Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nite Ize Universal Holster Stretch: first look

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Nite Ize Universal Holster Stretch: first look
on: July 28, 2017, 06:48:46 PM
I just got home from the stores.

When browsing the stock of a local outdoors chain store, I noticed their Nite Ize products.
I've seen them a few weeks ago for the first time and thought it was a nice and welcome addition to their offerings.

This time however, I came across a Universal Stretch Holster.
I was holding a Vic fake leather molle sheath to build a set from, but this felt like something alot better for that job. And at the same price, why not?
So I passed the register and brought it home.
Natural light is running out for today so excuse me for the rather cold pics.

It's build from a rather thick nylon, probably Cordura, with a 360 degree, flexible, plastic rotating clip.
The closure is done by a sturdy feeling button snap, which I think most people are prefering over hook and loop fasteners.

The shape of the clip allows for easy attachment, but nearly impossible accidental detachment.

The sides are build up with fold-out flaps, kept in place by a double row of strong elastics, allowing to store both thinner and thicker tools. The sides will just follow the tool and the elastics will hold everything snug inside.

The packaging shows some nice examples and also shows the fact that a Leatherman Bit Card can be stored in the backside of the holster.

Some own examples:
Rebar:

Charge:

Swisstool:

Swisschamp:

The open space on top looks as if some tools aren't safe inside, but the elastics do their job perfecly and keeps the contents inside!

It'll come camping with me next week, so I'll be able to see how it holds up.
On first view and touch however, this looks promissing! :2tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Nite Ize Universal Holster Stretch: first look
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 06:53:24 PM
Very cool.  :D
Does it feel... bulky for the size?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 07:05:51 PM
Very cool.  :D
Does it feel... bulky for the size?
Nothing more bulky then my old gen Charge sheath, alltough the clip might make it stand out a little more.
Might do a comparisson pic?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 07:20:59 PM
So, the comparison shot:

The Nite Ize sheath is a little more protruding then the LM one, but looking closely it's obvious that this is caused by the clip, which can be rotated out of the way when driving for example.

It's larger, but can hold larger tools too...

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 07:32:50 PM
Nice, and it's a snap and not Velcro, cool!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 07:40:59 PM
Also noticed that my Led Lenser P3 can be attached at the side of this sheath as well by placing it between the side of the sheath and the elastic band, just like with the LM sheath.

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 08:46:32 PM
I have one of these and the build quality is pretty good. I also have their flashlight holster from the same line and it's quite nice as well  :tu:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 08:49:36 PM
I have one of these and the build quality is pretty good. I also have their flashlight holster from the same line and it's quite nice as well  :tu:
I noticed those too, yes!
Didn't need one so left it at that.
It seems like they've made 2 decent products for the people who are looking for a "one for all"
Show content
And all for one :facepalm:

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2017, 10:43:07 PM
Thanks for sharing! I need a sheath so I will check these out.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 02:14:57 AM
Thanks for sharing, Mechanikal. Very helpful pics. How much did you pay for it?

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: July 29, 2017, 09:13:19 AM
In euros: 13,95.
So my fast guess is that it would be around  $15.

ph Offline an0nemus

• No Life Club
  • I Tool Therefore I Am
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2017, 09:18:08 AM
In euros: 13,95.
So my fast guess is that it would be around  $15.
Seems reasonable price for what it offers

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 04:57:50 AM
My main problem with the Nite-Ize stretch holster is that it is bulky and sticks out too far from the body.   I cut off the cover flap and the front which gave the holster a lower profile.

Also, the plastic belt clip rotated when I sat down so I glued the clip to prevent unwanted rotation.  Still, the holster doesn't feel quite right when worn.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 10:53:37 AM
Just found this topic today  :-[.

It looks like we we go to the same outdoor store (probably not in the same town, but you know what I mean, right  ;)).

I've held this sheath in my hand the last two times that I visited the store, I've been thinking about getting one for my Swisstool.  I own a lot of great sheaths for my Leatherman Wave/Charge sized tools, nylon ones, Leather ones and even a custom leather sheat made by MTO's Gohard  :drool:, but for my trusty Swisstool I only have one sheath that I really like, and that's the nylon sheath with snap closure that came with both the Swisstools that I bought from Tim (edc store/Felinevet).  These sheaths are different from the ones that come with the Swisstool over here in Europe, and  although the European ones also have great build quality, they carry a bit too high on the belt for my likings (both the leather and the Nylon version), there's also the green MOLLE compatible Vic Sheath, and this one doesn't sit too high on the belt, but it feels way to flimsy for my liking ...

So, long story short, I've been thinking about getting me one of these Nite Ize sheaths for my Swisstool, but since I didn't really know if it would fit okay, I left it where it was.  But looking at your pics Nick, it seems as if it's a perfect fit for the Swisstool, so I might have to take another look at one of these ... :think:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 11:14:55 AM
Just found this topic today  :-[.

It looks like we we go to the same outdoor store (probably not in the same town, but you know what I mean, right  ;)).

I've held this sheath in my hand the last two times that I visited the store, I've been thinking about getting one for my Swisstool.  I own a lot of great sheaths for my Leatherman Wave/Charge sized tools, nylon ones, Leather ones and even a custom leather sheat made by MTO's Gohard  :drool:, but for my trusty Swisstool I only have one sheath that I really like, and that's the nylon sheath with snap closure that came with both the Swisstools that I bought from Tim (edc store/Felinevet).  These sheaths are different from the ones that come with the Swisstool over here in Europe, and  although the European ones also have great build quality, they carry a bit too high on the belt for my likings (both the leather and the Nylon version), there's also the green MOLLE compatible Vic Sheath, and this one doesn't sit too high on the belt, but it feels way to flimsy for my liking ...

So, long story short, I've been thinking about getting me one of these Nite Ize sheaths for my Swisstool, but since I didn't really know if it would fit okay, I left it where it was.  But looking at your pics Nick, it seems as if it's a perfect fit for the Swisstool, so I might have to take another look at one of these ... :think:
My main problem with the Nite-Ize stretch holster is that it is bulky and sticks out too far from the body.   I cut off the cover flap and the front which gave the holster a lower profile.

Also, the plastic belt clip rotated when I sat down so I glued the clip to prevent unwanted rotation.  Still, the holster doesn't feel quite right when worn.

(Image removed from quote.)
Well to add to this,
The rotation clip is really tight and needs quite some force to move.
Maybe they updated the design?
It's further protruding then most sheaths. But given it's price range, possibilities and wide tool holding capabilities, I feel like it's worth the money.
The full size Swisstool looks like it's tailored for this sheath or vice versa.
Above all, one can add a mini ratchet, mini lighter or pen (2 pieces max) behind the elastic bands and a LM bit card behind the back. Which all makes it a really decent toolset in a >relatively < small package :tu:

Parnass: I really like the way you altered yours to become more like a holster! :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%