Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knipex Plier Wrench Size

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Knipex Plier Wrench Size
on: July 22, 2017, 03:59:31 PM
I've been pondering getting one of the Knipex Plier Wrenches. Is there one size that works for general usage? I don't think I'd go with one of the bigger ones.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Knipex Plier Wrench Size
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 05:18:33 PM
The the 12.5cm (5") is too cute to be for general use, and the 15cm (6") tends to be just a bit small for stuck stuff. So the 18cm or 25cm is about right for general use.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 06:20:07 PM
On a sidenote: Since the patent has expired several copies from other good brands have also hit the market. You might want to check out the versions from Garant, Wiha or Holex as well.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 03:13:59 AM
On a sidenote: Since the patent has expired several copies from other good brands have also hit the market. You might want to check out the versions from Garant, Wiha or Holex as well.

Good to know, thanks.
- Steve

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 02:44:12 AM
Most of my main use pliers are somewhere around 6" or 7", a size that allows the pliers to open wide, give enough leverage for tough jobs, and still fit in a pants pocket, either my front pocket or the plier pocket most carpenter's pants have. 

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 04:38:34 AM
Choosing a size depends on three factors:

-  How big an object you want to grip (ie maximum jaw opening).

-  How hard you want to grip it (longer handles and larger jaws are better for increasing amounts of force).

-  How big a tool you want to carry around (or leave in the toolbox), and have room for in the location you want to use it (smaller is better for use in a confined space)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 04:40:13 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 09:48:10 AM
Choosing a size depends on three factors:

-  How big an object you want to grip (ie maximum jaw opening).

-  How hard you want to grip it (longer handles and larger jaws are better for increasing amounts of force).

-  How big a tool you want to carry around (or leave in the toolbox), and have room for in the location you want to use it (smaller is better for use in a confined space)

Yes, a more detailed approach might make sense.  :cheers: A few tidbits to add to that though:

The grip opening is certainly critical. If it doesn't open wide enough to grip what you want then you simply need bigger. The Knipex 125, 150, 180, 250, 300 and 400 pliers grip around 23, 27, 35, 46, 60 and 85 mm respectively. A useful special feature of plier wrenches is that they have almost an ratcheting action; you can maintain position and shift grip just by loosening a bit and tightening again. For that reason it is useful to have a bit wider grip than you actually need.

The plier wrenches have serious compound leverage and a varying number of adjustment positions according to size. Thus gripping power and longer handles doesn't have a traditional linear relation. In my experience the simple practical rule here is that they all grip hard enough for their respective grip sizes.

Length of the handles does affect the torque you can apply to a nut though, and this might be the main consideration: For example, even if a 125 can grip over a 21mm nut the handles are way on the short side for that size nut; a normal wrench for that size will be twice the length. Normal wrench lengths are standardized according to what torque the nut size should require, so anything shorter will likely be hard going. Thus you might want to decide on plier wrench size based on handle length rather than grip width.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:52:21 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

au Offline Brock O Lee

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 10:24:20 AM
I find the 150mm version to be very useful around the house for general purpose use. Not too small or too large. If I need more leverage I probably need a dedicated wrench.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 11:22:57 AM
 :worthless:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 11:44:41 AM
These are the two that I've found myself using the most, general household and gunsmithing. With a swisschamp for scale.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 11:48:59 AM
Smashie, can you bring them along to the meet please?  I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while, and would like to take a look if I can.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 12:06:45 PM
Smashie, can you bring them along to the meet please?  I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while, and would like to take a look if I can.

Sure, no problem, I'm bringing my small toolbox anyway, you get used to that driving a landrover  :rofl:
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 12:30:05 PM
These are the two that I've found myself using the most, general household and gunsmithing. With a swisschamp for scale.

(Image removed from quote.)

Those are not plier wrenches... The jaws on those don't move parallel to each other so they can be used as wrenches. (They are great too though, especially the larger Cobra ones!) This is a plier wrench:
8603250-01-1.jpg
* 8603250-01-1.jpg (Filesize: 35.97 KB)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:31:24 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

nz Offline Syncop8r

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 12:44:31 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Those are not plier wrenches... The jaws on those don't move parallel to each other so they can be used as wrenches. (They are great too though, especially the larger Cobra ones!) This is a plier wrench:

Well it's what Knippex call them, I'm not going to argue  :salute:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 01, 2017, 12:53:35 PM
Well I'll be..... http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=groups&parentID=1298&groupID=1368

Nice link :) If all someone wants is to wrestle nuts and the like (oh no, this will derail into the gutter... ) then I can also recommend the Knipex multiple slip joint spanner "RAPTOR" on that page.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 12:55:05 PM
If you grease them they will be hard to wrestle...

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 12:57:33 PM
Well it's what Knippex call them, I'm not going to argue  :salute:

Not much to argue over really :) Knipex calls the ones pictured for Cobra Pipe/ Water pump pliers. The bigger ones of those have a slightly different jaw geometry from most, and get a wicked good grip on big nuts and the like.

On the positive side I guess that might mean you still have a valid excuse to get some of those I call plier wrenches? :cheers: They do work great.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:22:54 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 12:58:43 PM
If you grease them they will be hard to wrestle...

Harder to grip and twist and squeeze too.

Easier to get people to pay up with a proper grip!  :o (Or so I've heard...  :angel:)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:06:19 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 08, 2018, 09:59:33 PM
I bought the 5 inch plier wrench and didn't realize they were going to be so small so I'm probably return them. Are the 7 inch version better suited for general use?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 02:57:45 AM
The 5 inch is indeed cute. While great for pocket use the short length doesn't provide the normal handle length and torque for what it can actually grip over.

It seems plier wrenches most common length is 10". That is based on Knipex having several models at that length, and that all the competitors imitating those pliers currently only make that length.

Personally I don't have the 7", but I do have all the other lengths. They will all provide plenty of holding power, so the question is really how much torque/ how long handles to you need? Try looking at the length of a normal spanner for the largest bolt size you will use it for. Spanner lengths are standardized to match bolt size torque requirements so that should give a good indication.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:02:57 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 05:13:48 AM
Do you find the 6 inch version to work well?

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 06:55:24 AM
Depends on the need. I do use the 10" the most - that is in general mechanics and household size.

For me the 6" mostly comes out in tight spaces. I do have the 10" as well so if there is room I just use that instead - more torque and easier to turn, and yet not so heavy as the bigger ones.  Many things could be done with the 6" instead if necessary I suppose. If you need to approach nuts of say size 19mm/ 3/4" then a 6" will be on the short side. You might be stronger man than me though :)

The 6" is a lot lighter and easier to carry than the 10" if that is a factor? 8" might be a nice compromise, but since I have both smaller and larger my need is kind of covered. The 6" is a fair bit larger than the 5". If I find a camera around here I'd take one of those photographic pictures for you.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:56:29 AM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 12:00:07 PM
So here is a picture of most of the plier wrenches together with some similar sized metric spanners. The 36mm spanners are longer than standard spanners, so normal 36 spanners should be approx the length of the 16" one.

A 8" one should be about the length of a 19mm or 3/4" spanner. That is actually a quite useful size.

Anyway, got to run - hope it helped.

Knipex Pliers rsz_img_8416.jpg
* Knipex Pliers rsz_img_8416.jpg (Filesize: 188.48 KB)
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 08:46:03 PM
Thanks for the comparo pictures.  :tu:

I'm probably going to go with the 7 inch version.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD