Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best tool deal you've ever found?

us Offline Zhenchok

Best tool deal you've ever found?
on: July 26, 2017, 06:05:50 PM
I wanted to start a new thread, sinse I recently won the two Victorinox Solider/Wagner knives being shipped to me by Grant now. I want you all to share a story of the best deal/find/ trade that you ever got on a multitool or a knife.  The dream story we can all drool about.  I have a few that I'll start the thread with.

One time on the way to work, the weather was really rainy, I saw something shiny on the side of the road.  I was curious enough to stop to check it out.  When I picked it up I couldnt believe it, it was a Leatherman Crunch.  It was a bit scratched up but overall in great condition.  I still own this Crunch 10 years later. 

Another story is that recently I was at my local Home Depot and saw the holiday skeletool on clearance.  When I rang it up it came up as a penny.  The lady was like well I can't sell it to you for that price.  I ended up calling the manager and he said that it is too much of a hastle to deal with this, i'll just give it to you for a penny.  The lady was upset that he gave it to me, probably wanted to keep it for herself.

My final one is I was in the process of building a home a few years ago and I would periodically check my dumpster as my builder tended to throw away barely used materials, some of which would simply be taken home by the tradesmen. Since it was not his money spent on this material, he would throw away perfectly good lumber and materials.  One day on my routine check, I saw something that caught my eye, i pulled it out and it turned out to be an original leather pouch for a Leatherman wave.  I actualy had one in one of those crapy nylon ones for my wave , so I was happy that I found a leather one as an upgrade.

I honestly have a few more stories but wanted to hear yours, please share.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 06:56:03 PM by Zhenchok »
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Best tool deal you've ever found?
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:17:06 PM
I've done dumpster diving for tools once. I cheated though. I knew it was the motherload even before going in:

I had had a major shipment of tools for some metalworking machinery on the way. The freight lorry though had driven off into the woods, rolled a few times, and thrown everything all around. That included some other freight consisting of pallets of paint cans... The freight company picked up all they could find, but the paint covered all the stuff.

The insurance people then decided that removing all the paint would be too expensive, so the freight company was told to just scrap everything. My order would just be repeated and covered by the insurance company. Fair enough, but that did leave the question of where all the original stuff had ended up? I quickly discovered that the freight company hadn't bothered to go far with it.

Shortly later I had dug out a small fortune in tools, and after removing the well painted packaging most were still in perfect condition. :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:18:15 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 09:23:35 PM
Wow guys :o I don't think I have ever found a MT or a SAK :-\ If I do I am sure all of you will know though  :D

Great thread :tu: :like:

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 09:44:21 PM
Yes, somehow they are a lot easier to loose than to find. Not fair at all.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 09:55:44 PM
Best deal I got was a Leatherman core for $13 bucks at Wal-Mart

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 10:09:31 PM
not nearly as impressive, as I've only found Opinels on the street and a small Aitor SAK-alike but

in monetary deals, I got a Spirit + Pouch + Ratchet for $34 and a limited edition Wenger S557 for $15, as well as a MP700 + like new SOG PowerPlier (used but in very good condition) for $30
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 10:40:51 PM
Lady was selling a couple of Spanish Aitor pocket knives on ebay. I put in a low bid on one. No one else bid on either, so the lady sent me both for the opening bid for one. Very nice of her.

england Offline Kev D

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 02:15:05 PM
Best tool deal I've ever got was my first Surge. Work bought it so it was free to me, and when I moved jobs I took home  :D

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 02:21:09 PM
Best deals I ever got... hm.. an OG Leatherman SuperTool for 4 USD, a Sterling Silver Victorinox Minichamp for 15 USD...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 04:29:35 PM
On my 10 year work anniversary they gave us a company catalog to choose our free gift. I spotted a Swiss Tool with sheath and went for it. I keep it in my work bag in case I need something full size.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 04:42:59 PM
My best deal ever?

A LM Charge AL at half the retail price :/
Or my recent Compact, second hand at a third of retail.
A well used CT34 at a third of retail as well.

Oh, almost forgot, a Spirit S Black Oxide, barely used for €55.

Nothing really fancy I guess.

Offline vadsoom

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 01:25:55 AM
I bought a dozen Leatherman Cores for $6 each several years ago. Apparently, they were being phased out and placed in the clearance aisle. Lots of happy people for Christmas that year!

us Offline gregpost

Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 01:54:14 AM
I have been lucky with retail deals for Leatherman and Victorinox but I would have to say my best deal was a Victorinox Ranger that I got for $3 including shipping from Amazon. This tool got used so much until I "retired" it, probably the best money I've ever spent.

Some other good retail deals all new:

Leatherman Wave $25
Leatherman ST300 and Micra $27
Leatherman Rebar and Micra $23
Leatherman Wingman $10 - This gets used everyday on something, since I bought it a few years ago.

I've also got many deals on SOG and Gerber but since those tools haven't been used much, it doesn't feel like a deal. If I had paid retail prices for those tools  :twak:

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 03:56:17 AM
Got one of these for free last year;

:hatsoff:

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 06:45:52 AM
A forum I was on ran a deal of anything Leatherman for 50%. Picked up a Charge AL and two Waves, the latter for family who wanted in on the deal.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

england Offline Kev D

Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 11:26:21 AM
Got one of these for free last year;

(Image removed from quote.)

:hatsoff:

Yep that about wins it

us Offline Zhenchok

Reply #16 on: August 01, 2017, 07:08:12 PM
I'll share another story,  I was walking home to my car.  In the middle of a large parking lot,  I found a channelock plier and Klein needle nose pliers.  Not a car in sight, mine was parked at a further parking structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“All human beings have three lives: public, private, and secret.” ― Gabriel García Márquez

ca Offline ba-ta

Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 06:06:24 AM
Best deal was finding a Leatherman Blast on the ground of the site I was on.  It was just sitting there all opened up in the middle of the courtyard.  And I found a Gerber remix today at work, but that's more of a mixed blessing...  Best deal I paid money for was the Leatherman kick that I bought back in February bnib for $25.
If it's stupid and it works..... 
It ain't stupid.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 03:29:33 PM
Best deal was finding a Leatherman Blast on the ground of the site I was on.  It was just sitting there all opened up in the middle of the courtyard.  And I found a Gerber remix today at work, but that's more of a mixed blessing...  Best deal I paid money for was the Leatherman kick that I bought back in February bnib for $25.

More like a remixed blessing  :D

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 03:43:20 PM
The mis-priced Swisschamp XLT I got, less than half price  :ahhh
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 04:00:17 PM
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 04:03:01 PM
My best deal ever?

Did you find that Charge AL on 2dehands.be ? And was it a seller living in Hasselt ?

If so, it might be the same seller where I bought my Charges (yes, plural ... I bought 4 of them there  ::)).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 04:03:49 PM
I've got some great deals at the flea market. 
Charge TTi $30
Super Tool 200 $5
Sideclip $5
Mini tool $5

Honorable mentions G Shocks most all for $5 or less.  Most all were in need of a battery. 
Esse Quam Videri

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 04:35:09 PM
Charge TTi $30
Super Tool 200 $5
Sideclip $5
Mini tool $5

Honorable mentions G Shocks most all for $5 or less.  Most all were in need of a battery.
My jaw dropped reading that price for the Charge. Woooooooooooooow!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 04:43:39 PM
Charge TTi $30
Super Tool 200 $5
Sideclip $5
Mini tool $5

My jaw dropped reading that price for the Charge. Woooooooooooooow!
The Americans do get very nice prices on their Leathermans, new and used, don't they? :cry:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 05:05:22 PM
My best deal ever?

Did you find that Charge AL on 2dehands.be ? And was it a seller living in Hasselt ?

If so, it might be the same seller where I bought my Charges (yes, plural ... I bought 4 of them there  ::)).
Nah, mine was from Bilzen.
He charged me only €75 and IIRC the one in Hasselt asked 110.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #26 on: August 02, 2017, 05:13:51 PM
My best deal ever?

The guy I bought them from asked 90 Euro for one Charge, but I told him I would take 2 for 150 Euro and he said it was okay.  A couple of days later I looked on 2dehands.be and saw that, once again, he had a couple of Charges available, so I contacted him for a second time and again bought two Charges for 150 Euro. 

So now my boys and I all have a Charge AL (and yours truly has one spare Charge, which is now signed by Tim Leatherman  8)).

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 02, 2017, 05:14:56 PM
My best deal ever?

The guy I bought them from asked 90 Euro for one Charge, but I told him I would take 2 for 150 Euro and he said it was okay.  A couple of days later I looked on 2dehands.be and saw that, once again, he had a couple of Charges available, so I contacted him for a second time and again bought two Charges for 150 Euro. 

So now my boys and I all have a Charge AL (and yours truly has one spare Charge, which is now signed by Tim Leatherman  8)).
TTIs?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #28 on: August 02, 2017, 05:18:35 PM
My best deal ever?

TTIs?

No, I bought four Charge AL's, I do have a Charge TTi, but that one I ordered online from a Dutch multitool/knives site.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: August 02, 2017, 05:49:03 PM
My best deal ever?

TTIs?

No, I bought four Charge AL's, I do have a Charge TTi, but that one I ordered online from a Dutch multitool/knives site.
Knivesandtools probably :D

That's where my CT41 came from.

My 108mm GAK, birth year DAK and Swisstool X all came from 2dehands.

But competition is growing lately.
I constantly get outbid by the same smurf on everything I like :rant:

So I tend to return that favour just to drive his price up.
Muhahahahaaaa :angel:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD