Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Here, let me open that bottle for you...... with my pants.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
A couple of weeks ago while kayaking I decided to cool off in the middle of the lake and go for a swim.  I had a great time, despite the bulk of my PFD making it difficult to climb back in my boat, but that's a completely different story.

As I was climbing back in the boat I realized that I'd forgotten that I was wearing a leather belt- a major no no for swim wear, right?  Fortunately the belt wasn't damaged, didn't shrink, which was great, but it isn't a situation I really want to try again. 

So, I need an adventure belt.

What I was looking for was as little metal as possible, or at least a non ferrous metal that is less likely to corrode on contact with water, either fresh or marine.  I also wanted no leather, for obvious reasons, and I also didn't want to pay a lot for it.

After some looking I decided to order a belt on eBay, but it hasn't arrived yet and, while visiting my parents and spending time with my nephews last weekend (my parents live on a river) I found myself going into the water a couple of times with the leather belt again.  No time to wait for eBay, I decided to get a belt locally.

After checking a few places I found the Bison Tap Cap 30mm belt at one of my favorite outdoor shops, Mountain Equipment Co Op and my decision was made.  There is a regular buckle and one with a bottle opener, and they are both the same price, so I decided to go for the added function.

I got the Ladderlock Grey version because that was the only one they had in stock in my size- or at least the only (first :P) one I found in my size.  So far I like it- the friction seems to hold well, but we will see how that lasts as the belt wears in.  It feels a bit stiff so far, and I have yet to test the bottle opening capability, but successfully passed the "hold up my pants" test, so that's major points in it's favor.

It doesn't matter how good a bottle opener is if I am arrested for indecent exposure.   :facepalm:

I have a few adventures planned between now and the weekend, as well as over the weekend itself, so hopefully it will continue to be successful!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Here, let me open that bottle for you...... with my pants.
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 03:44:00 PM
Just don't use the phrase ' let me whip this out for you ' before reaching for the bottle opener

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 03:49:03 PM
Members who looked at this item purchased

PackTowl Personal Towel
MEC T1 Classic Briefs - Men's

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 04:10:15 PM

PackTowl Personal Towel

That is freaking hilarious.  I hadn't noticed that!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:57:08 PM
Always got a leather belt while out and about :think:

I've hung underneath waterfalls and stood on a mountain top during a thunderstorm.

So far it rides my belt just as good as when I first got it (and it was second hand from my dad back then) for 8 years, 5 days a week...

Just let it air dry (no external heat sources) and you should be fine.

I've never seen a cow rip in half after a day of rain :D

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 06:33:39 PM
You could always try a stylish piece of cord or rope.  Bailing twine may even fill the gap.  Just practice knot tying and untying skills. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 06:51:21 PM
Of all the things to put on a belt :facepalm: :rofl:

Glad you found an adventure belt anyways :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 01:02:01 PM
I know this is a little off topic, but I have found my best belt is actually an Uncle Mike's 3 gun competition belt. These are a two piece belt system. The under belt goes under your belt loops, and the upper belt fits on top and everything is held via plenty of Velcro. Talk about infinite adjustments, no worries of damaging belt holes, ect. Best part, the belt is super comfortable with no belt buckle. I started wearing my under-belt by accident 100% of the time after an IPSC competition. I forgot to switch the belt and got lazy and started to wear the competition belt. It didn't take long to add my other belt to my other pair of pants. I have never looked back since.

http://www.unclemikes.com/bags-cases/belts

Def, I bet if you were to source yourself one of these, you probably might never go back to the more traditional belts. The competition belt does not have the padded inner belt. I found the 3 gun to be a bit bulky at first, but the comfort of that belt far outshines all others. The non padded competition belt might be more to your liking. I know that when I go to compete, I just simply grab the right outer-belt with holster and magazine carriers. I now wear the under-belt and am quite content with the whole system.

:tu:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:13:16 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 08:24:39 PM
your bottle opener is placed a bit better for use while in use as a belt vs my Burton one:
IMG_20170727_202121.jpg
* IMG_20170727_202121.jpg (Filesize: 186.91 KB)
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 10:26:42 PM
Dan, I used to wear the Uncle Mike's Inner Duty Belt for years.  Boy that thing stood up to a lot of abuse.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2017, 04:04:03 AM
 :tu:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 04:23:04 AM
All Bison, my fav is the second one in from the right, but there all great, any questions ask away..
JR
IMG_5128.PNG
* IMG_5128.PNG (Filesize: 235.42 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 01:26:46 AM
Thanks, but it's a belt, so I should be able to muddle my way through even the most complex operations!  :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 06:03:43 PM
Just to update this.....

I've been wearing the Bison Combination Bottle- Opener/Pants-Retention Device pretty well exclusively since I bought it and i have a few thoughts.

The edges are sharp, so this belt is obviously not designed for the Muffin Top crowd like myself.  I mean, they aren't sharp like they are going to cut you, they just seem uncomfortable to any flesh that comes in contact with the edges.  Don't get his belt if you have been forgetting your morning sit ups for a few decades.

Further, the end of the belt where the nylon weave has been singed is also a bit pokey and often digs into my stomach when I sit down.  Again, some sit ups would probably solve this issue....

Lastly, the edges of the belt that slide through the buckle seem to be fraying a bit.  On the one hand I am not sure if I am comfortable with the fraying, but on the other I am looking at it as a "break in" kind of thing and maybe that will start to fix the sharp edges I mentioned above.

Oh, and the bottle opener functions well even without having to remove one's pants, although it does look very awkward.  It's amusing enough around a camp fire but probably not something you'd want to do at a dinner party!   :ahhh

Overall I like the belt and it has been working out, despite some minor issues.

Def

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: October 21, 2017, 06:12:30 PM
Ohhh a bison, nice, no pics?
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 06:16:36 PM
I'll post some pics shortly.  Right now if I tried you'd probably see more of my hairy belly button than I think you'd be comfortable with...

Def

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 06:20:28 PM
Lol,,
JR

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 06:28:29 PM

PackTowl Personal Towel

That is freaking hilarious.  I hadn't noticed that!

Def

:rofl:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Tired_Yeti

Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 01:02:52 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 04:45:03 PM
Here are some pics for you.

As you can see, it is a simple friction loop, and I went with the Ladderlock grey design instead of the plain black one so I could be totally stylin'.

Apparently they give patents out for pretty much anything.  Here's the ACTUAL PATENT INFO if you are curious, but I wonder how specific this is- is any bottle opener/belt buckle combo is an infringement, or if only this style is an infringement?  Not that it really matters....

And yes, I got a Large, although I think the medium one would have fit as well.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The end is now rounded, but the singed end used to come to a bit of a point.  This is still not comfortable, but since rounding the edge it is somewhat better.

And then there's the fraying.  I'm not too worried about it yet, but we will see how bad it becomes.  It is pretty well just "personalization" at this point- if it stays like this I'm fine with it.  If it gets worse, not so much...

Def

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 05:57:21 PM
Nice :tu:
JR

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 09:42:56 PM
Have any of yours frayed?  And if so, how bad have they gotten?

Def

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 10:24:36 PM
Here’s a pic of my two most used, you can see the little bow from where the buckle grabs or the belt folds around the buckle, but I don’t see any fraying. Maybe run a lighter quickly down the edge? Not to burn the belt but to just get rid of the fray?
JR

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 12:52:33 AM
I have that bump too.  It formed pretty quickly.  If the fraying starts yo get bad I'll singe it but in the meantime I am curious to see how bad it will get.... If at all.

Def

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 03:32:53 AM
I’m curious too, cause I had 5 bisons(gave one to the kid) and I haven’t had a problem with any of them.
JR

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 07:28:27 AM
That muffin top issue is really painful, I wish jeans had a built in belt option or I lost some weight, but can't see myself wearing suspenders

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 07:59:41 AM
That muffin top issue is really painful, I wish jeans had a built in belt option or I lost some weight, but can't see myself wearing suspenders
True that, I love how the newer cargo pants have those adjustable waist straps. Suspenders would be so great, cause I got no hips, the gut pushes down, and the butt pushes up, but like you said I can’t see myself wearing suspenders!
JR

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 01:18:06 PM
These belt buckle tools always remind me of the Sex Machine character From dusk till dawn. I wonder why...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 06:03:47 PM
These belt buckle tools always remind me of the Sex Machine character From dusk till dawn. I wonder why...  :D
With that little dual revolver, lol
JR

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%