Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Favorite 58mm

Poncho65 · 113 · 11395

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Favorite 58mm
Reply #30 on: December 21, 2008, 06:39:27 AM
Just wondering is there such a thing as a Vagabond SAK and is it 58mm? :tu: :D
Yes on both counts. Here is a link to our SAKWicki article for it, http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Vagabond Its not as rare as most folks make it out to be though so don't let anyone mislead you to think it is some kind of rare knife like the "Bladeless" 58mm.

:tu: Thanks for the timely reply SM5000  :tu:

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: December 21, 2008, 04:15:58 PM
SM5000, I have a 58mm SAK- with the cuticle pusher, emergency blade, scissors, knife, ruler, oranger peeler. and the the universal driver.. What SAK is it! It is definitely not a Mini Champ..
B

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #32 on: December 21, 2008, 07:27:47 PM
SM5000, I have a 58mm SAK- with the cuticle pusher, emergency blade, scissors, knife, ruler, oranger peeler. and the the universal driver.. What SAK is it! It is definitely not a Mini Champ..
Do you have a photo? Does it have the nail file? There are several variants of the Minichamp. It may be an early version of the Minichamp.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #33 on: December 21, 2008, 07:30:42 PM

That sounds like my minichamp.  It's gotta be 15 years old now.  I'll take some pictures of it.  It was retired after getting a Leatherman Micra, which was retired when I got the Wenger clipper.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 04:18:16 AM

That sounds like my minichamp.  It's gotta be 15 years old now.  I'll take some pictures of it.  It was retired after getting a Leatherman Micra, which was retired when I got the Wenger clipper.

There were several variants of the Minichamp.  I have a 6 "bladed" minichamp that I got from Tim.  It is not as LM123 describes it though...  I think there was a model that was sold exclusively to medical personnel that only had the emergency blade, to be used as a scalpel.
- Terry

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 05:00:11 AM

There were several variants of the Minichamp.  I have a 6 "bladed" minichamp that I got from Tim.  It is not as LM123 describes it though...  I think there was a model that was sold exclusively to medical personnel that only had the emergency blade, to be used as a scalpel.
Now you are probably talking about 2 different 58mm knives with only 2 blades each. 1 was labeled "Pharmacy Knife" and had a pen blade and a Cut-n-Picker blade with yellow scales. The other model was labeled "Physician Knife" and had a pen blade and an emergency blade with red scales. Both of these knives were equipped with the regular compliment of toothpick, tweezers and a keyring. These knives were produced as advertising knives sponsored by several Pharmaceutical companies and usually had drug names on the back scales. I have one of each of these. While they are relatively hard to find they are not really rare. Photos to come later.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 03:23:30 PM
Yep, those are what I'm thinking of...  I couldn't remember how many "blades" those had.
- Terry

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 03:37:02 PM
Yep, those are what I'm thinking of...  I couldn't remember how many "blades" those had.

Interestingly the Cut-n-Picker blade as identified by Victorinox Switzerland themselves is designed for opening pill bottles. The inside and outside sharp cutter areas on the end are designed to cut through the seal of a pill bottle and the "hook" design of the tool is also made for plunging into the cotton ball and pulling it out. Some folks have had some success using it as an orange peeler but it never was meant for that job. Strange right? :think:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 05:03:12 PM
Not really that strange....  Not any more strange than a cuticle pusher.

I always disliked it when people called it an orange peeler.  It works OK for that job, but so does the can opener on 91mm SAKs...  The only true orange peeler is the one on the Executive.  I did always wonder where the "picker" part of the name came from though, and you've answered that question.  Thanks!  :cheers:
- Terry

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 05:11:51 PM
Not really that strange....  Not any more strange than a cuticle pusher.

I always disliked it when people called it an orange peeler.  It works OK for that job, but so does the can opener on 91mm SAKs...  The only true orange peeler is the one on the Executive.  I did always wonder where the "picker" part of the name came from though, and you've answered that question.  Thanks!  :cheers:
Glad to pass on info when I get it. Dan J. president of VSAKCS recently contacted Victorinox to answer that question for me. I had always heard that it was made for that purpose but really wanted confirmation before I went around running my mouth off about it without really knowing.

The Victorinox "Cuticle Pusher" makes more sense than the Wenger version found on the Wenger PTC. There is a really sharp Awl/Pokey thing with a slight curve that Wenger claims is a cuticle pusher. :think: If you have not seen what I am speaking of check out the SAKWicki site for the Wenger PTC for a visual. http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Pocket+Tool+Chest Strange!

gb Online Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #40 on: December 22, 2008, 05:16:50 PM
Disgusting I know, but the cutical pusher makes a first rate ear cleaner :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline getahl

Reply #41 on: December 22, 2008, 05:54:35 PM
Disgusting I know, but the cutical pusher makes a first rate ear cleaner :)

Eww...that's what the phillips driver on 91s are for~

I'm a fan of the rambler. I like the set up of the tools (scissors and blades need to face away from my keys!). I like my PTC for the same reason, although the scissors point inwards. I have a couple Classics that don't see any regular carry for just those reasons.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: December 22, 2008, 08:10:34 PM
Just got a Rambler , I'm liking it ! For now it's going on a neck chain.

Chris

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: December 25, 2008, 06:16:50 AM
Well I got home this evening and my little package with 3 58mm SAKs got here :mail: I got a Classic, a Vagabond and a Rambler :tu: They are are great little knives and very functional .  I think I may have to rescale the Vagabond though because the toothpick side scale has cracked :( but I have been wanting to try this anyway :D Once rescaled I may have to carry the Vagabond (even though it is discontinued ;) ) Seems to nice not to carry :drool:

I also ended up with 2 91mm a Hiker and a Climber

The climber is in very good shape but the Hiker needed a little cleaning and some TLC but it's not to bad :salute: :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: December 26, 2008, 01:06:17 AM
That sounds a good haul.  I haven't gotten into 58mm SAKs as there are too many others I need to get first.  I do mean to get a Silvertech sig lite for my car key sometime though.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #45 on: December 30, 2008, 03:33:27 AM
 :mail: Well my Mini Champ got here today :drool: and I am very pleased on how they pack so much into such a small SAK :tu: :D I got a model that has a pen do they still sell refills for it :think: If so where can I get some at :pok: :D It came and needed cleaning and sharpening but I am pleased to say that it looks new now :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: December 30, 2008, 04:49:04 AM
Also are there anymore Stayglow scales for sale in the 58mm range anywhere :think: Seems like I read somewhere about not being able to get any more (that may have been over @ SOSAK though)

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 04:53:08 AM
Rotokid will be able to sort you with a pen and most likely scales as well.

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #48 on: December 30, 2008, 05:05:33 AM
Rotokid will be able to sort you with a pen and most likely scales as well.

Neil

Thanks Neil :tu: I didn't see the stayglow so I will email him about them :D That little pen could be very handy as well :o :D

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #49 on: December 30, 2008, 04:17:58 PM
Yeah, when I got my SilverTech Signature Lite or any of my other 58mm SAKs w/ pens I thought I would never use the pen.. Nevertheless, it comes in handy all the time! BTW, Poncho, you should seriously consider buying a SilverTech Signature Lite.. It is a Classic w/ pen and a REALLY BRIGHT LED light! It makes the Vic red LED look like crap! BTW, the SilverTech is even brighter than my Spartan/Huntsman Lite!
B

us Offline getahl

Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 05:45:43 PM
Question about the pen...are they removable? Just curious since they replace the toothpick, and don't look easily removable from pictures on the Vic website.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 08:35:06 PM
Yeah, they're removable.. All you do is pull it out..
B

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #52 on: January 01, 2009, 05:07:43 AM
Question about the pen...are they removable? Just curious since they replace the toothpick, and don't look easily removable from pictures on the Vic website.
Some of the very earliest models were removeable and looked like a smaller version ofl the 91mm model pen barrels.If you really,really,really search and scrounge you might come up somebody that has a small stock of that type left.Otherwise LM123 is right about the current crop ,just pull the barrel from the scale.
I

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: January 01, 2009, 05:10:32 AM
Some of the very earliest models were removeable and looked like a smaller version ofl the 91mm model pen barrels.If you really,really,really search and scrounge you might come up somebody that has a small stock of that type left.Otherwise LM123 is right about the current crop ,just pull the barrel from the scale.

:o I would like to find some of the older model pens to go in some of my other 58mm SAKs :think: Now where to get some that will be the problem :-\ Owe well that's what the net is for I guess :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: January 06, 2009, 11:58:03 PM
What model of 58mm have a white led instead of the red one?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #55 on: January 07, 2009, 12:02:05 AM
What model of 58mm have a white led instead of the red one?

The Silvertech series I believe have the white LED.  The model you are after is the Signature Lite.
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #56 on: January 07, 2009, 12:41:06 AM
Yeah, that's the one.. Poncho, they have them at EMS! I bought mine for around $30 but they are on sale for $26 ATM..
B

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #57 on: January 07, 2009, 12:45:26 AM
Don't forget Tim has them.  :pok:
I'm back!!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #58 on: January 07, 2009, 12:47:21 AM
Yeah, Tim does too, and probably better prices! The only reason I bought it there, is because, I had to have it right then..Tim also has free shipping!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #59 on: January 07, 2009, 03:19:01 AM
Thanks guys :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00