Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

More 3D design nonsense

ca Offline JP

Re: More 3D design nonsense
Reply #30 on: August 09, 2017, 10:32:38 PM
Did you source the CF domestically?

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 09:12:36 PM
I think the 3D printing will be easier if all the openings and holes point in the same direction. That will sidestep potential issues with overhangs, bridges and deformation.

I might also have split that long part, maybe along the middle. That way the 3D printing of each half could start off from with a big flat surface and build up towards the curved areas. Starting with a flat surface (on the equally flat 3D printers build platform) minimizes the need for supports and manual finishing work afterwards. Maybe I'm just lazy? (Ok, just asked here, and I have it from good authority that it is true  :D ).

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:13:45 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 01:43:41 PM
Did you source the CF domestically?

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Nope, from China (I think) on eBay.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 01:48:02 PM
I think the 3D printing will be easier if all the openings and holes point in the same direction. That will sidestep potential issues with overhangs, bridges and deformation.

I might also have split that long part, maybe along the middle. That way the 3D printing of each half could start off from with a big flat surface and build up towards the curved areas. Starting with a flat surface (on the equally flat 3D printers build platform) minimizes the need for supports and manual finishing work afterwards. Maybe I'm just lazy? (Ok, just asked here, and I have it from good authority that it is true  :D ).

That makes sense, which is of course why I hadn't thought of it.  There are several sections of that part that could be split, the way I designed it.  I could say that it is so obviously designed to be split that I must have meant to do it that way, but I'd be lying....  :ahhh

I'll admit my first response to that suggestion was "Oh great, more assembly and potential weak points" but as I pointed out before, I will skin it in carbon fiber (non locally sourced, but if I was to go into even limited production I'd probably rethink that as it took forever to arrive) it should be more than strong enough for anything I am going to do with it.

It is however a little thick, so I will need to cut some of the size out of it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 07:28:58 PM
Personally I've ended up splitting pretty much everything that needs curved surfaces on all sides. At least my end results are better that way than going with a single part with supports.

(I make sure to add two matching blind holes in each split to make them easy to fit and assemble perfectly later using short pins).

For structural purposes I also try to orient the parts so that any areas in tension are built parallell to the build platform. That helps remedy the structural weakness between layers often introduced with 3D printing. Then again I don't use carbon fiber which should make that a non-issue. It will be interesting to hear your experiences with adding that. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:30:10 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 10:47:11 PM
Yeah, I am hoping the CF will make up for a lot of my mistakes!  :D

Def

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 11:46:29 PM
I'm pretty sure my mistakes can dwarf any fiber  :o :D But I usually also outlast and grind away mistakes through stubborn retries :)

(A few times that just ends up with me in a really deep hole though. Turns out the answer to "how hard can it be?" is sometimes "real hard").
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 11:47:32 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 22, 2017, 10:37:46 PM
Grant, what kind of printer parts and materials are we talking about? Maybe someone here has a printer that can print them...

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: August 23, 2017, 05:30:12 PM
It's just a simple carriage mount.  The new replacement hot end arrived yesterday but I haven't had a chance to install it and reassemble the machine yet though.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: August 25, 2017, 01:48:42 AM
Since some of the above images may be difficult to piece together for people not familiar with rudders, I have virtually assembled the latest set of modifications.

Def
Rudder V2.1 Assembled Deployed.jpg
* Rudder V2.1 Assembled Deployed.jpg (Filesize: 104.66 KB)
Rudder V2.1 Assembled Raised.jpg
* Rudder V2.1 Assembled Raised.jpg (Filesize: 141.17 KB)

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #40 on: August 25, 2017, 12:34:39 PM
have you allowed for turbolaser batteries?
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: August 25, 2017, 02:10:53 PM
I couldn't find a suitable location to house the 5,000 megawatt generator I need for those....

Def

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 04:23:17 AM

I guess the kayak season is mostly past. 
So that means you have 7 months to get the blame printer fixed and show off this cool project!

:salute:
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: November 09, 2017, 08:17:38 PM
Yeah, indeed.  I have refined the design a little bit from the above, and I have also created a version for rudders that attach on the top of a boat that might be a lot easier to print since it sits flat.  They would both use the same blade, and I have lots of CF so that's not a huge concern.  I can probably make ten blades out of the CF I have.  :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%