too. I carried a Swisschamp and then the XLT for 30 years. Now I have a Spirit and a scissored Alox in my Skinth and I add the Ranger Hunter when outdoors, not to mention the Minichamp on my keyring. But I like to have a flat folder in my pocket for immediate use, mostly office and relative cutting tasks. I had a Cadet for that, retired after 25 years of use, because it carries an uncountable sentimental value. I tried then many knives in it's place. I used mostly a Mountaineer (great but not flat enough) and the Opinel Jardin (it is a bit big).
Now I use the Gerber Double Take and I think how easy would be for Victorinox to build something like that, in Alox form, with 3 layers, Blade/awl, Scissors and serrated blade/prunning blade. I would loose OHO and locking features (so it would be more legal) but that would be the Victorinox that cuts/pierces everything in the most pocketable format.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 02:38:26 PM
David, I love the Spydercos. They have everything I would need on a single blade knife and the hole is much better for me than any thumbstud. Leatherman Charge/Surge/Wave have the best hole I have used though, the shape of the Spydercos is peculiar with that round hole. Anyway, the Endura is big and fearsome, people are startled by its click noise. So, even a smaller one (a Delica?) isn't for everyday use, although I EDC the Ladybug for years now.

I also prefer the Wenger hole over Victorinox, for their 111-130mm lines.

The Douk-Douk is very nice but the Merkator K55K has significant advantages, being as slim but locking and spear/drop point which I prefer, blame Victorinox use for that.

The Okapi is excellent. I am new to that. It looks like an Opinel but it has many "halfstops" and a clever locking. It is like a razor, I guess it is Carbon steel.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:46:04 PM by kkokkolis »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 03:05:24 PM
Excellent collection!
I don't necessarily carry them everyday, as my Spydercos are my main knives and most carried ones, but my Opinel, Eland and American Slipjoint are my favorite traditionals, and often carry them in the back pocket or the EDC Bag/murse.

I had an Higonokami (two, actually) for some time but didn't really like them and gave both away.
I've given many Opinels away but I keep buying them whenever I travel to France, they're just so nice.
My attempts at giving most American slipjoints have failed, most were nail breakers or had other problems so I got rid of all but one.
Never tried a Svord, but I'd love to.

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 07:44:00 PM
I see Eland and Kudu are Cold Steel Okapi inspired knives. I didn't know them until now.
What's the problem with Higonogami?

us Offline 4everYoung

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 08:32:05 PM
For most of my life I have carried a folding knife as edc. Not until I purchased my Skeletool did I even consider swapping my trusted knife for a multitool.
My current edc knife is my Custom Benchmade mini griptilian I got for Father's Day.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 09:30:45 PM
No matter what's on my belt I always carry a folder like I've done for the last 37 years,a Spartan for years but in the past a 110 style lock folder, opinel for a lightweight option,and favourite slipjoints the stockman.sadly uk laws restrict me carry what I would like to carry  :-\

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 02:10:52 PM
I'm in Chania, Crete, where they make great knives. I'm not a collector of knives, but I might add a peasant's folder or two to my other penny knives, to show you the similarities and differences to the Opinels.
A proper Cretan knife, with bone handle and silver sheath goes up to 1000€.
http://www.cretanknives.gr/product.aspx?id=1824&cat=14&lang=el

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 08:50:56 PM
You're missing a French traditional slipjoint, the Laguiole. And a bunch of other French, German and Italian trads. Like the Cretan knife, most are expensive.

Edit: add Spanish.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 08:53:26 PM by Ronald Schröder »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 09:39:38 PM
Yes, but these aren't "penny" knives, intended for shepherds, peasants, fishermen or hunters. They are fighting knives that have less everyday utility (most are long and thin, oriented more at piercing than cutting). Undoubtably beautiful, they belong to collections and traditional folklore festivities, rather than urban EDC.

Anyway, I told you that we are not world famous for our steel. So Cretans do the same thing Ghourgas do. They use old files and suspension metal from old German and Swedish trucks. The finest steel recycled.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 10:51:34 PM
You lack an Austrian Trattenbacher Feitel: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trattenbacher_Zauckerl

That should cover all the bases of being truly different, cheap/for ordinary people, and intended for EDC type of use. Not my cup of tea, but since this thread seems to be about covering ground in traditionals...

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #15 on: July 24, 2017, 11:28:49 PM
Great collection!

You might consider one of the most traditional of the traditional slip-joints - the Stockman. I carried assorted Stockmen for years, before discovering SAKs. More compact than my Scout knives, and with a lot of utility. The long pointed clip blade can also work as an awl; the sheepsfoot was designed for leatherwork but also works great as a box cutter. They also feel good in the hand, and have a wide selection of sizes and handle materials. I like the looks of the square-end Stockmen, but the round-end ones are easier on the pocket.

IMG_4364.JPG
* IMG_4364.JPG (Filesize: 110.87 KB)
IMG_8527.JPG
* IMG_8527.JPG (Filesize: 57.81 KB)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 11:33:28 PM by ColoSwiss »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 12:10:19 AM
Yes, but these aren't "penny" knives, intended for shepherds, peasants, fishermen or hunters. They are fighting knives that have less everyday utility (most are long and thin, oriented more at piercing than cutting). Undoubtably beautiful, they belong to collections and traditional folklore festivities, rather than urban EDC.

Anyway, I told you that we are not world famous for our steel. So Cretans do the same thing Ghourgas do. They use old files and suspension metal from old German and Swedish trucks. The finest steel recycled.

You should get a portuguese "corta-e-pica" from Palaçoulo. Cost less than €5 and is a multitool: knife, fork, bottle opener.

:tu: :tu:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 12:11:44 AM by pfrsantos »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 01:14:59 AM
Yes, many knives fit the description

http://www.knifeplanet.net/iconic-knives-in-europe/

I like that Austrian one, it is as simple as it gets with that cylindrical handle.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Folding Knives for EDC
Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 07:21:24 AM

This one is the knife I bought.

Knives here follow the general concept of Opinel, sans Vibrolock. This one has a liner lock, most are friction folders.
I've seen Opinel blades and even a Scandi blade, but this is the most original shape. All are hand made, so you have to find one with nice fit and finish. There are several sizes. Handle is from Olive tree for the cheap ones. This goes up to other woods, bones and horns, most from local flora and fauna. The handle has a distinct V tail, but there are two other shapes, one for the abundant serrated sickle (Tsaprazi, or Svarnadaki) and one for clipped blades. It doesn't have a nail nick but it is opened easily one handed.
Tourist kitch requires the blade and handle to bear certain ornaments. Two dolfins, a Kri-Kri goat, the Crete map shape (they love it here as Cypriots do), a Cretan outdoorsman, the Phestos disk and a Mantinada, traditional verse as a local Hai Ku.
There are astonishing Damascus and file forged blades, with white bone handles. This one is inox but it cuts great out of the box. Finish is a bit crude, testifying a handmade mass production procedure.
Generally, it is as good as any Opinel. It costs here 20€ for tourists at this #9 size, which is close.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 07:30:24 AM by kkokkolis »

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: July 25, 2017, 01:52:23 PM

much like the old Spanish navajas, or Sardinian Resolza   :salute:

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: July 25, 2017, 02:04:21 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Knives here follow the general concept of Opinel, sans Vibrolock. This one has a liner lock, most are friction folders.
I've seen Opinel blades and even a Scandi blade, but this is the most original shape. All are hand made, so you have to find one with nice fit and finish. There are several sizes. Handle is from Olive tree for the cheap ones. This goes up to other woods, bones and horns, most from local flora and fauna. The handle has a distinct V tail, but there are two other shapes, one for the abundant serrated sickle (Tsaprazi, or Svarnadaki) and one for clipped blades. It doesn't have a nail nick but it is opened easily one handed.
Tourist kitch requires the blade and handle to bear certain ornaments. Two dolfins, a Kri-Kri goat, the Crete map shape (they love it here as Cypriots do), a Cretan outdoorsman, the Phestos disk and a Mantinada, traditional verse as a local Hai Ku.
There are astonishing Damascus and file forged blades, with white bone handles. This one is inox but it cuts great out of the box. Finish is a bit crude, testifying a handmade mass production procedure.
Generally, it is as good as any Opinel. It costs here 20€ for tourists at this #9 size, which is close.

General Concept!

:salute:

At least one portuguese brand, Cutelaria Martins, is making a similar model with a similar lock.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: July 25, 2017, 07:19:23 PM

General Concept!

:salute:

At least one portuguese brand, Cutelaria Martins, is making a similar model with a similar lock.

the most famous Portuguese knives are the MAM without a doubt, like Opinel is to France or Mora to Sweden, I'd say your collection is missing one!

http://www.filmam.com/
My toys:

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 10:51:54 PM
You got some winners in your collection, the Mercator is the real winner for me.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 12:41:53 PM
There are a couple more here: http://morethanjustsurviving.com/historical-knives/

1. HIGONOKAMI6. NONTRON11. BARLOW PATTERN (?)14. MIKOV FISH KNIFE

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 11:04:45 AM
Combining various sources, I made a basic list.

1. Bursa Arnavut Çakısı (Turkey- Albania)

2. Lierenaar Farmers Knife (Belgium)

3. Manly Knife (Bulgaria)

4. Mikov Fish Knive (Czechia)

5. Opinel Yatagan (France)

6. Forge de Laguioe (France)

7. Douk-Douk (France)

8. Merkator K55K (Germany)

9. Szankovits (Hungary)

10. Maskara (Hungary)

11. Stilleto (Italy)

12. Resolza Pattada (Sardinia)

13. MAM Corta e Pica (Portugal)

14. Caneças

15. (Joker) Navaja (Spain)

16. Swiss Army Knives family (Switzerland)

17. Sheffield knife (England)

18. Higonogami (Japan)

19. Nontron knife (France)

20. Scarperia knife (Italy)

21. Vendetta Corsa (France)

22. Sodbuster (US)

23. SVORD Peasant (NZ)

24. Okapi (Germany, South Africa)

25. Trattenbacher Zauckerl (Austria)

26. Traditional Slipjoints (US)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:11:03 AM by kkokkolis »

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #25 on: August 05, 2017, 11:18:12 AM
Of these, I consider 15 as penny/primitive/farmer-shepherd/historical knives, the ones with the cross
The rest are gentlemens' and/or fighting knives (the clasp knives especially)

1. Bursa Arnavut Çakısı (Turkey- Albania) +

2. Lierenaar Farmers Knife (Belgium) +

3. Manly Knife (Bulgaria) +

4. Mikov Fish Knive (Czechia) +

5. Opinel Yatagan (France) + !

6. Forge de Laguiole (France)

7. Douk-Douk (France) + !

8. Merkator K55K (Germany) + !

9. Szankovits (Hungary)

10. Maskara (Hungary)

11. Stilleto (Italy)

12. Resolza Pattada (Sardinia)

13. MAM Corta e Pica (Portugal) +

14. Caneças  (Portugal)

15. (Joker) Navaja (Spain)

16. Swiss Army Knives family (Switzerland) + !

17. Sheffield knife (England)

18. Higonogami (Japan) +

19. Nontron knife (France) +

20. Scarperia knife (Italy)

21. Vendetta Corsa (France)

22. Sodbuster (US) +

23. SVORD Peasant (NZ) +

24. Okapi (Germany, South Africa) + !

25. Trattenbacher Zauckerl (Austria) +

26. Traditional Slipjoints (US)

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 07, 2017, 02:46:06 PM
I believe that the Sodbuster is originally a German design. I also have a feeling that the majority of US traditional knives were originally British patterns?
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #27 on: August 07, 2017, 03:19:29 PM
I believe that the Sodbuster is originally a German design. I also have a feeling that the majority of US traditional knives were originally British patterns?

I don't know if the American companies copied the designs that we were already selling them, or if our patterns were influenced by the fact that we were selling heavily into the American market .... or a mixture of both.  :think: There doesn't seem to be a complete mirroring either. Lambsfoot blades and Wharncliffe's seem to be less popular in the States, and such as the Congress seems less popular over here. There seems to be less traditional double-ended penknives (aka sleeveboard) about these days too. My grandfather always carried penknives rather than the larger "farmers knives" that he would consider many traditional slippies to be.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: August 07, 2017, 04:02:00 PM
I seem to recall having read the Okapi was based in a portuguese knife. The mechanism is partly like the lock in the Caneças. Not sure if it was in fact so. I'll try to find out more.

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #29 on: August 07, 2017, 06:02:11 PM

I don't know if the American companies copied the designs that we were already selling them, or if our patterns were influenced by the fact that we were selling heavily into the American market .... or a mixture of both.  :think: There doesn't seem to be a complete mirroring either. Lambsfoot blades and Wharncliffe's seem to be less popular in the States, and such as the Congress seems less popular over here. There seems to be less traditional double-ended penknives (aka sleeveboard) about these days too. My grandfather always carried penknives rather than the larger "farmers knives" that he would consider many traditional slippies to be.

Do you mean your grandfather carried something like these Hartkopf knives?
DSC03664-hartkopf-pens.jpg
* DSC03664-hartkopf-pens.jpg (Filesize: 170.94 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%