Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Latest version of the 111 mm liners

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Latest version of the 111 mm liners
on: July 24, 2017, 07:26:51 PM
The liner locking 111 mm knives have been through at least three very easy to observe cycles of adjustments. The first generation was always double sided, if there was no screwdriver to lock, the liner still stuck out from the scales. Second generation simply enlarged the protruding parts, probably to make the easier to operate in the cold or with gloves. Now, with the demise of the slider lock, we have liner locks which support single layer knives/non-locking tools in the opener layer (only protruding at the blade end if there is no (locking) tool at the opposite end).

I have just been examining my latest Sentinel (0.8413.3), and what an elegant knife it has become, but still no-nonsense and very affordable. I never thought I'd say this, but I think having the option of losing the screwdriver was the right thing to do. The knife becomes very thin and also easier to clean. It feels good in the hand, and in my personal preference, the 108 mm Solo has now been dethroned as preferred SAK when I just want a very lightweight knife with some length cutting edge. It isn't a tactical knife, it's just a nice, straightforward folding knife. The new knives are stronger, have scale tools, the steel liners will be sturdier and more corrosion resistant than aluminum, while the knives also retain their “SAK-ness”. Having a protruding liner with no tool to lock just felt a little sad, so fixing that really made a difference in my mind (also for the gripping comfort).

I think I really like the current crop of 111 mm knives. I will probably re-acquire quite a few models I already got to get the new liner lock version.

There are probably intermediate liner generations I have missed, please do add your two centicredits.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Latest version of the 111 mm liners
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 11:25:50 PM
 :salute:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 03:11:23 AM
Here are a couple of Sentinels I have... the liner locks are different... with the newer one on top...

There's another liner lock version I have... Will take pics of the DAK 1993 later...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 10:03:22 AM
Err? Older one on top, I think? Anyway, thanks for the picture! It confirms what I thought, but was too lazy to check, the shape of the lock has changed, being shorter lengthwise of the handle, but protruding a little further.

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 12:28:14 PM
Had to double check... top is new one... This is from this year's catalogue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 12:43:37 PM
This is from Vic's current website: https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Large-Pocket-Knives/Sentinel-One-Hand/p/0.8413.M3

No protruding liner in the back end of the knife (as opposed to your new one), but same shape as the new one in your picture.

Looking at https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Large-Pocket-Knives/c/SAK_LargePocketKnives the liner shape varies between the two. E.g. https://www.victorinox.com/global/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Large-Pocket-Knives/Alpineer-Grip/p/0.8321.MWC has the same (or similar) shape as the lower one in your picture.

This is interesting.
sentinel.jpg
* sentinel.jpg (Filesize: 23.74 KB)

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 08:53:00 PM
Showing the different liners of DAKs 1993 and 2010.
DSC07311-Interservice-I-and-II.jpg
* DSC07311-Interservice-I-and-II.jpg (Filesize: 178.21 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%